The Republic of Texas XXXII: Everything is better in the Lonestar State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm from the valley, and from what i've seen, the community here is excited about the new school. However, i think, amongst the medical community, it will be very low in rank when compared to the other schools here in texas. I guess thats expected of any new school, but the mentality of medical professionals here is very different than many other places. With all that said, i think there will be a lot of growing pains, but I hope it'll turn into a decent school that will not only benefit students, but also the community here.

Woah, do you mean that medical professionals in Texas are less forgiving of new schools or rank-conscious? Am I reading this wrong?

Woah, do you mean that medical professionals in Texas are less forgiving of new schools or rank-conscious? Am I reading this wrong?
No. I just mean that the mentality of the medical professionals down here (the valley) might exacerbate the growing pains of this new medical school. This is my personal opinion, but like I said, I do hope that the school gets passed it for the sake of the community and it's students. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting that sGPA is published as the metric vs. cGPA. Is this indicative of its higher importance/weightage for all TMDSAS schools?
I doubt that was their reasoning considering this is an undergratuate institution, but it wouldn't surprise me if it were weighted more amongst tmdsas schools...this also shows that there is more than just science gpa that plays a role in acceptance. Several of these individuals had very low sGPA

I'm getting more excited daily. I kind of can't wait to start.

Though I know about 3 weeks in I'll be like, "WHY DIDN'T I FULLY ENJOY MY BREAKKKK"

Reactions: 1 users
Strange to think a whole new group of applicants are about to undergo this whole process. It's been agonizingly long at times waiting for every little step but now that it's over it seems like it went by fast.

Reactions: 1 user
Anybody know how to withdraw from a school after being accepted from a higher ranked school? Is it an automatic thing or is there some kind of official withdrawal process?

After match day, it has to be done manually. Just make sure the acceptance to the new school is official before withdrawing from the other one.

Thought I'd post on this and the Baylor thread but does anyone have the Baylor 2013 Match List? I could've sworn I found it posted somewhere on here...

Members don't see this ad :)
Thought I'd post on this and the Baylor thread but does anyone have the Baylor 2013 Match List? I could've sworn I found it posted somewhere on here...
For that matter, does anyone have the 2014 match lists for the other TMDSAS schools?

I'm applying next yr but first I'm getting a masters in Kinesiology. How does tmdsas calculate gpas? Are both undergrad and grad combined or what?

I'm applying next yr but first I'm getting a masters in Kinesiology. How does tmdsas calculate gpas? Are both undergrad and grad combined or what?
http://www.utsystem.edu/tmdsas/frwqAskedQ/03-AppProcessing.html

"TMDSAS calculates multiple GPA's for an applicant - overall GPA, overall BCPM GPA, overall undergraduate GPA,undergraduate BCPM GPA, undergraduate non-BCPM GPA, overall graduate GPA, graduate BCPM GPA and graduate non-BCPM GPA.

The undergraduate BCPM GPA includes all undergraduate level biology, chemistry, physics and math course work. Included in the BCPM GPA are courses which satisfy the prerequisite course work (excluding English)."

http://www.utsystem.edu/tmdsas/frwqAskedQ/03-AppProcessing.html

"TMDSAS calculates multiple GPA's for an applicant - overall GPA, overall BCPM GPA, overall undergraduate GPA,undergraduate BCPM GPA, undergraduate non-BCPM GPA, overall graduate GPA, graduate BCPM GPA and graduate non-BCPM GPA.

The undergraduate BCPM GPA includes all undergraduate level biology, chemistry, physics and math course work. Included in the BCPM GPA are courses which satisfy the prerequisite course work (excluding English)."
Thank you. My first choice in Texas is TCOM. I have lots of retakes on my app.

Guys,

I received an email from a med school indicating that May 15th was the date for the waitlist deadline for those with an offer at more than 1 school. Historically, wasn't this date June the 1st? Has it changed?

Guys,

I received an email from a med school indicating that May 15th was the date for the waitlist deadline for those with an offer at more than 1 school. Historically, wasn't this date June the 1st? Has it changed?

I could also use some information about what the timeline looks like at this point. If anyone could shed some light on that, it would be much appreciated!

May 15 is the nation-wide deadline for holding more than one acceptance. You must withdraw from all but one school if you have more than one acceptance. After May 15th is when a lot of the waitlist movement happens because so many people that had multiple acceptances just withdrew. June 1 is a Texas deadline, in which no Texas school can offer an acceptance to a student that already has an acceptance to another Texas school after that date.

Last edited:
I could also use some information about what the timeline looks like at this point. If anyone could shed some light on that, it would be much appreciated!

Here's the exact wording from TMDSAS:
"Applicants may hold offers from one of the TMDSAS medical schools as well as other non-TMDSAS schools such as Baylor College of Medicine. By May 15 of the matriculation year (April 15 for schools whose first day of class is on or before July 30), each applicant who has received an offer of acceptance from more than one school must choose the specific school at which the applicant prefers to enroll and withdraw his or her application from all other schools from which acceptance offers have been received.

After June 1, no medical school in Texas may offer a position to an applicant already accepted by another medical school in Texas. This is the result of an agreement between the four UT System Medical schools, Baylor College of Medicine, Texas A&M Health Science Center College of Medicine, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine, and University of North Texas Health Science Center at Fort Worth College of Osteopathic Medicine."

June 1st is this weekend, and I'm curious where my fellow Texans decided to attend. It was one of the most difficult decisions I've ever made...we have so many great schools here in the Lone Star state!

FSOG = UTSW

220px-Texas_Tech_Red_Raiders_Logo.svg.png

Reactions: 1 user
I have had to defer. I think someone has already been shifted into my seat. It's TTUHSC-Lubbock Class of 2019 for me.

There might be a few seats shifting late June, but other than that...sorry bud

There might be a few seats shifting late June, but other than that...sorry bud
I thought all in state residents' positions were finalized on June 1st, and the only movement for TX publics after 6/1 was for OOS applicants who have been called off the waitlist. Is this not true?

I thought all in state residents' positions were finalized on June 1st, and the only movement for TX publics after 6/1 was for OOS applicants who have been called off the waitlist. Is this not true?

In state applicants who did not already have an acceptance to a Texas school can also get off the waitlist after June 1st.

As a Texas Resident, what are my chances of staying in state and not having to go DO out of state.

SGPA: 3.5 GPA 3.65 MCAT 27 (8 PS, 10 V, 9 BS)

800+ hrs of volunteering
219 Shadowing hrs
1 1/2 (574 hrs) of Research
half hispanic/ half middle eastern (I don't know if I qualify for URM)
employed sporadically through undergrad