Summer Research Application and Acceptance Thread ( SPUR, SURF, SURP, SIP, AMGEN etc.) 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone heard from JHU or Columbia through the Leadership Alliance?

Members don't see this ad.

That second paragraph makes sense even if it hurts. :(
It makes sense that all of the applications are gathered in one cohort but how does the waitlist work?

I don't think that a lot of programs have formal waitlists.

I emailed the point of contact for Yale's SURF (affiliated with Leadership Alliance) earlier today inquiring about the status of the application process. (I did the same thing with Penn about two weeks ago and then again yesterday as well--I think I'm being pushy at this point but I don't really care.) When or if I hear what they have to say, I'll let you all know!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm trying to decide between the program at Sloan Kettering and Mayo SURF and would find any advice helpful (esp experiences at either program).
@Seldon

I'm trying to decide between the program at Sloan Kettering and Mayo SURF and would find any advice helpful (esp experiences at either program).
@Seldon
I loved my time at Mayo. The facilities are beautiful, the scientists are all really nice people, and you can shadow brilliant doctors (I shadowed, scrubbed in, and briefly participated in a mastectomy). I've never done the Sloan Kettering program, but Mayo has my full endorsement.

However, Rochester does suck. If you can't drink, there's not much to do and the students don't interact a whole lot. So take that into consideration.

I emailed the point of contact for Yale's SURF (affiliated with Leadership Alliance) earlier today inquiring about the status of the application process. (I did the same thing with Penn about two weeks ago and then again yesterday as well--I think I'm being pushy at this point but I don't really care.) When or if I hear what they have to say, I'll let you all know!

What did penn say ?

What did penn say ?
Sorry, I should have been clearer. I have reached out to Penn twice now but still have not gotten a response.

I think they have sent out most or even all of their SUIP acceptances at this point, and I realize that they are under no obligation to update the LA portal, but I would think that they would just keep all applicants updated with one standard method of communication (portal, email, or even phone)--not just the accepted students. Not getting any news from them and only then realizing I have been denied is and will likely be very frustrating.

Haven't heard from mayo yet. Does that mean I'm rejected?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

When I talked to them a week ago, they said most offers were already made. I think they're waiting until they finish to notify everyone... there's still a chance? But not great

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I have reached out to Penn twice now but still have not gotten a response.

I think they have sent out most or even all of their SUIP acceptances at this point, and I realize that they are under no obligation to update the LA portal, but I would think that they would just keep all applicants updated with one standard method of communication (portal, email, or even phone)--not just the accepted students. Not getting any news from them and only then realizing I have been denied is and will likely be very frustrating.

I think they sent rejections via email, but they do it after they finalize their cohort.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone heard from Tuft's BDBS or Boston's SURF program yet? This is actually my first time applying to summer research programs (I applied before deadline, just decided to post now because I found this thread a little late).

Has anyone heard from Tuft's BDBS or Boston's SURF program yet? This is actually my first time applying to summer research programs (I applied before deadline, just decided to post now because I found this thread a little late).
I applied to the Tufts BDBS program, but I haven't yet heard back.

Members don't see this ad :)

I did Boston SURF this previous summer and they accepted march 10, if you have any questions let me know, the programs great, remarkable research, and the city is always exciting.

I did Boston SURF this previous summer and they accepted march 10, if you have any questions let me know, the programs great, remarkable research, and the city is always exciting.
Was it very competitive to get into Boston's SURF program? What was your status at the time when you applied (Year, GPA, prior research, etc...), mind me asking?

Can confirm! I was waitlisted at MGH today, but I am going to give up my spot because I have been fortunate to get into a few other awesome programs. Hopefully one of the people on this thread gets into MGH! :)

I haven't heard anything from MGH yet (no acceptance/rejection/waitlist). Is this the SRTP program there?

I haven't heard anything from MGH yet (no acceptance/rejection/waitlist). Is this the SRTP program there?
Yes I applied to the SRTP program. From past threads, it seems like they are not good at getting back to people all the time:/

Does anyone know when University of Cincinnati's SURF results usually come out?

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone applied for TAMU REU?

Did anyone apply for/hear back from UCSD STARS, Boston STARS, UCSD MSTP, NYU through the LA, Duke SROP, or NYU neural program?

Did anyone apply for/hear back from UCSD STARS, Boston STARS, UCSD MSTP, NYU through the LA, Duke SROP, or NYU neural program?
Next week

Applied Boston stars nothing back yet, emailed and no response

Next week

Applied Boston stars nothing back yet, emailed and no response
Same, no reply when I emailed a few days ago. Wasn't sure if they were ignoring my email or what.... I did see the deadline was extended to March 1st from February 15th though. Do you have any idea why a program would extend a deadline by that much time?

Accepted my HSCI offer! It's so weird now getting emails from other programs. Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted my spot in Vanderbilt's SMRP! Good luck to everybody else still waiting to hear back :) we're all going to kill it this year!

