You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Touro University - Nevada (TUNCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015
Started by DOthreads
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Anyone staying at wingate tomorrow night?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted436726
Not I. I am at the Sunset station.
I can see it quite clearly from my window. Gaudiest building in town 😛
Business and pleasure hahaI figured since I have never been there, I might as well drink a little Vegas lite.
NoI'm not. I get in around 7pm tonight!Are you already there Fargofargo?
Lol airport slot machines? That kinda counts hahaSo no pleasure for you.
Yup!Are you both morning slot?
Ps airport slots have worse odds than Casino odds...that said my first time in Vegas I won $300 5 min before boarding my flight
Is anyone besides me accepted and for sure going here? I'm trying to do some future planning for housing.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I can see it quite clearly from my window. Gaudiest building in town 😛
You are so right
Last edited:
Anyone know the specific schedule for the afternoon slot interviews? Especially regarding food?
You get dinner at the end, so eat something before hand...I was paranoid (stains) and ate before I put on my suit.Anyone know the specific schedule for the afternoon slot interviews? Especially regarding food?
Last edited:
Anyone know the specific schedule for the afternoon slot interviews? Especially regarding food?
I jotted down what the person from admissions told me, and I believe it was check-in, interview, tour, QA panel, dinner
For those of you that have been accepted, the facebook group for class of 2019 is "Southern Nevada Medical Students 2019"
Good luck to all of you applying and interviewing! I was there too. I get how difficult it can be. I was on the waitlist until about a week before classes started and then I got the call that changed my life. For those of you with any questions about Touro Nevada or medical school in general I'll try my best to answer them. Again, best of luck to you all!
D
DrPibble
Oh man. I just called to check on my status as I received the confirmation email on August 27th and was supposed to be contacted within a month of that date.
I was (fortunately) informed that I was indeed invited for an interview and was added to the interview system on Sept. 11th! But there was a communication breakdown somewhere. Hopefully that delay won't matter much in the big picture... 🙂
Congrats to everyone else!!
I was (fortunately) informed that I was indeed invited for an interview and was added to the interview system on Sept. 11th! But there was a communication breakdown somewhere. Hopefully that delay won't matter much in the big picture... 🙂
Congrats to everyone else!!
Might write a bit more later since I'm busy...but kosher pizza is pretty good
Hope you guys had a good day at the interview yesterday ,Good luck to all of you! . I am interviewing here in November ,how was your interviews ? Any tips/advice ? .
It was great! Started off with the whole curriculum/school presentations. There are plenty of opportunities to ask any questions you have about the school. Interview felt really short/rushed so definitely try to keep your answers concise. Tour of the school was pretty neat since you didn't really have to step outside of the school to go anywhere. I definitely liked the QA panel with the students at the end the most though. Anyone on admissions leave the room, so you can ask those candid questions to the students about life/nightlife/kosher rules or anything else. They were really open and honest and definitely helped me in making my decision of whether to attend here or not.
If you are wishing to read a great interview info post about the school, read post #177 by Deadleopard. Also a side note, I will be borrowing Deadleopard's format because it was helpful for me before I interviewed there.
Travel:
I flew in midafternoon Sunday before my interview. If it is your first time to Vegas, McCarran can be a little confusing. If you rented a car, the rental facilities are offsite and you have to take a shuttle to pick up your rental car. https://www.mccarran.com/Go/RentalCars.aspx explains how to get to the free shuttle from either terminal 1 or 3. There is a return shuttle from the rental car center back to both terminal 1 and 3.
Lodging:
Since it was my first time in Vegas, I decided to stay at a local Casino in Henderson called the Sunset Station Casino. It was 28 dollars a night + 16.70 a day resort fee. When I last looked at the price the room rate jumped up to $40 dollars a night. There was nothing spectacular about the hotel. It just gave me a chance to speak to some locals who were more than happy to talk about why they liked Henderson. Both the Hampton Inn and Suites and Hilton Garden Inn are next to the Sunset Station Casino.
Food:
If you stay at any of the three hotels I mentioned, there is plenty of food to eat at around there. In the Casino they have a steak house, a buffet, Fatburgers, Subway, an Italian restaurant and a generic restaurant that is open 24 hours. Outside the hotel they have a 24 hour Dennys, the three big fast food restaurants, In and Out, and a bunch more restaurants. The area is next to a shopping mall, Galleria at Sunset, however I never went inside.
