This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am really blind here but i don't see a RUSVM Purple 2024 class (September 2024) on facebook. Is there something i'm missing? Can someone drop the link heehee

I dont think they have made one yet, cause i am also waiting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I am really blind here but i don't see a RUSVM Purple 2024 class (September 2024) on facebook. Is there something i'm missing? Can someone drop the link heehee
SAME ive looked for it a couple of times now and cant seem to find it

I could not find one either!

Members don't see this ad :)

I don’t think there’s one set up yet. Ross sets it up for students (because they make the orientation leaders and some of the staff members part of the group too so they can give answers on lots of things). It probably will get set up by next month I’d say, after May semester starts.

Reactions: 1 users
So I'm an impatient person working on being patient haha.... I was asked if I wanted to consider applying for the May 2020 term but I have a lease until July 2020 and think I should keep my application for the fall 2020. However, I'm concerned there will be fewer available seats for the fall term entry..... What do you guys think?

So I'm an impatient person working on being patient haha.... I was asked if I wanted to consider applying for the May 2020 term but I have a lease until July 2020 and think I should keep my application for the fall 2020. However, I'm concerned there will be fewer available seats for the fall term entry..... What do you guys think?
When were you asked?

Waiting for an interview
Hmm, that is a tough decision for sure then. They tried offering me a seat in May as well although I was already accepted so I can see your concern. The way I see it, is, if you go for the May start date for this app, I believe you can reapply after this decision for the fall immediately after and try for an interview there as well. The May class is for sure much smaller than a typical September class but I think.

Hello everyone,
so ive recently decided to make a big lifetime decision and go to Ross to study veterinarian medicine. Me and my boyfriend want to be veterinarians and Ross seems like a great school that seems like it would give us a good education. But I wanted some advice from those that are there or been recently to how the school is. Is there a good environment and how hard is it to live there compared to the US. My other biggest question involves my dog. She is a 2-3 year old spayed female husky, super obedient and calm.
What I would like to know is that from those of you who have pets, what is it like?
Are you glad you brought them along? Or do you regret it.
How long are the days, like do you get home late from activities and clubs?
I am contemplating that if I take her and the days are too long to maybe adopt a calm good dog to keep her company, so she wont be as lonely
Are pets a big distraction for studying and the school itself?
Is it expensive to maintain a dog?
Is dog food available easily or is it better to bring it with me.
If I take her with me I will also have my boyfriend, although he is also studying at least I won’t be me alone. I have the ability to leave her with my parents but the problem is that she is very bonded with me and my boyfriend and we are the only people she listens too. Whenever I’ve left her with my parents, who have only ever handled chihuahuas, she usually stops eating and gets depressed and won’t move from the window until I return, which makes me feel terrible if I leave her behind, but I do want to do what’s best for her. Don’t get me wrong she doesn’t have separation anxiety but after a few days of me gone she always gets really down. I just want some advice from other people experiences, so I can make a good educated decision knowing that I’m doing what’s best for her. Thank you for reading this super long paragraph and I thank you in advance for any advice you may have.

Hello everyone,
so ive recently decided to make a big lifetime decision and go to Ross to study veterinarian medicine. Me and my boyfriend want to be veterinarians and Ross seems like a great school that seems like it would give us a good education. But I wanted some advice from those that are there or been recently to how the school is. Is there a good environment and how hard is it to live there compared to the US. My other biggest question involves my dog. She is a 2-3 year old spayed female husky, super obedient and calm.
What I would like to know is that from those of you who have pets, what is it like?
I am contemplating that if I take her and the days are too long to maybe adopt a calm good dog to keep her company, so she wont be as lonely
If I take her with me I will also have my boyfriend, although he is also studying at least I won’t be me alone. I have the ability to leave her with my parents but the problem is that she is very bonded with me and my boyfriend and we are the only people she listens too. Whenever I’ve left her with my parents, who have only ever handled chihuahuas, she usually stops eating and gets depressed and won’t move from the window until I return, which makes me feel terrible if I leave her behind, but I do want to do what’s best for her. Don’t get me wrong she doesn’t have separation anxiety but after a few days of me gone she always gets really down. I just want some advice from other people experiences, so I can make a good educated decision knowing that I’m doing what’s best for her. Thank you for reading this super long paragraph and I thank you in advance for any advice you may have.

