TUCOM question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Elysium

Not Really An Old Beaver
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I have to say I'm quite impressed with TUCOM's quick turnaround time.

Date application complete: 1/16/03
Date interview invite went out: 1/16/03

It's my first DO interview so I'm very excited. I really like the school a lot (maybe not as much as Brian, but close!)

My question: how often do they interview? I'm scheduled for 4/9/03, but I was wondering if the interview once a month, once a week, etc? Just curious.

Thanks everyone!

Tiffany

Members don't see this ad.

Tiffany,

Congratualtions!! Touro is the bomb diggety and you are in the top 425 of the initial 4000 apps to the school! (you should be glowing with pride.. I know I do every time I think about how lucky I am to have secured an interview)

From my reseach, every week Touro interviews groups of 6-10 on Mondays and Tuesdays... they started in September, and continue until who knows when...

Their adcom meets every other Thursday.. in fact they should have met today. If my calculations are correct, every other thursday, the adcom meets and reviews the 40-80 interviewees that had interviewed since the last time they meet. The magic question that I dont have the answer to (and very much wish I did) is what is the average number of acceptances they grant per adcom meeting.

They are wonderfully quick with respect to telling their interviewees good news.. Several of my acquiantences have told me that they received emails from Dr. Haight that started "The adcoms decided on you application twenty minutes ago and congratulations..." If that's not fast, I don't know what is..

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you!! If you need a ride to and from the airport, to and from Touro, want to have dinner, tour the school, tour the area, or just mull over the fact that the admissions process is wicked hard, please email me or IM me!!

Congrats again!

Brian Enriquez
[email protected]
AIM: ez073323

p.s. How accurate is King of the Hill with respect to its depiction of Texas??? If this whole osteopathic medicine thing doesnt work out, I may look into the business of propane and propane accessories.

From my experience with interviewing at Touro (December 2002), there were 10 of us interviewing there. I really liked my interview group and from the group interview I was in, two other people in my group were offered acceptances that I know of....so at least 3 out of the 10 (inclucing myself) that I interviewed with were given acceptances. As the interview sessions continue into the spring, naturally, more seats will be taken but I wouldn't worry about that. There are just some things you can't control and you have to understand that. Just do well in your interview and you'll be ok. Good luck. If you need assistance, just leave a message on the board. I wish you nothing but the best of luck and success.

Members don't see this ad :)
So three weeks from today I will possibly know my fate with respect to this year's application cycle... I have an interview at my top choice shool on March 4th and with any luck Touro will reveal their decision about me soon after...

I have had the honor to have dinner with several TUCOM applicants, acceptees, and students and so far I have been told that dinner the night before with peers is a big time stress reliever. For this reason, I would like to extend an invitation to dinner for anyone interviewing with me on March 4th... I should be able to harang a Touro second year, and a few acceptess to join us as well...

Also, anyone in the Northern California area that is interested, on Thursday, March 6th, from 6pm to 8pm, in the West Wing of the Coffee House (at UC Davis) Dr. Haight and Dr. Binkerd will be conducting a program titled "An Evening of Osteopathic Medicine" where there will be an interactive OMM demonstation and admissions will be discussed.. I'll be there (although I wish it was before my interview....)

Thanks everyone for all the encouragement and help!!

Brian Enriquez
[email protected]
AIM : ez073323

Brian,
Where are you guys doing dinner on the 3rd? I have class until 6:30 that night, but would like to meet up with you all for dinner!
Also, PM me with directions for the 6th.

Tiffany,
Congrats on the interview. Good luck and keep us in the loop.

Nikki

Hey everyone.. I will be running the program with TUCOM on March 6th at Davis. Please come it will be great. If you need directions, location, time etc, please e-mail me:
[email protected]
I'm a pre-med peer advisor for the health sciences adivising office, so if you have any questions, feel free. Also, Dr Haight, Dr. Binkerd and a huge panel will be there to answer any questions. And, if you see this post, and are coming, come introduce yourselves to me. I won't be applying until June of next year, but hopefully one day I'll be part of Touro too!!!!
Good luck to all interviewees

Hey everyone,

Would all of you that have interviewed but have yet to enter interview feedback please click on http://www.studentdoctor.net/interview/interview_enter.asp when you have a free moment... I really want to nail the interview, and I know that with all of your help, I will do so! No one has responded to my dinner invite for March 3rd... is it possible that I will be the only person from SDN interviewing that day?

