Summer Research Application and Acceptance Thread ( SPUR, SURF, SURP, SIP, AMGEN etc.) 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Also is anyone who finished these programs able to give specific information e.g. GPA, letters of rec, essays so I can see what I am working with.

Here is my info:
Sophomore
Temple U.
GPA 3.80
M/S GPA 3.86
Applied to roughly 16 programs
I have 4 recommenders
Research at Temple University last summer

I'd be willing to give my essays and what not once I am a senior and no longer applying to these.

Anyone know where I can get specific information on acceptance rates?
Not really anywhere specifically, but they tend to be around 5%.

Also is anyone who finished these programs able to give specific information e.g. GPA, letters of rec, essays so I can see what I am working with.

Here is my info:
Sophomore
Temple U.
GPA 3.80
M/S GPA 3.86
I have 4 recommenders

I'd be willing to give my essays and what not once I am a senior and no longer applying to these.

I did two of these prograns at UPenn and Harvard my sophomore and junior year, respectively. I started doing research freshman year and had a 3.9+. Averages in the programs were above 3.8o. My letters of rec sophomore year came from my research advisors at my home school. Junior year, they came from my advisor at Penn and my research advisor.

Not really anywhere specifically, but they tend to be around 5%.

I did two of these prograns at UPenn and Harvard my sophomore and junior year, respectively. I started doing research freshman year and had a 3.9+. Averages in the programs were above 3.8o. My letters of rec sophomore year came from my research advisors at my home school. Junior year, they came from my advisor at Penn and my research advisor.
Are you in med school now?

Im applying to NYU Sackler, GSK, Fred Hutchinson, Nemours, and Cincinnati Children's among others...on the applications they ask whether or not you want to pursue an MD or an MD/PhD. Personally, I don't want to go for an MD/PhD and ideally would like to pursue an MD while continuing clinical research training. However, what looks good to put down in terms of these programs?

I feel indicating an interest in MD/PhD will put me under added scrutiny since MD/PhD's have a much more competitive route after undergrad. Also, I dont know if I have an MD/PhD caliber profile either (3.7 GPA, 1.5 years basic science research, 1 semester clinical research, and an EMT). Honestly, I want to just list MD on all these SURF/SURP apps, especially for the ones held at hospitals or cancer research centers that are more clinically oriented. I've also noticed that many of the PI's these programs let you research under are only MDs who got researching training through fellowships (of course there are more MD/PhDs though). But then again, someone on this thread would know better than me.

What do you guys think?

@Bioenchilada

Last edited:
I think they want PhDs because they want future researchers. My PI in MSKCC in the admission committee said so too.

Submitted GSK. Now the wait begins :(

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Whats good SDN'ers

It's that time of the year again to be applying or already applied to summer internships. I just recently completed my apps for the SPUR program at MCW as well as a state-funded research/PH internship.

I want this thread to serve as a hub of information and advice for all applicants applying to their desired summer programs. Good luck

I did SURF at Mayo for two summers. If anyone is curious about the program, feel free to PM me, or I can just post here.

I'm a graduate student at UPenn.
Yeah that is exactly the reason I didn't waste my time and apply to those programs. I applied to lesser known coastal schools and some well known ones. Just not ivy leagues. I personally don't really care about the prestige of it either. My goals are to: Get experience, get money, basically go on vacation for 10 weeks, get babes, make new friends, get a good rec, and put in some work. I will be sooooo happy if a single school in a cali accepts me.

What did you guys think of these?

Members don't see this ad :)
Almost done with these applications :confused:

Reactions: 1 user
Where are you all applying too? I applied to 8 programs and will be continuing to work on my applications till about mid February. Hoping a few or at least one of these applications pans out!:luck:

Where are you all applying too? I applied to 8 programs and will be continuing to work on my applications till about mid February. Hoping a few or at least one of these applications pans out!:luck:

A word of advice as a previous Amgen scholar - apply to more than 8. I applied to upwards of 20 and only got into one. That is with a 4.0 GPA, super compelling story/research interest, a couple solid years of research experience, and really good letters of rec. I don't want to burst your bubble, but it is very unrealistic to get multiple acceptances to these programs. I can only think of a couple people from last year's thread who managed to (most people didn't get any) and they were extremely exceptional candidates. Make it worth your while and apply to as many as possible - it's free.

What's the "etc" in the title? / Any of these non-trad friendly? (aka not an UG)

I can't think of a single summer research program that allows post-baccs. That's more suited for stuff like IRTA. These programs are really geared towards sophomores and juniors.

I can answer questions about the NIH SIP program. I was a postbac, mentor for SIPs and also worked closely with OITE.

Im applying to NYU Sackler, GSK, Fred Hutchinson, Nemours, and Cincinnati Children's among others...on the applications they ask whether or not you want to pursue an MD or an MD/PhD. Personally, I don't want to go for an MD/PhD and ideally would like to pursue an MD while continuing clinical research training. However, what looks good to put down in terms of these programs?

I feel indicating an interest in MD/PhD will put me under added scrutiny since MD/PhD's have a much more competitive route after undergrad. Also, I dont know if I have an MD/PhD caliber profile either (3.7 GPA, 1.5 years basic science research, 1 semester clinical research, and an EMT). Honestly, I want to just list MD on all these SURF/SURP apps, especially for the ones held at hospitals or cancer research centers that are more clinically oriented. I've also noticed that many of the PI's these programs let you research under are only MDs who got researching training through fellowships (of course there are more MD/PhDs though). But then again, someone on this thread would know better than me.

What do you guys think?

@Bioenchilada

I think saying that you want an MD alone will put you at a disadvantage, unless the program caters to prospective medical students or is clinical research-heavy. As someone said above, these programs are mainly for people interested in pursuing a research career.
Yeah that is exactly the reason I didn't waste my time and apply to those programs. I applied to lesser known coastal schools and some well known ones. Just not ivy leagues. I personally don't really care about the prestige of it either. My goals are to: Get experience, get money, basically go on vacation for 10 weeks, get babes, make new friends, get a good rec, and put in some work. I will be sooooo happy if a single school in a cali accepts me.

What did you guys think of these?

What programs are you applying to?

Applying to:
Janelia Scholars Program
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Program
UCLA Amgen
UC Berkeley Amgen
Caltech Amgen
Stanford Amgen
MIT Amgen
Mayo Clinic SURF

Stats: 3.99 GPA, 8 pubs (one of which is published in Nature Neuroscience), currently nominated for the Goldwater Scholarship, several poster sessions with two awards, 3 past research scholarships, and meaningful experience with basic science, epidemiological, and clinical research. Also 2 extremely strong LORs.
Janelia interview invitations sent today

Can anyone comment on how investigators look up NIH SIP applicants? Do they only look up applicants who personally reach out?

Can anyone comment on how investigators look up NIH SIP applicants? Do they only look up applicants who personally reach out?

NIH intern from last summer here. They usually do a search based on the "tags" you added to your application. So a cancer biologist might include "cancer biology" as a search term and look for people interested in that. They will look if they know they have the space/funding/need for an intern that year. This is how I got my position last summer. As far as emailing PIs goes, just tell them st the end of your email that your app is complete and you are now searchable on the SIP applicant database. They will know that means.

NIH intern from last summer here. They usually do a search based on the "tags" you added to your application. So a cancer biologist might include "cancer biology" as a search term and look for people interested in that. They will look if they know they have the space/funding/need for an intern that year. This is how I got my position last summer. As far as emailing PIs goes, just tell them st the end of your email that your app is complete and you are now searchable on the SIP applicant database. They will know that means.

Thanks!

Edit:
Anyone applied to UM-SMART and gotten an interview invite yet?

Last edited:
There is a program at Vanderbilt called SOCK's if you guys are interested in a summer research program. It is still relatively new and they don't have grants for housing or the time you put in (at least not yet). You would have to get funding from your undergrad institution to cover cost of living. They focus on surgical outcomes in pediatric patients (CT, uro, ENT, neurosurg). You interview in person or by phone and there's an application to apply through online.

In the lab I worked in, my PI showed me how they find applicants for SIP. He filters his search for people with a 4.0 gpa and experience in that specific field. You'd be amazed at how little that narrows it down.

In the lab I worked in, my PI showed me how they find applicants for SIP. He filters his search for people with a 4.0 gpa and experience in that specific field. You'd be amazed at how little that narrows it down.

Preemptive: don't worry fam you don't need a 4.0 to be a successful SIP applicant. I didn't have one. For all of these programs GPA >3.8 is probably a must just given the volume of applicants. For NIH SIP however it is conceivable that someone makes you an offer before they even know what your GPA is.

Preemptive: don't worry fam you don't need a 4.0 to be a successful SIP applicant.

Thank you for that preemptive message. For the last couple months I've been imagining that all the PIs set a filter at 4.0 and I'd already been ruined.

