Successful Applicant Stats C/O 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Honestly, I am very uncomfortable posting this due to my numbers, the very personal nature, and the fact that I was accepted to a school that turned it’s back on twelvetigers. Hopefully this can be an inspiration to someone, somewhere...

Actually, although our experiences in life are vastly different, I personally found your post inspiring and I am very happy for you. I am sure that it would be a great encouragement to many people who have encountered difficuluties both similar and completely different.

I would encourage you to start an "overcoming obstacles" thread. You will find you are not alone.

Congrats and good luck in the fall.

ps - Can I get the option for the rights to your story? Someone here in Hollywood is bound to buy it!:)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
crittergal-i dont even know how to respond. i think startingovervet said it right lol you are such an inspiration. you barely told your story but from the small tid bits you shared i felt for you, i cant imagine what you have been through and it is great a school saw how amazing you are :) thanks for sharing such personal info i know it was hard

Thanks everyone for the encouragement and kind words. I really didn't want it to sound like a sob story because it's all in the past. I guess I'm just stubborn and don't believe in giving up.

This forum and my e-friends have been incredible. Y'all are truly the best! :love:

Crittergal- Your post is amazing and very inspiring. I am glad that a school was able to see all of you and how truly amazing you are! You deserve it! And a big congrats to you! :soexcited:

Crittergal,

You are an inspiration and I appreciate you sharing your story with us!!!:D

Okay, I didn't see your post earlier, Crittergal. Wow! I don't think you should be embarrassed at all--your stats show hard work and overcoming problems. Very inspirational! Congrats on your acceptance!

Honestly, I am very uncomfortable posting this due to my numbers, the very personal nature, and the fact that I was accepted to a school that turned it’s back on twelvetigers. Hopefully this can be an inspiration to someone, somewhere...

You are most definitely a huge inspiration to me. Thank you -so much- for posting your stats because you've given me some glimpse of hope. Really, I cannot thank you enough for this. Congratulations!

Crittergal, you ARE an inspiration. Your vet and animal experiences sound incredible, and you are clearly a driven and determined individual. I hope you never ever doubt that you're meant to be where you've gotten to this year because you deserve it!

Crittergal, you ARE an inspiration. Your vet and animal experiences sound incredible, and you are clearly a driven and determined individual. I hope you never ever doubt that you're meant to be where you've gotten to this year because you deserve it!

Thanks NittanyKitty to and everyone else as well. I don't doubt it but it feels surreal none the less.

Ok, enough about me. Lets hear from some others. Cowgirla? Sharpei5? Don't be shy!

Thanks NittanyKitty to and everyone else as well. I don't doubt it but it feels surreal none the less.

Ok, enough about me. Lets hear from some others. Cowgirla? Sharpei5? Don't be shy!

I think I have told you some of my stats in zoo lab. I'll be posting soon, hopefully with a UF acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
29 years old, F, California resident, second time applicant

goal in vet med: companion animal genetics research/faculty position

BS in Computer Science from an unranked state school, May 2004
BS in Molecular Biology and Microbiology with honors in the major (thesis + minimum GPA requirements), University of Central Florida, August 2007
MS in Animal Biology, UC Davis, in progress, expect to file thesis by June of this year

Applied: Penn VMD/PhD, Cornell DVM/PhD, CSU DVM/PhD, UC Davis DVM/PhD
Rejected: Penn, Cornell, CSU, UCD VSTP
Interviews: UC Davis (for DVM)
Accepted: UC Davis

Cumulative GPA: 3.18
Last 45 credit hrs: 3.74 (includes last year of undergrad + first year of grad)
Graduate GPA: 3.91
Prerequisites: 2.90
GRE: 640 V, 770 Q, 4.0 AW (best over 3 times)
Bio GRE: 770 (not considered for DVM programs)

Honors and Awards:
Dean's list a handful of times
Honors in the Major at UCF
Scholarship for my HIM thesis proposal at UCF

