2018 ****The Official UNLV Dental Class of 2022 Interview/Acceptance Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I opened up my interview date if anyone is waitlisted. I accepted to my dream dental school

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I was just accepted. It says "offer made" on AADSAS but I didn't receive a call or email.

So you were told you were on a waitlist then?
How?
When did you find out? Right on December 1st?
Interviewed Dec 9, 2016. Waitlisted sometimes in February through postal mail. Signed the waitlist acknowledgement and sent it back without thinking I'd get in. Complete silence until July 18, 2017

Do we get an email with more information about our acceptance here?

According to a last year's post:

Also I received the acceptance packet today! For those wondering, it contains:

1- Acceptance letter
2- Letter of interest form
3- Background check info
4- Ocular exam info
5- Housing info

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you my friend. Are you leaning towards UNLV?

How many of ya'll are actually attending UNLV?
Yep. Almost certain that I will be attending UNLV. It's only 3 hours away from my house :happy:.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep. Almost certain that I will be attending UNLV. It's only 3 hours away from my house :happy:.
Oh wow that is great. I am stuck between ASDOH and UNLV and I thought both programs were solid just having a hard time distinguishing the 2 and I need more than just the cheaper option lol

Interviewed Dec 9, 2016. Waitlisted sometimes in February through postal mail. Signed the waitlist acknowledgement and sent it back without thinking I'd get in. Complete silence until July 18, 2017
Thank you, gives me some hope!

Did anyone get their 40k scholarship? Have they all been awarded already?

I have a question for the people studying here already... How frequent are exams? :) Thanks!

Is this only for in staters?

No it’s for everyone.. they said during the interview that if you got it, there would be extra papers in your acceptance packet. I was wondering if they would call to tell you too? Or it’s a surprise when you get your packet?

No it’s for everyone.. they said during the interview that if you got it, there would be extra papers in your acceptance packet. I was wondering if they would call to tell you too? Or it’s a surprise when you get your packet?
I belive they only call those living in LV

Attachments

• unlv tuition.png
    unlv tuition.png
    271 KB · Views: 114
Does anybody has the specialization stats they presented on the interview day? Is UNLV good for specialization? I know their match rate is crazy good back in 2013, anybody know if it is still good?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

yeah can someone please give me the total cost after 4 years ( assuming that residency is established after a year)

Last edited:
anybody know if UNLV accept UNE online biochemistry class for pre-requisite?

Last edited:
I received the scholarship, was called first thing in the morning on December 1st, and I don't live in Las Vegas. I am, however, and in-state resident

I received the scholarship, was called first thing in the morning on December 1st, and I don't live in Las Vegas. I am, however, and in-state resident
Congratulations!

Did anyone just receive "Conditional Acceptance Background Check Consent Request" email from Certiphi? UNLV is the only acceptance I got on Dec 1st so pretty sure this one is for them!

Did anyone just receive "Conditional Acceptance Background Check Consent Request" email from Certiphi? UNLV is the only acceptance I got on Dec 1st so pretty sure this one is for them!
Yeah just received ten minutes ago

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry to barge in, but I'm a pre-nursing student at UNLV currently and was originally planning to get my BSN in a couple years then try out for the dental school. I was wondering, what degrees and paths did you take? I am thinking of going the long route and getting Dental Assistant Certificate, working with my Dentist who I have already shadowed for maybe 20+ hours so far, and then working up through associates of dental hygiene, bachelor's of dental hygiene, then apply! I'd be about 24-25ish by then, and I am only 18 about to get my Associates of Science and get into the Nursing School after next semester. Please help as it is a huge dilemma for me! Do I really need all that extra schooling or if I worked hard enough with my dentist I could probably do well on the DAT and get in with my hours, bachelors of nursing degree (around 120 credits), and confidence? The prerequisites really only state a couple years worth of classes that are almost all in the prerequisites for nursing and I'm already at around 50 credits since I did a program at Nevada State High School but I'm afraid to change my major. Sorry for all the questions, been reading through these forums for hours and look up to you guys to help me out. Thank you so much!

Sorry to barge in, but I'm a pre-nursing student at UNLV currently and was originally planning to get my BSN in a couple years then try out for the dental school. I was wondering, what degrees and paths did you take? I am thinking of going the long route and getting Dental Assistant Certificate, working with my Dentist who I have already shadowed for maybe 20+ hours so far, and then working up through associates of dental hygiene, bachelor's of dental hygiene, then apply! I'd be about 24-25ish by then, and I am only 18 about to get my Associates of Science and get into the Nursing School after next semester. Please help as it is a huge dilemma for me! Do I really need all that extra schooling or if I worked hard enough with my dentist I could probably do well on the DAT and get in with my hours, bachelors of nursing degree (around 120 credits), and confidence? The prerequisites really only state a couple years worth of classes that are almost all in the prerequisites for nursing and I'm already at around 50 credits since I did a program at Nevada State High School but I'm afraid to change my major. Sorry for all the questions, been reading through these forums for hours and look up to you guys to help me out. Thank you so much!
Why would you get a Bachelors in nursing if you want to be a dentist? You should just get a biology degree if you want more background for DAT... I also had similar path as you. I received my Associates of Science at 17, Bachelors of Science in Biochem at 19, currently working at a dental office in my gap year and will start UNLV SDM at 20. Feel free to PM me if you need more advice.

