Retaking prereq classes or taking other science classes to boost low gpa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

john1989

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Can someone please give me some good advise about the following issue. I graduated in June 2012 from UCLA with a cumulative gpa of 2.81 and science gpa slightly lower. I had a rather rough undergrad experience and currently am very confused on what to do to raise my gpa. Since I have a bunch of Cs in my prereq classes, I was thinking about retaking those classes through UCLA extension and getting As in them. I am quite confident that I can get As in chem, physics, and bio classes now that my personal troubles and distractions are far far away. However some have advised me to take upper division science classes to boost my gpa faster; they told me that retaking undergrad intro classes would not help me that much. I am stuck and confused. I would assume that retaking core science classes and doing well in them would look better than taking random upper div sciences.. Can any of you kind souls please advise me on what would be the best option? Thank you all so much.

Also, I have been heavily considering doing an SMP program at Univeristy of Southern California. However, they accept a minimum gpa of 3.0 (just like many other SMP programs). Do you think there is way of getting admittance to such an SMP or should I just keep taking science classes and do my own postbac. PLEASE HELP!

Members don't see this ad.

Take a semester or two of upper level science classes to raise the GPA to a 3.0 and then go for the SMP. Retaking classes doesn't necessarily do you any good, though I'm sure there are plenty of people who'd argue the opposite.

Status
Not open for further replies.