2018 ****The Official UNLV Dental Class of 2022 Interview/Acceptance Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
How long after your interview did they get back to you with an acceptance/waitlist/rejection?
All decisions are made on the 15th of each month, +/- 3 days. If no decisions were made on your part, you will be deferred to the next month.

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone else get an email after their deposit was received by the school saying a decision was made and to see it click on the decision made link on their Grad portal? I went there but there was no link where it says Decision Made. I don't really need to see it because I already know but I was just curious. Thank you!

Anyone interviewing February 9? DM me! Down to share uber/lyft/hotel with any gender

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else's status in the AADSAS portal change to none after the interview?

Anyone else's status in the AADSAS portal change to none after the interview?
Happens to everyone I think. It goes to "None" after the interview and if you get accepted, it'll go to "offer made." Those are the only changes that it makes, I think. At least that's what happened to me.

Anyone interviewing this Friday February 9 ?
DM me!

Reactions: 1 user
I was accepted to another school and will be turning down my spot at UNLV, so a spot will be opening up to those still waiting!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I have my interview this Friday, February 16th, and I'll be in Las Vegas the 14th. DM me if you want to hang out and explore the city with me before/after the interview :)

Declined my interview for 2/23/18. Goodluck you guys! Sending positive energy your way.

Reactions: 1 users
Declined my offer here, so there’s one more space open! Good luck to everyone!! :)

Reactions: 1 users
I can see that being pretty weird, it's just that what gets me is be a BSN and have a job at around 21 years old or maybe get my own Dental practice at around 31. I will have wasted a few semesters of schooling practically as well. I contacted some people at CSN, the UNLV Dental School, and I'm going to have a meeting with my advisor Wednesday. The only problem is my advisors are nursing advisors so they really can't help me beyond saying stick to nursing or don't.

I'm interviewing here on February 23rd =).

Also, I am a registered nurse with 5 years of trauma experience at Ben Taub General Hospital in Houston, TX... so I thought I could chime in even though this is a couple months later lol...

While earning a BSN isn't exactly the traditional path towards applying to dental school, I think it helped me tremendously in my application process. My clinical experience, albeit different from dentistry, set me apart from a lot of other candidates and I leaned heavily on my experiences in my personal statement AND during my interviews (in my personal statement, I shared a story about how I cared for a patient with a submandibular abscess so large, it was nearly completely occluding his airway. I assisted the anesthesia team in an awake nasal fiberoptic intubation, and OMFS did their thing prior to sending him to the ICU intubated because he was still a high risk for not maintaining his airway). I was also able to state how my experience as a charge nurse, which includes running the show for my unit, overseeing my staff, and delegating tasks, is comparable to running a private practice. My leadership and management skills are much improved now after my experience. I have interviewed at 3 schools and I was never explicitly asked why I left nursing... only why I chose to pursue dentistry. I filed my applications at the beginning of October 2017 lol... super late, but so far I have one acceptance at MWU-AZ (they accepted me on the spot) and I'm crossing my fingers for USC (interviewed there last week). So... it's certainly up to you. If you can handle having to go back to school after earning your BSN to complete the remaining prereqs for dental school, go for it! I wouldn't say it's the best route, but in my opinion, I don't think it could hurt you. It may even help you! P.M. me if you have any questions =). I'll be glad to help!

Base GPA: 3.6
Science GPA: 3.6
DAT: 22 AA/22 TS/22 PAT
BSN from UT Medical Branch
28 years old
100+ shadowing hours (2 general dentists, 1 oral surgeon)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
For those admitted, have you received any information on when orientation will be?

No, nothing yet. I figure more info will come after April 1st (when my second deposit is due -- maybe everyone's I'm not sure). Also, since the class is still not finalized, I'm sure Dr. Ancajas will probably want to wait to send it all out so she knows that everyone gets the same (and correct) info.

anybody know how many spots are still available?

When do the third round of acceptances go out? Had my interview late January.

I interviewed here 2/2 and I remember faintly that Dr Ancajas said that she’d make calls for acceptances today March 1?! Ya annoying received a call? I haven’t but again it’s been awhile so I don’t remember clearly. I just saw someone post March 9th, so did she tell you guys that recently?

I interviewed here 2/2 and I remember faintly that Dr Ancajas said that she’d make calls for acceptances today March 1?! Ya annoying received a call? I haven’t but again it’s been awhile so I don’t remember clearly. I just saw someone post March 9th, so did she tell you guys that recently?
I called a few days ago and she said the next round of decisions will be on March 9th.

Just got the call to be placed on the waitlist

Also on the wait list. Apparently 26/31 people on the wait list got accepted last year though, so don't give up!

Does anyone know when we can expect to hear back? They just said after the second deposit is due, whenever that is.

Are you IS?
No

Also on the wait list. Apparently 26/31 people on the wait list got accepted last year though, so don't give up!

Does anyone know when we can expect to hear back? They just said after the second deposit is due, whenever that is.

She said the deposit was due April 1st then they will get together to make decisions since we aren’t ranked

Is it bad that I haven't heard back from them yet? My interview was on the 9th.

I'll be giving up my spot tomorrow so I hope one of you guys will get it! Good luck!

Reactions: 4 users
Like did your portal change today? Mine still says none
Sorry I wasn't clear. I got in in mid-January, I did not just get in today. But in Mid-January I got a portal change on a Tuesday afternoon and an email on Wednesday morning

Does anyone know if it is a bad sign that on the portal it says 'none' for decision/status?

Does anyone know if it is a bad sign that on the portal it says 'none' for decision/status?
No, it doesn’t mean anything. Mine went to none after my interview for about 3 months before it changed to “offer made.”

If the class isn’t full yet, why would a school give out waitlists to some students and make no decision for other students?

For waitlist students, isn’t it that adcom finds them competitive but not quite there yet?

Does that mean no decision students are less competitive? Why wouldn’t they just be rejected or waitlisted?

If the class isn’t full yet, why would a school give out waitlists to some students and make no decision for other students?

For waitlist students, isn’t it that adcom finds them competitive but not quite there yet?

Does that mean no decision students are less competitive? Why wouldn’t they just be rejected or waitlisted?
I just called and was told that the class was not full yet, although it is close to being full.

I was also told that there were a few acceptances sent out along with the waitlists from last week.

The next committee meeting for decisions will be in mid April

I withdrew from the class! Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Reactions: 2 users
for people that are still waiting, has the last round of acceptance been sent out yet?

for people that are still waiting, has the last round of acceptance been sent out yet?

Class is full right now. Committee already met for April and made no decisions. If they do send out any waitlists or acceptances, it will be in May after they meet again.

Class is full right now. Committee already met for April and made no decisions. If they do send out any waitlists or acceptances, it will be in May after they meet again.
Do you think they send out rejections at all for those who interview? Having decisions being pushed back makes me more anxious lol

Do you think they send out rejections at all for those who interview? Having decisions being pushed back makes me more anxious lol

I didn’t ask, but I don’t think they do...
I don’t understand why those who are waiting aren’t given a decision of either waitlist or rejection :(

I didn’t ask, but I don’t think they do...
I don’t understand why those who are waiting aren’t given a decision of either waitlist or rejection :(
I agree. I want to know my chances if they were to narrow the pool a bit. But hopefully more people are withdrawing!

I called to verify that the class is already full and the admissions office confirmed. She said almost everyone has paid their deposits and that so far nobody has been offered acceptance off the wait list this year. If you want to apply again she was able to give me some helpful feedback from notes in my file just in case anyone is wondering.

Status
Not open for further replies.