Veterinary Experience (chronological):
50 hours at a shelter spay/neuter clinic (surgical prep, vaccinations)
3,000 hours as a veterinary assistant (tech duties but no license) at a predominantly small animal private practice group
400 hours as a PetNurse at a Banfield
460 hours (at time of application, at least double that now) as a lab assistant in the UCD VMTH diagnostic Microbiology lab

research counted under veterinary experience
900 hours as an undergraduate - trying to find the gene coding for the polyamine transport protein in Drosophila melanogaster
1,800 hours (at time of application, at least 3x that now :laugh:) of graduate level research. My thesis project is on characteristics and heredity of catnip response. I also work on a number of other projects in my adviser's lab, doing some bench work but mostly working with all the data generated (script monkey extraordinaire).

Animal Experience (chronological):
200 hours volunteering at a shelter in middle school/high school
550 hours as a kennel technician at Petland
850 hours volunteering at a shelter during my first BS (same as spay/neuter clinic but I split the hours between animal and veterinary)
80 hours as Whale Watch intern (observing orcas at Sea World Orlando)
1,050 hours as an animal technician at an SPF research cat colony at UCD

not on application but mentioned in interview
Managing my adviser's cat colony, mostly looking out for health issues and revamping the disinfection protocols. Drawing blood, cystocentesis, restraining for vets here, microchipping, keeping records, sedating cats etc etc. I briefly got to touch on a study where I've gotten to help a visiting ophthalmologist anesthetize kittens and perform electroretinograms every 2 weeks, looking at onset of progressive retinal atrophy.

Other employment:
Worked at nursing home run by my extended family when I was in high school
Cedar Point Ride Operations for 3.5 summers in college (was an Assistant Team Leader twice)
Best Buy (PC/Home Office dept)
Buffalo Wild Wings (bartender)
Peer tutor at student tutorial services at my first undergrad school
General IT/coding bitch at a clearing firm for stock brokerages (I was there for three months and still don't really exactly know what the company itself did :laugh: )
Undergraduate TA at UCF for Quant Bio Methods lab
Graduate TA at UCD for Bio 1 twice and upper division Genetics once

Extracurricular/Community Activities:
Ice hockey since the age of 4 (always played at high levels of competition)
Various other sports (yes, I made a category for this :laugh: I played everything at some point)
Snowboarding
Musical theatre in high school
Helped my mom at a lot of functions for the women's club she belonged to when I was a kid, random charity fundraising events and such

Letters of Recommendation:
VMCAS:
-MS thesis adviser (faculty member at the UCD SVM, Ph.D.)
-Vet I worked with most often at the clinic where I got most of my clinical experience (DVM)
-Undergraduate thesis adviser (Ph.D.)
-Chief of service for Microbiology at UCD VMTH (DVM, Ph.D., diplomate ACVIM)
non-VMCAS (DVM/PhD):
-Genetics professor familiar with my research AND coursework (faculty member at the UCD SVM, DVM, Ph.D.)
-Professor from psych. department who taught 2 courses I took on animal behavior & behavioral genetics (Ph.D.)

I've got a story. It's a long one, and jeez this took enough time to type out as it is. My first application to vet school was 2 years ago, for class of 2012. I only applied to and got an interview at UCD but was rejected post-interview. I had been rejected from many a Ph.D. program prior to that, though!

Cliff's Notes: I decided nearly 7 years ago to pursue veterinary medicine. My GPA at the 4 institutions I've been to has gone 2.60 -> 3.11 -> 3.38 -> 3.91. I was diagnosed with ADHD late in my academic career, and untreated until just prior to beginning my Masters degree.

If anyone wants to know how I handled discussing my early academic issues and learning disability in my explanation statement, or wants to read my personal statement that sort of details my journey, let me know in PM and I would be glad to share it with you.

I love this place. :love:

Last edited:
:thumbup::thumbup: Nyanko!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thesis project is on characteristics and heredity of catnip response.

