Tucom 2007!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deebee

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone! I was writing to know who's out there enrolling in TUCOM this fall. I wanted to get to know some of my classmates before IT begins. I'm from Washington state and excited about the move to Cali. Is anyone out there form WA?

Members don't see this ad.

deebee,

Congratulations on your acceptance! I doubt I will be attending this fall, but I will be doing everything i can to get picked up from the waitlist for either this years or next years class...

I have had the honor to become close friends with several of your classmates, several current Touro students, and several current interviewees, and the caliber of the students that are associated with this school is amazing..

I am very happy for you and wish you the best!

Brian Enriquez
[email protected]

another tucom link: http://www.studentdoctor.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56857

Hey deebee!

I was in Seattle for undergrad! Did some postbac at Central and now in Yakima. I was accepted at Touro, but b/c of family I've decided to go to COMP. Touro is a great school and I would've loved to go... isn't Dr. Haight the greatest? Did you apply to UW?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all,

My name is Renee and I will be going to TUCOM in the fall. I am moving from Boston, so it will be quite a move for me. You are all more than welcome to email me at [email protected].

Talk soon!
:clap:

I will be attending TUCOM this fall as well. I can't wait to head out that direction. I am not from Washington but did undergrad in Seattle. I am now living in Texas and am so glad I get to attend a great medical school in a place where I can also have access to mountains and ocean.

Brian, I was disappointed to hear that we still don't know for sure if you will be joining us in the fall - It would be great to have someone with your positive outlook and determination as part of the class. I will be thinking good thoughts for you.

Count me in as well.

I'll be moving to SF from Colorado. Can't wait to be near the ocean!

I'm thinking of going out in late May or early June to look for a place to live. Vallejo doesn't have much info on the net and I'm pretty sure I don't want to live on campus. Anybody else planning on living off-campus?

We've still got our fingers crossed that Brian will be joining us!

I'll be there. Moving from Nevada to the Bay Area.

screamineagle, are you the same Renee that emailed me back in August?

Congratulations to everyone.

Justin

Hi everyone,

I will also be joining the Class of 2007!! Can't wait to put some faces with the names I've been seeing. For those of you that are moving in from out of the area, please feel free to PM me with any questions. I have lived in the Bay Area for about 12 years so I can hopefully answer some questions. I currently live about an hour and 15 from campus in the wine town of Healdsburg (Napa's got nothing on us), so let me know if you want to take a wine tasting tour. I would be happy to play host.

Hey, maysqrd:

I thought I'd post this publicly because other people might be interested.

What do you know about Benicia? I've been looking at the possibility of living there. I understand rents there are comparable to Vallejo.

Any good housing info sources for this area that you know of?

Thanks in advance!

I will also be attending in August and I am very excited about it. I have also been living in the bay area for the last 12 years or so and currently live in San Rafael, about 30 min or less from TOURO. Feel free to email me if you have any local questions and I will try to help out. I have never lived in Benicia but the student who gave our tour lives there and had great things to say about the area, ie safe etc... I don't know the rents but I would guess that its pretty similar to Vallejo. The best deal is definitly campus housing if you can get it but I have heard the housing does have its quirks, so try to ask someone who is a current student about it. There are a few who troll these halls. Personally I would ask the school as they are very helpful and have heard all these questions before. I would be happy to meet any and all of you before school starts and show you around a bit to get your bearings. Maybe we can even have a BBQ at my house close to when school starts. Anyway, I look forward to meeting you all. Enjoy the time you have off before school starts because as I heard a presenter say last night, "you have to be prepared to do the equivelent of a masters degree avery semester" so we have our work cut out for us. See you all soon. Sean Moloney.

Benecia is better than Vallejo for safer neighborhoods. It is actually just east of Vallejo out 780. The trick to housing is 1) figure out traffic patterns. You could live 25 miles away one direction and have the same commute time as someone that live 10 miles away in another direction just from traffic. 2) Watch what side of the toll bridges you are living on. The towns of Hercules, etc. are not far from campus and you would have a reverse commute for traffic but you would have to cross the Carquinez toll bridge everyday.

