The Republic of Texas XXXVII: Get up. Look up. Show up. Never Give up.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
did you submit your app early?

Submitted July 9th, transmitted July 27th. Submitted most secondaries by August 10th. The last secondary was submitted August 24th.

Members don't see this ad.

I didn’t have any interview practice. I felt like they went well, especially at Long and UTRGV, but I guess there’s some personal bias.

As for the MCAT, I’d rather not take it again after recently selling off my materials. My 3 AAMC FL practice scores were 510, 506, and 509.

For non-clinical volunteering the only thing I can think of doing consistently is a food bank, since those are usually open to everyone and have no requirements. I did hospital volunteering, but I think I’m pretty set on clinical stuff.
yeah do not retake mcat... do volunteering in under served communities if possible, aside from food banks like a free homeless clinic, etc...

Reactions: 1 user
yeah do not retake mcat... do volunteering in under served communities if possible, aside from food banks like a free homeless clinic, etc...

I’ll look up some stuff around town. I want to get into this ASAP. Food banks and homeless shelters are probably the best.

Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted July 9th, transmitted July 27th. Submitted most secondaries by August 10th. The last secondary was submitted August 24th.
Forgot to mention about secondaries also have them done asap in May

Forgot to mention about secondaries also have them done asap in May

So I know TMDSAS opens on May 1, but do people actually submit it that same day? Or does it open prior to May 1 so people can start filling it out and submit on May 1? I know for AMCAS that it opens one month in advance of the actual submission date so individuals can start filling it out in advance. I submitted to Texas later in the season this past cycle, so I'm not familiar with what takes place at the start of the cycle.

So I know TMDSAS opens on May 1, but do people actually submit it that same day? Or does it open prior to May 1 so people can start filling it out and submit on May 1? I know for AMCAS that it opens one month in advance of the actual submission date so individuals can start filling it out in advance. I submitted to Texas later in the season this past cycle, so I'm not familiar with what takes place at the start of the cycle.
Some people actually submit that day. People tend to prewrite their personal statements and sometimes even secondaries if it's noticed they haven't changed in years.

Reactions: 1 users
It opens up on May 1 so you can see all the parts of it and start filling in the blanks. You can do this directly on the form and save your work on each page, etc. There is a section for reapplicants so pay close attention to that section as you will need to fill it out.
You can't submit it prior to May 1. The earliest of early birds turn it in on June 1. It takes about 4 weeks for TMDSAS to verify all your information and send it to the schools. You will need to re-send your transcripts. You will need to re-send letters of recommendation, but don't do that until you have filled out the [recommenders] section on the app, and you might want different letters? You should rewrite your essays.
EDIT TO CORRECT: TMDSAS app for next season will open May 1 and you may submit it when ready. Double and triple check it though, because there are very few parts that can be changed or corrected after submitting.

Last edited:
Some people actually submit that day. People tend to prewrite their personal statements and sometimes even secondaries if it's noticed they haven't changed in years.
Help me out here, Texas peeps. Did any of you actually submit your app before June 1? I had it in my mind that June 1 was the first day you could submit it, but searching the TMDSAS application instructions and FAQS I don't see that stated anywhere.

Help me out here, Texas peeps. Did any of you actually submit your app before June 1? I had it in my mind that June 1 was the first day you could submit it, but searching the TMDSAS application instructions and FAQS I don't see that stated anywhere.

I would've but I had to wait until my school released spring semester grades. I had eveything else done. My friends who graduated in fall submited mid may. I know just one person who submitted on the opening day but they were a reapplicant so they knew the ins and outs of the process (plus they could just transfer their activities from their last app and just add their new ones)

I would've but I had to wait until my school released spring semester grades. I had eveything else done. My friends who graduated in fall submited mid may. I know just one person who submitted on the opening day but they were a reapplicant so they knew the ins and outs of the process (plus they could just transfer their activities from their last app and just add their new ones)
thanks!

It opens up on May 1 so you can see all the parts of it and start filling in the blanks. You can do this directly on the form and save your work on each page, etc. There is a section for reapplicants so pay close attention to that section as you will need to fill it out.
You can't submit it prior to May 1. The earliest of early birds turn it in on June 1. It takes about 4 weeks for TMDSAS to verify all your information and send it to the schools. You will need to re-send your transcripts. You will need to re-send letters of recommendation, but don't do that until you have filled out the [recommenders] section on the app, and you might want different letters? You should rewrite your essays.