Have a great week everyone!

Brian Enriquez
[email protected]

i will bump this thread one more time (cuz i know there are hella people out there that have interviewed at Touro and havent left feedback yet), but then i will be out of everyones hair.....

Brian

OK, Brian... gonna post my feedback in a few min just for you! Although the best advice I can give you is to relax and know your application b/c the questions they ask come directly from it! They will dissect your app! I was even asked about my hobbies (I stated that I liked to fiddle around w/ the computer and desktop publishing sorta things and they asked me to tell them how I would market Touro Univ. to the public)

Another interviewee was asked to elaborate on his statement in the app stating "he had a way with people."

My questions pretty much stemmed from my background as a med tech and an island girl. I did get the question "what was your worst subject in school." I answered truthfully(OChem), and my reasons why... buy I also stated how I overcame that negative attitude and actually enjoyed it by the third quarter.

Oh, b/c it is a group thing... don't try and steal the show! I think they definitely look at the group dynamics and how well everyone respects and listens to each other even though we didn't get any questions like "so--- what do you think of what---said?"

I guess I did OK b/c I got accepted. Dr. Haight offered us the opportunity to get decisions via email if we were in a time crunch, and I was thankful b/c I was able to turn down an interview at the U of H with the Touro acceptance in my hand. But I did decline the Touro acceptance in favor of COMP b/c of family. I would have gone to Touro just b/c Dr. Haight is the greatest!

hello all...

This is one last bump requesting all those who have interviewed at Touro to provide insight from their interviews! Thanks again so much to all those who have been so cool!

Brian Enriquez
[email protected]
AIM: ez073323

I interviewed last week and all I have to say is just relax, tell the truth and you should be fine. Questions mostly revolved around what people put on their applications. It may sound funny but know you application info backwards. Also, don't be afraid to ask the interviewer to clarify any question you are asked. I was asked if I knew Dr........ and I was really thrown because I couldn't place the name even though it was familiar. It turned out to be an old boss of mine who was not in fact a doctor, a fact I didn't realize until after the interview. My point being that the interviewers are not perfect either and so the questions you receive may not be completely clear. Think before you answer and try not to repeat yourself.
The four on four style is difficult because you don't get a chance to build upon previous questions asked. At most you will have 4 questions and only a short time to answer them, so it is not a lot of time to impress. The really don't ask nasty questions but the will ask direct questions such as, "why do you want to come to TOURO versus AZCOM where I see you are interviewing next week?" etc.... or, you dad was an MD and you uncle a DO, who impressed you most? Try to remain calm and not get too at ease and use any jargon or swear words. Your grades and application count for most, the interview just shows that you can be articulate.
Finally, be on time, dress nice, be calm and prepared and you will be fine. Remember, you don't have to be loud to be impressive. Good luck, Sean.

outback.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/[email protected]/

Gee Brian,

Were you trying to put a picture of certain SDNers on this thread? It would be a really, really great idea if you did! I'm sure everyone would love to see our true selves revealed...

Oh well, I guess I could just go to your profile and find it...

Tips to getting off COMPs waitlist: massage for Susan Hanson

:rolleyes:

T

Members don't see this ad :)
Tiff,

I can't believe that you dated yourself by alluding to the cute old lady from the Wendy's commericials... I bet a significant portion of our peers that took the MCAT this weekend have no memory of her... I can't believe I just dated myself by admitting that I knew who you were alluding to...

Anyways, thank you so much for pointing out that I am not a computer whiz. While you are at it did you want to tell everyone that when I type I only use my index fingers and bite on my half-way stuck out tongue?:p

It's time for me to pull some perserverance out of my pocket and hopefully regain my status as compter geek...

Click here or here to see the picture Elysium is so proud of...

If none of this works, then I have absolutely no business going to medical school... (NOT!!! I am going to physician, period!)

Have a great monday everyone!!

Brian Enriquez
[email protected]

Brian,

You have totally redeemed yourself. What a bunch of hotties! Do you think we're the only ones reading this post? Probably.