Depending on the rent scale that most of you are looking for, you might find Vallejo or Benecia to be too expensive. If you are willing to drive about 15 extra minutes you can lower your rent considerably by living in either Napa (out Highway 29 which lands right into Touro's back door) or up I-80 and live in either Fairfield or Vacaville. My brother was renting a place in Vacaville for a while and he felt the rent there was really cheap. I have friends that are looking to buy a place in Napa because it is still pretty affordable.

I would recommend that everyone get a road atlas or at least a good road map of California. Speaking of which, I just got a new Rand McNally Road Atlas and we are official!! TUCOM is on the map!

The classifieds can be reached online at
www.napanews.com
www.vacavillenews.com
www.vallejonews.com
www.oaklandtribune.com
www.sfchronicle.com

Hope that helps.

Thanks, maysqrd & sean!

I think I'm going to pass on the on-campus housing, honestly. No facilities are available on the island and it'll be all I can do to stomach looking at the rusted shipyards during the day, let alone the night <G>.

I had pretty well eliminated Napa as I had heard it was too $$$ but I'm going to look into it again. I had also heard that Fairfield/Vacaville was a long drive because I80 was too heavy at times.

I'm also looking forward to meeting everybody. I'm enjoying the time off from school and am really looking forward to quitting my job in May and taking some time off. Hope everybody else gets a chance to take a break before IT starts.

Thanks again!

I heard that TUCOM chicks don't shave, is that true?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you kidding? The prospect of OMM has motivated me to not only hit the gym, but also to consider laser hair removal. I couldn't stand being known as "the hairy chick"... ACH.

Waxing, tweezing, Nair.....whatever it takes.

Actually there is one good thing about OMM. I have a genetic predisposition for lots of moles and freckles on my skin. Several family members have had some basil cell carcinoma and I have already had to have a few questionable moles removed in the last year. It is kind of nice being able to have someone other than myself being able to look at moles on my back that I can't see very easily.

Then there is good out of OMM after all, who knew

I assume everyone that replied here is going to TUCOM and is excited about it. Introductions would be nice. My name is Donald (screen name deebee) and I've lived in WA all my life and looking forward to the change.

Hello All in TUCOM class of 2007!
Geez, I feel like the slacker, just now joining the group. The funny thing is that on the first day of class we'll need to introduce ourselves by our code names. Ha. Anywho, my name is Teri. I've been an East Coaster for 4 years attending the Univ. of Richmond but I was raised in Texas. After this winter that has hit the East(Renee will understand), I'm REALLY glad to be headed to SF! I hear the weather is quite nice. (Is that true maysqrd?!)
There's a lot of talk about living off campus. Anyone planning on making the mysterious Mare Island home?
Ok, so I don't know where this rumor came from (GIBNA!) about TUCOM chicks and shaving, but let's just say that I now am groaning about OMM because I HATE to shave and only do it when necessary, so the real question is whether or not I will deem OMM as "necessary". Ha. But hey, at least I warned you. But the question I want to throw out is : what's all this "chick" shaving business??? TUCOM guys, what about you?! Do YOU shave often? Maybe we can have a stand-off on shaving....guys v. girls. Wouldn't that be a classic trademark of 07.....hey, might as well enter with style, eh?
Alrighty, looking forward to further conversing with you all!

Okay so first myth about California weather, yes it does get cold and it DOES RAIN in the bay area BUT compared to the rest of the country this place is like heaven. Around the bay you have a million different microclimates and it will be 74 in SF on a nice day and 95 where I live and then somewhere in between as you get closer to the water. Essentially the water is what keeps the climate from getting too cold in the winter and too hot in the summer so living on the Island is going to be really good weather all the way around. So while the east coast was suffering this last storm, we were playing golf. :laugh:

You have the ocean at your disposal and if you need the snow, just hit I-80 and Lake Tahoe is just a couple of hours away. Drive 30 minutes north and you are sitting in the heart of the wine country. Drive 30 minutes south of campus and you are sitting in my seats at the baseball game.