Also, usually the earlier you submit (closer to May 1st), the quicker TMDSAS tends to process and transmit your app. I submitted mine in mid-May and it only took about five days for my app to get transmitted, as less students are complete up to that point. I know in the middle of the summer it can take a few weeks after you submit to get everything sent to the schools (due to volume), which has the potential to hurt some applicants.

I also plan to reapply (4II and 4WL)

3.85 gpa (both) 510-512 mcat
Clinical volunteering~ 200+
Non clinical~ 200+
Shadowing~100+
Research~400+
I also submitted in mid/late may
ORM IS

Really don’t know what to do other than get new letters, and rewrite stuff. Anything else I can do to be more competitive? Also thought my interviews went alright

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I also plan to reapply (4II and 4WL)

3.85 gpa (both) 510-512 mcat
Clinical volunteering~ 200+
Non clinical~ 200+
Shadowing~100+
Research~400+
I also submitted in mid/late may
ORM IS

Really don’t know what to do other than get new letters, and rewrite stuff. Anything else I can do to be more competitive? Also thought my interviews went alright

U could still get off those waitlists, given that u have 4 I think it’s pretty likely you will. That said, in the interest of being proactive, I think keep up the clinical experiences and prep better for your interviews next time around / get some feedback from people other than yourself.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I submitted by the end of the first week May 5-6th for the last 3 years

Reactions: 3 users

Early on in this thread I linked to statistics. About 1/5th of apps send in during month of May

I submitted May 14th, bc thats when my spring grades came out. Though my app was complete May 1st with scores and letters and essays by like May 5th

Thanks for the great info! When you say different letters, do you mean different letter writers, or different letters from the same writers? I'm planning to get letters from different physicians, but I'm planning to use the same professors from college for at least 2 of my letters. Do I need to tell them to write something different? I'm not sure how much they could update their letters other than mentioning what activities I've been doing this past year, but that doesn't seem super important since schools will be able to see that info on my primary app. Thoughts?

Thanks for the great info! When you say different letters, do you mean different letter writers, or different letters from the same writers? I'm planning to get letters from different physicians, but I'm planning to use the same professors from college for at least 2 of my letters. Do I need to tell them to write something different? I'm not sure how much they could update their letters other than mentioning what activities I've been doing this past year, but that doesn't seem super important since schools will be able to see that info on my primary app. Thoughts?
It's hard to know since you don't get to see what your recommenders wrote. You will still need them to re-send to TMDSAS at least, with a fresh date. Ideally the letters would not be just a re-listing of your activities anyhow, but a commentary on you, how they know you, and your personal qualities compatible with a medical career.

It's hard to know since you don't get to see what your recommenders wrote. You will still need them to re-send to TMDSAS at least, with a fresh date. Ideally the letters would not be just a re-listing of your activities anyhow, but a commentary on you, how they know you, and your personal qualities compatible with a medical career.

Thankfully I had two separate interviewers divulge to me that all of my letters were complimentary, so hopefully I won't have to worry much about content, but I will certainly have them submit letters with updated dates and possibly updated info if they feel inspired to include anything else, haha. Thanks!

Admission offices of some medical schools are willing to do a email/in-person file review of your application. They can help you locate your weaknesses that they saw when looking at your application. Reach out to the schools you interviewed at to see if they offer this opportunity. It should shed some light on what you need to work on during your gap year so you're not reapplying with a blind fold on.

take-off-his-hat-very-hot-summer-day-at-farm_r04dh6fgtb_thumbnail-small05.jpg

Now that was a rough week, y'all. I'm worn out and I was just a spectator, while all y'all were down there in the rodeo arena in the middle of the action.
Thanks to all who shared their news this week, here or on the school-specific threads.
Some with a pre-match matched to it, and some who had previously announced pre-matches ended up matching at another school entirely.
18 SDN Texas regulars were brave enough to say they didn't match. You may still get a WL offer in the next 5 months.
100 SDN Texas regulars announced some kind of match day news. What about the rest of ya? Sing it out :singing: !
Share your match news if you haven't so far, we all like to see what's up.

Here's the action I saw overall, (in addition to Match announcements):
-TCOM, Foster, Texas A&M, McGovern, and Dell have sent out some emails telling folks they are now on a WL.
-Baylor, true to history, sent out a round of rejections starting Feb 4. These are mostly rejections of folks who never got an interview, which makes sense because their last interview day has passed now.
-Texas A&M sent out a few rejections, as in "you're not gonna make our WL even". Ouch.
-Lots of you want to be on UTSW WL but they haven't sent out notifications yet.
-The only Texas school still interviewing and sending IIs is TCU and UNTHSC School of Medicine, an AMCAS school. They will interview through April then pick their inaugural class. The application deadline for secondaries was Jan 15th.