Reactions: 6 users
On another note, I got a response from Yale's SURF coordinator today. She sent me the following:

"We are reviewing several hundred applications. Unfortunately, we cannot reach out to all applicants with a status update. Several offers have gone out. Students will have 2 weeks to respond. Based on the responses additional offers may be made. All offers will be extended by the end of March. I wish you the best."

I'm not sure how many offers have gone out, but I would assume this means the chances of Yale SR-EIP are getting slimmer :/

Has anyone heard from Vanderbilt UCRIP yet?

Hey guys! Need some advice. I got accepted to UCSF SRTP (with AMGEN funding), and I'm supposed to answer by tomorrow. I also applied to UCB AMGEN, from which I haven't heard. However, I emailed them last Thursday and they told me that I should expect an answer soon, and that I was one of the top applicants.

My question is, should I email UCB again, or should I just accept UCSF's offer? I actually want to do an MD/PhD so maybe UCSF is a better option (plus living in San Francisco vs living in Berkeley). Anyone who has done the UCSF program who could tell me how it was? Thanks in advance!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys! Need some advice. I got accepted to UCSF SRTP (with AMGEN funding), and I'm supposed to answer by tomorrow. I also applied to UCB AMGEN, from which I haven't heard. However, I emailed them last Thursday and they told me that I should expect an answer soon, and that I was one of the top applicants.

My question is, should I email UCB again, or should I just accept UCSF's offer? I actually want to do an MD/PhD so maybe UCSF is a better option (plus living in San Francisco vs living in Berkeley). Anyone who has done the UCSF program who could tell me how it was? Thanks in advance!
I would say email UCB again, what do you have to lose? If UCB is your top choice, mention that to them in the email but also mention that you have another offer that expires tomorrow, and you don't want to wait and end up not having any program choices. However if they are both comparable choices and UCB doesn't reply by the end of the day, accept the offer you have. UCSF if a great school!

This is always a really difficult decision and honestly I can't tell you what you should do, but I will say that you would probably be very unhappy if you rejected UCSF and then didnt get UCB. That being said, you should absolutely email them again because it shouldnt hurt and could provide some clarity.

I say you should contact UCB at least twice today before committing to UCSF if it is one of your top choices. UCB still has some faculty reviewing apps so that might be causing a delay. Living wise both are fun and strange cities.

Also, how did you find out that you have been offered AMGEN funding at UCSF? I thought they haven't released the funding source information.

First time applying to programs of this nature, but have yet to hear back from Hopkins INBT, either positively or negatively. Seems strange that they would not just release all decisions at the same time.

I say you should contact UCB at least twice today before committing to UCSF if it is one of your top choices. UCB still has some faculty reviewing apps so that might be causing a delay.

Also, how did you find out that you have been offered AMGEN funding at UCSF? I thought they haven't released the funding source information.

How does UCB normally do admissions. Is it rolling? Does it hurt/help/not affect OP's chances that OP hasn't got an email yet?

How does UCB normally do admissions. Is it rolling? Does it hurt/help/not affect OP's chances that OP hasn't got an email yet?

To the best of my knowledge, it isn't rolling in the sense that different departments review applications at different rates. I would say that it isn't looking too good if OP hasn't gotten an email yet. Interestingly though, OP accepted a Cornell program last month so idk what's going through their head.

I say you should contact UCB at least twice today before committing to UCSF if it is one of your top choices. UCB still has some faculty reviewing apps so that might be causing a delay. Living wise both are fun and strange cities.

Hey! Well, I am not 100% sure, but I asked about the funding since I am a MARC student, and they told me MARC students are usually funded through AMGEN.
Also, thanks to everyone for their input! Very appreciated.

Hey! Well, I am not 100% sure, but I asked about the funding since I am a MARC student, and they told me MARC students are usually funded through AMGEN.
Are you going to email UCB?:)

hey! so i just called glenda mueller over at mayo, and she told me what most of you have been saying here: that 90% of offers have been already sent out, but she told me to keep an eye out for my email this week, as they will start sending offers to fill up spots that people haven't taken!

one more note: if you don't hear from mayo by the 24th of march, there's a high probability you've been rejected. i was told that they will NOT be sending rejection notices via email, but they will be posted on the mayo portal when you log on. cheers!

hey! so i just called glenda mueller over at mayo, and she told me what most of you have been saying here: that 90% of offers have been already sent out, but she told me to keep an eye out for my email this week, as they will start sending offers to fill up spots that people haven't taken!

one more note: if you don't hear from mayo by the 24th of march, there's a high probability you've been rejected. i was told that they will NOT be sending rejection notices via email, but they will be posted on the mayo portal when you log on. cheers!

I love how WashU doesn't reply to email or pick up calls... lol

I'm in the same boat @derek0228. Cold Spring wants me to reply by today, and UCB said they'd get back to me by today. Hopefully we're not in competition ;)

Heard from Kyoto Amgen today -- acceptance -- but haven't heard from UCB, UCSF, Stanford, or Tokyo... has anyone heard from Stanford? Tokyo? Might reach out...
I applied to Stanford too... no word.

Thanks! I just checked my application and it still says submitted. So I assume it's either my application hasn't been viewed since I submitted only a week before the deadline or I am in the wait list.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile