This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
200.gif
Look at him dancing!! :love:

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anything that crawls into my bed and bites me without permission deserves to die. That's the rules. Doesn't matter what species.

I'm ok with really big spiders, pet spiders, cute spiders, playing spiders...

But anything that crawls into my bed and tries to bite me without my permission deserves to die.

She's very adamant about this, guys

Reactions: 1 users
Why. Why is this thread back.

Reactions: 3 users
This was my salmon pink bird-water, Webster. He didn't survive his 4th molt, otherwise he'd probably be at a diameter of 7 or 8 inches today :,(

Attachments

• IMG_0270.PNG
    IMG_0270.PNG
    437.6 KB · Views: 100
Reactions: 4 users
Also here's a member of the local genera in CA from a vert bio trip to Mojave!

Attachments

• IMG_0271.PNG
    IMG_0271.PNG
    350.7 KB · Views: 91
Members don't see this ad :)
Why didn't I know about this thread sooner ?! You have all made a mistake by bringing this back while I'm on. Here's Albert, the red-backed jumping spider (P. johnsoni) who lived in my bathroom until one day I took a long hot shower and the steam killed him, RIP Albert.

Attachments

• IMG_0272.jpg
    IMG_0272.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 88
Reactions: 5 users
Not YET, it's in my plans before vet school along with other non-insect Arthropods and insects since I'm a bug nerd

Por que, Simba. Por que?
Why? WHY?! Because they're amazing get out of my face with that ignorance, egg. Here's an old photo of my young collection, missing some of its coolest additions but still:

Attachments

• IMG_0273.jpg
    IMG_0273.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 82
Why? WHY?! Because they're amazing get out of my face with that ignorance, egg. Here's an old photo of my young collection, missing some of its coolest additions but still:

Your collections way prettier than mine from entomology was, lol. I didn't have all those pretty moths/butterflies! I'll snag the pic whenever I get home.

Also, RIP Albert

Not YET, it's in my plans before vet school along with other non-insect Arthropods and insects since I'm a bug nerd
It's official everybody, Sinbad has just moved up on my list. I may even give you a free pass where I won't make flat butt jokes about you for, like, three whole days (or something of equal or lesser value).

Your collections way prettier than mine from entomology was, lol. I didn't have all those pretty moths/butterflies! I'll snag the pic whenever I get home.

Also, RIP Albert
I took it just for fun during my last semester and I ended up loving it! If I didn't get into vet school this year I would've been an entomologist lol. I climbed trees and ran around campus with my butterfly net shamelessly.

My prized possessions are definitely my tarantula hawk and this hawk moth

Attachments

• IMG_0276.jpg
    IMG_0276.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0277.jpg
    IMG_0277.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 73
It's official everybody, Sinbad has just moved up on my list. I may even give you a free pass where I won't make flat butt jokes about you for, like, three whole days (or something of equal or lesser value).
Best day ever

I've done cool herp stuff too! Back when I worked in the herp lab on campus we'd turn specimens into "teaching skeletons" on our spare time. This gaboon viper had a partially digested rabbit (???) or something in it and when I got to it the entire third floor of that building was not happy with me

Attachments

• IMG_0278.jpg
    IMG_0278.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 78
Hawk moth is gooorrggeeeoouuus.

I worked in a butterfly exhibit for years and always considered learning how to pin but just never got around to it. Missed opportunity.

Hawk moth is gooorrggeeeoouuus.

I worked in a butterfly exhibit for years and always considered learning how to pin but just never got around to it. Missed opportunity.
It's frustrating lol, I destroyed so many wings and scales in the process

I took it just for fun during my last semester and I ended up loving it! If I didn't get into vet school this year I would've been an entomologist lol. I climbed trees and ran around campus with my butterfly net shamelessly.

I've done cool herp stuff too! Back when I worked in the herp lab on campus we'd turn specimens into "teaching skeletons" on our spare time. This gaboon viper had a partially digested rabbit (???) or something in it and when I got to it the entire third floor of that building was not happy with me
Well scratch whatever nice thing I said I would give you and multiply it by a million, because you like tarantula hawks AND herpetology. You've earned like a billion brownie points today.

Took it for fun/elective as a soph. most people in that class were horticulture majors for whom it was required, when the prof found out I was in animal science he was like "then what are you doing here?"
It was super fun! I never used my net, but had to start taking my jar everywhere because there were times id find an awesome beetle and have to shove it in a backpack pouch and hope no one heard it crawling around in there, lmao. At the end of the course prof told me to let him know if I wanted a student job in the entomology dept...wish I would've taken him up on the offer, but I was already working on campus in the dairy sci dept and thought it would complicate things to switch. :(

Reactions: 1 user
We should make this into the spider/creepy-crawly/general arthropod thread, haha

Took it for fun/elective as a soph. most people in that class were horticulture majors for whom it was required, when the prof found out I was in animal science he was like "then what are you doing here?"
It was super fun! I never used my net, but had to start taking my jar everywhere because there were times id find an awesome beetle and have to shove it in a backpack pouch and hope no one heard it crawling around in there, lmao. At the end of the course prof told me to let him know if I wanted a student job in the entomology dept...wish I would've taken him up on the offer, but I was already working on campus in the dairy sci dept and thought it would complicate things to switch. :(

Most in my class we're pre-dental or pre-pharm fulfilling their field biology requirements and were wimps about bugs in the beginning lol. Our professor was so amazing though that by mid-semester everyone was competitive about catching stuff! And that sounds like it would've been awesome! I loved going to the lab on my spare time and ID'ing/classifying things I had caught, it was so peaceful and rewarding.