Hang in there everyone and be kind to each other.
Wysdoc

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
View attachment 250072

Now that was a rough week, y'all. I'm worn out and I was just a spectator, while all y'all were down there in the rodeo arena in the middle of the action.
Thanks to all who shared their news this week, here or on the school-specific threads.
Some with a pre-match matched to it, and some who had previously announced pre-matches ended up matching at another school entirely.
18 SDN Texas regulars were brave enough to say they didn't match. You may still get a WL offer in the next 5 months.
100 SDN Texas regulars announced some kind of match day news. What about the rest of ya? Sing it out :singing: !
Share your match news if you haven't so far, we all like to see what's up.

Here's the action I saw overall, (in addition to Match announcements):
-TCOM, Foster, Texas A&M, McGovern, and Dell have sent out some emails telling folks they are now on a WL.
-Baylor, true to history, sent out a round of rejections starting Feb 4. These are mostly rejections of folks who never got an interview, which makes sense because their last interview day has passed now.
-Texas A&M sent out a few rejections, as in "you're not gonna make our WL even". Ouch.
-Lots of you want to be on UTSW WL but they haven't sent out notifications yet.
-The only Texas school still interviewing and sending IIs is TCU and UNTHSC School of Medicine, an AMCAS school. They will interview through April then pick their inaugural class. The application deadline for secondaries was Jan 15th.

Hang in there everyone and be kind to each other.
Wysdoc

Love reading your posts! Also, Long sent out waitlist emails last Friday. Everyone who interviewed, but didn’t match was placed into their waitlist pool.

Pre-matched UTSW on Nov 15. Officially matched Feb 1
It's finally hitting me how much cheaper the TX schools are compared to OOS. Getting increasingly excited!

Reactions: 8 users
Matched to TCOM Feb 1st!! Super grateful(Thank God!) but at the same time remaining hopeful for waitlist movement from my higher ranked schools.
A few AMCAS/OOS interviews left as well.

When people ask me about this process I don't even have the energy to explain it anymore half the time bc it is STILL not over lol Congratulations to all of you that matched! I will be praying for heavy waitlist movement for those who didn't as well as FAVOR for the next cycle for those that may have to reapply. SDN can be kind of overwhelming sometimes because some people truly are rockstar applicants but for this cycle everyone was so nice and helpful and I appreciate that!!

Reactions: 8 users
Hey there!

Not much will be going on, I predict, for the next 2-3 weeks. Work on your tans, biceps, and wardrobes for spring break.
Activity since my last post:
-Long has sent out some emails notifying folks they are on a WL
-Texas Tech just started their WL emails today
-TCU/UNTHSC said they are a little past the halfway mark with their Interview Invites. Last interview day is April 8. They have given out a couple of acceptances, a couple of WL (on hold) notices, and a couple of rejections. Expect them to be conservative with the offers of admission until they have interviewed everyone.
- UTMB is sending out WL emails starting 2/13.
Still waiting to hear on WL offers from UTRGV and UTSW.

Share your news if you have it!

Last edited:
If we know a physician that is friends with the admissions dean at a school we are waitlisted at, and they are willing to send an email to them on our behalf, would it be wise to take up that offer? Or could it look bad and ruin our chances?
Your time to send letters is past. It will not help you to do this at this point . If you think your F.O.A.F. will be offended that you did not take him up on his offer, tell him that the schools are not adding any more letters to the files now that the submission process is complete. This happens to be true, and will also save you the possible deleterious effect of heavy-handed attempts at influencing the admissions director.

The school in question replied to an email of mine after Match Day that they are open to updates, including additional letters. Also, I personally know this physician, but recently found out they know the dean very well. I’m afraid it’s going to make me look desperate and leave a bad taste, so that’s why I haven’t taken up their offer yet.
so others might also know, which school is still open to new letters?

so others might also know, which school is still open to new letters?

Not sure if he is talking about the same school, but TAMU mentioned in their alternate list email that you can submit a 1-page summary of updates since your application, an additional letter of recommendation, or transcripts from Summer/Fall 2018.

Anyone have any guesses on if/how the new traffic rules will affect Texas waitlists, with considering the date was moved to May 15th from June 1st? From my understanding, it seems like there will be less movement in general this year.

Anyone have any guesses on if/how the new traffic rules will affect Texas waitlists, with considering the date was moved to May 15th from June 1st? From my understanding, it seems like there will be less movement in general this year.
Why do you think that will cause less movement?

Why do you think that will cause less movement?
Since it is the first year it is being implemented mainly. This is just a complete guess though, that's why I was curious what other peoples opinions on it were.

