Summer Research Application and Acceptance Thread ( SPUR, SURF, SURP, SIP, AMGEN etc.) 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted Cincinnati Children's SURF 2/23/17!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
So can we except the majority of the rest of the programs to come out next week?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations! Did they email you?
Yes. They emailed me around 5 this afternoon. However, I will decline the offer to give someone else a chance on the waitlist because I already accepted an offer from Princeton.

Yes. They emailed me around 5 this afternoon. However, I will decline the offer to give someone else a chance on the waitlist because I already accepted an offer from Princeton.
Congrats!!! Btw, what is the deadline for the offer acceptance?

Accepted to University of Cincinatti ASPET SURF program!

Reactions: 2 users
When did you get an offer from Princeton? What program?

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all,

I was just accepted into the Harvard Stem Cell program for the upcoming summer! Has anyone participated in this program in previous years? I've worked at the NIH for the past two summers and I am debating whether I should return to my same lab or go with the Harvard program. My PI from the NIH already confirmed that I will have a position in her lab as an IRTA fellow after I graduate, so I figured that I would pursue other avenues this summer. What do you think? I am also waiting to hear back from the Harvard-Amgen program coordinators!

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted
CSNE REU at MIT - rn3x (2/15)
Rockefeller SURF - sciencenerd14 (2/17)
NIH SIP - kitts95 (sometime between 1/30 and 2/4), ho04pe (2/16)
Vanderbilt SMRP - kitts95 (2/6)
Brigham Women's STARS - Chromium Surfer ( 2/22)
Michigan State SROP - AutoclaveGuru( 2/13)
Iowa SUMR - Microbug (2/23)
Harvard Stem Cell Institute Internship Program (HIP) - Beyonce2.0 (2/24)
Harvard SCTRP- Chromium Surfer ( 2/24)
HMS-DBMI/HST Summer Institute in Biomedical Informatics - bluelamin(2/24)
UNC SURE-REU- ho04pe (2/25)
Preliminary Offer/Interview
Columbia Amgen - sciencenerd14 (2/14)
Waiting

Albert Einstein CoM
Columbia (Amgen)
Duke SROP
DeBakey Summer Surgery Program
Johns Hopkins SIP
Mass Genn SRTP
Mayo
McGovern Medical School (UT-Houston) SURP
MD Anderson CPRIT-CURE
Memorial Sloan Kettering
MIT (Amgen)
NYU SURP
RISE @ Rutgers
UC Berkeley (Amgen)
UMich Health Policy and Management
UPENN Pre-med Program
UPenn SUIP
UPENN SUMR
UPitt
URochester
UT Southwestern
Scripps
SR-EIP
Stanford (Amgen)
TGEN
Vanderbilt VSSA
WashU in St. Louis (Amgen)
UCSF SIP
Unicersity Nebraska Medical Center
University Nebraska Lincoln SRP
University of Minnesota LSSURP
Cincinnati Children's SURF
Harvard AMGEN

Quick question to those who have applied through the leadership alliance, is it more common to hear back via phonecall/email or from the website?

Quick question to those who have applied through the leadership alliance, is it more common to hear back via phonecall/email or from the website?
I also applied thru here and haven't heard back. Any news on ur end?

The alliance sent an email a few weeks back saying you'd likely hear through email from the program before the website updates?

The alliance sent an email a few weeks back saying you'd likely hear through email from the program before the website updates?
The only email I have from them is the one letting me know that my application went through and that it's being reviewed by the different sites. I just says to check back on the site for potential offers.

A couple of my buddies in the past have done LA and most said they received email or call hours before the online portal updated to show acceptance

How do y'all apply to so many programs? Do you just bother your recommenders to submit a LoR 100x or is there an easier way?

How do y'all apply to so many programs? Do you just bother your recommenders to submit a LoR 100x or is there an easier way?
with programs like Leadership alliance, you can submit one app to 3 schools. But for other ones, recommenders have to submit individually...

What I did was apply to programs in clusters. That way my letter writers could tailor their letters to each cluster rather than having to come up with 10 unique letters etc.

I also gave them detailed information about me and they both knew me well already and we had a good realtionship.

Finally do not procrastinate! I gave them a little over a months notice.

or just dont apply to a ton of programs...only the ones you feel you have a good shot at

or just dont apply to a ton of programs...only the ones you feel you have a good shot at
Even if you have a good shot at a program, there are a lot of other qualified people who have a shot as well! There are more qualified candidates than openings. So at least coming from a risk averse and conservative perspective applying to at least a few programs is warranted.

Or you can be a boss like you :cool:

Do people who go to major research universities generally get accepted to these programs? I go to the university with the largest endowment for research in the country so I'm skeptical...

Last edited:

I applied to 17 programs this year. So I had a defined list in November and had 4 letter writers. Sent each their own separate template with program name , how to submit letter and due dates. Sent that to them first week of December and a week before deadlines sent a quick email reminder. I know my PIs were busy but it's forming that relationship with them before that really gives them the initiative to complete them for you.

Do people who go to major research universities generally get accepted to these programs? I go to the university with the largest endowment for research in the country so I'm skeptical...