Thank you for that preemptive message. For the last couple months I've been imagining that all the PIs set a filter at 4.0 and I'd already been ruined.
Since NIH SIP in particular has no central "admissions" committee, except for the smaller, more niche programs (like CRI), it is highly unpredictable. This is both good and bad. Bad in that you have no idea of what is going on or how you are doing in the application process until the moment you receive an offer. Good in the sense that you have a degree of control over how you do beyond sending in your app by reaching out to PIs, setting smart tags, and being proactive about looking for opportunities that align with your experience.

The scientist who ended up hiring me for SIP told me she was skeptical of anyone with a perfect GPA and preferred slackers to uptight 4.0 students because the slackers tend to do better science and the uptight students cant handle failure. I also met another scientist at the NIH who said "Nobody with a GPA below 3.9 should go into science". One of my post-bacc offers I received after being asked what the heat equation has to do with the solutions to schrodinger's equation for a particle in a box. The PI I will be working for during my post bacc never asked to see my GPA, maybe he searched me on the app system after I e-mailed him but I can't be sure. My point is that there is literally no way to really know what is going on lol.

In the same lab, one of the old post-baccs had a 3.2 GPA. But he had extensive research experience in that field so it was overlooked. As stated earlier, a 3.8 is sufficient for SIP, but it is really on you to contact PIs. If you rely on PIs finding you, you'll never get in

Yeah, I need to email a lot more PIs. So far I've only emailed a few, but no replies.

Agree with the above. Definitely apply to MANY internships. Think 10-20.

First summer, applied to 4, got into 1. Kinda had an "in" to the one that I got into. Or at least that got my application looked at closer.

Second summer, applied to 15, got into 2.

Also on the 4.0 note... honestly, my PI for my first internship straight up told me without prompting that she took me on because I had a 4.0, and then the PI for my second internship said the same thing. Second PI also noted that the 4.0 was only alluring in combination with the fact that I "had a life" documented outside of academics, though. I think some PIs just specifically seek it out, as @idontwatchgreysanatomy said, but most don't care. I guess it just leaves a few more doors open for PIs that have a thing for a 4.0, for whatever reason. It's not even really indicative of how well you'll do research, but I guess everyone has their thing. They're in a position that allows them to be picky.

EDIT: Side note, I never emailed any PIs. Just applied straight to the program. Usually they only have certain faculty that participate in the program, so unless you know who those are, usually emailing is pointless.. or like if you know you gotta FIND a faculty member to sponsor you, obviously you gotta.

Whats good SDN'ers

It's that time of the year again to be applying or already applied to summer internships. I just recently completed my apps for the SPUR program at MCW as well as a state-funded research/PH internship.

I want this thread to serve as a hub of information and advice for all applicants applying to their desired summer programs. Good luck
Theres already a thread created for this topic way back in early december

Um, is it just me who finds this awkward, but can SR-EIP institutions "Closed with no offer" people this early on? I feel as if this is a mistake? I met the eligibility criteria, and I find it a bit unfair that I probably got a quick gloss and an "okbai" from Weill Gateways.

Um, is it just me who finds this awkward, but can SR-EIP institutions "Closed with no offer" people this early on? I feel as if this is a mistake? I met the eligibility criteria, and I find it a bit unfair that I probably got a quick gloss and an "okbai" from Weill Gateways.

What are your stats if you dont mind me asking? Mine are really low and I dont have that message, so perhaps email them and ask? I was under the impression their website said they dont make decisions until March?

I'm not familiar with the program, but it looks like 100+ applicants for 15 spots. They probably have a lot of people who are more than qualified, but they can't take most of them just because of the size of the program. That's an inherently unfair component to any highly competitive program, but nothing personal.

Of course, there is always the chance that this was a glitch.

Here is my info:
Sophomore
Temple U.
GPA 3.80
M/S GPA 3.86
I have 4 recommenders

I did two summers away. GPA 3.7 ish, 2 recommenders (a professor letter from class and a long term research lab PI letter) both years. Applied to roughly 6 programs both years and got rejected from every other program except for one. All you need is one :p

Last edited:
Are any of you guys having a problem with program coordinators not yet downloading your transcript? I keep getting an alert from my school saying the recipient hasnt opened up my transcript. Program deadline was Feb. 1st.

Are any of you guys having a problem with program coordinators not yet downloading your transcript? I keep getting an alert from my school saying the recipient hasnt opened up my transcript. Program deadline was Feb. 1st.

It's only the 5th. I'm sure they have hundreds of applications to sort through. Don't overthink it.