I swear, just this afternoon I was cleaning up my cat's catnip mess and I thought "I should look into whether catnip sensitivity is hereditary or not. I was thinking about all the lab techniques I am studying for my biochem 'b' final ....

Well, I guess I don't have to bother investigating this now... "you stole my wind"

I swear, just this afternoon I was cleaning up my cat's catnip mess and I thought "I should look into whether catnip sensitivity is hereditary or not. I was thinking about all the lab techniques I am studying for my biochem 'b' final ....

Well, I guess I don't have to bother investigating this now... "you stole my wind"

See this is why research sucks, you have a great idea and someone always beats you to the punch and publishes first:laugh:

I would much rather play with horses all day!

side note: my cat hates catnip! actually, she just ignores it :( i had to give her catnip away to a friend...no fun

24 yrs old, F, Illinois resident, third time applicant

Goal in vet med: zoo animal med

BS in Health Sciences from Purdue, 2008

Applied: Purdue(on a whim, used to be my IS), Illinois, Western

Rejected: Purdue

Interviews: Illinois, Western

Waitlisted: Illinois

Accepted: Western

Cumulative GPA: 3.30
Science GPA: 3.0
GRE: 520 V, 720 Q, 5.0 AW

Honors and Awards:
Semester Honors
National Honor Society 2 yrs(in HS)

Veterinary Experience:
120 hours as a vet assistant at a couple zoos
1,500 hours as a veterinary assistant (full time) at a 10 vet clinic
500 hours as a vet assistant at a one Dr. clinic (for a summer)
500+ hours as a vet assistant(with some tech. responsibilities) in a two Dr. clinic (currently working here)

Animal Experience:
1,500 hours as a zookeeper/intern (One at a drive thru/zoo park, one at a regular zoo. Both AZA accredited)
250 hours as a horse caretaker + my parents own over 20 horses that I helped take care of in high school

Other employment:
Worked in a restaurant for about 2 years during college

YoungLife volunteer leader for 2 years in undergrad
Boo at the Zoo volunteer

VMCAS:
One from the vet/owner at the 10 vet clinic I worked at
One from the Assistant Dean of Students at Purdue
One from my manager from my zoo internship

My stats are not that impressive, but I like to think I have a variety of experiences that make me unique. I changed my state of residency for the third application, which definitely helped me get much closer to my in state (still have a "possibility" of getting in). If anyone wants my PS or anything let me know!:)

1st time applicant to all schools but 2nd time applicant for UC Davis, 23 year old Female, California Resident. BS in Animal Science from Cal Poly Pomona, June 2009.

Applied: UC Davis, Western, Washington State, U of Minnesota, Michigan State, Oregon State, U of Illinois, Colorado State, Kansas State, Tufts
Rejected: you can figure that out
Interviews: Kansas State, Washington State, U of Minnesota, and U of Illinois
Alternate: Kansas State
Accepted: Michigan, Washington, Minnesota, Illinois​

Attending: Illinois
Rigor: of what?​

Cumulative GPA: 3.86
Last 45 credit hrs: 3.8ish
Science: 3.8ish
GRE: 410 V, 670 Q, 4.5 W (PROOF THAT GRE ISNT EVERYTHING!!) (plus when you are taking the GRE during an earthquake it can be hard to concentrate... and discourage you from taking it a 3rd time)

Honors and Awards:
Summa Cum Laude
Gamma Sigma Delta (Ag Honors Society)
Alpha Llambda Delta (Honor Society)
Kellogg Scholar (full tuition undergrad scholarship)
2 scholarships offered by the pre-vet department at cal poly
President's Council Scholar
Deans List
Presidents List

Veterinary Experience:
350 Small Animal
400 wildlife

Animal Experience:
200 Shelter volunteering
50 equine
100 cows/sheep/goats/pigs
450 captive birds in conservations/breeding program
500 wildlife (shorebirds) <after filing application though
200 research with emus

