The ultimate COVID thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The police do have a history of corruption and racism in this country.
I can’t really think of a comparable profession. Now I likely think more systemic changes need to happen other than more book education required, but clearly more accountability is needed.
So do doctors...

I wouldn't have any objection to more training, but a college education isn't likely to make a difference.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
You really asking why the guy with a gun needs more than a high school degree to enforce the law? Or was that sarcasm?
What would a college degree add, exactly?

Also, military service requires even less (in my state police have to be at least 21) and they get bigger guns.

Reactions: 1 user
We are not law enforcement (much more prone to abuse, power corrupts). Law enforcement needs proper civilian oversight, like the military. And their unions should be outlawed.
My state's police union (like every other union here) is super toothless.

Also, might be state dependant, but our police do answer to elected/appointed officials - sheriffs, judges, police chiefs, county/city councils.

Members don't see this ad :)
My state's police union (like every other union here) is super toothless.

Also, might be state dependant, but our police do answer to elected/appointed officials - sheriffs, judges, police chiefs, county/city councils.
Keep dreaming.

I have a great respect for the military, and about an equal disdain for police and the American prison system. They are mostly an oppressive hateful uneducated force, especially in certain parts of the country.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users
It's counterproductive sometimes - it sure was when the Black Panthers tried peacefully demonstrating while armed in Sacramento.

Amazing the double standard that would likely still apply today if armed black people peacefully entered a capitol building vs armed white beardbros who walk around with impunity.

Not lately though - the majority of the anti-gun bills in Virginia got shelved for next year because of those protests. Protests where no laws were broken and no property was damaged.

This sort of "no laws were broken" crap is the same thing trump does where he flagrantly violates norms and does reckless things while skating right on the border of law. Just because you can doesn't mean you should, and that's usually something even a 12 year old can understand. Correlation is not causation, and anti-gun legislation just as likely got shelved because of protesters, but in spite of them being armed to the teeth.

But you will when your party bans them, won't you?

Yea probably, cause unfortunately it's not the highest priority on my list. What I have going for me is that 1. I think it's dawning on more dems that gun legislation is a political loser, 2. I live in the deep south so an "assault weapon" ban is unlikely, 3. Most legislators are too ignorant to confiscate a mini-14 or other less scary looking semiautomatic rifles, so I guess I'll just stock up on those

Then you're in agreement with my disagreement with the posts from MedicMike and Ronin786, that started our latest round of hairsplitting and whatabouting? :)

Ronin said he can't imagine what a Biden win will lead to. I agree with him insofar as tensions with the economy, covid, race relations, and extreme partisanship have reached a fever pitch, and the degree to which we have such a large percentage of the populace who will believe trump when (not if) he says the election is illegitimate will be unprecedented.

Last edited:
Then you're in agreement with my disagreement with the posts from MedicMike and Ronin786, that started our latest round of hairsplitting and whatabouting? :)

Fiiiiiine. Maybe a touch of hyperbole. My point was more to the point that it is incredibly irresponsible on multiple levels to call out unfounded charges of fraud as a precursor to his potential losses, and fail to see what the intention of such a stance is other than to attempt to discredit the election process. Is it intended to simply soothe his ego? Or incite more anger and division?

Reactions: 2 users

Also, military service requires even less (in my state police have to be at least 21) and they get bigger guns.
Doesn't need to be a college degree, but people who don't go far in their education tend not to be too bright if you know what I'm saying. You really want the people who couldn't move forward past high school to be the ones enforcing laws with guns? (This doesn't apply to everyone, obviously).

Also the military gets deployed to shoot people overseas, so doesn't really matter to me... though probably should have smart people in the military leadership that draws from the educated people of society.

• Love
I am sure you guys are just used to the American police looking like the military (not to mention all the vehicles/mass-killing guns they buy from military surplus), but to me it's still very unusual, even after decades. Add to that simple things such as handcuffing non-violent low-risk suspects, the cocky attitude, or the fact that some of them just exude (and inspire) lack of respect.

And let's not mention our prisons... We may have the GDP of a developed country, but we're definitely not civilized when about prisons and criminal punishment. We're downright primitive.