Hi, Im currently a student at Ross, I'll be heading into my 3rd semester in a couple weeks so i figure I can provide some insight.
1. The Environment: overall I say its pretty good the majority of students are very nice and willing to help others out, most of the faculty are also wonderful, all very intelligent.
2. Living outside the US is hard is some aspects but its not the end of the world and ends up being personal, I've met many students who are not big fans of the island but that said I've also met many students who adore the island and consider it a second home. There are a few different grocery stores Rams being the main one people use which has a lot of the same foods and brands you'd find in the US. Island time is a real thing so things often operate slower than they would in the states, most locals are very friendly and willing to help if you get lost. The beaches are beautiful, and there are many good resturants and some bars that students hang out on the weekend.
3. I personally did not bring an animal down with me but I did adopt a cat this past semester. Having a pet here is not much different from in the states I'm glad I adopted my cat i have been much happier with him. Most students either bring pets down or end up adopting one or two, we have a couple of pet adoption organizations run by students that adopt out animals and they also do supply sales where they sell toys, collars, leashes etc. Dog food is easily available on island we have a Hills store on campus that you place your order online and pick up when they are ready you'll find the info for that on the Ross Students page so Hills posts that orders are open then you follow their link and instructions to order, however if there is a particular brand of food you feed her and don't want to change that then it would be best to bring your own.
4. The length of the days depends on the semester you're in, so 1st semester Monday, Wednesday Usually around 10am-3pm can be as early as 8am depending on the anatomy lab group you are A or B, Tuesday Thursday 9am-3pm some days might be 5pm depending on youre anatomy lab or EVS lab. However, Ross uses a program called Panopto where all of our lectures are recorded and put up there to watch if you miss lecture or some part of it for whatever reason and those are usually posted within 2 hours after the class ends so unless its mandatory attendance you can stay at your apartment or dorm and watch lectures there plenty of students do that they are known as Panopto Students.

Hope I answered all your questions let me know if theres anything I missed or anything specific you want to know.

Hi, Im currently a student at Ross, I'll be heading into my 3rd semester in a couple weeks so i figure I can provide some insight.
1. The Environment: overall I say its pretty good the majority of students are very nice and willing to help others out, most of the faculty are also wonderful, all very intelligent.
2. Living outside the US is hard is some aspects but its not the end of the world and ends up being personal, I've met many students who are not big fans of the island but that said I've also met many students who adore the island and consider it a second home. There are a few different grocery stores Rams being the main one people use which has a lot of the same foods and brands you'd find in the US. Island time is a real thing so things often operate slower than they would in the states, most locals are very friendly and willing to help if you get lost. The beaches are beautiful, and there are many good resturants and some bars that students hang out on the weekend.
3. I personally did not bring an animal down with me but I did adopt a cat this past semester. Having a pet here is not much different from in the states I'm glad I adopted my cat i have been much happier with him. Most students either bring pets down or end up adopting one or two, we have a couple of pet adoption organizations run by students that adopt out animals and they also do supply sales where they sell toys, collars, leashes etc. Dog food is easily available on island we have a Hills store on campus that you place your order online and pick up when they are ready you'll find the info for that on the Ross Students page so Hills posts that orders are open then you follow their link and instructions to order, however if there is a particular brand of food you feed her and don't want to change that then it would be best to bring your own.
4. The length of the days depends on the semester you're in, so 1st semester Monday, Wednesday Usually around 10am-3pm can be as early as 8am depending on the anatomy lab group you are A or B, Tuesday Thursday 9am-3pm some days might be 5pm depending on youre anatomy lab or EVS lab. However, Ross uses a program called Panopto where all of our lectures are recorded and put up there to watch if you miss lecture or some part of it for whatever reason and those are usually posted within 2 hours after the class ends so unless its mandatory attendance you can stay at your apartment or dorm and watch lectures there plenty of students do that they are known as Panopto Students.

Hope I answered all your questions let me know if theres anything I missed or anything specific you want to know.
Thank you for responding
It was actually really helpful. As I only know one person that had gone and that was in the 2000s. So I was a bit worried about everything. I am really excited to go as I think it would be a great experience and it’s always good to have an insight. I didn’t know that the classes worked like that. I’m the type to go to class and ask questions but it still nice to know they have advanced programs like that. Thanks again for the help!!

Members don't see this ad :)

Hey,
Were you accepted for May 2020 or Fall 2020? If you were accepted for Fall than they can't force you to start May 2020 and they won't revoke your Fall 2020 acceptance. However, the fall class tends to be the largest class, I started last fall and honestly I dont mind the class size I think we started with around 180ish maybe somewhat closer to 200 not exactly sure the number but in the ballpark. It's best to do what you feel comfortable with, keep in mind that the may semester is going to be online at least till the week of June 21st, it may end up being completely online depending on how this pandemic plays out... but based upon the information given to us we will be online till mid semester which will be around the week of June 21st.

