TUCOM-CA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I will do this first thing tomm

There is no easy answer to your question because you won't be doing rotations for another two years. Touro is focusing on getting more Bay Area rotations and less everywhere else. The 'Bay Area' is a big place and it is likely you will have to move if you live on the island. There closest rotations are at the Touro clinic (5 miles away), Fairfield/Vacaville and Napa (15-20 miles away), Santa Rosa (50 miles), and then some all over the Bay Area (Sacramento, Salinas, Turlock, Fresno).

There are a variable number of spots at each site and there is a lottery system (with an exemption system) that puts you at these rotation spots. This may change by the time you start rotations.

Info about rotations will be updated on the TU Student Life forums at www.tustudentlife.com/forums

Feel free to ask questions on there as you will get answers from real Touro students.

Members don't see this ad.

Interview Invite! 3.3 sgpa and 25P MCAT, so I was very surprised and relieved to have gotten at least one invite

Hi!
My stats are similar to yours and I am curious to know about your ECs if you don't mind sharing. Are you nontrad? Postbacc? Worked in health care field?
Thanks for considering my request.

Hi!
My stats are similar to yours and I am curious to know about your ECs if you don't mind sharing. Are you nontrad? Postbacc? Worked in health care field?
Thanks for considering my request.

3.34 sGPA 25R MCAT here. I got the invite (also my first) a couple of days ago. I have all 3 above. 780+ hours working in the ED as a scribe, 20 (going on 34) post bacc credits at a 4.0, and graduated 4 years ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
3.34 sGPA 25R MCAT here. I got the invite (also my first) a couple of days ago. I have all 3 above. 780+ hours working in the ED as a scribe, 20 (going on 34) post bacc credits at a 4.0, and graduated 4 years ago.

I'm also an ED scribe and have been on a couple interviews thinking this would set me apart from a lot of the applicants, but it seems that it's not as special as I as hoping it would be (I've met 5 other scribes through this haha).... they didn't even ask about it at my TUCOM CA interview, and I wish I would have found a way to work it in. :/ Just think about a unique way to make your experience stand out from all the fellow scribes out there :p

Someone on last year's thread got on Priceline and got a sweet deal:

I stayed at the Courtyard Marriot for $65 per night as opposed to the $130ish that they advertise. The night before I left I went to priceline for the 'name your own price.' I chose the section for Vallejo and chose 3-star hotel. The Courtyard is the only 3-star hotel in the Vallejo section. Then I started with $50/night and went up to $65 until they finally accepted that price.

Well, I didn't think it would work, but here's proof. Got it for $60+taxes=$75.98

FjK6n.png

I've never used priceline before, but it's not a bad way to go if you're flexible... (This is coming from the most-prepared anal traveler here, 22 countries and counting)

Thanks danny!

Someone on last year's thread got on Priceline and got a sweet deal:

Well, I didn't think it would work, but here's proof. Got it for $60+taxes=$75.98

FjK6n.png

I've never used priceline before, but it's not a bad way to go if you're flexible... (This is coming from the most-prepared anal traveler here, 22 countries and counting)

Way to go! I paid $110 (which was the interviewee price) last year when I interviewed.

For those wondering about which airport to go to and which hotels to stay at, here's my opinion and take on it:

• For airport, go to OAK over SFO (if possible). Oakland will be a lot closer (about 30-40 mins) as opposed to SFO (which can take over 3 hours in traffic). I drove for my interview last year, but now leave to and from OAK whenever I need to go home.
    • Buy your plane tickets on a Tuesday or Wednesday for whatever day you're coming in. I've wanted to buy tickets before and checked the prices on Sunday then on Tuesday for the same flight -- saved 1/3 on the price by waiting.
  • For hotels, I pricelined mine a few days or so (maybe even day of, I honestly don't remember too well) before I got there and got a really good deal on the Courtyard Marriot. I always use priceline anyways -- and it comes out really cheap when there's no holidays around the corner.
Hope this helps a little with saving you costs on traveling for these things.

Thanks for that. I'll be using Priceline a lot more, especially when I have tripadvisor.com and SDN interview feedback up at the same time.

