*** The Official UCLA School of Dentistry Class of 2024 Interview/Acceptance Thread ***

artist2022

DDS 🦷🎓✔
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last year's thread: ***The Official UCLA School of Dentistry Class of 2023 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Hey guys! Definitely early for this but if you have any questions about applying to UCLA or about its program, post here! There are many incoming D1s on here (I'm sure they'll reveal themselves), but I'm a soon-to-be D2, and there are also rising D3s like @californiway21, and rising D4s like @changtw. We'll try our best to answer, but we have finals next week and then it'll be our long awaited summer break :)

General Stats:
Class of 2023
Overall GPA
: 3.77
Science GPA: 3.73
DAT: 23AA, 23TS, 22PAT

Class of 2022
Overall GPA:
Science GPA: 3.77

Class of 2021
Overall GPA:
Science GPA: 3.70
DAT: 22AA, 22TS, 22PAT

Class of 2020
Overall GPA:
Science GPA: 3.73

General Info:
Prereqs: Info here. AP Credit accepted, but there are limitations on CC credit and no online classes are allowed. Not required at time of application, but must be complete by 6/30/2020-can't take any prereqs in the summer right before you start.
DAT: Must be taken before 12/31/2019, and if already taken, must be within a 3-year period (after 1/1/2017).
Class size: 88 seats
Grading system: P/F/H
Quarter System! Academic year is 3 10-week quarters plus 1 9-week summer (15 total sessions)
----> Here's our academic calendar in case you're wondering how a quarter system looks.
Research Intensive, about 70% of students specialize
Clinic starts Fall of D2
Graduate Housing available!
Can establish residency after 1 year
(instate tuition)
Regarding the curriculum: Anyone curious about the curriculum here at UCLA can browse this schedule below for each of the 4 years. There is typically a final for each class that is scheduled. UCLA Dentistry
Regarding interview prep: University of California Los Angeles School of Dentistry Interview Feedback
----> Be sure to give feedback on your interview to help future applicants! :)

Good luck everyone!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Already!?! I feel like I was just going through this process. I start UCLA this fall so I can definitely help with interview tips or with application questions in general. Good luck! :soexcited:

Reactions: 5 users
Wow! I remember when I was applying exactly one year ago too! I was hoping I’d get an interview at UCLA and bam! It happened and I got into the program and school of my dreams!!! I’m also happy to answer any questions that new applicants may have :)
UCLA Dentistry Class of 2023!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone, does anyone know when is the interview dates for this cycle? I was looking at last year’s thread and I think it was 8/20 and 24. Trying to plan a quick trip with family and avoid schedule conflict...

Is anyone having trouble condensing their answers to the supplemental questions since we are only given 100-150 characters?

Hi everyone, does anyone know when is the interview dates for this cycle? I was looking at last year’s thread and I think it was 8/20 and 24. Trying to plan a quick trip with family and avoid schedule conflict...
They haven't told us any info regarding interview dates yet! I'd probably leave mid-August onwards free, but they do give you 2-3 dates to choose from (usually across 2 weeks).
Is anyone having trouble condensing their answers to the supplemental questions since we are only given 100-150 characters?
Yeah, everyone. Unfortunately there's not much to be done about it.. I think that question could possibly be asked as an interview question to give applicants adequate "room" to answer? Duno.

Reactions: 1 user
I just wanted to know what your thoughts are on my chances into UCLA? 3.7 overall and 3.6 science GPA; 21AA 21 Sciences 23 PAT
I have quite a lot of EC and shadowing, but I noticed my scores are slightly below the average. Thanks!

I just wanted to know what your thoughts are on my chances into UCLA? 3.7 overall and 3.6 science GPA; 21AA 21 Sciences 23 PAT
I have quite a lot of EC and shadowing, but I noticed my scores are slightly below the average. Thanks!
They are below our averages but if you have the resources, I'd go ahead and apply. I'd keep your expectations realistic though, since they (and most other public schools) can be pickier with the students that apply.

They are below our averages but if you have the resources, I'd go ahead and apply. I'd keep your expectations realistic though, since they (and most other public schools) can be pickier with the students that apply.

Thanks for the honest feedback! I appreciate it! :)

I think you are a competitive applicant! I know many people that got in with even 3.4gpa and similar or even lower DAT scores. Good luck!!

I guess I may have been optimistic hoping for invites to go out July 30th like last year... Anyone hear back yet?

According to the UCLA website, " The Admissions Committee begins to review applications in September of each year. Candidates are selected for interviews based on information submitted from AADSAS, including the supplemental questions. Interviews are scheduled between the months of October and March. "

According to the UCLA website, " The Admissions Committee begins to review applications in September of each year. Candidates are selected for interviews based on information submitted from AADSAS, including the supplemental questions. Interviews are scheduled between the months of October and March. "

Interesting... interview invites were sent out in July last year and in August the previous year if I'm not mistaken. Any current students have any idea?