Hi,
So I started Fall 2019 and our class page was made mid-May of 2019. I remember we got an email from Ross alerting us to join the page so I'd imagine they will do the same thing for you guys.

Hey,
Were you accepted for May 2020 or Fall 2020? If you were accepted for Fall than they can't force you to start May 2020 and they won't revoke your Fall 2020 acceptance. However, the fall class tends to be the largest class, I started last fall and honestly I dont mind the class size I think we started with around 180ish maybe somewhat closer to 200 not exactly sure the number but in the ballpark. It's best to do what you feel comfortable with, keep in mind that the may semester is going to be online at least till the week of June 21st, it may end up being completely online depending on how this pandemic plays out... but based upon the information given to us we will be online till mid semester which will be around the week of June 21st.
Thanks for the reply... I haven’t even had an interview yet just speaking into existence

lol Panopto student right here :rofl:

I have three pets and study well from home, so I like Panopto-ing lectures to give myself some more flexibility. My grades also actually went way up after I started mainly using Panopto (I can basically structure my own schedule more), but everyone’s different. I definitely know peeps who learn better sitting in class.

lol Panopto student right here :rofl:

I have three pets and study well from home, so I like Panopto-ing lectures to give myself some more flexibility. My grades also actually went way up after I started mainly using Panopto (I can basically structure my own schedule more), but everyone’s different. I definitely know peeps who learn better sitting in class.

I also have three pets and plan on being a panopto student. I do have a Belgian malinois and will have to keep it relatively cool for her. I have heard electricity can be expensive? Do you know an average price?

Hello everyone,

I brought one pet down with me and adopted two on island (I have a dog and two cats). 100% the greatest thing I did. Vet school is so stressful and coming home to them every day always makes me just a little bit happier. Like was mentioned above, there’s a Hill’s store on campus which has pretty good priced food (and when you order through the portal it’s super cheap). Veterinary care at the Ross clinic is super cheap compared to the States, and preventatives are cheap as well. Also reps for BI usually come once a semester and you can go to a little 10 min presentation and get free preventatives for a year.

As for life on the island, some people have more trouble adjusting than others. In my opinion, if you come down with an open mind and a more go with the flow type attitude you will probably be just fine. It’s fairly Americanized in certain areas due to tourism. The grocery stores carry all the brands you’re used to (although there’s not as wide of a selection) and there’s even a Uber eats style service called 869ToGo. There are definitely some island quirks too like island cars, poorly paved roads, and power or water going out (personally have only had it happen twice, but it can depend a little on where you live). But overall I really enjoy living here.

I also have three pets and plan on being a panopto student. I do have a Belgian malinois and will have to keep it relatively cool for her. I have heard electricity can be expensive? Do you know an average price?

Electricity can be fairly expensive and usually only bedrooms have air conditioning units, although I do know of some places with central air. I run my air conditioner 24/7 at 25-27 degrees Celsius (because it actually cools the whole apartment), do a few loads of laundry, and run the dishwasher a couple times and mine’s usually around $150-200 usd a month. You can definitely make changes to cut the cost if you want to though. For me personally, I like having the extra comfort, so it’s worth it.

Waiting for an interview
Oh okay, I was also given the option to move my application to May even though I applied for August however when I emailed courtney Jenkins asking questions about May the other day she informed me that the Committee closed May term last week. I am happy with August because I wouldn’t really enjoy starting online anyways but I figured I would let you know that.

Oh okay, I was also given the option to move my application to May even though I applied for August however when I emailed courtney Jenkins asking questions about May the other day she informed me that the Committee closed May term last week. I am happy with August because I wouldn’t really enjoy starting online anyways but I figured I would let you know that.
Ahhh okay... Well hopefully I will be joining you for the Fall.

I brought one pet down with me and adopted two on island (I have a dog and two cats). 100% the greatest thing I did. Vet school is so stressful and coming home to them every day always makes me just a little bit happier. Like was mentioned above, there’s a Hill’s store on campus which has pretty good priced food (and when you order through the portal it’s super cheap). Veterinary care at the Ross clinic is super cheap compared to the States, and preventatives are cheap as well. Also reps for BI usually come once a semester and you can go to a little 10 min presentation and get free preventatives for a year.

