The Watering Hole (social)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
FedLoan>GreatLakes>>>>>>>>Navient from what I’ve read, if you have a choice. But who knows who FedLoan will get replaced by and how that factors in. Seems hard to be worse than stories I’ve heard about Navient but who knows. I have had FedLoan but obviously will have to change. Luckily with the extension to January you bought yourself a couple more months at 0 to procrastinate more if needed.
Yeah, I did great lakes for now since they are the easiest to work with of all of the companies apparently. I am assuming once they eventually figure out who will be taking over the PSLF stuff I will just get switched to them, but in the meantime figured I'd pick the vaguely least ****ty option

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I have very boring loans, but haven't had any problems with NelNet personally.
Yeah I also have NelNet. They were... Not great when I was trying to exit my grace period and consolidate my loans before starting my PhD. Got opposite information from 3 different people, took so long to get a real answer that it didn't end up happening and now I'm stuck in deferment until I graduate. Super annoying.

I have had mohela before when I refinanced my private loans from undergrad. They were decent so I chose them as my loan servicer. That's a personal anecdote however so no one take only my word for it :shrug:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I also have NelNet. They were... Not great when I was trying to exit my grace period and consolidate my loans before starting my PhD. Got opposite information from 3 different people, took so long to get a real answer that it didn't end up happening and now I'm stuck in deferment until I graduate. Super annoying.
Yeah, that's why I gave the disclaimer haha... they've taken my money well and everything has seemed fairly straightforward with them, but I have all federal loans and nothing very complicated insofar as repayment plans or whatnot. No experience on the other side of things.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm so sad Fedloans is going away. They've been the best, I've always felt lucky that I was placed with them from the start. I'm terrified of what's to come. I need to figure out a way to download/print all of my payment history so I don't get screwed as the transfers happen.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm in the same boat with Great Lakes, @DVMDream. I've always been as happy with them as a person can be with a student loan servicer. Very polite and organized.

Yikes to all of this nonsense!

• Care
HAPPY BIRTHDAY @SportPonies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!💜💜💜🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉

birthday horse GIF

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
I'm so sad Fedloans is going away. They've been the best, I've always felt lucky that I was placed with them from the start. I'm terrified of what's to come. I need to figure out a way to download/print all of my payment history so I don't get screwed as the transfers happen.
So much agree. Better add printing/downloading my payment history to my ever growing to do list, good point

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
@SkiOtter I went back to figure out which secret Santa that was. That was summer of 2018.. I think June was when I saw you posted receiving it. But maybe it was July. You had been on vacation and the package was locked tight in the post office on vacation hold so you couldn't get it. I think I was legitimately just as excited for you to open it as you were. :laugh:

I also sent you a couple of anatomy books that I'm sure hopefully anatomy worries now seem like distant memories. Lol.

@SkiOtter I went back to figure out which secret Santa that was. That was summer of 2018.. I think June was when I saw you posted receiving it. But maybe it was July. You had been on vacation and the package was locked tight in the post office on vacation hold so you couldn't get it. I think I was legitimately just as excited for you to open it as you were. :laugh:

I also sent you a couple of anatomy books that I'm sure hopefully anatomy worries now seem like distant memories. Lol.
Thankfully they are very distant memories 😂😂😂 I did use them though!!!! And yes, that giant fan box was locked tight in the post office 😂 I thankfully didn’t have to go to a different freakin city half an hour away like I used to have to for packages before my parents moved the year prior😅

• Haha
I'm outsourcing my Spooktober movie list this year. 31 days, 31 movies. Give me your suggestions. Doesn't matter if I've seen it before. The only thing that matters is Day 1 is always Hocus Pocus. Also it's nice if it's available on a streaming service (I have Netflix, Prime, Hulu, Disney+, and HBO) but I have rented in the past. SPOOKTOBER IS WORTH IT.

Also I'm totally up for spooky watch parties if anyone is interested in watching any of the movies with me :)

The List so far:
1. Hocus Pocus (Disney+)
2. Clue
3. Rocky Horror Picture Show
4. Rosemary's Baby
5. The Conjuring
6. The Conjuring 2
7. Malignant
8. Cujo
9. Carrie
10. Evil Dead
11. The Shining
12. Doctor Sleep
13. 1408 (might get swapped out for something available on a streaming service)
14. Manos: the Hands of Fate (MST version)
15. Halloweentown
16. CAM
17. The Ring
18. Dark Water
19. Nightmare Before Christmas
20. Final Destination 3 (alternatively pick a weekend day and just marathon a bunch of 'em)
21. Misery
22. Secret Window
23. The Babadook
24. American Psycho
25. The Thing
26. Nosferatu (1922)
27. Freaks (1932)
28. Black Swan
29. Little Shop of Horrors
30. The Exorcist
31. Halloween

Last edited:
  • Hmm
I'm outsourcing my Spooktober movie list this year. 31 days, 31 movies. Give me your suggestions. Doesn't matter if I've seen it before. The only thing that matters is Day 1 is always Hocus Pocus. Also it's nice if it's available on a streaming service (I have Netflix, Prime, Hulu, Disney+, and HBO) but I have rented in the past. SPOOKTOBER IS WORTH IT.