Things to do:
I was only there for 24 hours so I did not have too much time to explore. Besides the mall and the Casino if you stay at Sunset, Hampton Inn or Hilton Garden, there is a movie theater in the casino, a bowling alley, and slots and table games.
Touro’s building:
The school was 10 minutes away from my hotel using side streets. There was only 6 visitor spots which filled up by 7:30 my interview day. There are plenty of street parking but just do not park in any spot that says reserved or if the street curb color is red. As mentioned before it is a warehouse. If it was not for the large Touro Nevada sign on the front of the school I would have not known it was the right place. The front of the school was the only place with windows. I was told you eventually get used to it. The inside halls were a little small and the carpets were old/taped up, but the facilities were up to date. They have a small library, a computer lab, a gym, a basketball court, a large cadaver lab, and OMM lab. We were told during our tour there were 4-5 students per cadavers and 1 instructor per 5 tables. Did not have a chance to see the lecture hall because first years were taking a test. They also had a small research lab.
Outline for interview day:
In my group there was 16 interviewees. The Assistant Director of Admissions ran the day. She had us introduce ourselves, and explained the schedule for the day. We learned about Touro and how it is a Jewish sponsored school (Jewish holidays are off but most students, 99%, are not Jewish) Talked about living in Nevada, student life and answered some questions. We then had the Dean of the College of Osteopathic Medicine speak to us. He opened the floor to questions.
After we had a break and then our group was split in half. Half went on a tour that was run by two students and the other half stayed for interviews. Interviews were 20 minutes long and you had two faculty members interview you. They asked me why D.O. why Touro, why Nevada then asked me questions from my file. It was mostly conversational for me but they asked me why I had not taken biochem which I did not prepare for.
After the interview we had a financial aid presentation and then the Assistant Director of Admissions explained what happens next after the interview process. Following that we had Jewish pizza (sweet bread and sauce, no meat) for lunch and a Q&A session with 1st and 2nd year students.
The Assistant Director was laid back and she was very receptive to answering any questions you might have. She told us that after the interview she puts together your file and before Friday of that week the admission committee reviews the file. After that, the file and whatever happens during the committee meeting is compiled again and the file is given to the Dean. She tries to have the Yes, No, or Waitlist status back to you by the following Tuesday (8 days) unless there is a holiday where they are off. My group was told that by October 17th (18 days after the interview) we should call if we have not heard anything. The status would be received by email and if accepted you will receive what you have to do next in the mail. We were also told you had one week to respond to the letter from the mail.
tl;dr
Oh well
Travel:
I flew in midafternoon Sunday before my interview. If it is your first time to Vegas, McCarran can be a little confusing. If you rented a car, the rental facilities are offsite and you have to take a shuttle to pick up your rental car. https://www.mccarran.com/Go/RentalCars.aspx explains how to get to the free shuttle from either terminal 1 or 3. There is a return shuttle from the rental car center back to both terminal 1 and 3.
Lodging:
Since it was my first time in Vegas, I decided to stay at a local Casino in Henderson called the Sunset Station Casino. It was 28 dollars a night + 16.70 a day resort fee. When I last looked at the price the room rate jumped up to $40 dollars a night. There was nothing spectacular about the hotel. It just gave me a chance to speak to some locals who were more than happy to talk about why they liked Henderson. Both the Hampton Inn and Suites and Hilton Garden Inn are next to the Sunset Station Casino.
Food:
If you stay at any of the three hotels I mentioned, there is plenty of food to eat at around there. In the Casino they have a steak house, a buffet, Fatburgers, Subway, an Italian restaurant and a generic restaurant that is open 24 hours. Outside the hotel they have a 24 hour Dennys, the three big fast food restaurants, In and Out, and a bunch more restaurants. The area is next to a shopping mall, Galleria at Sunset, however I never went inside.
Things to do:
I was only there for 24 hours so I did not have too much time to explore. Besides the mall and the Casino if you stay at Sunset, Hampton Inn or Hilton Garden, there is a movie theater in the casino, a bowling alley, and slots and table games.
Touro’s building:
The school was 10 minutes away from my hotel using side streets. There was only 6 visitor spots which filled up by 7:30 my interview day. There are plenty of street parking but just do not park in any spot that says reserved or if the street curb color is red. As mentioned before it is a warehouse. If it was not for the large Touro Nevada sign on the front of the school I would have not known it was the right place. The front of the school was the only place with windows. I was told you eventually get used to it. The inside halls were a little small and the carpets were old/taped up, but the facilities were up to date. They have a small library, a computer lab, a gym, a basketball court, a large cadaver lab, and OMM lab. We were told during our tour there were 4-5 students per cadavers and 1 instructor per 5 tables. Did not have a chance to see the lecture hall because first years were taking a test. They also had a small research lab.
