***The Official Midwestern-Arizona Class of 2023 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
I received the waitlist email June 19th. Seems like this year they aren't emailing those on waitlist, wondering if a letter of intent would help?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I received the waitlist email June 19th. Seems like this year they aren't emailing those on waitlist, wondering if a letter of intent would help?
Yeah I’ve been thinking about calling but since it seems no one has moved off the waitlist, I think I might just wait. A dentist I shadowed said he had a friend who hadn’t recieved an II from his top choice so he called and expressed his interest and asked if it’d be possible to interview with them and it worked out, I’m not sure which school it was though.

Last edited:
Does anyone want to coordinate a hotel stay? I'm interviewing October 11th!

Members don't see this ad :)
I got my third interview from MW-AZ.
BUT, I did not get the email but instead checked their portal just now and it said I have been invited for interview. I was allowed to select the interview dates. I've seen people getting "waitlisted for interview", hopefully I was not waitlisted since I was able to actually select dates. Does anyone have any idea on when I should be expecting the email for interview invitation?

I got my third interview from MW-AZ.
BUT, I did not get the email but instead checked their portal just now and it said I have been invited for interview. I was allowed to select the interview dates. I've seen people getting "waitlisted for interview", hopefully I was not waitlisted since I was able to actually select dates. Does anyone have any idea on when I should be expecting the email for interview invitation?
It's been a few weeks since I found out I received an interview via portal, but I still haven't received the official interview invite email

I don't think you will get it lol. I selected a date, and got an email confirming the date. I think if you select the date before you get an email their automated system assumes you might of gotten an email about the interview already so it doesn't bother sending you an email to tell you that you got an interview

Makes sense. Thanks!

It's been a few weeks since I found out I received an interview via portal, but I still haven't received the official interview invite email
Did you select the interview date yet?

Yup and I booked a flight too!
Oh then that may be why! I heard people saying if you confirmed the interview date via portal before getting interview invitation email then you dont get it at all. You just get an email confirming the interview date that you chose.

Reactions: 1 user
Oh then that may be why! I heard people saying if you confirmed the interview date via portal before getting interview invitation email then you dont get it at all. You just get an email confirming the interview date that you chose.
Ah gotchya, sounds about right. I got a little excited and jumped the gun lol

Just received an interview invite from midwestern-AZ. Anyone else interviewing October 2nd?

Hiiii! Just received my first interview invite from midwestern this morning!

3.58 cum gpa 3.44 science
20 AA with none under 19

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Second year applying, but received a rejection notice again. :(
At least last year I received a waitlist interview.

AADSAS submission date: July 24
Secondary submission date: July 27
MWAZ application completion date: July 28
Rejection notice: July 31 between 3-4AM.

GPA (overall, science): 3.43, 3.25
DAT (PA, QR, RC, BIO, GC, OC, TS, AA): 21, 20, 22, 20, 19, 20, 20, 20

Good luck to everyone else, and to those who can provide some insight, do you know what the adcom is exactly looking for or what their cut off may be?

Last edited:

Good luck to everyone else, and to those who can provide some insight, do you know what the adcom is exactly looking for or what their cut off may be?
I am not sure if anything I know is helpful but I know that Midwestern takes pride in their clinical procedure numbers and strong desire to general dentistry. They typically have an older class and like applicants that have experience in critical thinking. I know they typically focus holistically and try to get a class that will help each other (they try to limit the number of gunners). How they accomplish all of these points though, I don't know.
Good luck with the rest of the cycle!!

Reactions: 5 users

Don't know much about the exact criteria these schools use to select people, but I will tell you this, you got this, stay positive, and keep your eye on the ball. I have failed and been rejected often in my life, but getting back up and trying again is always worth it! Best of luck!

First rejection :(

overall GPA undergrad: 3.08, overall GPA master's: 3.77
science GPA undergrad: 2.98, science GPA master's: 3.77
DAT (PAT, QR, RC, BIO, GC, OC, TS, AA): 23, 24, 25, 25, 30, 26, 27, 26

i'm assuming it's because of my undergrad GPA.
What?! Your DAT is amazing, and you have or will have a master's degree I assume.

