This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
do

do you mind sharing when you interviewed/got accepted :)

I interviewed at Houston on Sept. 19th and Dallas on Oct. 11th and got accepted to both on Dec. 1st.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I overheard Dr. Malone say today that there should still be 2-3 more rounds of acceptances

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A&M had another round today. One of my friends just got accepted today.

Lmao bro thats cool. Dam i chose a bad year to apply to tmdsas. Last year's sdn thread was so lit, iono why this year's is so quiet. If someone got in last year, they definitely woulda posted it. No disrespect but dam
Yeah, lots of people just get accepted and never log into SDN again lol.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone have any idea when Houston would sent out the next list? Assuming at least 5-10 acceptances are left.

Here's an update for y'all. Just got a letter in the last 30 minutes from UTSD Houston. I was rejected. My application packet got there in mid July 2017. My interview was delayed due to Hurricane Harvey and pushed to mid September.

This has been a roller coaster for me. The pressure of interviewing and waiting to hear something for so long has helped me come to a conclusion: I don't want this enough to get back in line for the ride in the coming cycles. Thanks to all for posting what you've seen in your inboxes as it has helped provide context to the waiting.

Congratulations to all accepted. Best wishes to those who didn't get in. I hope it has helped harden your resolve to try again, or has helped forge your focus into another avenue in life.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected from Houston had a similar interview situation as the person above. Still waiting on A&M. Time to get ready for reapplying throwing out of states schools into the mix.

I also, sadly, got the UTSD rejection letter and interviewed late October. Waiting on San Antonio without high hopes and post bach interview end of March. Hoping I can get into one of the two or else it’s rushing to reapply and retake DAT for me! Good luck to all of you still waiting.

Strike one . Sliver of hope left for Dallas or SA....

I also, sadly, got the UTSD rejection letter and interviewed late October. Waiting on San Antonio without high hopes and post bach interview end of March. Hoping I can get into one of the two or else it’s rushing to reapply and retake DAT for me! Good luck to all of you still waiting.

Were these physical letters of rejection or emails?

Honestly though if you got interviews, why would you retake? My DAT isn't that great and I don't have the time to retake personally but I always thought if you got the interviews then your fine and just need to try again as a reapplicant and show your dedicated

Honestly though if you got interviews, why would you retake? My DAT isn't that great and I don't have the time to retake personally but I always thought if you got the interviews then your fine and just need to try again as a reapplicant and show your dedicated
Honestly, I’m dreading re taking it. I have a lower GPA so I figured I’d need to offset it more with a higher DAT score. But you may absolutely be right. I was planning on talking to contacts at the school from interviewing about what they suggest before making any solid decisions anyways. I just also don’t want to start a masters now that I’m graduating in May and just spend more money like that so I need to see what they suggest and just suck it up and do whatever they say I need to to get in the next round lol

Anyone have any info from UTHSCSA? It's been a little over two weeks since they sent out the last round I know of.. Feb. 21.

Reactions: 2 users
Honestly, I’m dreading re taking it. I have a lower GPA so I figured I’d need to offset it more with a higher DAT score. But you may absolutely be right. I was planning on talking to contacts at the school from interviewing about what they suggest before making any solid decisions anyways. I just also don’t want to start a masters now that I’m graduating in May and just spend more money like that so I need to see what they suggest and just suck it up and do whatever they say I need to to get in the next round lol
You know they suggest a masters and all this, but at the end of the day, having to go get a job and pay bills and maybe take a class or two sounds realistic. They accept working adults all the time and nothing is more realistic than having to earn a living. Really, what could they say to your face in an interview if you respond "I had to make a living"? I surely wouldn't criticize that! That's straight up maturity.

was accepted to Houston around 8am today. never post or anything but know that someone might find it useful. Also surprised no one has posted yet but maybe there are fewer people this round... good luck everyone.

Reactions: 3 users
was accepted to Houston around 8am today. never post or anything but know that someone might find it useful. Also surprised no one has posted yet but maybe there are fewer people this round... good luck everyone.
Congrats!! Do u mind posting ur stats?

I wonder if San Antonio will be sending out soon? Anyone know if it’s around that time for them?

Congrats!!:)
when was your interview

I'm pretty sure I'll be getting rejected from San Antonio, but I hope to do there GPR program after dental school. Do ya'll think they will care that they didn't want to accept me for dental school when considering me for their GPR program? My interviewer said it was the best GPR in the US.

Doubt we’ll be hearing anything soon since all three schools are out for spring break this week.

Doubt we’ll be hearing anything soon since all three schools are out for spring break this week.

I think UTHSCSA's Spring Break was last week, but you're right about the other two.

