UF vs. Georgetown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medsf

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDNers!

I am a UF undergrad who has been accepted to both UF and Georgetown and am really trying to compare them on all fronts well before the May 15th deadline. As a UF undergrad, I really would like to go somewhere new and exciting for medical school instead of staying in Gainesville, but Gtown has a hefty price tag. I'd just like to hear from anyone also making this decision or who can help compare the programs! Thank you in advance!!!

Members don't see this ad.

They're both solid middle tier programs. UF has more research opportunities while GT arguably has a better location. Clinical opportunities are similar with both schools having multiple hospitals to rotate though that provide a good range of pathology.

GT has a smaller, more tight nit feel (only a few students went to GT for UG and most moved to DC from across the country) while UF is nearly all FL residents who went to UF or a top private school for UG (think Ivy league, vandy, and duke).

You'll probably have a slight advantage matching into NE programs from GT and into SE programs from UF. However, your step 1/clinical grades/lors/audition rotation grades will by far determine where you go for residency.

In the end it depends on how much you want to get out of FL and try something new (and how much extra you're willing to pay). Remember that not only is the tuition higher at GT, but the COL is also much higher (rent, food, etc...)

I'd also consider their curriculum styles heavily when making this decision. I think GT has grades while Florida doesn't which would sway me in addition to how much more expensive GT is.