Anyways, I wouldn't fret about one school. With your scores and upward GPA trend, you should hear back from other schools! :)

I am not sure if anything I know is helpful but I know that Midwestern takes pride in their clinical procedure numbers and strong desire to general dentistry. They typically have an older class and like applicants that have experience in critical thinking. I know they typically focus holistically and try to get a class that will help each other (they try to limit the number of gunners). How they accomplish all of these points though, I don't know.
Good luck with the rest of the cycle!!
Don't know much about the exact criteria these schools use to select people, but I will tell you this, you got this, stay positive, and keep your eye on the ball. I have failed and been rejected often in my life, but getting back up and trying again is always worth it! Best of luck!

I appreciate the advice and the positivity!

This rejection was kind of discouraging if I'm being honest lol

I agree, but realistically we (hopefully) applied to a lot of schools to better our chances. We can't expect to get into them all, so like Hydra92 and jj.work mentioned, stay positive!

My interview is set for September 17! How are you guys preparing for this interview? I heard that MWU is one of the schools that teaches you how to place implants.

My interview is set for September 17! How are you guys preparing for this interview? I heard that MWU is one of the schools that teaches you how to place implants.
As a student you get 4 "free" implants when you're in clinic. So you will be placing at least 8. I'm just flipping through the questions on the sdn website.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users
Received an interview invite earlier today (08/02)..my first invite so I'm very excited!
Overall GPA: 3.77
Science GPA: 3.65
DAT (PAT, QR, RC, BIO, GC, OC, TS, AA): 21, 22, 30, 20, 21, 22, 21, 23

Received an interview invite through their portal a couple of weeks ago! Wohoooo! First interview invite. Anyone else interviewing Oct. 4?

Interview #1: MWU (received 8/3)
GPA: 3.90
sGPA: 3.87
DAT: AA-23, TS-21, PAT-21, RC-23, BIO-19, GC-26, OC-22, QR-23
OOS- MT

Have not picked an interview date yet!

Interview #3
School: Midwestern - AZ
Notification date: 8/8/18
Method of notification: Checked the portal and was able to schedule - have not received an email yet
Residency: North Dakota (WICHE)
AADSAS mail-out date: 7/10/18
Application complete date: 7/17/18
GPA (science, overall): 3.88, 3.95
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 20/18/21/23/none
Dates available OR your interview date: 4 November weekdays

As a student you get 4 "free" implants when you're in clinic. So you will be placing at least 8. I'm just flipping through the questions on the sdn website.

You get 2 your D3 year and 2 your D4 year, unless they start allocating both Bicon and Straumann implants for us to place. There are specific requirements for students to be able to place them, so don't expect that you can easily do so.

You get 2 your D3 year and 2 your D4 year, unless they start allocating both Bicon and Straumann implants for us to place. There are specific requirements for students to be able to place them, so don't expect that you can easily do so.
Yeah, I was figuring for the fact that your D4 and then your D3 will also get two. I guess I should have said that you would be involved in placing 8. Sorry if what I said was confusing.

Does anyone know a rough schedule of the interview day? What do we do during that time between 730 a.m. and 430 p.m.? It seems like a pretty long time to be at the school. Will it actually go that whole time or do they just say that so that we're not itching to get out of there by one o'clock? Just curious since I'll have a long drive afterward. Thanks in advance for input/replies.

Does anyone know a rough schedule of the interview day? What do we do during that time between 730 a.m. and 430 p.m.? It seems like a pretty long time to be at the school. Will it actually go that whole time or do they just say that so that we're not itching to get out of there by one o'clock? Just curious since I'll have a long drive afterward. Thanks in advance for input/replies.
I asked one of the D2s. His memory was a little foggy on it so if someone else knows please correct me if it's wrong. He said morning was a presentation from admissions, clinic tour and sim tour. Then lunch. After lunch one group does a campus tour while the other interviews and then they switch. Not sure when we're finish but I would plan to be there the whole time from what it sounded like.

I asked one of the D2s. His memory was a little foggy on it so if someone else knows please correct me if it's wrong. He said morning was a presentation from admissions, clinic tour and sim tour. Then lunch. After lunch one group does a campus tour while the other interviews and then they switch. Not sure when we're finish but I would plan to be there the whole time from what it sounded like.

Yeah, I was last up for my interview so I was just in the waiting room for like 3 hours doing nothing

Received an interview from here this morning. I was on the waitlist.

How long did it take for them to email some of you the supplemental application? I submitted my AASDSAS app a week ago but have heard nothing from them so far.