I am actually going to try and get a dorm room on campus due to commute distances. My house is an hour away when there is no traffic but during commute hours, it would take me more like 3 hours to get home. I refuse to relocate my family and sell my house (if you saw where I lived you'd understand) so getting a dorm room and going home on the weekends is my best option.

Oh, yeah, screen name maysqrd, better known as Brenda.

LOL. Regarding the shaving issue, I gotta tell you that I don't think I'm shaving my goatee for anything so everyone will have to get used to it. And I'm NOT shaving my legs, so don't even ask (trust me, it's better that way. They look tan from a distance until you get up close and see that it's just hair...)

I don't know if I'm gonna live solo, rent a room, or get a roommate. I guess that'll depend on how $$ the rent is.

Macken.......aka Ken

Hey glory taker,

After calculating the cost of a room, utilities, food, etc. it will cost me about $1000 per month or more to live off the island anyway. You can also share a dorm room and that makes it even cheaper. I have a really tight budget for next year and need to have fixed utilities and meals. I won't be paying for fuel for the car if I'm on the island and I shouldn't need to pay for high speed internet access if I am able to go to the library with just a short walk. I won't need a telephone since I use my cell phone for everything anyway and I won't have to worry about paying for utilities for a room that I won't be using on the weekends anyway. The dorm plan is actually in my best interest but probably most important, I'm NOT a morning person and I don't want to have to take more than 5 minutes to get to class in the morning. My current commute is 40 minutes and I have learned that being in class at 8 AM is a REALLY big challenge for me.

Hey, since real estate seems to be the topic of the evening, what do you guys think about the on-campus houses? Dean H mentioned the possibility of sharing a house with some people and then you wouldn't be subject to the food plan. Is that still an option? Any thoughts?

My name is Terra. I will be looking for off campus housing. I think My husband and I have been spoiled by the cost of living in Texas! We are currently preparing to sell our house here - not a fun process as the market is bad. I am excited though to escape the fire ants and be back in that part of the world.

Hey everyone-

Well, I had planned on living on campus, as I thought that was the cheapest route. I also thought that it would be easier since I am coming from the East Coast and wouldn't be bringing a car. However, after reading everyone's posts, I'm having second thoughts. I know that some schools help you find apartments, roommates and such. Does TUCOM help you with this?

Looking forward to meeting everyone!
Renee

Hi glorytaker,

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I know that it might seem a little weird but I actually do want to be on the island and if I can find someone else to cook for me, all the better! I don't mind kosher food, I am an avid cook and know that kosher is sometimes the best way to eat.

Anyway, you have to remember that I have the luxury (and the burden) of a mortgage, property taxes and a home to go to on the weekends so I don't need a second home, just a place to crash after studying. Making one payment at the beginning of the year for all of my housing and food would be a blessing after managing the household budget for the last 12 years. So after considering those priorities, having a dorm room would be the perfect fit.

Hey you crazy decepticon,

Get me into your school and I will room with you and pay for your rent!

Brian

Yeah, I'm with Renee wondering how TUCOM helps out with roommates and housemates. Moving from quite a distance, I really want to live on campus so I don't have to scout another place and so I'll be close to things. Hopefully TUCOM will send us some information soon. Isn't a mailing supposed to go out by the end of March?

Teri

Hi Teri,

I spoke with Shantel in the housing office last week. She said they don't have pricing yet (or just can't release it) but that the application and info was supposed to go out in an email notice toward the end of this month via the listbot.

Brenda

Megatron, I mean, Glorytaker,

Dave and I took the tour today... we poked our heads into your neuroscience class, but I didnt see you either... Dave interviews tomorrow, so bring a camera to school tomorrow so you can take a picture of him in a nice suit. Wish him luck for me if you see him...