Work Experience:
i was a tour guide at my university for 2 years

Pre-Vet Club: member, fundraiser chair, event coordinator, president
Honors Ambassadors: President

1 from the vet at California Wildlife Center
1 from the the director of the Honors College at Cal Poly
1 from the best professor in the animal sci department and advisor of pre-vet club
1 from my research mentor

My best advice for pre-vetters: Get experience with a variety of species! It is how I narrowed down my career objectives. I found my passion for research and wildlife through exploring. Having a focus makes you look really good on your personal statement and in the interview :)

Don't hold back your education for a boyfriend/girlfriend or fiance. They could call off the wedding 3 weeks before which leaves you heartbroken and out of school. Make sure they marry you first... ;)

Oh and **** THE GRE! (but it does help if you do well... )​

Rigor: of what?​

Undergrad coursework, I think. Don't worry about it.

GRE: 410 V, 670 Q, 4.5 W (PROOF THAT GRE ISNT EVERYTHING!!) (plus when you are taking the GRE during an earthquake it can be hard to concentrate... and discourage you from taking it a 3rd time)​

An earthquake?? Yikes!

Don't hold back your education for a boyfriend/girlfriend or fiance. They could call off the wedding 3 weeks before which leaves you heartbroken and out of school. Make sure they marry you first... ;)
Well, I guess I have that covered at least. :)

GRE: 410 V, 670 Q, 4.5 W (PROOF THAT GRE ISNT EVERYTHING!!) (plus when you are taking the GRE during an earthquake it can be hard to concentrate... and discourage you from taking it a 3rd time)

I met you during UIUC's interview day! We were talking outside of the registration office, right before your interview!
That's great that you got in :) Congratulations!

My background is pretty strange (I hesitate even really posting it lol), but what I want to do seemed to make sense to most places (excluding Penn :mad:), so maybe other people will have similar plans. Eventual goal is to be some sort of faculty at a vet school that also has an engineering school on the campus, and do neat research and design cool new innovations for improving quality of care.

29 years old, F, California resident, first time applicant

-BA 2004 in Applied Mathematics, seven sisters women's college
-BE 2003 from an ivy league school
-MSME (concentration in mechatronics) 2006 from the school that should have won the big game last year :mad:
-Prereq courses taken at a local state school, but didn't bother earning a degree there. Finished those this past fall.
Rigor at all the schools I have degrees from was very high.

Applied: UC Davis, Missouri, Illinois, Iowa, Colorado,Penn
Rejected: Penn
Interviews: Missouri, Iowa, Illinois, UC Davis
Waitlisted: Colorado, Missouri
Accepted: Iowa, Illinois, UC Davis. Probably going to Davis.

Cumulative GPA: 3.59
Last 45 credit hrs: 3.57, but included some pretty high level grad courses
GRE: 660 V, 790 Q, 5.0 AW

Honors and Awards:
I didn't really go to schools that gave awards. Never even had dean's lists or anything. I was cum laude from undergrad, for what it's worth.

800 hours equine vet
2000 hours small animal medical services - worked in the s/n and vaccine clinic at a humane society

A ridiculous amount of hours of assorted equine - I've been working as a horse trainer off and on for 10 years to pay the bills, and got some cool international opportunities out of it that looked pretty nice on my application.
200 hours reptile - black sea turtle capturing and tagging

Other employment:
1 yr Test engineer for a medical device manufacturer
2 yr Design Engineer for an automotive parts company
1 yr Test engineer for experimental mining vehicles
3 yr riding trainer for a private hunter barn
6m Horse trainer at a sales barn in switzerland
1 yr Horse trainer at a competition barn in france
there were some odd jobs scattered in there too.