Since it is the first year it is being implemented mainly. This is just a complete guess though, that's why I was curious what other peoples opinions on it were.
I think the movement will be the same, but timed differently

What is changing to May 15?

26113745_765488176974354_6635171421934156447_n.jpg

Wait List Texas style: we have a date change this year:

"After 5:00 pm CT on May 15, no medical school in Texas may offer a position to an applicant already accepted by another medical school in Texas. This is the result of an agreement between the four UT System Medical schools, Baylor College of Medicine, Texas A&M University College of Medicine, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine, and University of North Texas Health Science Center at Fort Worth College of Osteopathic Medicine."

In previous years this date had been June 1. So what can happen after May 15?
-Applicants with all Texas WLs but no acceptances still have a chance to get in from their WL.
-Applicants with any Texas acceptances will drop off any Texas WLs they used to be on, and will know that their match is their school.
-Why would spots open up at Texas schools at this point? An accepted student might get in to an OOS school they prefer, or might withdraw for some reason, creating an unfilled spot.

This unique collaboration of Texas schools lets them all get on the same timeline. UIWSOM (AACOMAS) and TCU/UNTHSC (AMCAS) are not part of this agreement presently, but might be in future application years.

Y'all, I was waiting on confirmation from someone at TMDSAS before I posted this update.
What will it do? I can't predict the future, but there will mathematically be 2 fewer weeks for Texas applicants to play musical chairs with their acceptances. All y'all should be down to one TMDSAS school plus possibly Baylor or an OOS school or DO school by now anyhow. If offered a spot from a WL, make your mind up quick. If you want to take it, say yes and let your former school down nice and easy. You do not HAVE to switch schools if offered a spot from a WL, you might be happy where you are, and you can politely decline the WL offer.

Reactions: 10 users
Just a quick shoutout to the people who took themselves off WL/gave up acceptances in favor of other ones. You guys allowed for WL movement to already happen this early. Y’all da real MVP.

Reactions: 6 users
Howdy y'all
Enjoy your weekend and keep up a good thought.
I am going to start what I call the "Texas Roundup" reports pretty soon.
If you want to see what these are like, take a peek at last year's general Texas support thread here,The Republic of Texas XXXVI: You may all go to hell, and I will go to a Texas medical school with the roundup reports starting at about page 10. Don't post over there, we will start the roundup reports here.

My general format will be: Date/ school/ offer from WL/IS or OOS

If I get news of what spot a person gave up to take a WL offer, I will post that too, in anonymous format.
PM me any news if you'd rather.
51330692_10156200113778233_9069944006766493696_n.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
Howdy y'all
Enjoy your weekend and keep up a good thought.
I am going to start what I call the "Texas Roundup" reports pretty soon.
If you want to see what these are like, take a peek at last year's general Texas support thread here,The Republic of Texas XXXVI: You may all go to hell, and I will go to a Texas medical school with the roundup reports starting at about page 10. Don't post over there, we will start the roundup reports here.

My general format will be: Date/ school/ offer from WL/IS or OOS

If I get news of what spot a person gave up to take a WL offer, I will post that too, in anonymous format.
PM me any news if you'd rather.
View attachment 251839

Do you have any theories as to the “surge” in WL movement this early? I know the May 15th thing could be throwing it off but a difference of only ~17 days jumped the schedule up by 2 months seems surprising. Theoretically speaking all TMDSAS seats should be filled at this point, so to think “that many” applicants are going out of state seems really significant as well. Just putting on my weekend tin foil hat.

Do you have any theories as to the “surge” in WL movement this early? I know the May 15th thing could be throwing it off but a difference of only ~17 days jumped the schedule up by 2 months seems surprising. Theoretically speaking all TMDSAS seats should be filled at this point, so to think “that many” applicants are going out of state seems really significant as well. Just putting on my weekend tin foil hat.
I don’t think there has been much of a surge yet, but with the date moved from June 1 to May 15 we should see action a little sooner than last year.

Man is it just me, or does the Spring semester fly by A LOT faster than the Fall? Makes the whole waiting process a little bit easier when the weeks go by fast. Hope all my fellow Texas are doing well with classes!

Hey yall what do you guys think about retaking a 511 mcat? Currently contemplating it for a more successful cycle next time around (I am not gonna count on WLs).

Hey yall what do you guys think about retaking a 511 mcat? Currently contemplating it for a more successful cycle next time around (I am not gonna count on WLs).
MCAT is probably not the reason you didn't get in. Though a higher score never hurts. It's gotta be like 517+ though. I would probably try to improve other aspects of app

Status
Not open for further replies.