Oh well, better go finish that email...

Tiff

Great pic guys!! Looks like you had some more fun after we left.

Nope. You aren't the only ones. The old lady with tons of kids is also reading along. (hee hee to those of you who get it!)

That's it, next time I am drinking.

:D

Dr.Zippy...I did see you eyeing that tequila!!

Hello everyone...

This is the one and only Daniel Larusso from Reseda, CA...

Slickness,

I was lucky enough to attend the dinner where that picture was taken, and let me tell you... not even Marisa Tomei in My Cousin Vinny holds a candle to the girls that I had dinner with that night...

DrZippy, maysqrd, Elysium, SoCal's better half... all of them are just stunning!

This Karate Kid would be honored to go to school with all of them!

-Ralph

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ahh Daniel-san, wax-on, wax-off, wax-on, wax-off!

Slickness,

I can't speak of the other DO schools, but in my opinion Western and Touro are scoring more points than I did at the All Valley Karate Championships.

Just talking about gets me all excited... I think I will blow off some steam and go break some sheets of ice...

-Ralph

Do you think we could learn that wicked Mr. Myagi trick? COME ON... Don't act like you don't know what I am talking about... total silence... Mr. Myagi slaps his palms together and rubs. Then magically makes Daniel-san able to continue... ah-yes.

Ralph: How long did it take you to catch the fly with the chopsticks, REALLY?

OK Ralph Machio, Mr. Karate Kid, reveal yourself. Is that you, Brian?

:rolleyes:

Anyway, Dr. Zippy, you better think about moving into a retirement castle with all your many children.

Now I must go back to wishing Brian a happy birthday...

;)

Tiffany,

You, me, maysqrd, SoCal, bhambra, dpw68, DrZippy2b, your thrifty waitress and RalphMachhio (plus a few others) we're all at the same restaurant at the same time...

Yes, i totally forgot to note a couple people in our picture (dpw68 and RalphMacchio) but how can you forget that he and I are not the same person?

In fact that is one of the reasons that I have chosen to always sign all my posts; to relieve myself from the temptation of saying and posting whatever I want just because I am veiled by anonymity... (not to say RalphMacchio has ever abused the fact that he posts anonymously...)

Anyways, this thread is starting to get a little off track (but still fun nonetheless!!!)... Allow me to put us a little back on track!

I visted campus yesterday to give my friend that is applying to the PA/MPH program a tour of the school and what not and I found another reason that I totally want to go to Touro!! In the parking lot of the University is a mobile clinic!! All through undergrad I spent my weekends at Clinica Tepati, a student run clinic that provided free healthcare on Saturdays to those who would otherwise not have access to it... Seeing that mobile clinic totally got me looking forward to the possiblity of doing the same in the Vallejo area once in school!!! I will post the picture that I took of it shortly!!

Have a great weekend everyone!!

Brian Enriquez
[email protected]

Elysium,

I can't believe that you don't remember me/confused me for Brian... Below are a few pictures of myself... hopefully they will jog your memory... you can also click here or here if for more pictures of me...

Brian,

Thanks for posting that picture of the TUCOM mobile clinic... Do you know if/how often it is used??

Nikki,

Mr. Miyagi's healing touch that you are referring to is actaully a form of OMM... If it wasn't for HVLA, I doubt I would have been able to use my crane kick to beat Johnny in the finals...

Everyone,

Remember to breathe... In through nose, out through mouth... Breathe...
-Ralph

ralph1.jpg
karatkid.jpg
autograph.jpg
karatekid.jpg

Hey, had some time on my hands (I've decided to be on strike today... heck no, I won't work... no different from any other day, really!) Thought I would bs a little with you guys.

Todays topic: Zippy's weight, hair color, age and shoe size... OK, so nothing I can do about the shoe size, but I am working on the rest (even went so far as to change my SDN profile so my Bday will say (25)... My twin sister would be so proud. ) Anyway... I may just decide to throw this whole "eating healthy and working out" think out the window and plan on just having TONS of plastic surgery when I turn 30... I'm talking everything. Having my booty put back where it was intended, facelift, collagen injections, and AFTERMARKET Add-ons...though those won't REALLY be for me.:eek: (Men, that's love. Don't anyone tell you any different.)