How long did it take for them to email some of you the supplemental application? I submitted my AASDSAS app a week ago but have heard nothing from them so far.
Once your application is verified they will send you an email stating you meet their standard requirements, then you will receive instructions on the supplemental. Hopefully that kind of helps.

Got an invite but there are no interview dates available. Does anyone when MWU-AZ will update it?

Got an invite but there are no interview dates available. Does anyone when MWU-AZ will update it?
I'm in the same boat as you... I just keep refreshing hoping one will open up :shrug:

Did you do anything to get off the waitlist, or just waited it out?
I just waited it out. The email was a total surprise. I thought it was going to be a rejection when I first saw it. I was put on the waitlist July 20.

I just waited it out. The email was a total surprise. I thought it was going to be a rejection when I first saw it. I was put on the waitlist July 20.
Thanks for the reply, and congrats! Good luck at your interview!

Interview #2
Notification date: 8/17
Method of notification:
Received Email
Residency: NM
AADSAS mail-out date:
8/8
Application complete date: 8/14
GPA (science, overall):
3.25, 3.20
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 23/22/21/23/none
Dates available OR your interview date: 11/27 and 11/29

Really unfortunate that late November dates are all that are available.

Last edited:
Interview #2
Notification date: 9/17
Method of notification:
Received Email
Residency: NM
AADSAS mail-out date:
9/8
Application complete date: 9/14
GPA (science, overall):
3.25, 3.20
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 23/22/21/23/none
Dates available OR your interview date: 11/27 and 11/29

Really unfortunate that late November dates are all that are available.
Are those dates correct or do you mean August?

Either way....congrats!!!

Waitlisted for Interview. sGPA 3.65, oGPA 3.73.
20/20/22 (AA/TS/PAT).

Interview #1
Notification date: 8/28
Method of notification:
Received Email
Residency: out of state
AADSAS mail-out date:
7/30
Application complete date: 8/15
GPA (science, overall):
3.35, 3.24
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 20/19/22/19/none
Dates available OR your interview date: 12/4 (only available date)

I have my BS degree from UCSD (low GPA) , MA from Midwestern-AZ (3.65 GPA) , dental hygiene license (golden scaler award winner top of class - 3.6 GPA), and been working as a hygienist for the last 4 years. Hopefully I get in this time.

From reading other comments above, I'm hesitant to claim this as Interview #1??? I never received any email and I just happened to log into the portal to see that I can schedule an interview. Someone else mentioned above that unless you receive an email, that you can schedule but it is not officially set? I'm grateful for an interview opportunity here, but I have to question if this is really happening?!

Interview #0.5
Notification date: N/A - Checked portal manually on 8/29.
Method of notification: N/A - No notification sent.
Residency: CA
AADSAS mail-out date: 8/9
DAT Date: 8/7 - DAT Official: 8/23
Application complete date: 8/24
GPA (science, overall): 4.0, 3.86
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 20/21/22/23/QR15
Dates available OR your interview date: Mon 12/10 and Th 12/13

That's my finals week but I'm expecting my lecture finals will likely be on the 10th and 11th, with lab finals on the 12th and 13th. I selected the 13th as I believe it's the lower risk of the two dates.

From reading other comments above, I'm hesitant to claim this as Interview #1??? I never received any email and I just happened to log into the portal to see that I can schedule an interview. Someone else mentioned above that unless you receive an email, that you can schedule but it is not officially set? I'm grateful for an interview opportunity here, but I have to question if this is really happening?!

Interview #0.5
Notification date: N/A - Checked portal manually on 8/29.
Method of notification: N/A - No notification sent.

Thirty minutes after, I got an official email confirming my interview date with instructions to check in at 7:30am. So this makes interview #1!!

Anybody interviewing on Sept 17? I'd like to hang with people on Sept 16 and after interviews Sept 17! ^^

For people that already had the interview - any advice? Also whats the general breakdown of the day? Why is it from 7:30 - 4:30? lol

For people that already had the interview - any advice? Also whats the general breakdown of the day? Why is it from 7:30 - 4:30? lol
8 hours..? Dang, I'm going to doze off for sure. The one aspect I dislike about interviews is that they drag on forever because their padded with presentations/slideshows. I just wanna get interviewed and take a tour of the school

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.