I, like Brenda, am I homeowner, and my wife is a first year law student in Sacramento, so I probably will end up commuting if/when I get into Touro... Nonetheless, i will pay for your rent if you can get me in!!

Brian

Hey Brian, by the way, when did you interview and which waiting list are you on? The high one? I know how it feels because I was waitlisted for AZCOM.

Renee, that's pretty far moving from Boston. You said you won't be bringing a car? If you have one, you probably should bring it in case on campus housing doesn't work out.

Has anyone seen the apartments on campus? How are they inside?

deebee,

here is how my journey towards touro has gone so far...

May 30, 2002 : Clicked send on my AACOMAS application, which I sent to Western and Touro. Touro is my first choice because my wife is a first year law student in Sacramento, and although she has offered to quit and move to wherever I get in, I really knew even back then that Touro would be an excellenct fit for me.

June 21, 2002: Secondary/application file application completed at Touro

So now that my application was complete at my top choice school, I went and found a new job and sat on my Western secondary...

December 2, 2002: Secondary/application file completed at Western

Since Summer turned to Fall turned to Winter, and I heard nothing from Touro, I assumed nothing would come of my application this cycle then

December 10, 2002: Invited via telephone to interview at Westerm. Interview scheduled for January 21, 2003.

So now i was running around like a chicken with my head cut off, so excited that a school thinks i have what it takes to be a physician some day... After collapsing from exhaustion a new thought came into my head... If Western thinks i am good enough to interview, then should Touro want to interview me to?? I then began a quest to earn an interview at Touro... After some research and emails and such...

December 19, 2002: Via email I was informed that I had been awarded an interview, and that my official invitation would be sent either that day or the next, and to follow the enclosed intructions.

Looking back, this is probably one of the "George McFly does or doesn't kiss Lorraine" moments... I should have called the next morning and scheduled my interview, but instead, I waited for my mail.... waited, and waited, and waited... Christmas then New years passed... Finally on January 6, 2003, my patience expired and I emailed Touro to find out the status of my official invitation... Found out that is had not been sent yet, that it would be sent out that day.. Got it in the mail the next day...

January 7, 2003: Called Touro, scheduled for the next earliest open spot, March 4th, 2003.

I asked if it would be ok to call on a weekly basis to see if any cancellations opened an earlier interview day, and I was told it was ok to do so, and that if anything opened up, that they would call me... As the weeks passed, I recuited the help of SDN and several people offered me their interview spots at Touro because they had gotten into their first choice school, but I was never granted an earlier day.

Between January and March, I took several tours of the school, talked to first, second, and third years as well as graduates... I helped other people prepared for their Touro interviews... Then finally my day came.

March 4th, 2003: Interviewed at Touro... just did ok

March 7th, 2003: Notified via email that I was low waitlisted

Everyday since then, doing everything I can to get picked up off the waitlist or secure a seat in next years class.

I don't want to move back to LA, but if Western says yes, how can I so no? I have met so may cool people from that institution as well, and I know I would excell and contribute there as well, but i just hate to think what will happen to my family life as I know it...

I am at a huge crossroad right now... I want medicine so bad, I really wanted it to happen at Touro, so to preserve my family unit as much as possible... I have so many responsibilities, first and foremost to my family, to my community, to my friends and family... who knows how this is all going to turns out.. I know I will be an osteopath someday, it just seems that there is very little i can do to make it happen this year... ugh

That's my story... All comments, questions, and concerns are welcome!

Brian Enriquez
[email protected]

Brenda, thanks for the housing update. So I've heard several mention about the housing for 1st years being "few and far between." I was under the impression from Dean H that housing on campus was available if you want it, but SDNers seem to have a totally different idea of this....am I way off? What honestly are my chances of living on campus, one in a million?! I guess I'll just wait to see what comes my way via email. I appreciate all the advice!