Hey, all! I was just accepted to Vanderbilt's Summer Minority Research Program. Last week, I also received an offer from NIH SIP to work there this summer (after EXTENSIVE emailing to 25+ PIs for almost two months). I am THRILLED with these results, but I am also unsure of which one (if either) I should take. I applied to 15 programs total, so these are just the first two I have heard back from. Any advice or things to take into account when making this decision would be greatly appreciated.

I am a long-time lurker and new poster on this site. I am a junior studying neuroscience and currently have a 3,3 GPA (sGPA identical), so I guess I have a good "story" to tell with my research (although I will admit I feel incredibly lucky to have been offered these spots--with so many applicants it seems like a lottery who they decide to take!).

If anybody has questions for me, please feel free to ask. I'm happy to share! Good luck to everybody else, too!! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Just FYI - Columbia University Amgen program has the potential mentors you listed on your application reviewing applications right now. I'm not sure if they've been instructed to contact applicants directly or how long they have to review applications, but I just received an email from one of the PIs I listed. Keep your eyes peeled!

I was offered a spot about 2 weeks ago by a scientist for NIH SIP. I accepted it. My GPA is like, 3.55.

I'm still getting interest emails from other PIs/institutions, but I'm declining as they come in.

Reactions: 1 users
Just FYI - Columbia University Amgen program has the potential mentors you listed on your application reviewing applications right now. I'm not sure if they've been instructed to contact applicants directly or how long they have to review applications, but I just received an email from one of the PIs I listed. Keep your eyes peeled!
Huh, that's interesting. So do you reckon the process is one where each PI picks a student and the committee then selects students from the 120+ mentor selections?

There are two 2017 threads it appears...can we honestly just consolidate things and utilize one? I mean, unless you guys don't mind going back and forth :p

Huh, that's interesting. So do you reckon the process is one where each PI picks a student and the committee then selects students from the 120+ mentor selections?
I have no idea to be perfectly honest. It's possible because my application status says "Your application is complete and under review by potential mentors. "

Got an interview at Harvard SCTRP! Hoping to hear some good news from you all :)

@WedgeDawg could you help us merge both threads? When it was in preallo it got a lot more traffic which helped me a ton and a lot of other members I am assuming.

Reactions: 2 users
I was offered a spot about 2 weeks ago by a scientist for NIH SIP. I accepted it. My GPA is like, 3.55.

Same! Except my GPA is literally a 3.3 LOL so it goes to show that a good research background helps! It all depends on what the PIs need and what skills you have developed thus far.

Also, I would love to have the two 2017 summer research threads merged as well. It's annoying to have to check both for updates!

I have no idea to be perfectly honest. It's possible because my application status says "Your application is complete and under review by potential mentors. "
I also applied to Columbia AMGEN (and a list of other SURF programs) and that message shows up for me as well, although I haven't received any messages from potential PI's...

then again, I'm not expecting much from the because I believe that specific AMGEN has one of the lowest acceptance rates. correct me if i'm wrong...

I also applied to Columbia AMGEN (and a list of other SURF programs) and that message shows up for me as well, although I haven't received any messages from potential PI's...

then again, I'm not expecting much from the because I believe that specific AMGEN has one of the lowest acceptance rates. correct me if i'm wrong...

It wouldn't surprise me given its location. I just found this on their FAQ: "20) I received an email stating that a mentor was interested in my application; does this mean that I have been accepted into the program?
No. If you receive an email from the program coordinator or potential mentor, this does not guarantee your acceptance into the program. This email is only a preliminary part of the selection process, and your application must pass several more hurdles before we can officially offer you the fellowship."

It's possible that the 120+ mentors choose their top applicants and those that are selected continue on to a selection committee to reduce the number of applications that they have to review but that's honestly just a guess. So even if a PI selects you, Columbia only accepts around 20 students but up to 30 (as opposed to Stanford who accepts 35-38) and I don't know how many people apply (just that it's 5000 globally for around 360 positions).

Last edited:
From previous threads, it appeared they received 850-900 apps for about 20 spots in 2009. Given that was 8 years ago, I'd imagine the number of applicants skyrocketed relative to that figure. That said, IF a PI is highly interested in you, I'd like to think that a ~20% shot based on that alone (though it may not be an accurate basis) is much better than the ~2% chance otherwise.

Well, good luck to all. If I don't get in, there's always research at my home institution.

Btw, since it seems like there's a few Columbia Amgen Scholars applicants on here, did anyone else notice or find it weird they changed the third "essay" prompt?