Flights are always most expensive on the busy "businessman" days: Monday as they head out, Friday, and Sunday as they head back. Tues/Wed/Thur and a lot of times Saturdays are always cheapest :)

[*]For hotels, I pricelined mine a few days or so (maybe even day of, I honestly don't remember too well) before I got there and got a really good deal on the Courtyard Marriot. I always use priceline anyways -- and it comes out really cheap when there's no holidays around the corner.

Remember, you have to pay $5 each way if you stay anywhere South of Vallejo, and plus, I was cheated once before by Ramada( which is mostly reliable), for the NSU-COM interview, they asked me to pay $10 each night for "hotel management fees" on top of what I already paid online....

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys
those who got the secondary app for this school, how long did it take for you to get it?
Everytime I call the operator won't let me speak to anyone and just keep giving me Lynn Huckle's email...and she hasn't responded. It's been 3 weeks since I sent my aacomas to them and I do meet their requirements.

Two weeks to get the secondary. I emailed Lynn directly instead of calling; she took care of everything fairly quickly.

Could anyone currently enrolled at TUCOM-CA in the MSMHS program comment on their experience? I am applying to both the DO program and the masters program and I am really excited about the possibility of participating in research with local top universities especially in the area of diabetes. Please comment on the curriculum, the courses and the process for applying into the DO program upon successful completion of requirements. Thanks. :)

I just interviewed there yesterday, and this is what I know: The MPH program is another 18,000. You apply once you've been accepted, but really is more of an opt-in or opt-out. There's a combined 70 students between MPH students, DO/MPH, and PA/MPH. It's a flexible 30 units. A lot of folks do 15 the summer right before first semester, and then another 15 during the summer between first and second years.

Why don't you call and find out?

Last edited:
The committee will meet on Thursday for the past two weeks' interviewees, and letters will go out Friday! Also, to those of us that interviewed on 11/21, 11/22, 11/28, or 11/29, make sure you email Dr. Haight to opt in to receiving the acceptance/waitlist/rejection email that gets sent out that day instead of waiting for snail mail. Good luck!

I just interviewed there yesterday, and this is what I know: The MHS program is another 18,000. You apply once you've been accepted, but really is more of an opt-in or opt-out. There's a combined 70 students between MPH students, DO/MPH, and PA/MPH. It's a flexible 30 units. A lot of folks do 15 the summer right before first semester, and then another 15 during the summer between first and second years.

Why don't you call and find out?

I don't think Dr Curitas was referring to the dual DO/MPH program they mentioned during the interview day. MSMHS and MPH are two different things.

I was way off, you're right. I read "masters" and ran with it.

I just got the interview invite. I am debating whether to attend or not (I've spent a lot and taken a lot of time off of work already for interviews). This is my first California (my home state) interview, but the tuition and cost of living is higher than the other schools ive interviewed at. Can anbody who has interviewed at multiple schools tell me how Touro CA compares?

Thank you!

Sorry, I actually can't be of much help, but I wanted to ask you a question. Around when was your application complete at Touro-CA? I'm still waiting to hear back from them since submitting my secondary in early October. I haven't attended many other interviews, but my advice would be to definitely check out the school and go to as many interviews as you can because you never know. One school that might not be high on your list, might wow you at the interview day :]

I just got the interview invite. I am debating whether to attend or not (I've spent a lot and taken a lot of time off of work already for interviews). This is my first California (my home state) interview, but the tuition and cost of living is higher than the other schools ive interviewed at. Can anbody who has interviewed at multiple schools tell me how Touro CA compares?

Thank you!

would it be too late to submit the secondary?

I has to be sent through snail mail correct?

would it be too late to submit the secondary?

I has to be sent through snail mail correct?