Is military training and discipline more rigorous than police training? I would imagine this isn't an apples to apples comparison

Presumably 4 year college degree adds 4 years of life and hopefully a commensurate development of maturity and exposure to the world outside of... you know high school. A specific degree in something probably doesn't add as much though if that is what you're getting at

Is military training and discipline more rigorous than police training? I would imagine this isn't an apples to apples comparison

Presumably 4 year college degree adds 4 years of life and hopefully a commensurate development of maturity and exposure to the world outside of... you know high school. A specific degree in something probably doesn't add as much though if that is what you're getting at

Anthropology, psych, history, sociology, etc would add a lot. They would expand one’s perspectives beyond high school and popular culture. There’s a serious deficit.

I have no idea as I'm neither military or police.

That's why I pointed out that in my state you have to be 21 to even start training to be a police officer (apparently we had the same idea about life beyond high school).

Doesn't need to be a college degree, but people who don't go far in their education tend not to be too bright if you know what I'm saying. You really want the people who couldn't move forward past high school to be the ones enforcing laws with guns? (This doesn't apply to everyone, obviously).

Also the military gets deployed to shoot people overseas, so doesn't really matter to me... though probably should have smart people in the military leadership that draws from the educated people of society.
How very elitist of you. I wonder if your electrician, plumber, HVAC repair person, and mechanic know what you think of them.

It's possible that here in SC I just don't realize how bad the rest of the country has it compared to us. Not saying we don't have our issues (because who doesn't), but the last time we had something like this (Walter Scott) the officer involved was fired within days, indicted 2 months later after a grand jury investigation, and the state required every officer going forward to wear a body camera to prevent this sort of thing from happening again. Interestingly, the officer in that incident, like this one, had a history of complaints for unnecessary Taser use and had a general discharge from the Coast Guard. Does make one wonder if we should be a bit more careful about who we hire.

As to your last point, what exactly do you think the National Guard does? And this: Pentagon puts military police on alert to go to Minneapolis

Members don't see this ad :)
Keep dreaming.

I have a great respect for the military, and about an equal disdain for police and the American prison system. They are mostly an oppressive hateful uneducated force, especially in certain parts of the country.
That seems a very strong generalization. Got anything to back it up?

I agree with you. Requiring a college degree will just delay the inevitable.

Now instead of immediately getting a 90K+ salary, little Johnny will live in mom's basement after high school, go to community college for 6 years, and eek out a criminal justice degree while working as an EMT/Security Guard. Then will go on to do the same terrible police job we have become used to.

People who say that police "need a college education" have their OWN college education in mind.

An experience that changed them, matured them, gave them perspective and independence, tolerance.

Some people just can not open their mind and learn and develop,

We watch these videos and we don't understand. How could anyone do that? Maybe they just need a change in perspective to see the error in their ways?

Certain people in life are A holes. Certain jobs are more accepting of that behavior than others. I'm not surprised we see this behavior mostly in the military, police, and pro-sports. Your performance is everything, your morals and personality are secondary, lots of A holes get in and can be tolerated for some time until they reveal themselves..

Now instead of immediately getting a 90K+ salary, little Johnny will live in mom's basement after high school, go to community college for 6 years, and eek out a criminal justice degree while working as an EMT/Security Guard. Then will go on to do the same terrible police job we have become used to.

People who say that police "need a college education" have their OWN college education in mind.

An experience that changed them, matured them, gave them perspective and independence, tolerance.

We watch these videos and we don't understand. How could anyone do that? Maybe they just need a change in perspective to see the error in their ways?

Certain people in life are A holes. Certain jobs are more accepting of that behavior than others. I'm not surprised we see this behavior mostly in the military, police, and pro-sports. Your performance is everything, your morals and personality are secondary, lots of A holes get in and can be tolerated for some time until they reveal themselves..
Lot of recent articles about this guy. Apparently he had been disciplined a few times already for being overly aggressive in encounters with suspects. Seems like this is something that should be looked at more carefully.

So how is society to get the best-qualified police force, offering sufficient starting pay to attract quality applicants genuinely best-suited and best-educated for this line of work which is, at the same time, palatable to the taxpayers and city/county/state budget administrators?

So how is society to get the best-qualified police force, offering sufficient starting pay to attract quality applicants genuinely best-suited and best-educated for this line of work which is, at the same time, palatable to the taxpayers and city/county/state budget administrators?
End the war on drugs. Everything that is wrong with the police and our prisons, and I do mean everything, flows straight from those three terrible words.