Also I'm totally up for spooky watch parties if anyone is interested in watching any of the movies with me :)
1) Clue. Always a must
2) yes, I will do spooky watch parties!

• Love

The Exorcist, Cujo and Carrie ... ugh! ... freak-out scary movies.

Any botfly removal video.

• Love
  • Haha
Evil Dead, The Shining, Manos: the Hands of Fate (MST version)

The List so far:
1. Hocus Pocus (Disney+)
2. Clue
4. Rosemary's Baby
5. The Conjuring
6. The Conjuring 2
7. The Exorcist
8. Cujo
9. Carrie
10. Evil Dead
11. The Shining
12. Doctor Sleep
31. Halloween
Halloweentown??

• Love

The List so far:
1. Hocus Pocus (Disney+)
2. Clue
4. Rosemary's Baby
5. The Conjuring
6. The Conjuring 2
7. The Exorcist
8. Cujo
9. Carrie
10. Evil Dead
11. The Shining
12. Doctor Sleep
15. Halloweentown
31. Halloween
Nightmare before Christmas

The newish animated Addams Family is surprisingly delightful, too.

Ok, but are you just gonna watch the first one, or all four?
Just the first one lol unless I feel like/have the time to marathon them in one night. I fall on the spookier side of Spooktober enjoyment so while I do enjoy those movies I'd rather fill more days with actual horror :laugh:

I fall on the spookier side of Spooktober enjoyment so while I do enjoy those movies I'd rather fill more days with actual horror
Oops did not read this prior to my very not that spooky recommendations.

CAM on Netflix is one I've watched recently.

Does Black Swan count as psychological horror? It's a fave and was on HBO as of a couple months ago.

I feel like you shouldn't really do Spooktober without The Ring, unless it's just not a fave.

Babadook. Final Destination of some variety. Dark Water. The Thing. American Psycho.

It's more Stephen King, but I really like Secret Window. And Misery.

The black and white Nosferatu (1922) and Freaks (1932) are also worth a watch and are both pretty short, easy to fit in a day. Especially Freaks.

If I made a list for myself, it would basically alternate Halloween cartoons and psychological thrillers that barely count. :laugh:

Speaking of barely counting... Little Shop of Horrors?

Does Black Swan count as psychological horror? It's a fave and was on HBO as of a couple months ago.

I feel like you shouldn't really do Spooktober without The Ring, unless it's just not a fave.

Babadook. Final Destination of some variety. Dark Water. The Thing. American Psycho.

The black and white Nosferatu (1922) and Freaks (1932) are also worth a watch and are both pretty short, easy to fit in a day. Especially Freaks.
Oh man, The Ring scarred me as a child.

Finally Destination 3 is the one everybody remembers and imo the one to pick - it's the one with the truck with the logs lol

The Thing is great, and I think should watch the John Carpenter original

I consider 28 Days Later something of a modern classic, especially if you're into zombie movies. They heralded the fast zombie trope in the mainstream

Also, I nominate Alien so I can watch Ripley and her cat kick butt

Love all these recs!! I use a bit of a broad definition that includes psychological thriller and like, action/horror.

And I will never complain about more SK :D

Oh man, The Ring scarred me as a child.

Finally Destination 3 is the one everybody remembers and imo the one to pick - it's the one with the truck with the logs lol

The Thing is great, and I think should watch the John Carpenter original

I consider 28 Days Later something of a modern classic, especially if you're into zombie movies. They heralded the fast zombie trope in the mainstream

Also, I nominate Alien so I can watch Ripley and her cat kick butt
I definitely did Alien last year and maybe 28 Days Later too so I'll hold onto those in case I can't fill the list

Spooktober might have to start now
I started watching Ratched and I also have some American Horror Story to catch up on - I don't think I've watched season 9 yet? So between those and maybe finally finishing Supernatural, I'm considering this Spooktober pre-game season lol

The heck is up with the voting next to the threads? Makes everything look more cramped together on the page.

Plus who cares about thread votes?

Reactions: 5 users
The heck is up with the voting next to the threads? Makes everything look more cramped together on the page.

Plus who cares about thread votes?
Yeah. I don't understand the point of the upvote system since the forums don't appear to utilize any actual resorting algorithm like Reddit does and we already have the post reacts, anyway. It feels like kind of a weird and redundant addition.

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah. I don't understand the point of the upvote system since the forums don't appear to utilize any actual resorting algorithm like Reddit does and we already have the post reacts, anyway. It feels like kind of a weird and redundant addition.

I mean it is typical SDN "hey let's add a feature that no one asked for, no one wants and no one will utilize, but it'll definitely change the layout of the forums making them more clogged with unnecessary things."

Reactions: 5 users
I can't decide if I think the upvoting is more or less redundant than the commenting feature that already went away.

Who needs a commenting feature on a forum where you can directly reply to someone?
Who needs upvoting when you already have likes, too, but that's already been said.