I think most people found it easiest to send it through snail mail because the supplemental is a weird format. I typed right on the supplemental, printed it, scanned it back in and sent it as a PDF only because I wanted to get it in asap and I live across the country

:eek: WOW. i had my interview 11/29. dr haight came in, spoke to us about the campus and do program. then this guy came in and told us about mph. annoying. had the tour and student tour guide said the place was ok....not to live outside of school property. said profs scared of livin in vallejo. i got a bad feeling alrdy. got to interviews - 3 of us men and 2 women. mine went pretty good. got the easy questions. know ill get in. got into azcom and other do schools that are sig better than tucom. felt bad for this chick in my interview group. she had the hardest questions out of all of us and the phd guy hemler? hemmel? hermle? grilled her like a beast. felt mad bad for her but she came thru. he gave her a piece of paper with 2 paragraphs or somethin, told her to read it, then tell us other interviewees wat she said. then she had to reply what she would do. he cut her off. pretty rude but that chick seemed calm. woudltt be surprised if she didnt get in cause the md lady and phd were mad rough on her. i thin kshe deserves to get in. she can take my spot. id be crappin in my pants if they treated me like that. o and get this WE DIDNT HAVE A DO INTERVIEW US BUT A MD! some manmood lady.wasnt impressed wit her or touro. see ya'll at azcom if u guys decide to go there!! :laugh:

Last edited:
:eek: WOW. i had my interview 11/29. dr haight came in, spoke to us about the campus and do program. then this guy came in and told us about mph. annoying. had the tour and student tour guide said the place was ok....not to live outside of school property. said profs scared of livin in vallejo. i got a bad feeling alrdy. got to interviews - 3 of us men and 2 women. mine went pretty good. got the easy questions. know ill get in. got into azcom and other do schools that are sig better than tucom. felt bad for this chick in my interview group. she had the hardest questions out of all of us and the phd guy hemler? hemmel? hermle? grilled her like a beast. felt mad bad for her but she came thru. he gave her a piece of paper with 2 paragraphs or somethin, told her to read it, then tell us other interviewees wat she said. then she had to reply what she would do. he cut her off. pretty rude but that chick seemed calm. woudltt be surprised if she didnt get in cause the md lady and phd were mad rough on her. i thin kshe deserves to get in. she can take my spot. id be crappin in my pants if they treated me like that. o and get this WE DIDNT HAVE A DO INTERVIEW US BUT A MD! some manmood lady.wasnt impressed wit her or touro. see ya'll at azcom if u guys decide to go there!! :laugh:

I hope you don't speak as awfully as you write. I feel mad bad for ya. But seriously, what's the point in school bashing and bragging?

i have a feeling they always pick one student to grill on, on my panel interview, they also picked on student to ask wierdest question ever...

I'll be interviewing on Dec. 13th! This is my second interview invite. It seems a bit late, but then again I did send in my application pretty late.

Could anyone give me an idea of what types of questions they asked? Feel free to PM me. I'm quite nervous.

I'll be interviewing on Dec. 13th! This is my second interview invite. It seems a bit late, but then again I did send in my application pretty late.

Could anyone give me an idea of what types of questions they asked? Feel free to PM me. I'm quite nervous.

Listen, keep your cool. Usually there's always one person that'll play the confrontational type in your interview (either a student or a faculty), just to see how you would react. Keep your cool and let your passions for medicine shine through.

The typical questions that are always asked are: something specific and notable in your application or personal statement (so review it), Why D O (Know this one), Why medicine (know this one too).

Other than that watch out for Dr. Hermel, he especially like to ask weird questions, but for his questions there are no right or wrong, he just like to see how you react when there's a question out in left field.

And no, you're not late in the game, the interview last year went to May!

I was just accepted today after what I thought wasn't the greatest interview I had. None of us were straight out asked why DO or Touro. Why DO was asked more indirectly based off student's experiences. We all were asked very specific questions about our applications. So reread and reread your application, both ACCOMAS and secondary. I felt in my interview they focused on one person a lot. She had an interesting background. I didn't take physiology or anatomy and they emphasized how most students struggle if they don't take it. So by the end I wasn't feeling that great. It is definitely not the most stressful either and not the most relaxed. A few situational questions were asked. One was about stress. Just try to be yourself and relax as much as possible! Good luck!

^ same here, i received the acceptance letter via mail today.
i thought the interview didn't go so well, all my answers were short, and i didn't think i answered them sufficiently, but i guess they liked me somehow...:D
well, i am very happy, its close to my home and its a great school...

1. what motivates you to become a doctor?
2. what will be your greatest challenge in medical school?
3. what kind of doctor do you want to be (specialty)?
4. How would you respond to people around you or in the professional world that considers DO as a secondhand to MD?
5. Describe your task at work, volunteer etc you are currently participating in.
out of the three interviewers one of them definately ask you difficult questions, remain calm, think and answer..
hope this helps.