I'm pretty sure I'll be getting rejected from San Antonio, but I hope to do there GPR program after dental school. Do ya'll think they will care that they didn't want to accept me for dental school when considering me for their GPR program? My interviewer said it was the best GPR in the US.
It won’t matter when it comes to applying to their GPR.

UTHealth SA acceptance around noon today! Boy oh boy what a journey it’s been

Reactions: 7 users
I got accepted to San Antonio! Be seeing yall there!

Reactions: 5 users
Anyone recently accepted to UTHSCSA willing to post their GPA/DAT stats?

Need some advice about retaking my DAT guys. This cycle I only applied to Texas schools. I applied really late, like right before the deadline, and I ended up getting two interviews. My gpa is 3.5 and DAT is 20. I studied most of last summer for my DAT and barely pulled that score off. I was planning on taking It again, but do to financial reasons I may have to work full time this summer so I don’t know if I will have time to really improve on my score. One of my weaknesses that was brought up in my interviews was my dental related volunteer hours, which was below average. I have really good shadowing hours, and I’m currently volunteering at a free dental clinic I just found out about in the Houston area, so I should be able to bring my hours up to a good number next cycle. This next cycle I plan on applying out of state, so I have to work more to be able to afford all the fees, flights for interviews, etc. I’m an older applicant, so I don’t have as much time on my hands. There’s a lot of stuff going on in my life currently, and I don’t know if it is really necessary for me to put it all on hold and spend the time retaking my test. I’ve talked to a lot of my friends who are current dental students, and even dentists who I shadow, and I’ve heard mixed things from everyone, so I just wanted to hear what you guys think. Thank you guys for your time!
oh man I'm so sorry to hear that. My question is did you get rejections from those two interviews?
i know you want this so badly, but isn't 20 a good score for Texas? as in it's average!!

Thanks! Only one rejection so far, but it’s already late March so I’m trying to prepare for the worst. 20 is average in Texas, just like my GPA.
I would think it’s your interviewing skills more than anything...GPA and DAT are good. What’s your sGPA and TS? I think those are looked at more than anything. I would just continue adding volunteering/ECs to your application and reapply, but you still have a chance!

I would think it’s your interviewing skills more than anything...GPA and DAT are good. What’s your sGPA and TS? I think those are looked at more than anything. I would just continue adding volunteering/ECs to your application and reapply, but you still have a chance!
I agree! I think you have a really good shot,

Need some advice about retaking my DAT guys. This cycle I only applied to Texas schools. I applied really late, like right before the deadline, and I ended up getting two interviews. My gpa is 3.5 and DAT is 20. I studied most of last summer for my DAT and barely pulled that score off. I was planning on taking It again, but do to financial reasons I may have to work full time this summer so I don’t know if I will have time to really improve on my score. One of my weaknesses that was brought up in my interviews was my dental related volunteer hours, which was below average. I have really good shadowing hours, and I’m currently volunteering at a free dental clinic I just found out about in the Houston area, so I should be able to bring my hours up to a good number next cycle. This next cycle I plan on applying out of state, so I have to work more to be able to afford all the fees, flights for interviews, etc. I’m an older applicant, so I don’t have as much time on my hands. There’s a lot of stuff going on in my life currently, and I don’t know if it is really necessary for me to put it all on hold and spend the time retaking my test. I’ve talked to a lot of my friends who are current dental students, and even dentists who I shadow, and I’ve heard mixed things from everyone, so I just wanted to hear what you guys think. Thank you guys for your time!

You could look around for Dentistry From the Heart events. If you go on their website there is a calendar of when and where the events are happening and most people that are doing those kinds of things are super happy to have more people. The office I worked at in Houston does a DTFH event every September. Its a day of free dentistry so usually in a Saturday you can get in 6-8 hours, a few of those and you are up 25 more hours in your dental related volunteering, and tbh these events are so fun. They are usually on Saturdays too so the offices hosting them don't have to shut down production for a day. They have some in Houston, Lake Jackson, San Antonio, Suburbs around Dallas, etc, so they might not be right next door but definitely worth the drive. I can hook you up with contact info for the office I worked at for the one in September if you want!

I wonder how many spots are left in all three schools?

Reactions: 3 users
I emailed Dr Clooney, he said I would hear back by May 1st..... and that just sounds like a rejection LOL

Dang man. Well maybe they sent out more acceptances and people just aren't posting on here. When did you interview and what are your stats?

My brother is still waiting to hear back from San Antonio and Dallas. Hope some spots open up...

I got rejected by Houston yesterday morning. Good thing my number one was SA and I already got accepted there.