International Student Riding Team, Pony Club, Professional organizations (IEEE, ASME, AMS), road biking

-Equine vet I worked for for 2 summers
-Small animal vet at the humane society
-Advisor at the state school I took pre-reqs at
-Long term employer at a private hunter barn

So yeah, I sorta came at this all in a pretty round-about way. I hope it all works out in the end. If anyone has any questions about coming at this in a crazy way and seemingly making it work out, just give me a holler. I planned pretty obsessively to get this timeline to work out, and it did take me a year and a half to finish all the prereqs from the time I decided to do this thing.

quantized, your experience and stats are so cool! I love that you've combined interests to do something you really want to do

Oh yeah. I should comment here. I can tell you right now you won't be using those lab techniques to study this problem - we've not got the genomic tools in cats to do the kind of study you'd need to do. ;)

What you need is a hell of a lot of related cats, a big tub of catnip and some R scripts. At least, that's what I'm doing. :D

And a literature search. Some guy in the 60's says it's autosomal dominant. I beg to differ (in prep).

28 year old male, California resident, second time applicant

Goal in vet med: primarily equine, also large animal/small ruminant

B.A. in Cultural Anthropology from the University of California, Santa Barbara
Basically all my prereq’s were taken at a Cal State school along with some online and city college courses

Applied: Colorado, Davis, Kansas, Ohio, Oregon, Washington, Western
Rejected: None!
Interviews: Davis, Kansas, Ohio
Accepted: Davis, Kansas, Ohio, Oregon
Waitlisted: Colorado, Washington
Withdrawn: Western

Cumulative GPA: 3.6ish
Last 45 credit hrs: 3.98
Prerequisites: 3.98
GRE: 610 V, 720 Q, 4.0 AW

Honors and Awards:
I have a bunch of random non-academic honors/awards that I’m embarrassed to post but since I’m in here goes:
Awarded the rating of Divemaster and Open Water SCUBA Instructor by PADI
Certified as a Wilderness First Responder
Awarded the Certificate of English Language Teaching to Adults by Cambridge University
and a few other random things…

~900 hours shadowing an equine veterinarian
57 hours at horseshoeing clinics working with veterinarians

~7000 hours running my own farrier business
~400 hours as a horse trainer
~300 hours as fostering a goat
~350 hours at a horseshoeing school
~2000 hours as a farrier apprentice
~150 hours training our puppy
~80 hours involved in dog breeding

Other employment:
Bellman at a five star spa resort
Taught English as a second language in Beirut, Lebanon
Three summers working for a summer adventure program in the Bahamas and Fiji/Vanuatu

Random sports
Random community service activities with the summer adventure program
Taking a group of girls to horse shows along with my wife
Chaperone for a group of sixth graders

The equine vet I shadowed
A retired vet that was a huge help in this whole process (basically a mentor)
An anatomy professor that used to teach at a med school

Yeah, pretty random all around. I promise there’s a story that makes sense. Being a vet was my second choice for “what I want to be when I grow up” after a fighter pilot (I have Top Gun to thank for that). Anyway, it was a long tortuous (GRE word!) road but everything works out eventually. So, here’s to all you non-trads; if I can get into vet school, you can too!

22 years old, F, California resident, first time applicant

BS in Biology, with minor in Near Eastern Cultures expected June 2010

Applied: UC Davis, Penn, CSU, Washington, Wisconsin
Rejected: Penn, CSU, Washington, Wisconsin
Interviews: UC Davis
Accepted: UC Davis

Cumulative GPA: 3.44
Last 45 credit hrs: 3.91
Prerequisites: 2.9 - 3.1 (my Davis interviewers said 2.9, my calculations say 3.1)
GRE: 660 V, 780 Q, 4.5 AW

Honors and Awards:
Dean’s Honor List 6 quarters
Various community service awards from high school
Various riding awards

1000 hrs SA specialty/emergency clinic
400 hrs shadowing equine veterinarian
750 hrs SCI mouse research
1 day visit at out-of-area specialty equine hospital

1700 hrs groom and exercise rider at hunter-jumper barn
900 hrs assistant trainer at another h/j barn
350 hrs assistant trainer at endurance barn
160 hrs equine rehabilitation center
30 hrs on uncle’s dairy farm in Switzerland
100 hrs private horse transport
100 hrs petsitting
400 hrs and counting working student at grand prix jumper sales barn (I love my job!!)