In my group of 8, so far 4 of us have communicated our status:
1 accepted (UC Berkeley student)
1 high waitlist (UC grad with a MPH)
1 mid waitlist (CSU Chico)
and 1 low waitlist (Idaho resident).

I think I'm seeing the trend here, though I can't be sure since only half my interview day group has responded. I was the low waitlist. I thought I put out a strong showing, but reflecting on my answers, I was honest and told them I would love to return to my native Idaho and practice in my community, which is probably not what they wanted to hear. That, or my red flags ended up hurting me. Oh well, I thought the school was nice and the bay area would have been excellent to live in.

I also interviewed on 11/29 and got an acceptance yesterday! And my letter came in the mail today! I'm very excited to go to Touro!

Your writing speaks more about you than Touro. Why did you spend money and time applying to a school that you don't even like? I was at the same interview and I love every second of it. Good luck with AZCOM!

Your writing speaks more about you than Touro. Why did you spend money and time applying to a school that you don't even like? I was at the same interview and I love every second of it. Good luck with AZCOM!

Couldn't have said it better myself. It was pretty disappointing to read that post, because I had such an incredible time that day. I still have my fingers crossed that everyone from my interview group got accepted. They all seemed pretty amazing.

Is this a joke?

hi, please help me, i have to decide whether to accept the acceptance offer in two weeks, but i hears many negative aspects of touro-ca

1. the curriculum is so unorganized that it feels like going to a community college
2. some teachers are not qualified to teach.
3. bad facility, not a lot of classes or rooms for DO students...

i only seem to hear good things about touro from applying students and current students, but is that realistic?
its a big decision for me, so can the current students talk about the negative aspects of Touro as well, so that i can make a wise decision?

i am very happy that i was accepted to this school, and i hope to go here, but i want to know good & bad about the school so that i don't get disappointed once the school starts.
thank you.

hi, please help me, i have to decide whether to accept the acceptance offer in two weeks, but i hears many negative aspects of touro-ca

1. the curriculum is so unorganized that it feels like going to a community college

i only seem to hear good things about touro from applying students and current students, but is that realistic?
its a big decision for me, so can the current students talk about the negative aspects of Touro as well, so that i can make a wise decision?

i am very happy that i was accepted to this school, and i hope to go here, but i want to know good & bad about the school so that i don't get disappointed once the school starts.
thank you.
decline the offer ... more room for those of us that were waitlisted ;)

thank you.

I hear those 3 for the first time. I'm not a student yet, so I am not a reliable source, but I have shadowed the students there and talked to them and the faculty.

From what I heard and seen, it was pretty organized. There is no school that has it perfect.

Never got that feeling there and I talked and met a lot of the faculty.

Looks bad from the outside, but not from the inside. There is lots of space and many rooms that you go back to all the time. They dont need too many classrooms because they only got a few programs.

does anybody know of anyone taken off the "medium-waitlist"?

I wanted to second this by asking if anybody ever gets pulled from the low-waitlist?

It all depends; however, I know people who were on high wait list and didn't get in.

I wanted to second this by asking if anybody ever gets pulled from the low-waitlist?

Take a look at last years thread. You will get a lot of information about the wait list and how things worked. I was on the high wait list and did not get offered a seat in the class. I heard of a number of people on the medium wait list who were offered seats. I didn't hear of anyone on the low wait list getting seats, but you never know. I'm not sure why they rank the wait list then offer seats to people on the medium list before the high. The whole situation was a little confusing and frustrating as you will see if you read the thread.

My suggestion is to update them as much as possible, especially when it gets closer to summer. Retake the MCAT if need be. I heard of one person on the medium list that received a better MCAT score then was pulled from the wait list. Good luck.

thank you.

I'm one of those people that always say good things about the school, But it seems like that's the wrong thing to do, now that I think about it. So here's the completely honest review about the place:

If your love ones live in california and around the bay area and you've only been accepted to Touro (and not stanford or any of the UC or Loma Linda or Western) then go here. You'll love it, it's in California...very close to your love ones...

