Summer Research Application and Acceptance Thread ( SPUR, SURF, SURP, SIP, AMGEN, LA etc.) 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anybody heard from Johns Hopkins Amgen? I haven’t heard anything from either JHU or NYU Langone... Is silent rejection the going assumption? Thanks all :)

Members don't see this ad.

I know Brown has sent out their acceptances already. They sent them late Feb. Coming from someone who was silently rejected, I had to reach out the confirm that I was rejected. Best of luck!

thank you for the information! better luck to us next time.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anybody heard from Johns Hopkins Amgen? I haven’t heard anything from either JHU or NYU Langone... Is silent rejection the going assumption? Thanks all :)
I don't know if NYU Langone will send out actual rejections, but they said they would know on Friday 3/22 if they would be accepting more people so to expect to hear back sometime after ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Does anyone know if Mayo sends out rejection emails? I know pretty much all of the acceptances have been sent out already, but I checked the portal and there's still no update. I just wanna know if I should assume this is a silent rejection

Anyone still waiting on UPenn SUIP, Stanford Canary Crest, SUROC UNC, and the BCMP SSP at Harvard?

Anyone still waiting on UPenn SUIP, Stanford Canary Crest, SUROC UNC, and the BCMP SSP at Harvard?
I am still waiting on SUROC UNC. I have not heard anything from them..I thought they were supposed to release the decision last friday

Does anyone know if Mayo sends out rejection emails? I know pretty much all of the acceptances have been sent out already, but I checked the portal and there's still no update. I just wanna know if I should assume this is a silent rejection
From what they told me they will just reject us by updating our portals no later than 31st

thank you for the information! better luck to us next time.
Also still waiting for SREIP Psychology but for Princeton and Stanford. Not really sure who to contact to determine if I was rejected or not.

Also still waiting for SREIP Psychology but for Princeton and Stanford. Not really sure who to contact to determine if I was rejected or not.
I wrote to Stanford and Brown yesterday, since it's Monday I don't expect to hear back for a few days. I'll let you know what they say. I contacted the names from the school specific list, it has the individual coordinator listed. Hopefully these are updated. Let me know if you hear anything!
Research Sites | The Leadership Alliance | Brown University

Rejected from JHU Amgen 3/25. Still no word from NYU... fingers and toes crossed!

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected from JHU Amgen 3/25. Still no word from NYU... fingers and toes crossed!
Please let us know if you hear back from NYU or find out when they will release more decisions. I spoke with them last week and don't want to annoy them... but also want to know

I just got an e-mail reply from Brown saying that they will post offers on the placement tab of the portal and hope to have all offers completed by April 1st, and the portal will be closed on April 15th.

SUROC UNC told me on the 14th they would be emailing all decisions "by the end of next week," which has passed by now. UCLA BIG Summer just told me they were still reviewing applications and would be notifying applicants by the 29th.

On another note, I need to reject a program today - I was initially excited about the offer, but they do not offer paid travel support and tickets (one-way) seem to be around ~$1000, which isn't a great use for my stipend as I desperately need a new laptop. How have you all been directing your replies to programs when you are denying their offer? I understand that you can just ghost them, but I really don't want to be rude.

Hi newbie here, I know some people have mentioned they've called but has anyone actually gotten accepted by berkeley amgen on here? should I just give up, I've called them and they recognized my name and said they're still considering me

Has anyone heard back or been accepted to Yale SUMR/ Yale KUH

If I get accepted to a program and has already accepted their offer and then got accepted to a better program later, is it okay to rescind the previous offer?? What might go wrong with doing this?

Is there any programs that still have applications open for the Summer of 2019?

Accepted to Indiana University's Animal Behavior REU (3/27)

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone heard back from UPENN suip.
I was already denied from Rockefeller SURF and UCSF SRTP.

Has anyone heard back from MedSURP at MD Anderson/UTHealth in Houston? My application still says submitted and I haven't heard back yet so I was just wondering

I posted this in previous years, but thought it would again be relevant now that decisions are coming back

For all you guys struggling through this process: it will be okay. I remember reading all these posts back after my sophomore year when I applied to all these summer research programs. The result- I was rejected from every single one (all 10, and no top programs) and felt pretty crushed. Despite that, I used my summer to work on the MCAT, work a full time job at a restaurant, and do a little bit of clinical volunteering. While it was hard to see all these other people going off to these big things, you can still find other ways to show your passion and pursue your dreams. Find something you really love to do and you can still move toward what you want to do.

Skip to the end of my story-I ended up having a great MD/PhD application cycle. 20 apps, 14II, 12 interviews, 11 acceptances (including multiple to top 10 type programs I didn't even consider applying to for summer research) and am now a happy M2 at my first choice school (think top 3). I even was able to be in a position to turn down interview invites at schools that had previously rejected me for these type of summer programs. Your life (and pursuit of medicine/science) does not end with these rejections/acceptances.

Keep fighting

Reactions: 9 users
Never thought I'd be here but here we are! I got accepted to some research programs and I have narrowed it down to 2 - one in Texas (more environmental chemistry related) the other in Georgia (neuroscience based). I eagerly accepted Texas because I live here and thought no one else would accept me so now I don't know what to do. A few things to keep in mind if you have suggestions:

Texas: I'm a chem major at community college but highly interested in neuroscience, it's a longer duration by 1 week and pays $550/week, will probably be more outdoors.

Georgia: is for 9 weeks, pays $500/week, I've never been to Georgia and I feel it will be a lot of fun

Thanks in advance and good luck to everyone waiting on their acceptances!

Has anyone been a part of the MCHC RISE UP Internship in South Dakota? I recently got accepted and I want to know what to expect. Were your internship peers a diverse group of people because being a minority in the Mid West kind of scares me

Has anyone been a part of the MCHC RISE UP Internship in South Dakota? I recently got accepted and I want to know what to expect. Were your internship peers a diverse group of people because being a minority in the Mid West kind of scares me
I’m from the Midwest and you’ll be fine

Rejected from UC Berkeley Amgen, but the letter said that they want to recruit me for the graduate program. How common is this and how promising is this to future grad school admissions? (I'm not sure if I want an MD or PhD yet)

Rejected from UC Berkeley Amgen, but the letter said that they want to recruit me for the graduate program. How common is this and how promising is this to future grad school admissions? (I'm not sure if I want an MD or PhD yet)
was it personalized?