People as adversaries/enemies instead of those they protect and serve. The militarization of the police was a direct response to drug related violence, and this attracts a lot of ex-military who step off a corner in Baghdad and into one in Los Angelos ... wearing the same body armor, carrying the same weapons, driving the same 'surplus' tactical vehicles. The excessive incarceration for drug offenses (whether possession use or sales these offenses are mostly victimless) has a feedback loop that destroys one life forever, and damages every life that touches that person.

Our society made the wrong decision on drug prohibition and enforcement. We keep doubling down on that bad decision. We got the police force we deserve as a consequence.

The people are the enemy of the police because they are literally at war with us. It's not an education problem.

Reactions: 14 users

Military leadership is very academic. All officers must have a bachelor degree, and you won't get up into the field grade ranks without additional advanced education. It's common for the military to send people out with funding for advanced degrees. Warfighting is a logistics and information management game and we aren't the best in the world at that game by accident. Right now, I'm finishing up a deployment with a surgical team attached to a Marine Corps unit ... even while overseas there has been regular, structured academic work. We've read 4 or 5 books on geopolitics, the ongoing Libyan civil war, leadership, Lincoln. A few months ago we spent a couple weeks reading about a WWII operation and then visited the landing sites (fun field trip) to discuss everything from strategy and tactics, to the surrounding politics, leadership issues good and bad, mistakes, and other pivotal events. God knows I had some less useful and more disorganized discussion groups in med school. Of course we've got some of the stereotypical grunts and people who'll never open a book again in their lives, but that doesn't fly at the mid & upper leadership levels.

Reactions: 8 users
End the war on drugs. Everything that is wrong with the police and our prisons, and I do mean everything, flows straight from those three terrible words.

People as adversaries/enemies instead of those they protect and serve. The militarization of the police was a direct response to drug related violence, and this attracts a lot of ex-military who step off a corner in Baghdad and into one in Los Angelos ... wearing the same body armor, carrying the same weapons, driving the same 'surplus' tactical vehicles. The excessive incarceration for drug offenses (whether possession use or sales these offenses are mostly victimless) has a feedback loop that destroys one life forever, and damages every life that touches that person.

Our society made the wrong decision on drug prohibition and enforcement. We keep doubling down on that bad decision. We got the police force we deserve as a consequence.

The people are the enemy of the police because they are literally at war with us. It's not an education problem.

Unfortunately our war-on-drugs legislators didn’t learn, forgot, or chose to overlook Prohibition‘s “success” and all the evil side effects it engendered.

How very elitist of you. I wonder if your electrician, plumber, HVAC repair person, and mechanic know what you think of them.

It's possible that here in SC I just don't realize how bad the rest of the country has it compared to us. Not saying we don't have our issues (because who doesn't), but the last time we had something like this (Walter Scott) the officer involved was fired within days, indicted 2 months later after a grand jury investigation, and the state required every officer going forward to wear a body camera to prevent this sort of thing from happening again. Interestingly, the officer in that incident, like this one, had a history of complaints for unnecessary Taser use and had a general discharge from the Coast Guard. Does make one wonder if we should be a bit more careful about who we hire.

As to your last point, what exactly do you think the National Guard does? And this: Pentagon puts military police on alert to go to Minneapolis
Yea... I’m an elitist for thinking the person with a gun enforcing laws shouldn’t be a dumb a$$ or your local high school drop out... Do you also think CRNAs shouldn’t practice independently? How very elitist of you.

Also, I didn’t say the police should have a bachelors degree or four year college. Find a way to find nurturing, just people and screen out the a-holes. Maybe hire people who were former teachers or moms or the old battle axe nurses who yell at residents. The police’s role should be to protect us, not hunt us down. The police force seems way too easy to let jerks enter. I’m trying to say their should be higher personality standards, not a degree limit.

Sounds like SC handled things well.

Last edited:
That seems a very strong generalization. Got anything to back it up?
I know that it seems such a strong generalization, but the answer to that is in your post.
Lot of recent articles about this guy. Apparently he had been disciplined a few times already for being overly aggressive in encounters with suspects. Seems like this is something that should be looked at more carefully.
I understand that every profession has rotten apples, but, it seems, every time we start digging because of a rotten policeman we find a rotten system behind. We find a cancer with mets everywhere. And I am not talking just about the racist stuff; I am talking about how they have special "get out of jail"-type cards for friends and family, civil forfeiture, and all the disgusting cronyism. There is a reason prosecutors are afraid to properly punish criminal cops.