If you are considering of going here because you want to "experience" California, then don't...Vallejo is Ghetto! There's nothing to do on Mare Island, and everything that's "Fun" is at least 20-45 minutes away (by car)...

If you go to school because of prestige, don't go here! it's only been around for 14 years or so...and it's only been in its current location for about 12 years, not nearly enough time to establish a strong foot hold considering UCSF has been around the same area since 1870? and Davis since 1966? They are really new to the area. No prestige here...

If you wonder if it is a safe live here? The answer is Yes... Mare island is very safe, I can jog at sundown everyday and not fear for my life. There are a lot of rooms for rent, and if you don't want to live on the island because there's nothing here except houses and the school then; Glencove, Benicia, or Fairfields are only 10-15 minutes away. Just don't live in Vallejo, it is sketchy there.

How is it compared to Western U? They're been there for much longer than we have, a lot more times to establish connections to the local community. They're more prestigious and well known than we are. How about the curriculum? I wouldn't know, I haven't gone there. How about the teacher? I don't know...

As for you questions:

I suppose? Personally I don't feel that it's unorganized. It's pretty integrated. I suppose if you're really critical of the curriculum you will find faults in it, but are there major flaws? I don't see it...
It always seems unorganized when you're trying to cram a medical curriculum into your brain in 2 years! If anyone had found a better way of doing this, they would've done so already.
Our curriculum has been adopted by touro-NY and they seemed to like it...So who knows...maybe your source was swamped with 1st block materials? They're really upping the amount of materials covered this year versus last year because class of 2015 will be the first class that will be required to have their board in before they can start rotation, so they want to compress the curriculum so we'll have times to study at the end of our second year.
There's a lot more to study for sure, but most lectures are well presented and the teachers try to lay out exactly what you Need to know for the exams, What you might want to know for the board, and what is good to know for clinical practice. (Most...there's always outliers)

Uhm, yes! these Doctors, none of them have a teaching credential!!! All they do is research and treat patients and stuff, they suppose to focus all their lives into teaching us...
But seriously, there are maybe two professors who aren't as good in teaching as the others, but these two are leading scientists in their field of research. They can't Teach perse, you know the type, the lab scientists who aren't as connected to people as others. However, there are tons of professors that are just wonderful, actually, almost all of them are really good lecturers and awesome mentors. I've attended many university and community colleges, and I have to say, the professors here are some of the most approachable, dedicated, fun, and easy going bunch.

How many classes or room do you need? If everyone were to show up to class, everyone who have a seat to sit.
Is anyone sitting on the floor during lectures? No.
Are there not enough places to study? No.
Are there not enough classes so that some students had to stay home while other go to school? No.

We're accredited for 135 spaces because that's what the accrediting body feels that our school can accommodate. "Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine–California is accredited by the Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation (COCA) and by the Accrediting Commission for Colleges and Universities of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges".
We got 200 seats in the lecture hall, but the accreditation body feels that we can only handle 135, so that's why there's only 135 spots...So don't worry, you'll have a seat to sit.

Honestly, if you want to become an osteopathic physician and want to be in California, this is your school!
If you are picky about how your school look, what other say about it, are easily annoyed by little things, like prestige, this is NOT the school for you. (and be honest about it, because there's really no point of going to a school if you're going to hate it. If you have other alternatives, I suggest taking it.)

So I've heard...from someone, who heard it from someone, that one of their friend was pulled from the low wait-list because he/she lives right next to the school, and it was a last moment kind of thing, and they had 3 hours to give an answer and yeah, it's possible. Another version of these story goes along the line of he/she has a husband/wife that's going to the school.

And this happens because near the end, when people (who are impolite and didn't bother notifying the school that they won't be attending the school since they got into another school that they like more) fail to meet their second deposite deadline get pulled off the list, there are empty spaces, and these spaces need to be fill fast, and they usually take people who are close to the school because it's kinda not feasible to tell someone that lives in NY to fly over, look for a place to live, and get ready because school starts in 2 days...

Don't get your hope up, but do send in a letter of intent and mention if you either live really close, or has relatives that is really close to the school, or any other circumstances where it's ok for you to get ready in two days...
And send this letter near the end of the admission cycle, where they are trying to fill spots... Just saying...