The Tablet PC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JumptheMoon

UPenn Class of 2011
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone else as smitten with these as I am???

Went to the Illinois interview/info sessions, and though I am not going there, I am seriously considering getting myself one of those puppies! Even though I won't be in a program that specifically recommends them like UIUC, I'm thinking that anywhere you get powerpoints presentations ahead of time, it would be FANTASTIC to just write right on those histology slides!:love:

Members don't see this ad.

Is anyone else as smitten with these as I am???

Went to the Illinois interview/info sessions, and though I am not going there, I am seriously considering getting myself one of those puppies! Even though I won't be in a program that specifically recommends them like UIUC, I'm thinking that anywhere you get powerpoints presentations ahead of time, it would be FANTASTIC to just write right on those histology slides!:love:

Unless you're actually going to use it ALL the time, I really would not recommend a tablet PC. They are clunky, expensive, and annoying to use after a while. Not to mention that they run on Windows, so just wait until it crashes and you lose all your notes. If you're not going to a school that recommends the tablet PC, it means that they may not give you the stuff you need in digital form, and again it's a waste of money. I would contact students at the particular school you're going to about this -

I'm a traditional learner. Give me paper and a pencil and I'm fine. I have trouble studying stuff I see on a computer screen. Plus, like cyrille mentioned, those tablet PCs seem just a bit too cumbersome for me. I'm a little person so when I bought my laptop, size definitely mattered. My 12' iBook is my best inanimate friend.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is the first year K-State requiring labtops. We have two options: Gateway Tablet or Dell Latitude. I have a Dell currently, and its great. I think the idea of having a tablet is exciting however both computers come with wireless internet and if I have the tablet, I see myself getting in trouble checking my email or SDN. So I think I am going with the Dell.

Does anyone know which is better? or is it really just preference?

I'm a little person so when I bought my laptop, size definitely mattered.
I was right with you until you said this:
My 12' iBook
At 5 pounds or more, your 12" iBook is actually heavier than the tablet Davis uses, which I think is the same model that Illinois and Minnesota recommend (4.5-pound Toshiba).

When I say size matters to me in a laptop, I mean if it weighs more than 3 pounds I don't want to lug it around...

Unless you're actually going to use it ALL the time, I really would not recommend a tablet PC. They are clunky, expensive, and annoying to use after a while. Not to mention that they run on Windows, so just wait until it crashes and you lose all your notes. If you're not going to a school that recommends the tablet PC, it means that they may not give you the stuff you need in digital form, and again it's a waste of money. I would contact students at the particular school you're going to about this -

I'm actually talking about the ones that you can use just like a regular laptop - the only difference is that you can then twist the screen around and fold it back down to be used as a tablet. So it's not as though you have to use the tablet functions and stylus for everything - there's a keyboard and mouse, so you only have to use it as a tablet when you want to. And I'll give you expensive for sure, but I don't think they're all clunky. I stayed with a student at UIUC who had a really nice, small, sleek one.

You're right about Windows...speaking of which, has anyone tried Vista yet? And good idea about talking to current students - although I did get the impression that most lecture powerpoints are distributed ahead of time at the two schools I'm considering. Then you just re-save it as a notebook document and...voila! Write all over it.

not really applicable for the schools that recommend certain models...but a friend of mine has an extremely nice laptop with the tablet technology (but it's not technically a tablet pc). It's extremely light and small...albeit a little pricey. I'll try to talk to him about what it is if anyone is interested.

JumptheMoon...I tried Vista for the first time today. It was pretty nice, but I've heard there are some major problems with it. And the new officer package (2007)...word and powerpoint are fairly easy to use (once you figure out how to print a dang paper!), but the new excel really took me some time to figure out for the more advanced features.

UNot to mention that they run on Windows, so just wait until it crashes and you lose all your notes. -

<goes off topic and sicks her dog on all the mac users>
Macs are for stinkers! This guy says it best:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/story/0,,2006031,00.html "The only way to have fun with a Mac is to poke its insufferable owner in the eye."

Oh yeah, my favorite computers are the IBM thinkpads (now sold by lenovo). Ive had the one Im on for 4 years and its still fast as lightning and their customer service is great (I got crumbs in my keyboard and they sent me a new one for free, no questions asked). but theyre pc's if youre one of THEM.

I think tablet PCs have a lot of potential down the line. I was actually thinking the other day that theyd be great for a doctor in small animal veterinary practice to use. But yeah, theyre not so great right now, and I think they drain battery pretty well too from what Ive heard. Maybe itd be good if it fits your learning style though and you can find a place to plug it in sometimes.

Oh yeah and I've heard nothing but bad reviews of vista. The few people I know who've tried it have switched back.

I am going to UIC and they made a big deal of the tablet PCs, they had something like 87 of the freshman class having one. Since I'm a tech geek, I ordered mine from Lenovo/IBM. They seem to have gotten the best reviews although they are more expensive than Gateway and Toshiba. I am still waiting on it to be shipped, it's been 2 weeks since I've ordered. I guess they have a huge backlog of orders. I am excited about getting one, it doubles as a laptop and is like 3 1/2 lbs. So even if I don't like the tablet feature, I still have a light laptop. Of course, I already have a Dell laptop but the tablet seems so cool! I wouldn't recommend the Gateway unless you can handle a 7 lb tablet. They are cheaper but way heavier but their screens are bigger.