Outline for interview day:
In my group there was 16 interviewees. The Assistant Director of Admissions ran the day. She had us introduce ourselves, and explained the schedule for the day. We learned about Touro and how it is a Jewish sponsored school (Jewish holidays are off but most students, 99%, are not Jewish) Talked about living in Nevada, student life and answered some questions. We then had the Dean of the College of Osteopathic Medicine speak to us. He opened the floor to questions.
After we had a break and then our group was split in half. Half went on a tour that was run by two students and the other half stayed for interviews. Interviews were 20 minutes long and you had two faculty members interview you. They asked me why D.O. why Touro, why Nevada then asked me questions from my file. It was mostly conversational for me but they asked me why I had not taken biochem which I did not prepare for.
After the interview we had a financial aid presentation and then the Assistant Director of Admissions explained what happens next after the interview process. Following that we had Jewish pizza (sweet bread and sauce, no meat) for lunch and a Q&A session with 1st and 2nd year students.
The Assistant Director was laid back and she was very receptive to answering any questions you might have. She told us that after the interview she puts together your file and before Friday of that week the admission committee reviews the file. After that, the file and whatever happens during the committee meeting is compiled again and the file is given to the Dean. She tries to have the Yes, No, or Waitlist status back to you by the following Tuesday (8 days) unless there is a holiday where they are off. My group was told that by October 17th (18 days after the interview) we should call if we have not heard anything. The status would be received by email and if accepted you will receive what you have to do next in the mail. We were also told you had one week to respond to the letter from the mail.
tl;dr
Oh well
@vlazlo oh man i stayed right next door to you in the holiday inn express! were you morning or afternoon?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Great info,great post !. Thanks a lot Vlazlo
Really liked the school so I am just doing my best to help out my fellow travelers.
just got this odd email (odd since i submitted my secondary a month ago along with my LORs):
(IWe have received your supplemental application. We will continue processing your application. As a reminder, we require 3 letters of recommendation; 1 from a physician (MD or DO), and 2 from science professors OR 1 committee letter. All letters must be signed and contain the name, title, and contact information of the recommender to be valid. If you are having your letters sent to us electronically, please be sure to follow up to notify us that they are ready for download. You can email us at [email protected]. Please indicate on the subject line "Letter of Recommendations Update" and indicate if you sent your LOR by Interfolio, Virtual Evaluation, mail, and/or TUN's admission application recommender portal. Please note that you are required to submit three letters only. If you feel you have received this message in error, please contact me to verify the status of your letters before having your letters sent again. Thank you for your interest in Touro University Nevada's Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine program. )
(IWe have received your supplemental application. We will continue processing your application. As a reminder, we require 3 letters of recommendation; 1 from a physician (MD or DO), and 2 from science professors OR 1 committee letter. All letters must be signed and contain the name, title, and contact information of the recommender to be valid. If you are having your letters sent to us electronically, please be sure to follow up to notify us that they are ready for download. You can email us at [email protected]. Please indicate on the subject line "Letter of Recommendations Update" and indicate if you sent your LOR by Interfolio, Virtual Evaluation, mail, and/or TUN's admission application recommender portal. Please note that you are required to submit three letters only. If you feel you have received this message in error, please contact me to verify the status of your letters before having your letters sent again. Thank you for your interest in Touro University Nevada's Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine program. )
I got that too and submitted everything in early September.just got this odd email (odd since i submitted my secondary a month ago along with my LORs):
(IWe have received your supplemental application. We will continue processing your application. As a reminder, we require 3 letters of recommendation; 1 from a physician (MD or DO), and 2 from science professors OR 1 committee letter. All letters must be signed and contain the name, title, and contact information of the recommender to be valid. If you are having your letters sent to us electronically, please be sure to follow up to notify us that they are ready for download. You can email us at [email protected]. Please indicate on the subject line "Letter of Recommendations Update" and indicate if you sent your LOR by Interfolio, Virtual Evaluation, mail, and/or TUN's admission application recommender portal. Please note that you are required to submit three letters only. If you feel you have received this message in error, please contact me to verify the status of your letters before having your letters sent again. Thank you for your interest in Touro University Nevada's Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine program. )
Just now I got another, different email saying they don't have my LORs. I guess I have to call indeed, since I can see the interfolio receipt in my email so I def sent themI got that too and submitted everything in early September.