Teri

Brian I can understand your frustration about the whole process. I applied to three schools- AZCOM, COMP, and TUCOM. This was my order of choices. I interviewed at all, waitlisted for AZCOM and rejected from COMP and accepted into Touro. The other schools, I have a lot of family around those areas so I was a little disappointed, but I have a few friends in the bay area, so it wasn't totally bad.

So whereever your education takes you follow it and enjoy. The fact that you're married you'll have the support from your wife, so keep positive. You'll eventually get where you want to be.

I think we're supposed to get a lot of info toward the end of March (housing, immunizations, physical, etc)

I hope their housing office is a good resource. I am definitely not living on campus and I'm kind of at a loss to what other directions they can point me in. I've thought about maybe renting a basement somewhere. I'm 36. Aren't people my age supposed to be upsizing by now? LOL

I also have a house to sell here in Denver and hope it will sell in time for the move. It wouldn't be fun to have to carry the mortgage here and rent a place in the Bay Area....

I have figured it out and I can get to campus on Wednesday this week. I will take my digital camera and take pictures of what I can for everybody that is considering on-campus housing. From what I have been told in years past, all that wanted to be housed on the island were able to get housing so hopefully that is a positive. The only exception is that they are no longer able to provide married housing, so it is for singles only. As MSI's we will get the bottom of the list because the 4th years get first pick for housing and from what I have heard from other current students, the townhouses go first and the studios and dorms will probably be the only thing left over for us newbies.

On one of my visits I stayed with a student who lived in one of the townhouses. It is old military housing in every sense of the word. If it was cold outside, it was colder inside. She said that they are too expensive for the school to heat so most folks use space heaters. There is also a concern about the lead based paint risk and I think waivers have to be signed. I don't know if the dorms or studios have the same issues. Of course on campus housing's biggest benefit is that 5 minute commute to class.

I have never heard of the paint issue but you are right about the heating bills in the townhouses. Several students have passed along information that it will cost $1000 per month in the winter to heat those townhouses so most use space heaters. I don't know about the heating in the studios as a space heater could heat the entire place so that would be a good alternative for lower costs, on the flip side it is one reason for rooming in the dorms as all utilities should be included. I will ask about the paint and see what else I can find out on Wednesday when I go on my tour of housing.

Brenda

Brenda,
Thanks for doing some scouting! All the info is very helpful.

Hey Tess, what was your impression of the student housing? I didn't get a chance to look into them when I was there. Did anyone else get to see the on campus housing?

Hi all,

Just had my visit to campus. I will upload the pictures to a web page for those of you to get to as soon as my husband comes home with the camera (he needed it for something else this afternoon). Anyway, I will give you as much info (as I remember it) as I can but remember that even I may have misinterpreted what I was told. Which brings me to my first observation, most of what you hear about oncampus housing, although may in truth be accurate, it is very much misleading.

The townhouses are old military. I couldn't get inside one of them because they are all occupied and they can't let you tour anything that is being used by a current student. These are definately the "choice" piece of real estate for on-campus housing. They are within a short walk to class and parking seems ample. One of the biggest misconceptions about the townhouses is the heating. YES, it did cost student $1000 per month to heat the places BUT it cost EVERYBODY $1000 per month to heat their houses. This occured while the big utility price wars were going on with PG&E. Gas prices aren't much better today so if you think you will pay a lot to heat those places, you will pay a very similar price for off-campus housing in terms of utilities unless you are living in an extremely energy efficient house.

The studios are about 9x16 feet according to Shantel in housing and have a small bathroom and kitchen. She indicated that the bathrooms in the dorms were in fact bigger than the ones in the studios and so were some of the dorm rooms. The studios are over the garages behind the townhouses and so they are ALL upstairs.