Not only that, but, when society tries to remove that cancer, guess who protest? Cops. The ones that are supposed to be mostly good and nice and law-abiding and professional. Sorry, but I have less and less respect for the group, as years pass. Best case scenario: bureaucrats in uniform. Worst case scenario: criminals in uniform. What I would like would be mensch in uniform.

They shouldn't be allowed to self-police (every criminal complaint against a cop should be investigated by the FBI, out-of-state for major crimes), or special legal treatments (if anything, they should automatically get maximum punishment whenever they break the law), and the uniformed ones should be required to live in the communities they police, and patrol on foot or bicycle whenever possible.

Reactions: 4 users
Yea... I’m an elitist for thinking the person with a gun enforcing laws shouldn’t be a dumb a$$ or your local high school drop out... Do you also think CRNAs shouldn’t practice independently? How very elitist of you.

Also, I didn’t say the police should have a bachelors degree or four year college. Find a way to find nurturing, just people and screen out the a-holes. Maybe hire people who were former teachers or moms or the old battle axe nurses who yell at residents. The police’s role should be to protect us, not hunt us down. The police force seems way too easy to let jerks enter. I’m trying to say their should be higher personality standards, not a degree limit.

Sounds like SC handled things well.
Ok then I completely agree. We definitely should screen new police hires carefully, but requiring a bachelor's degree won't fix the problem.

Give all the midlevels independence and let them sink or swim without us as a safety net.

I'll be making friends with the malpractice attorneys, I hear expert witness work pays well and I have no ethical qualms testifying against NPs.

I know that it seems such a strong generalization, but the answer to that is in your post.

I understand that every profession has rotten apples, but, it seems, every time we start digging because of a rotten policeman we find a rotten system behind. We find a cancer with mets everywhere. And I am not talking just about the racist stuff; I am talking about how they have special "get out of jail"-type cards for friends and family, civil forfeiture, and all the disgusting cronyism. There is a reason prosecutors are afraid to properly punish criminal cops.

Not only that, but, when society tries to remove that cancer, guess who protest? Cops. The ones that are supposed to be mostly good and nice and law-abiding and professional. Sorry, but I have less and less respect for the group, as years pass. Best case scenario: bureaucrats in uniform. Worst case scenario: criminals in uniform. What I would like would be mensch in uniform.

They shouldn't be allowed to self-police (every criminal complaint against a cop should be investigated by the FBI, out-of-state for major crimes), or special legal treatments (if anything, they should automatically get maximum punishment whenever they break the law), and the uniformed ones should be required to live in the communities they police, and patrol on foot or bicycle whenever possible.

I do find the variability of all of this troubling. Everywhere I've lived it hasn't been an issue, but some of the more rural parts of SC have problems with the corruption of the county sheriffs. I've lived next to police several times and they seemed fine people.

The guy who shot Walter Scott down here as best I can see didn't have a problem history.

Any complaints of merit get sent to our states version of the FBI for investigation (SLED if you care).

I find myself saying this surprisingly often of late, but maybe SC is better than I always assumed.

I do find the variability of all of this troubling. Everywhere I've lived it hasn't been an issue, but some of the more rural parts of SC have problems with the corruption of the county sheriffs. I've lived next to police several times and they seemed fine people.

The guy who shot Walter Scott down here as best I can see didn't have a problem history.

Any complaints of merit get sent to our states version of the FBI for investigation (SLED if you care).

I find myself saying this surprisingly often of late, but maybe SC is better than I always assumed.
My state seems fine, too, but I am white and usually kempt and decently dressed. My cars are also in good shape (and they can probably look up instantly that I am a doctor). So I have nothing to complain about, personally. I am also probably in the top 5% as law-abiding goes (except for driving 5-8 mph over the limit).

However, the stuff I get to read about in the press, in other states, is scary. And not just the racism. Also, even in my state, policemen don't look friendly, with all that garbage hanging on them, with their cars looking like nobody else's. Next time you're in Europe, take a look at their police cars or officers.

To me, there is just two kinds of police: community police, and oppressive police. The former require the cops to be your neighbors, your acquaintances, even friends. The latter is everything else.