As for life on the island, some people have more trouble adjusting than others. In my opinion, if you come down with an open mind and a more go with the flow type attitude you will probably be just fine. It’s fairly Americanized in certain areas due to tourism. The grocery stores carry all the brands you’re used to (although there’s not as wide of a selection) and there’s even a Uber eats style service called 869ToGo. There are definitely some island quirks too like island cars, poorly paved roads, and power or water going out (personally have only had it happen twice, but it can depend a little on where you live). But overall I really enjoy living here.
I am usually pretty flexible and adaptable and from what it sounds like I’ll most likely enjoy being at the island. It’s good to know that it has become more Americanized as the only person I knew that went there was in the 2000s and his stories made me nervous. But hearing your replies has helped with my peace of mind and my dogs future. Thank you for responding and letting me know how Island life can be. I am much more confident about the decision now and actually excited to go one day. Plus I have a feeling I might become a panopto student as it’ll probably make my schedule more flexible and doable.
thanks for the advices!!

Thanks for the respond. Do you mind me asking
Are the rents expensive? And how much they charge for pets usually?
thank you
This forum is super helpful

Thanks for the respond. Do you mind me asking
Are the rents expensive? And how much they charge for pets usually?
thank you
This forum is super helpful
It honestly just depends on where/how you want to live (amenities, etc). One bedrooms could be anywhere from $600 usd to $1400 usd, some will include utilities while others don’t (electricity is almost always separate, but some landlords will give you allowance/cover part of it). I pay towards the higher side but it includes utilities (except electricity), a security guard & security cameras, a pool, ocean view, convenient location, and is just a large apartment overall. My family comes down to visit a lot so it’s nice to have the extra space.

There are a lot of options though for any kind of budget you have in mind for housing. If you go here you can see some listings:About Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine

West Farm, Buckley’s, Camps, & Mattingly are close to campus. Birdrock is maybe 5-7 mins down the road. Frigate Bay and Half Moon are about 10-15 mins away. Parts of Half Moon are a little dodgy, but there’s some nice parts too! Frigate is pretty safe overall, it’s where the Marriott and Royal hotels are, as well as a lot of restaurants and bars students and tourists hang out at. There’s also four coffee places/restaurants where students study in the area (Shout out to Mangoland, who has the best coffee on island!).

I should mention too that apartments are typically fully furnished (including tv, dishes, etc.), so that’s kind of a bonus.

It honestly just depends on where/how you want to live (amenities, etc). One bedrooms could be anywhere from $600 usd to $1400 usd, some will include utilities while others don’t (electricity is almost always separate, but some landlords will give you allowance/cover part of it). I pay towards the higher side but it includes utilities (except electricity), a security guard & security cameras, a pool, ocean view, convenient location, and is just a large apartment overall. My family comes down to visit a lot so it’s nice to have the extra space.

There are a lot of options though for any kind of budget you have in mind for housing. If you go here you can see some listings:About Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine

West Farm, Buckley’s, Camps, & Mattingly are close to campus. Birdrock is maybe 5-7 mins down the road. Frigate Bay and Half Moon are about 10-15 mins away. Parts of Half Moon are a little dodgy, but there’s some nice parts too! Frigate is pretty safe overall, it’s where the Marriott and Royal hotels are, as well as a lot of restaurants and bars students and tourists hang out at. There’s also four coffee places/restaurants where students study in the area (Shout out to Mangoland, who has the best coffee on island!).

I should mention too that apartments are typically fully furnished (including tv, dishes, etc.), so that’s kind of a bonus.

Wow that’s actually pretty cheap. I live in Miami and rent here is like 2000 and up per month.Thank you for letting me know as I have a better idea of what to expect and prepare.

Just curious but how long did it take from the time you submitted your applications to the time you were emailed for an interview? The waiting is awful

Just curious but how long did it take from the time you submitted your applications to the time you were emailed for an interview? The waiting is awful

I submitted my app in Sept 2018 (for Fall 2019 class) and heard back in Nov 2018, interviewed Dec 2018, accepted Jan 2019, and moved up to May class in Feb 2019.

I submitted my app in September 2019 and had an interview in October 2019 and was accepted November 2019 for the Fall 2020 class.

Summer 2020 semester officially fully online. They are moving courses around for the next couple semesters so that 1st & 2nd semester students will not miss out on anatomy (they’ll do it in the fall). Uppers are having their schedules moved around too due to labs.

Summer 2020 semester officially fully online. They are moving courses around for the next couple semesters so that 1st & 2nd semester students will not miss out on anatomy (they’ll do it in the fall). Uppers are having their schedules moved around too due to labs.
Did they say what the new revised May semester schedule is since they’re moving anatomy for them. Do you know how it affects the September semester?

Did they say what the new revised May semester schedule is since they’re moving anatomy for them. Do you know how it affects the September semester?
There is a ton of information on this, on the ross student page! :)

I’ve seen the schedule for new Green and they have the usual first semester courses except instead of Anatomy I they’re taking Physio II. Physio I will be in first half of semester, Physio II in second half I believe, but could be wrong. I don’t believe the fall semester will be impacted. The lab will definitely be a little more packed time wise during the day with three semesters (Purple, Green, & Black) taking one of the Anatomy courses, but I’m sure it’ll work out fine.