I just bought a new laptop a few weeks ago (HP Pavillion dv6244us) and I LOOOVE it. It is about 6 lbs but, for me, it really isn't that heavy (beside that, the smaller they get the more the price goes up). I haven't ever used a tablet so I really can't say anything about how they compare but I would never use a mac (not to mention that many schools particularly say which OS is required).

I'm also running on Windows Vista which I think is awesome! I have already had one blue screen error, but I expected that when I chose this OS. In about 6mo. the first two system packs are expected to be out and the system should run much smoother. Aside from Vista, I also love the new Office 2007. It is so user friendly (kind of like a mac but more understandable for PC users). Anyway, I would say to do your research and find the computer that works for you.

i've been using a convertable tablet/laptop (acer travemate c100) for about 4 years now and i dearly love it. weighs about 3 pounds, very portable. basically i found that it's really really handy for writing on notes (powerpoint slides), plus i like to draw... it's not particularly convenient to write a paper on it in tablet mode but if you have onenote it's pretty cool for taking notes. i pretty much type everything else. now that it's starting to wear out i'm thinking about getting another one. definately a tablet convertable again.:thumbup:

oh and for those of you complaining about windows, i run linux on it as well as windows xp so there are other options :p

I would go with one of these bad boys:

ModBook0701-004_HeroPen-HEADER.png

Since it's an intel Mac you can run Windows or Mac on it, and switch back on forth with the click of the button (that's what I do all the time). Nothing compares to the new intel macs when it comes to integrating work and fun IMO.

here's the link for more info: http://www.axiotron.com/index.php?id=modbook

Youthman, I wouldn't use that one because it doesn't look like it converts to a regular laptop if you don't want to be using the tablet function.

I just ordered a fujitsu last night. It was very pricey, but they've gotten the best reviews I've seen. I was told by multiple people that I should not under any circumstances order the gateway tablet. I have a gateway notebook currently that I'm happy with, but I was told that most of the students at Illinois who went with Gateway have had to send theirs back multiple times for repairs and glitches.

On an off-topic note, chibry, it's UIUC, not UIC. UIC is in Chicago and doesn't have a vet school.

They don't? I guess that's why I never heard back from them when I submitted an application. :D

me and my boyfriend both have tablets{toshibas} and they rule our world!!!! :D i suggest every student get one. they are so versatile, from helping with powerpoints to just taking notes and recording the professor. i can even email underclassmen old notes It great i love you tablet:love: the only complaint i have with using a computer for class is that if you have classes from like 8-12 the battery wont last that long and by like 11 i have to carry around a power plug and then sit in the back or side of class by an outlet and plug it up. BUT OVERALL GET ONE!!!

if you have classes from like 8-12 the battery wont last that long and by like 11 i have to carry around a power plug and then sit in the back or side of class by an outlet and plug it up.
Seems like all the vet schools that have renovated recently have gone to the high-tech lecture hall with bench tables so that everyone has a lot of desk space and each place has a power outlet and a network connection.

Seems like all the vet schools that have renovated recently have gone to the high-tech lecture hall with bench tables so that everyone has a lot of desk space and each place has a power outlet and a network connection.

<drools> technology makes me excited. unfortunately I need to discipline myself not to bring my laptop to class, otherwise i'll just "surf the web while I listen." Good old fashioned pen-and-paper notetaking are the only way I learn.

you should get the sony vaio. i got the 10.1" one...and i love it. it's really light and it has wireless and everything. the downside, it was around $3,000. someone thought my laptop case was a CD case. anyone i show wishes they had it. i wish i had the money to pay it off. lol

I was just reading through this and I love using the tablet. If i were you, id Get it! You take notes directly on the powerpoint or adobe presentations. You basically convert your files to windows journal format and this allows you to highlight, markup, write, erase anything you want. You dont have to lug around one binder per subject and it weighs less than 4 pounds, less than average labtops. Lectures and pictures are in color, instead of black and white. Sometimes during lecture you have to use different color pencils or different highlighters, this becomes annoying. The tablet allows you to do this quite effortlessly. Battery life is increasing, some lasting up to 4 hrs per charge, every lecture table has a plug anyways. Everything is eventually going digital so its best to learn how to use it. Don't get a dell inspiron laptop - they feel like toys, spend some extra money and invest in thinkpad- X60tablet w/touchscreen or a fujitsu; Both are light with excellent build quality, and unless you are doing graphic design and like childish anime graphics - the powerbook is just a FAD, just like the ipods. Really if you want to compute and do actual work, use a pc. if you really don't want your computer to crash use linux or unix based operating system, although windows is more user friendly, but unix is awesome, with windows emulator- never crashes, so much power!!

I can't wait to get mine! I sent it to my house instead of down at school and missed it by a day :mad: . I can't wait until my parents come visit and bring it down!