Statistically like you know they look for Minority students and those from a smaller university, but with anything they want diversity. I'm a student at an HBCU so if you look at programs past interns there seems to be at least one guaranteed spot for hbcus and the same seems to be for larger institutions where there's one or two as well.

It depends on the program but I agree with everything AutoclaveGuru said. The traditional-type program I did after my freshmen year had 4 people from HBCUs, 1 from Hawaii, 2 from high ranking small liberals arts colleges from the West coast, 1 from a southern public research university, 2 from Cornell, 1 from SUNY, 1 from Stonybrook, 2 from northeastern small liberal arts colleges, 2 from Puerto rico, 1 from NJ, and 4 from northeastern public Universities. There were 7 who were born in different countries and about 60% of the program was supported by the NIH (URM). The handful that graduated last year are currently in medical school, grad school, or are IRTA fellows at the NIH.

Sent from my SM-G930P using SDN mobile

Statistically like you know they look for Minority students and those from a smaller university, but with anything they want diversity. I'm a student at an HBCU so if you look at programs past interns there seems to be at least one guaranteed spot for hbcus and the same seems to be for larger institutions where there's one or two as well.
I am a URM so I applied but I'm still hoping the school I go to doesn't hurt my chances too much. Thanks!

if you haven't already, I would suggest spending a summer at your institution first and apply to summer programs next year. you would have a much greater chance of getting in if you already have substantial research experience. but to answer your question, yes people from big research universities also get accepted to these programs - but it depends on the program. you can look at past participants and where they came from to get an idea of what kinds of applicants the program is looking for. however, usually the "top" programs require like about a year of research experience beforehand regardless of what undergrad you go to.

Last edited:
Does DAAD Rise do silent rejections? Did anyone apply to DAAD Rise or NIH Amgen this round?

Is anyone applying to UCSF Amgen or Amgen Tokyo or Amgen Kyoto? How does MIT Amgen think about unique life stories?

Just got rejected from Dartmouth's MPUS program. Did anybody else hear back from them today? The email I got was kind but I'm not sure if I should be pleased by it or if it was just the same generic email they sent to all applicants (more likely):

"Dear applicant,

Thank you for your application to the Dartmouth MPUS Fellowship for the summer of 2016. Despite your strong application, we regret to inform you that following an intensely competitive screening of over 110 total applications, we are unable to offer you one of the spots in our fellowship program this summer.

Please do not interpret this decision as a reflection of your academic prowess or ability to be competitive for MD-PhD programs in the future. This decision was very hard for us to make and to be honest, given your credentials and determination, we are certain that you will do very well as an MD-PhD applicant in the near future. Indeed, we hope to see you interviewing at Dartmouth's MD-PhD program!

Thanks again for allowing us the honor to read your application.

Wishing you the very best in your endeavors both this summer and in the future,"

Did anyone hear back from WashU or Mayo yet?

Has anyone heard any news from the Duke SROP or the LA?

Did u apply to Amgen NIH?
I am a non-graduating senior with almost 4 semesters of research experience.
3.98 GPA
No publications but currently working on one
I have presented at numerous conferences both local and national
I applied to Mayo, University of Minnesota LSSURP, Stanford AMGEN, Harvard AMGEN, University of California- San Francisco, University of Nebraska- Lincoln, University of Cincinnati Medical Center, Johns Hopkins, NIH, and Washington University.
Anyone else applying to these?
apply to

Good luck! You applied to Amgen WUSTL correct?
I applied to Washington University's BIOMED RAP program. The only Amgen programs I applied to were Stanford and Harvard :)
Good luck to you too!

I applied to Washington University's BIOMED RAP program. The only Amgen programs I applied to were Stanford and Harvard :)
Good luck to you too!
Also applied biomedrap which I heard from past participants offers more workshops for applications than WashU amgen.

Also applied biomedrap which I heard from past participants offers more workshops for applications than WashU amgen.
Awesome. Good luck to you :)

Just got accepted to MD Anderson CPRIT-CURE!
Accepted
CSNE REU at MIT - rn3x (2/15)
Rockefeller SURF - sciencenerd14 (2/17)
NIH SIP - kitts95 (sometime between 1/30 and 2/4), ho04pe (2/16)
Vanderbilt SMRP - kitts95 (2/6)
Brigham Women's STARS - Chromium Surfer ( 2/22)
Michigan State SROP - AutoclaveGuru( 2/13)
Iowa SUMR - Microbug (2/23)
Harvard Stem Cell Institute Internship Program (HIP) - Beyonce2.0 (2/24)
Harvard SCTRP- Chromium Surfer ( 2/24)
HMS-DBMI/HST Summer Institute in Biomedical Informatics - bluelamin(2/24)
UNC SURE-REU- ho04pe (2/25)
MD Anderson CPRIT-CURE (2/27)
Preliminary Offer/Interview
Columbia Amgen - sciencenerd14 (2/14)
Waiting

Albert Einstein CoM
Columbia (Amgen)
Duke SROP
DeBakey Summer Surgery Program
Johns Hopkins SIP
Mass Genn SRTP
Mayo