Why would you get a Bachelors in nursing if you want to be a dentist? You should just get a biology degree if you want more background for DAT... I also had similar path as you. I received my Associates of Science at 17, Bachelors of Science in Biochem at 19, currently working at a dental office in my gap year and will start UNLV SDM at 20. Feel free to PM me if you need more advice.
Hey! The reason I was doing nursing was because at the time it seemed like the best idea to work towards as the general education at CSN was limited because of the way they choose who is able to enroll first (last name and amount of credits, it sucks but it kinda makes sense), plus my girlfriend wanted to be a nurse for years so I decided to follow her. Now I am a couple classes away from applying to the nursing school and it's a fast track program to get a bachelor's quickly. I haven't thought about changing to Bio major as I don't know if I could really fall back on it like I could with the UNLV's nursing program where I get a job guaranteed. If I weren't to get into the Dental school, I don't trust any other major to be a plan B for me. Do you know if there's a broad difference between Bio major and Nursing prerequisites? Would I be able to get the bachelor's just as quick as the nursing program (16 months)?

Hey! The reason I was doing nursing was because at the time it seemed like the best idea to work towards as the general education at CSN was limited because of the way they choose who is able to enroll first (last name and amount of credits, it sucks but it kinda makes sense), plus my girlfriend wanted to be a nurse for years so I decided to follow her. Now I am a couple classes away from applying to the nursing school and it's a fast track program to get a bachelor's quickly. I haven't thought about changing to Bio major as I don't know if I could really fall back on it like I could with the UNLV's nursing program where I get a job guaranteed. If I weren't to get into the Dental school, I don't trust any other major to be a plan B for me. Do you know if there's a broad difference between Bio major and Nursing prerequisites? Would I be able to get the bachelor's just as quick as the nursing program (16 months)?
The problem I see with pursuing a nursing major is that the dental school ADCOM will question why you pursued nursing if you want to become a dentist. It's similar to applying to medical school before applying to dental school. If you really want to pursue dentistry, getting a Bachelors of Science or Bachelors of Dental Hygiene is better than BSN in my opinion.

The problem I see with pursuing a nursing major is that the dental school ADCOM will question why you pursued nursing if you want to become a dentist. It's similar to applying to medical school before applying to dental school. If you really want to pursue dentistry, getting a Bachelors of Science or Bachelors of Dental Hygiene is better than BSN in my opinion.
I can see that being pretty weird, it's just that what gets me is be a BSN and have a job at around 21 years old or maybe get my own Dental practice at around 31. I will have wasted a few semesters of schooling practically as well. I contacted some people at CSN, the UNLV Dental School, and I'm going to have a meeting with my advisor Wednesday. The only problem is my advisors are nursing advisors so they really can't help me beyond saying stick to nursing or don't.

I can see that being pretty weird, it's just that what gets me is be a BSN and have a job at around 21 years old or maybe get my own Dental practice at around 31. I will have wasted a few semesters of schooling practically as well. I contacted some people at CSN, the UNLV Dental School, and I'm going to have a meeting with my advisor Wednesday. The only problem is my advisors are nursing advisors so they really can't help me beyond saying stick to nursing or don't.
You should meet with UNLV SDM's advisors once again and ask them if they think negatively about obtaining a nursing degree prior to dental school. If they don't see it as a potential problem, go ahead to complete your BSN since it does provide a back up option. Good luck!

Did anybody received the package/ email about acceptance yet? My UNLV portal is also not updated

I received my official acceptance packet in the mail today!

Would you mind telling us what's in the packet? :)
Official acceptance letter, Checklist, Statement of intent, Background check info, Ocular exam, Immunization, Minimum technical standards, and a housing brochure! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Received the packet today. Its gonna be nice taking a break from SDN. Thank you all for posting/sharing. I’ll check back in here again till next year!

I received mine too (OOS)! I was doubting the validity of the "Offer Made" status change until today. :cat:

Opened up my interview slot for Jan 19. Been accepted for other programs.

I called UNLV yesterday. They said early-mid January is when they meet again for round 2 of acceptances so here's a lil bit o hope those who haven't been offered a spot yet.

AADSAS portal status changed to "Invited for Interview", but no email or update in the UNLV portal. This happen to anyone else?

AADSAS portal status changed to "Invited for Interview", but no email or update in the UNLV portal. This happen to anyone else?

Hmmm, maybe contact admissions about it? When I got the invite to interview, I think I got an email and the portal status update around the same time and definitely on the same day.

Posting again; If anyone has questions about UNLV, i'm a D1 here and i'd be happy to answer some things :) love this place

Posting again; If anyone has questions about UNLV, i'm a D1 here and i'd be happy to answer some things :) love this place
why do you love UNLV? i'm so excited for my interview and i think it seems like a great school. i don't have too many specific reasons why though it's just a feeling really and i have seen some snapchat takeovers from unlv students and it seemed great!

why do you love UNLV? i'm so excited for my interview and i think it seems like a great school. i don't have too many specific reasons why though it's just a feeling really and i have seen some snapchat takeovers from unlv students and it seemed great!
The peers and faculty are super friendly and supportive. The curriculum is built so that all classes relate to each other in some way. The upperclassmen work hard to help us succeed. And we live in Vegas! :) Of course we can't fun as much, but it's a beautiful place to live in

Status
Not open for further replies.