Other employment:
I’ve never had a job not involving animals…

Riding horses since I was 5, horse owner since 14, kept horses at family home since 15 (I didn’t count personal riding hours under Animal Experience in VMCAS, only hours that were “work”)
President of high school equestrian team
College equestrian team
Vice president of Pre-Vet club
Peer Tutoring- Algebra and Calculus
Library Tutor for 6th grade English
County Public Health Lab volunteer
Volunteered at therapeutic riding facility
Various random photography/poem submissions in high school

-Equine veterinarian I shadowed
-PI of lab I did my research
-Head librarian from my tutoring

I got quite a few Cs in my lower division science pre-reqs (mainly chemistry) because I had too many things going on at once and chose to take the C rather than W/F and retaking the class. Since then, I’ve worked really hard to make sure my last 45 GPA was strong and it seemed to balance out the low science gpa.

Do many people put petsitting on their applications? I petsit a ton in my area, however I feel weird trying to calculate it!

Do many people put petsitting on their applications? I petsit a ton in my area, however I feel weird trying to calculate it!

Meh, it's animal experience, and it shows people trust you with their animals. I didn't, but I can see why someone would.

Meh, it's animal experience, and it shows people trust you with their animals. I didn't, but I can see why someone would.

I debated this one and ended up not including petsitting on my application, more so because I didn't have many hours doing it relative to my other experiences. However, I did mention my "gig" petsitting a pair of goats during my Ohio interview. (They asked me to list all species of animals that I'm comfortable handling, and I had no other LA experience besides equine on my application, but I am comfortable handling goats now! ;) )

24 years old, Female, California resident, second time applicant

BS in Psychology (emphasis in Biology) received June 2007

Applied: UC Davis, Wisconsin, Missouri, Illinois, RVC, Glasgow, Dublin, Guelph
Rejected: Missouri, Illinois
Interviews: UC Davis, RVC, Glasgow
Waitlisted: Wisconsin
Accepted: UC Davis, RVC, Glasgow, Dublin (canceled Guelph application after receiving other acceptances)

Cumulative GPA: 3.6
Last 45 credit hrs: 3.8
Prerequisites: 3.5
GRE: 560 V, 720 Q, 4.0 AW

Honors and Awards:
Dean’s Honor List

Veterinary Experience:
2000 hrs laboratory animals
30 hrs small animal clinical
40 hrs small animal radiology
20 hrs equine research
40 hrs equine radiology

Animal Experience:
3000 hrs laboratory animals

Other employment:
Nothing relevant to vet med

Volunteering at a vet clinic for homeless
Volunteering at breast cancer events
Founding ESL class for parents

-Lab Animal Vet I work with (personal mentor)
-PI of lab I work in
-Researcher I work with
-Vet I volunteered with for a research project

I applied last year and was rejected post-interview from Davis because I didn't have enough of a variety of experience. So over the past year I volunteered in any field I could and also broadened my experience within my field of interest, and having all that experience behind me made the interview much easier and more fun... and got me into Vet school!!!!:D

The reason I included that was because the petsitting I was doing was mainly birds (peacocks, chickens) and goats and I wanted to show I did have some experience in something besides equine/SA. If it had been just household pets I probably wouldn't have included it.