Guess I should get back to striking. It's tough to make yourself look busy for lengthy periods of time when you are really just posting on SDN.

Have a great hump day!

Viva la Karate Kid!

When I was first introduced to the art of bonsai Mr. Miyagi adviced me to picture in my mind the perfect bonsai tree, then to open my eyes and let that picture become the tree that was in front of me...

Zippy,

I advise you to do the same except instead of closing your eyes and imagining the perfect you, just make it easy on yourself and go pick up a comso and then bring it to your plastic surgeon and say, "I want that... and make it happen fast... and make it permanent!"

Zippy.. remind me again how many kids you have?? Maybe it is because I was on the other end table we had dinner at, but unless I am mistaken your trunk was junkless so I don't see any need for you to go making any alterations to yourself...

-Ralph

macchioralph4279.jpg

Ralph, my friend. If I were single...

Oh, and I have lots of junk.. it's just in my "second" butt and thighs (oh, and I think I have cankles, too!).

Zippy

**heads out to buy Cosmo**

#2, if you did, I am sure there is some OMM techniques that will alleve "edema of the ankle region"

-Ralph

Karate-Kid.jpg

I can't believe you guys love the Karate kid so much, and its realy sad that you guys are even talking about it, it shows what a bunch of nerds you guys are.
Well I have to go and play dongeons and dragons now.

Ummm... It's sarcasm and just good clean fun. Oh, and we don't love the Karate Kid, we love the poster RalphMacchio from SDN.

Have a happy day!

Zippy

PS: What is dongeons and dragons?

What is dongeons and dragons? are you kidding me.
And I didn't mean to offend any hard core karate kid fans out there, I am just bored and thought I should type something. It was either that or saying Elysium is too hot for medical shool.
Oh yeah, and my favorite part of the Karate kid movie was when Mr. Miagi caught a fly with his chops sticks. I remember trying to copy him when I was a kid to prove something, but I never could do it. Damn those chopsticks.

Nope. Not kidding. I've heard of dungeons and dragons before, are they the same? :D

And having met her in real life, I must say that the picture doesn't serve her justice. Elysium is really a beautiful girl... and fun to boot. (Although she eats ribs with a FORK:eek:!!)

Leaving work now. Only 58 days left. Not that I am counting.

yes its dungeons not dongeons. You caught me, I don't know how to spell so sue me. And I don't know how to play it, I know, its shocking since one of my majors is mathematics and I have the geekiest people, from across in the world, in my department. If you ever watched revenge of the nerds you will know what I am talking about.
And eating ribs with a fork is just sick, whats next slicing a snickers bar with a knife!

That's ok. I don't know how to play either, I just review about one billion documents a day, so things like spelling catch my eye.

How is math as a major? I imagine it is really tough. What is your other major?

And slicing a snickers bar with a knife is just plain WRONG.

Well, we derive formulas and developed models. It is realy cool, because I was able to take computer science classes, business school like classes, I took probability, finance and theory of interest, but we were mainly studying how these formulas were getting derived instead of the concepts behind them. And I took this Models in biology class which was realy interesting too. If you ever watched the John Nash, a beautiful mind, movie you will get an idea about what a mathematics major is all about.
My second major was Biophysics, now thats more interesting!

There was this episode on seinfield on people who slice choclate bars with knives. I think its eticate of something.

What was that, Sarcasm? I guess math is not for everyone!
And no, we don't develop any original models, thats how you get your PhD I think.

Hee hee... is there a special section that works on male fitness models? (I just want a tour of that department!)

Glorytaker: Were you trying your hand at factitiousness?! (hee hee: yes, that is where all the models are! Where did you think you would find them?! In the Women's Studies Department?!:laugh: :laugh: Note: Absolutely nothing against Women's Studies majors, of course!!!

Hee hee. I was on the math team in High School. Math is for everyone. There's not a single thing in the world that can happen without Math.

Call me, you freak. I tried to call and it just rang and rang and rang...

I feel like an idiot now, I could safely say that we don't any hot chicks in our department. It is seriously pathetic.
And to be honest, the women studies chicks are more masculine then most chicks but they are way more hotter then the ones we had in our department!