Another misconception was regarding the old houses that some students were kicked out of. Yes students were kicked out of them but not for reasons that the school really had a lot of control over. The island developer was considering building new homes on this location and as a result those houses were torn down (they do not exist any more). Further more, there was an issue with the married students with children living in those houses. We all need to remember that this school is in fact on an old military base and when I say old the term "older than dirt" applies here. There is a concern with lead and other metals in the ground. ABSOLUTELY NO ONE is allowed to disturb the soil on the island with out permission. That means no gardens, no pets AND NO CHILDREN. The lead levels were of a concern for small children and since the students with kids were living in these houses, that was a large part of why they were not renewed by the city.

PLEASE remember to take everything I say with a grain of salt!! I am not the official authority on the housing and as such you really need to contact the housing office with all of your questions. As for the lead issue. NO, we do not sign waivers but we are made aware of everything on the island of concern when we sign our housing contract. On a positive note, Shantel said that the dorms were just tested and the lead was in fact found to be with in safe limits.

Okay so I need to take my daughter to gymnastics at the moment and I will continue with all that I learned about the dorms in a little while.

Brenda

Okay back from gymnastics.

On with the rest that I learned today. Basically, there are a lot of restriction that affect the school. The no pet policy is one of these issues. As I mentioned in my above post, pets (such as dogs) can disturb the soil and that is a big no no. The other reason is that there is some kind of wildlife status on the island. As a result, outside pet are not allowed on the island (in case your cat eats some protected species in the wildlife preserve I guess???)

The dorms are in the BOQ right up the hill from the lecture hall. Someone hopefully pointed them out during your interview. It literally takes 2 minutes to get to class. It seemed to me that they have not opened them up before now because there hasn't been enough students living on campus to fill all the housing and still have a high enough need to remodel the dorms. There are 45 rooms with both doubles and singles. Each room has its own bathroom and yes, they are in fact all that ugly orange color seen on the TUCOM website (sorry). They come with bed, dressers and a small computer desk/center. Some rooms have double rooms with one bed in one room and another bed in the other room but you do have to cross thru the 2nd room to get to the bathroom. The building is old. I heard words like Spanish-American war and that kind of brought it home just how old some of these buildings are and why they are historical landmarks.

Some questions that I know that have been brought up with respect to the dorms. No, you can't have microwaves in the rooms or hot plates BUT there is a common room with microwaves in it and they are tentatively planning on having vending machines in this room. There is a front desk and on the 1st floor is a large lounge/study room with chairs, etc. This is supposed to be designated as a quiet room. There is also a rec room off the lounge with a ping pong table, billiards and darts, etc. There are two wings and each wing has two stories. The dorms are about 50 yards from the student union which is where the cafeteria will be. They have not found it to be economical to have the cafeteria open until the dorms had students in them so that is why there is no cafeteria yet.

Shantel mentioned that they will try to have a girls wing and guys wing and they will also try to put all the med school people together on one floor and PA students on another so as to be able to keep people rooming next to each other on the same schedules. Laundry is in the basement. I have pending question out about internet connection for the dorms and Shantel will call me once she has an answer from MIS. The housing info for pricing and such doesn't look like it will be available until sometime after April 1st.

In my honest opinion, I wasn't overly impressed with the dorms but I was adequately satisfied. They have provided all the essentials and if aesthetics were of that big of a concern to me then I wouldn't have chosen to go to a school on an old navy base to begin with. Then again I used to live in an old victorian that had electrical wiring and plumbing that predated WWII so maybe my standards aren't as high as others.

For those of you that are single and are moving in from outside the area, I still think on-campus housing is a great deal and it will require less effort on your parts to relocate. The dorms won't be that bad once they are filled with stressed out med students, PA students and law students :)

In summary, if you want inexpensive housing and you don't mind antiques, then on-campus is for you. If you want modern and new, then I wouldn't live on campus because it probably will not be to your standards. Remember this is only my opinion and not all the info that I have relayed may be completely accurate so for more information contact the housing office.

Hope that helped and I will send pics to anybody that wants them, just email me at [email protected]

Brenda

PS- saw Dr. H today and we will be getting some correspondence soon.