I’ve seen the schedule for new Green and they have the usual first semester courses except instead of Anatomy I they’re taking Physio II. Physio I will be in first half of semester, Physio II in second half I believe, but could be wrong. I don’t believe the fall semester will be impacted. The lab will definitely be a little more packed time wise during the day with three semesters (Purple, Green, & Black) taking one of the Anatomy courses, but I’m sure it’ll work out fine.
Perfect this answers my question down to the T! Thank you!

Anyone remember getting a question about your support system? I assumed they were referring to financial support but now I think it was more then that.

Anyone remember getting a question about your support system? I assumed they were referring to financial support but now I think it was more then that.
I cant remember for the life of me honestly, I know they asked about finances separately but I don't remember a lot from the interview except she was really nice and happened to live in a city close to my hometown in Texas lol

I cant remember for the life of me honestly, I know they asked about finances separately but I don't remember a lot from the interview except she was really nice and happened to live in a city close to my hometown in Texas lol
Guess I will have to wait and see :)

I remember a similar question during my interview. Our conversation went more into about having the right people in your life and what my plans are to manage my life outside of school. Also discussed a little about mental health since that is such a huge concern in the current veterinary world. I think there is no “wrong” answer here. They are just trying to see how you’re planning your life in the next 4 years (which includes finances) and if you’re mature enough to understand how life altering vet school is. I was accepted about 15 days after my interview back in November but will not be attending. Good luck!

I remember a similar question during my interview. Our conversation went more into about having the right people in your life and what my plans are to manage my life outside of school. Also discussed a little about mental health since that is such a huge concern in the current veterinary world. I think there is no “wrong” answer here. They are just trying to see how you’re planning your life in the next 4 years (which includes finances) and if you’re mature enough to understand how life altering vet school is. I was accepted about 15 days after my interview back in November but will not be attending. Good luck!
Thank you for the insight.

Does anyone know what students do to manage their finances on the island? I would imagine many U.S. based banks would have foreign transaction fees. Have you all heard of any "ideal" or "required" banks to use while at the school?

Does anyone know what students do to manage their finances on the island? I would imagine many U.S. based banks would have foreign transaction fees. Have you all heard of any "ideal" or "required" banks to use while at the school?

Some students open island bank accounts, but a lot of us don’t (I’m in 4th and never have). I just have my loans deposited into my Chase account back home and have two different credit cards (American Airlines and Amazon) that don’t have foreign transaction fees. I do occasionally get cash out (some places only take cash or some times it’s easier to just have cash) and there are the usual withdrawal fees associated with that, I just try to take out enough to last me for at least two weeks so I’m not paying a fee every few days.

The main bank on island used to be Scotiabank, but they’ve recently been replaced by Republic Bank. That’s what the atm is on campus. There was a partnership or something between Bank of America & Scotiabank where people with BoA accounts could withdraw money from atms with no additional fees, I’m not sure if it’s the same thing with Republic.

Question for current students that live off campus.... The leases you sign are they for a semester or a year? Can you agree to stay in one rental for the entire time your there?

Question for current students that live off campus.... The leases you sign are they for a semester or a year? Can you agree to stay in one rental for the entire time your there?

Leases are typically by semester and the school recommends you rent semester to semester (just in case some sort of issue would come up, landlords often also like to rent semester to semester for the same reason). Landlords will give you the option to just extend your lease as long as you’re a good tenant. I’ve lived in my place 1st-4th (although I’m not currently on island).

Some do offer the option to do longer leases if that is something you’d want, but it’s not something I’d recommend. Sometimes people sign into long leases and end up having issues, end up wanting to move to different part of the island, etc. It’s just easier IMO to have semester to semester lease.

Doses anyone know anyone who had gotten their PhD from Ross through the research based PhD? It doesn't look like it's an option to do DVM/PhD but I would really like to do both. I just had some questions regarding the PhD itself if someone could point me in the right direction! Thank you so much!

Leases are typically by semester and the school recommends you rent semester to semester (just in case some sort of issue would come up, landlords often also like to rent semester to semester for the same reason). Landlords will give you the option to just extend your lease as long as you’re a good tenant. I’ve lived in my place 1st-4th (although I’m not currently on island).

Some do offer the option to do longer leases if that is something you’d want, but it’s not something I’d recommend. Sometimes people sign into long leases and end up having issues, end up wanting to move to different part of the island, etc. It’s just easier IMO to have semester to semester lease.
Great thank you