100%

My state seems fine, too, but I am white and usually kempt and decently dressed. My cars are also in good shape (and they can probably look up instantly that I am a doctor). So I have nothing to complain about, personally. I am also probably in the top 5% as law-abiding goes (except for driving 5-8 mph over the limit).

However, the stuff I get to read about in the press, in other states, is scary. And not just the racism. Also, even in my state, policemen don't look friendly, with all that garbage hanging on them, with their cars looking like nobody else's. Next time you're in Europe, take a look at their police cars or officers.

To me, there is just too kinds of police: community police, and oppressive police. The former require the cops to be your neighbors, your acquaintances, even friends. The latter is everything else.

I’ve lived in Europe and Iceland. Their load-out and firearms are substantial. I did not take these photos, but they are very representative of what I saw.

Iceland:

London:

Paris:

Attachments

• AD411712-89D9-45E4-836E-613C7407CAC9.jpeg
    AD411712-89D9-45E4-836E-613C7407CAC9.jpeg
    195.4 KB · Views: 72
  • 3DC3ECB2-8C6D-4529-9E47-6E8BAFE3251E.jpeg
    3DC3ECB2-8C6D-4529-9E47-6E8BAFE3251E.jpeg
    200.7 KB · Views: 88
  • F13FE317-2C4F-4E31-A7A6-F030EE68F42E.jpeg
    F13FE317-2C4F-4E31-A7A6-F030EE68F42E.jpeg
    126 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
I’ve lived in Europe and Iceland. Their load-out and firearms are substantial. I did not take these photos, but they are very representative of what I saw.

Iceland:

London:

Paris:
You're really comparing airport and anti-terrorist security (that's basically the only case you see rifles on them) with our "regular" policing? Whatever.

I haven't been to Iceland; maybe they are as ****oo as we are.

The lockdown is effectively over with all of the protesting.

You're really comparing airport and anti-terrorist security (that's basically the only case you see rifles on them) with our "regular" policing? Whatever.

I haven't been to Iceland; maybe they are as ****oo as we are.

Could be; seasonal affective disorder is legit.

But, hey, lockdown doesn't work.

Moreover, it has become clear that ‘herd immunity’ is still a distant dream, even in Sweden. Seroprevalence studies conducted in late April show that only about seven percent of surveyed individuals in Stockholm carried antibodies to COVID-19, an order of magnitude off the 60 – 80 percent goal. Until a vaccine is discovered, a person won’t become immune unless and until he gets sick and survives. As Sam Bowman has observed in the Critic, such data suggest that “criticisms of lockdowns tend to ignore that the real counterfactual would not be business as usual, nor a rapid attainment of herd immunity, but a slow, brutal, and uncontrolled spread of the disease throughout the population, killing many people.”

While the dear leader is busy using the riot police and tear gas to make room for photo ops, and playing the tough morbidly obese guy :rofl::

President of the redneck states of America, whichever those still are.

This is exactly what I was discussing with my brother when he asked why people are protesting this time so much more severely compared to the past when other black folks have been killed by police.
I said it’s more than just Black Lives Matter. It’s all of the above in the title of the article.
The wealth inequity. The Unemployment. Lack of healthcare access. The racism. The police Brutality. Covid deaths. Covid restrictions. All happening in the same time frame.
People are ready to explode.

While the dear leader is busy using the riot police and tear gas to make room for photo ops, and playing the tough morbidly obese guy :rofl::

President of the redneck states of America, whichever those still are.

1591106195213.png

I'm inspired by our very religious, very fit 239 lb president.

Hey. We need to make a deal. There are very good people on both sides. Unless if one of those sides has a lot of minorities; then “we be shootin’!”

Forget it dude, ain't happening. Just read this thread the past dozen or so posts (that's all I could handle). Supposedly some of the higher intelligent beings in society can't look at anything objectively and discuss with an open mind. It's all agenda and narrative, and we know who controls media, education, Hollywood,... and message boards.

Lebron James can say, ignorant as a bag of Doritos, "We're literally hunted everyday (by white people)" and he's seen as some kind of social justice warrior hero, but if I were to say "We're literally hunted everyday (by black people)," while still very ignorant but less ignorant statistically, I would be unable to keep my employment. Let that sink in for a while to see what you are up against.

Looks like a majority of the country agrees with LeBron

• Okay...
  • Dislike