Heard from all of my schools so I figured I would give this an update:

I am so completely flattered to be able to have a choice on a vet school to attend. I have had no clinical experience in the past 10 years, and I thought that would really hurt my application, but apparently it is doable! Congrats to everyone else, and good luck :)

1st time applicant, 27 years old, Female, Colorado resident
Applied: Colorado, UCDavis, Cornell, Penn
Accepted: Colorado, Cornell, Davis
Interview: Davis
Rejected: Penn
Attending: If I only knew.... :)

Degree: B.S. Animal Science, Science Conc with double major in Microbiology,
PhD Microbiology concentration in Virology, Immunology, and Vector Biology
Rigor: Undergrand...not so much, but grad school can kick your @$$ sometimes!
Cum GPA @ time of application: 3.92
Last 45 credit hrs: 4.0
Science: 3.9 ish
GRE: took this a couple of times, totally sucked it up on the verbal a few times, here were the best scores v510, q700, w4.5

Honors and Awards:
-Dean's List
-Magna cum laude
-2 publications in peer reviewed journals
-several conference talks
-Centers for Disease Control Fellowship Training Program
-I also put down some 4-H honors and awards from back in the day such as County Ambassador, 12 year member award, and some state fair honors.

Veterinary Experience:
-1500 hrs at a mixed small and large animal clinic
-3700 hrs in a research lab as an undergrad then as a research associate after undergrad.
-10000 hrs (YIKES..no wonder grad school drives people crazy!) working on PhD in vaccine development and testing. I was very weary about putting down this many hours, but after talking with Dr. Sherry Stewart at CSU and a few other people they said even though I was not actively with animals for the whole 10000 hrs I was doing background research or building the vaccines to be used in animals and I was under the supervision of PhD or DVMs at all times.

Animal Experience:
-Guide Dogs for the blind puppy raiser
-12 years of 4-H, horse, beef cattle, dog, and a few random other things
-NARHA Certified Therapeutic Horseback riding instructor, Riding program secretary, board member, horse trainer, volunteer
-Stable hand, horse exerciser
-A couple of rodeo associations, high school equestrian team

- One Health Club
-road bike racing
-German exchange student

Letters of Rec:
-Veterinarian from the clinic I worked at (DVM)
-Graduate Committee Advisor (PhD)
-Professor I worked for as an undergrad and my fellowship mentor (PhD)
-Graduate Committee Co-Advisor (PhD)
-Occupational therapist mentor for therapeutic riding instructor certification process
-County 4-H youth extension agent

Wooohooooo!

On paper, my academic history is spotty and downright sketchy in places, but there is a definite upward trend, and Davis was able to see past that and tell that I am a vet nerd for life.

Maryland resident, 22 y.o., female, likes long walks on the beach, first time applicant . . .
Applied: VMRCVM (IS), UPenn, Cornell, Illinois, Michigan, Iowa, Minnesota, CSU, UC Davis :scared:
Rejected: UPenn, Cornell, Illinois, CSU :(
Interviewed: VMRCVM, Iowa, Minnesota, UC Davis:xf:
Waitlisted: VMRCVM, Iowa, Michigan :confused:
Rejected After Interview: Minnesota :mad:
Accepted: UC Davis :eek:
Attending: UC Davis! :love:

University of Maryland, College Park
B.S. in Biological Sciences expected May 2010
Rigor: Low-Moderate -- took 15 credits most semesters, never took more than 16 at a time, dropped an entire semester and a couple lab classes last fall due to health problems (and H1N1 last fall), worked 8 hours/week for last year + research and extracurricular horse activities

Cum GPA: 3.28 at time of application, 3.33 after F09 semester
Sci GPA: 3.19ish for IL; got B's and C's in a lot of lower level classes but lots of A's and B+'s in upper level science classes
Last 45 GPA: 3.6-3.7ish
GRE: 750 V, 770 Q, 5.0 W

Vet Experience (most recent first):
- 600 hr (at time of app -- averaging 10 hr/wk since then) as equine nurse at teaching horsepital -- includes some volunteering/shadowing residents in rounds and surgery on my own time
- 21 hr shadowing vet friend doing SA routine visits + surgery
- 3000 hr working, volunteering, and shadowing at combined ambulatory/inpatient equine-only practice
- 100 hr shadowing ambulatory equine/LA vet