May may--
Did you get to check out the anatomy lab? Is there a locker room there for us to change into scrubs before lab? Also, did you get a good look at the gym? What kinds of equipment are there? (You know, still trying to get rid of the dreaded back fat:D ! jj) Mainly just weights or are there tread mills/other cardio?

Also, what about wireless internet in the lecture halls/library?

Maybe I need to go take the campus tour.

Thanks,
Zippy

Brenda,
Thanks for the housing report.

Does anyone know how available the studios are to First Years? And are they single living quarters, each with their own kitchen?

~Teri

Zippy, I would definitely advise a tour. Anyway, there is a T1 connection in the library and I am not sure where else, there is a small pool that is currently not filled but is supposed to be filled by August, a regular gymnasium, and a small weight room that is very sparse in equipment. There are also fooseball tables, table tennis, and a pool table for all those minutes that you won't be in class. Sean.

Let's see, in order:
I don't know if there is a locker room per say but I do know that there are lockers for your stuff down the hallway from the lecture hall, across from the computer lab. The bathrooms are located right next to the door to the anatomy lab (some students have needed the closeness of these facilities after their first anatomy class).

The gym isn't like 24-hr fitness by any means. Most of the equipment was more free weights with some stationary bikes, rowing equipment and I think I remember a treadmill but don't quote me on it. The gymnasium is like 10 feet from the lecture hall and the ping pong and fooseball table are just around the corner from the lecture hall and gymnasium. I believe there are tennis courts some where close by as well. Take note, the gym is right outside the lecture hall and has glass walls (everyone can see you).

No wireless at this point, just the connections in the library.

As far as the studios, it is my understanding that there will be some studios available but who knows how many. It just depends on how fast they get taken up by other students. I know several first years that are currently in the studios. They are for singles only because they are too small for more than one person. They do have small kitchens in them but I don't think they have laundry (I heard the washing machines going while I was in the BOQ today and saw someone's laundry waiting to be washed, so this might be where you do your laundry). I do not know how much utilities cost for the studios.

The golf course is practically close enough to hit if you teed off from the front door of the dorms. I will be bringing my clubs if anyone cares to join me for a round of 18 and if you've never golfed before, it is a really good stress reliever to go to the driving range.

I also noticed a sports complex down Walnut Ave. You pass it on your way to the campus. I don't know what this is but it was called Pacific Sports Center or something like that and I am wondering if this is an indoor sports complex since the building looked large enough.

As a side note for those of you trying to get an idea of space. The studios are the equivalent size of a single car garage. The single dorm rooms were about 10x12 and some of the larger rooms were like 12x16. Another student that I know who was able to tour the townhouses said they were roomy so interpret that for what you might think.

Brenda, thanks for posting those pictures. What was your impression of the townhouses? How much do they cost to rent?

Glorytaker, were you a transformer fan? I took notice of the decepticon symbol.

glorytaker,
If you have transformers on display in your place, it can only be endearing. Plus, they've gotta be worth something by now!

hey, do you know if the studios provide furniture?

In the past the townhouses have been $1400 per unit and depending on if there are 1, 2 or 3 will dictate the price. If you share it with 2 other students then I believe it will be $467 per month plus utilities and food.

I am pretty sure you must provide your own furniture (including washers and dryers) for either townhouses or studios. The only units that provide the furniture are the dorms.

I never actually got inside the townhouses but they looked pretty decent for on-campus housing. You could definately find something newer off-campus but the townhouses are sufficient for college student needs and they seem pretty good size, bigger than say most apts these days. I would really call them more like duplexes, as that is what they really are. They have backyards for BBQ's, etc. The studios were described to me to be on the small side (smaller than the dorm rooms in some cases since the dorm rooms vary in size).

"Transformers, more than meets the eye!" Oh, my god I can't believe I remember that theme song. I am getting too old to remember those cartoons aren't I? But then who am I kidding, GO SPONGEBOB!!! He has my med school theme song, "I'm ready, I'm ready, I'm ready!"