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess I may have been optimistic hoping for invites to go out July 30th like last year... Anyone hear back yet?
Interesting... interview invites were sent out in July last year and in August the previous year if I'm not mistaken. Any current students have any idea?
They haven't yet sent us an email regarding participating on the lunch panel, so I don't think any interviews have been sent out yet. As for being reviewed, they may have started already, or things may be different this year & they might just start reviewing in Sept.

They haven't yet sent us an email regarding participating on the lunch panel, so I don't think any interviews have been sent out yet. As for being reviewed, they may have started already, or things may be different this year & they might just start reviewing in Sept.

Interesting, thank you for the update Artist!

No, have you heard back from any California schools yet?

Nope, I haven't! Hoping to hear back soon hopefully.

I heard that there's an essay during our interview. Are there any tips on how to prepare for that essay?

Just received an interview today.
TN resident
DAT AA 28 TS 30 PAT 21

Reactions: 1 users
How does the interview invitation process for UCLA work? Do they send all the invitations on the same day? My stats are okay (TS 24, AA 23, PAT 19) but I have not received interview invitation today, and I am freaking out. I am a CA resident.

Last edited:
How does the interview invitation process for UCLA work? Do they send all the invitations on the same day? My stats are okay (TS 24, AA 23, PAT 19) but I have not received interview invitation today, and I am freaking out. I am a CA resident.
It's usually in rounds. No need to freak out, they JUST started sending interviews out, and it seems like they're inviting those with crazy high stats first (26, 27, and now a 28AA are the scores of the three people that have posted about getting an interview, as far as I know). The cycle will be reallllllllllly long, this is just the start. Try not to think too much about it, hone your interview skills and focus on school/new hobbies.

I didn't really follow a set schedule,but I tried to honestly evaluate my strengths and weaknesses to best prioritize my study time.

Once I knew my weakest topics (anatomy for me personally), I'd go through the bootcamp study guide and write out everything onto a white board the first go around. After that, I'd go through the section again trying to make novel connections on the board. Once you're mostly familiar and comfortable, just jot down the last pesky details onto a Google doc before moving on. I'd try to skim this document at least once every two days or so to keep this difficult material fresh.

Once you finish covering everything, just practice the subject specific tests and ignore the predicted scores. I got low to mid-20s on these, so don't let yourself get discouraged and aim to make each missed question a learning experience. Make sure you pay close attention to the explanations.

Good luck

I submitted my completed application on July 29th but I haven’t received a confirmation email in order to pay my secondary application fee yet. They are the only school I haven’t received an email from. Is this normal?

I submitted my completed application on July 29th but I haven’t received a confirmation email in order to pay my secondary application fee yet. They are the only school I haven’t received an email from. Is this normal?
Yeah, it takes some time. Don't pay it beforehand because it might mess things up...For some reason, "3 weeks" is stuck in my head, so give it until next week to email Noemi to ask about it.

My application was completed and submitted on Aug 5. This week my status changes into "Awaiting additional information" but have not received the email of secondary application yet. Is it normal?

My application was completed and submitted on Aug 5. This week my status changes into "Awaiting additional information" but have not received the email of secondary application yet. Is it normal?
Yup, it takes a couple weeks. You'll get the email soon, pay the fee, and then it'll change back.

Class of 2024! I feel old now lol!
Any OOS applicants have any questions, feel free to PM me ;)

Has anyone else received any interview invites? I want to gauge my chances at a pre-December invite, especially considering the UCs aren't the most OOS friendly.

Hey all, I recently had my interview at UCLA on the 23rd. Just want to let you all know that they changed the interview format to closed, not open. Seems like they made the change this year. It’s something I wish I knew for my interview, so hopefully this helps someone out there!

Reactions: 5 users
It’s been real quiet on the interviews invites... :(

When Schools call us and invites us for an interview, is it better to choose the earliest dates, or it better to wait to see how the first round of interviews goes?

Good luck to you for the interview!

Can you please specify your application complete and interview date?

I believe they messaged me to pay my supplements on August 19th, but haven’t messaged me after I paid on the same date. The date given is like September 13th but I’m trying to reschedule. All of my apps didn’t get completed till August 12th because I was waiting for committee letter.

Received an invite today as well. They asked me to come this Friday! Not sure if I can plan a trip to LA in less than a day since they need to know by tomorrow...
App Completed on July 19th and received a request for the supplemental fee on July 29th.

Does "Received/Application Complete" mean that they have received your supplemental fee?

What's the rate of acceptance for pre-December interviewees? And how many people are interviewed each year?

What's the rate of acceptance for pre-December interviews?
What's the rate of acceptance for pre-December interviewees? And how many people are interviewed each year?
I don't think this stat is released unfortunately. It's just a collective rate of acceptance, whether pre or post Dec. Only about 150 people are interviewed, for a class size of 88.

I don't think this stat is released unfortunately. It's just a collective rate of acceptance, whether pre or post Dec. Only about 150 people are interviewed, for a class size of 88.
Awesome, thank you so much! I interviewed a couple weeks ago, I'm really hoping I'll hear some good news in December lol :(