Research Experience (listed under vet exp. on VMCAS):
- 260 hr stalk-eyed fly research, including being given my own project to run until I figured out that it was contributing to my sinus issues and asthma and had to stop :cry: (still involved with lab meetings/journal club, etc., just can't spend more than a few minutes in the lab itself)
- 190 hr as undergrad pooper-scooper on equine nutrition study
- a handful of hours working in an animal nutrition/metabolomics lab this spring, which wasn't on VMCAS but which I mentioned in my interview with UC Davis

Animal Experience:
- Started taking riding lessons at age 10 and have been involved with horses (taking lessons, riding other people's horses, trying to event but life keeps getting in the way) ever since. Listed as 9000 hrs on VMCAS (conservative) of lessons, horse shows, exercising other people's horses (including injury rehab), etc.
- Pet-sitting and farm-sitting - listed rough estimate of 250 hrs. I included this because I don't have much SA experience and I wanted the chance to mention that I have done things like pet-sit for a friend who has one cat on SQ fluids and one cat on insulin, so it's not just my own cats that I can torture stab with needles.
- Member, UM Equestrian club, est. 2100 hrs. Included general horse care, training lesson horses, teaching riding lessons to other students. During one summer, was responsible along with 1 other person for coordinating horse care (scheduling, first aid, vet/farrier visits, etc.).
- 80 hrs handling other people's dogs at training sessions for organization which does therapy dog visits and trains assistance dogs.

Other Employment:
- Worked at a bakery one day a week for a year during high school.

Extracurricular Activities:
You mean I'm supposed to do something not related to horses? I listed birding and Latin club (from high school).

Honors/Awards:
National Merit Scholar in high school, and it's been downhill ever since. :laugh:

Personal Statement:
Wordy, like most of my posts on here. Happy to share in the unlikely event that someone wants to read it. :)

eLORs:
- DVM from private equine practice where I got most of my hours (now a friend, even though I don't work there any more)
- DVM - surgery resident at horsepital (we don't really get to interact with faculty except on rare occasions)
- PhD - PI for stalk-eyed fly lab
- PhD - PI for equine nutrition lab, who also oversees equestrian club

Invaluable Support System:

You fellow nerds on SDN, who put up with all of the anxiety and self-doubt!

Wooohooooo!

Maryland resident, 22 y.o., female, likes long walks on the beach, first time applicant . . .

:laugh:

Congratulations eventualeventer! Davis would have been silly to let the gpa be a problem, especially with your GRE scores showing the academic aptitude and the animal experience demonstrating the motivation. It looks to me like you had a very strong application :)

:laugh:

Congratulations eventualeventer! Davis would have been silly to let the gpa be a problem, especially with your GRE scores showing the academic aptitude and the animal experience demonstrating the motivation. It looks to me like you had a very strong application :)

Thank you! May I ask what species of bird is in your avatar? It looks kind of like a black-billed ****oo in low light or something but it's been bugging me for a while. ;)

JerseyGirl, let's see those stats! I think it's awesome that SDN'ers come from such diverse backgrounds and yet we're all going to be vets.

Thank you! May I ask what species of bird is in your avatar? It looks kind of like a black-billed ****oo in low light or something but it's been bugging me for a while. ;)

The bird was some species of small hawk. I believe it was a Cooper's Hawk, but I never got a good enough look at to definitively identify it. I really ought to start keeping my binoculars closer at hand!

Just wanted to say congrats to all!!!!! I will eventually post my stats,just need to build up the courage!

Wooohooooo!

eLORs:
- DVM from private equine practice where I got most of my hours (now a friend, even though I don't work there any more)
- DVM - surgery resident at horsepital (we don't really get to interact with faculty except on rare occasions)
- PhD - PI for stalk-eyed fly lab
- PhD - PI for equine nutrition lab, who also oversees equestrian club

Invaluable Support System:

You fellow nerds on SDN, who put up with all of the anxiety and self-doubt!

all prevets at UMD should work with the stalk eyed flies, i think they are good luck!!!