Just now I got another, different email saying they don't have my LORs. I guess I have to call indeed, since I can see the interfolio receipt in my email so I def sent them
I got an email like the first one. When I called, it turned out there was actually an issue with one of my LORs (I sort of expected this, because I had found out from another school that one of my letters wasn't written on a letterhead). So, it's possible they received your letters but won't accept one for one reason or another. I just sent another letter instead and was offered an interview like 2 days later - I've since withdrawn my spot, but that's neither here nor there!
thank you!! there was indeed an issue with one letterI got an email like the first one. When I called, it turned out there was actually an issue with one of my LORs (I sort of expected this, because I had found out from another school that one of my letters wasn't written on a letterhead). So, it's possible they received your letters but won't accept one for one reason or another. I just sent another letter instead and was offered an interview like 2 days later - I've since withdrawn my spot, but that's neither here nor there!
Hey, so I was accepted on Sept 24th, their acceptance paper said I have 2 weeks to put down a deposit from that date. So that would be October 8th? I wasn't sure if that's what they meant so i've tried calling (like 10 times) and I left a message but nobody is picking up. I also wanted to know about extending the deposit date.
If anyone knows the answer it's greatly appreciated, bc I don't want to potentially lose my seat!
If anyone knows the answer it's greatly appreciated, bc I don't want to potentially lose my seat!
I think they are on a Jewish holiday leave today and tomorrow? Check the list of school closure days in the packet from the interview day!Hey, so I was accepted on Sept 24th, their acceptance paper said I have 2 weeks to put down a deposit from that date. So that would be October 8th? I wasn't sure if that's what they meant so i've tried calling (like 10 times) and I left a message but nobody is picking up. I also wanted to know about extending the deposit date.
If anyone knows the answer it's greatly appreciated, bc I don't want to potentially lose my seat!
The holiday sheet said they are off Monday and Tuesday this week, although I am unsure what holiday it is for since Wednesday October 8th at sunset is Sukkot.
Scratch that, I think they gave us a wrong holiday sheet because I called their main line and they said they were open today.
Scratch that, I think they gave us a wrong holiday sheet because I called their main line and they said they were open today.
Tara M. Literally does not pick up her phone...Slightly frustrated I apologize but I've called at least 10 times
http://memecrunch.com/meme/2C98Z/how-dare-you-she-s-a-nice-lady/image.pngTara M. Literally does not pick up her phone...Slightly frustrated I apologize but I've called at least 10 times
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Tara M. Literally does not pick up her phone...Slightly frustrated I apologize but I've called at least 10 times
You mean Tava? I had the complete opposite experience. I called and she fixed the issue I had rather quickly. Very nice lady. In fact, the help I've received from admissions has moved this school higher up my list.
Yeah my interactions with her have been pretty positive.
Try calling the admissions office. 702-777-1750 unless that is the number you are calling.
Thank you! For some reason no one was picking up from the number they provided on the acceptance letter, but that number worked!
Yes, they were very accomadating. I guess there was just a problem with their number? Anyway, relieved
I got exactly the same e-mail as well, even though I submitted my secondary about the same time as you. I sent the e-mail they requested just in case they hadn't been matched up with my file yet. I think I'll call them in a few days just to make sure everything is okay.just got this odd email (odd since i submitted my secondary a month ago along with my LORs):
(IWe have received your supplemental application. We will continue processing your application. As a reminder, we require 3 letters of recommendation; 1 from a physician (MD or DO), and 2 from science professors OR 1 committee letter. All letters must be signed and contain the name, title, and contact information of the recommender to be valid. If you are having your letters sent to us electronically, please be sure to follow up to notify us that they are ready for download. You can email us at [email protected]. Please indicate on the subject line "Letter of Recommendations Update" and indicate if you sent your LOR by Interfolio, Virtual Evaluation, mail, and/or TUN's admission application recommender portal. Please note that you are required to submit three letters only. If you feel you have received this message in error, please contact me to verify the status of your letters before having your letters sent again. Thank you for your interest in Touro University Nevada's Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine program. )
Similar threads
- Replies
- 300
- Views
- 57K
- Replies
- 318
- Views
- 76K
- Replies
- 226
- Views
- 65K
- Replies
- 438
- Views
- 94K
- Replies
- 282
- Views
- 68K