TUCOM's $2000

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jimjones

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What does everyone think about TUCOM's outragous acceptance deposit :eek:
It complicates things because if you interview there early, and get accepted before other interviews, you can't really 'shop around' at other places because its either pay the 2k or give up your spot.
What's everyone's thoughts on this?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it is outrageous that some DO schools have this hefty deposit policy. My advisor, who is amongst a group of people who are fighting to change this practice, believes that some of the DO schools want to lure in some of the top students early in the process, thus requesting high depsoits. If those top students deposit $2000 to secure their spot they are very likely to stay committed to programs such as TUCOM. For those who genuinely want to go to TUCOM, this money still hurts because we have all shelled out to much for this pursuit. I feel it is an outrage, and I will not put that money down until I hear from most of the schools to which I applied. Just my $0.02. :mad:

I lost 2K to Touro. It hurt then, and it still hurts. It is a sore subject, and ....
I'm getting all teared up just thinking about it.

T

Too much money to lose, and to much for an initial deposit

Members don't see this ad :)
I think this policy will backfire on TUCOM. Think of a situation where tucom is someone's second choice. If someone is accepted into tucom and their 3rd choice (deposit $100) and hasn't heard from their 1st choice, they will likely accept the 3rd choice to save the money in case the 1st choice offers. If you get my meaning. :confused:

They dont want you to shop around forever. They want to fill up the classes and then build an alternate list ASAP. The 2 grand sucks but hedge your bet or roll the dice. Touro doesnt give a **** whether you come or not. There are plenty others with great record, stats to take your place. Thats the truth like it or not.

TUCOM 03'

2K is hefty, alright. But, I think that they are also playing the Bay Area geography card too. I know a lot of students from top Bay Area schools (Berkeley and Stanford) who want to stay in the area. Thus, TUCOM does succeed in securing top candidates who want to stay local. It's kind of a sleazy policy, but that's capitalism! For what its worth, TUCOM's reputation seems to be improving constantly---so it may be worth the $$ (and time and money in interview expenses) to know that you've been accepted somewhere early and just sit back and relax.

Good point. I have run into quite a few students from this area that, if given the choice, would prefer to stay here for their education.

I think that TUCOM will be a great school in a couple of years, however that didn't work for my time schedule. Also, I like not having anything to distract me. Missouri might be misery, but I can't say that I was distracted from my studies. Trust me, you don't have time to see the outside, so living close to family doesn't do you much good.
T
2K hurt me, and I think that it is unreasonable

Yes, 2000 is hefty... but so is the price of living in the bay area.