Now that you mention the backpack thing....STORY TIME:

So after class had been over for a while me and my gf at the time were helping a friend out with their portfolio by doing a faux engagement shoot up in some hills. There were a bunch of tarantula hawks around and I hadn't caught one during class soooo I used a plastic bag to catch one and shoved it in my backpack. I told my gf all about how it's sting is one of the most painful, only less painful than a bullet ant, they paralyze spiders and lay their eggs in them etc. so I slept over and we could hear it buzzing in my bag all night but it stopped eventually. So the next day she gave me a small empty juice bottle to stick him in and put it in the freezer while she worked on her thesis. So I go into her room and open my bag..AND IT HAD CHEWED THROUGH THE BAG AND JUMPS OUT AND ONTO THE FLOOR. I didn't want to squish it so I'm frantically trying to scoop him up into the bottle while he walks around buzzing, his wings slowly starting to regain function...so then it crawls up her printer and I shake him out, I close the door cause if he starts flying in her apt I'm DEAD. So then he crawls UNDER the door and into her roommates room where she's sitting on the floor bedazzling some **** and just as she looks up I scoop it up l, sweat running down my brow, and she's like "Oh that's that crazy wasp that stings real bad that Kaitlyn was talking about huh?? How cool!"

And that's how I almost got kicked out of my ex-gf's apartment but she never found out lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Most in my class we're pre-dental or pre-pharm fulfilling their field biology requirements and were wimps about bugs in the beginning lol. Our professor was so amazing though that by mid-semester everyone was competitive about catching stuff! And that sounds like it would've been awesome! I loved going to the lab on my spare time and ID'ing/classifying things I had caught, it was so peaceful and rewarding.

Now that you mention the backpack thing....STORY TIME:

So after class had been over for a while me and my gf at the time were helping a friend out with their portfolio by doing a faux engagement shoot up in some hills. There were a bunch of tarantula hawks around and I hadn't caught one during class soooo I used a plastic bag to catch one and shoved it in my backpack. I told my gf all about how it's sting is one of the most painful, only less painful than a bullet ant, they paralyze spiders and lay their eggs in them etc. so I slept over and we could hear it buzzing in my bag all night but it stopped eventually. So the next day she gave me a small empty juice bottle to stick him in and put it in the freezer while she worked on her thesis. So I go into her room and open my bag..AND IT HAD CHEWED THROUGH THE BAG AND JUMPS OUT AND ONTO THE FLOOR. I didn't want to squish it so I'm frantically trying to scoop him up into the bottle while he walks around buzzing, his wings slowly starting to regain function...so then it crawls up her printer and I shake him out, I close the door cause if he starts flying in her apt I'm DEAD. So then he crawls UNDER the door and into her roommates room where she's sitting on the floor bedazzling some **** and just as she looks up I scoop it up l, sweat running down my brown, and she's like "Oh that's that crazy wasp that stings real bad that Kaitlyn was talking about huh?? How cool!"

And that's how I almost got kicked out of my ex-gf's apartment but she never found out lol.
This is amazing. We used to have tarantula hawks everywhere in AZ and I've definitely seen some godzilla style death fights between them and the local tarantulas. I probably would have disowned you if you let one of those things out in my house though.

Now I feel okay to unload a bunch of entomology pictures!

Beaver Flea
Polyphemus Moth
Polyphemus Moth's Cute Little Fluffy Face
Periodical Cicada
Eastern Hercules Beetle

13051567_10107402660800335_1975263905750309120_n.jpg 13567327_10107737362690065_6684191281650687511_n.jpg 13606929_10107737364930575_6977348566767390974_n.jpg 14572409_10108234282029725_2996613637995838271_n.jpg 14681805_10108259388850455_7365508362982603305_n.jpg

While we're dropping awesomeness in this thread, here's a cricket dissection. You can see the proventriculus pretty clearly, and it serves the same purpose as the crop in chickens.

Attachments

• IMG_0275.jpg
    IMG_0275.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 79
Gaboon's are SOOOOOOOO pretty! And that skeleton is really neat. I'm super sad I never saw a pic of you in that "other" thread now because I think you should marry me. :D

I am grey scale don't listen to Finn