2023-2024 Georgetown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chilly_md

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 Georgetown Secondary Essay Prompts

1. Are you/will you be enrolled in any program during the 2023-2024 academic year?

2. Have you ever completed one of the following Georgetown Programs? (check all that apply):

• The Georgetown University Academy for Research, Clinical, and Health Equity Scholarship (ARCHES)
  • Pedro Arrupe S.J. Scholarship for Peace (ARRUPE)
  • Gateway Exploration Program (GEP)
  • Georgetown Scholars Program (GSP)
  • Georgetown University School of Medicine Summer Immersion Program (GUSOM SCS)
  • Cultivating Opportunity & Realizing Excellence (CORE) Leadership Program
  • Graduated from Georgetown Experimental Medical Studies Program (GEMS)
  • Graduated from Special Master's Program (SMP)
  • None
3. The Georgetown University School of Medicine (GUSOM) strives to ensure that its students become respectful physicians, with cultural humility, who embrace all dimensions of caring for the whole person. With our Jesuit values of Cura Personalis, People for Others, and Community in Diversity, we are steadfast in our commitment to racial justice and to addressing the health inequities exacerbated by the recent pandemic. Please describe how your values, life experiences, and your identity will contribute to these GUSOM priorities. (1000 Characters)

4. Is there any further information that you would like the Committee on Admissions to be aware of when reviewing your file that you were not able to notate in another section of this or the AMCAS Application? (1000 Characters)

5. Why have you chosen to apply to the Georgetown University School of Medicine and how do you think your education at Georgetown will prepare you to become a physician for the future? (3000 Characters)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if this question is referring to Georgetown enrollment specifically? "Are you/will you be enrolled in any program during the 2023-2024 academic year?"

The reason I ask is because, if I say "yes" (since I'm going to be a senior in college this upcoming year), the options are "Georgetown Experimental Medical Studies," "Special Masters Program in Physiology", and "Other."

Should I pick "other" and type where I go for undergrad? Or should I answer "no" to the question?

Does anyone know if this question is referring to Georgetown enrollment specifically? "Are you/will you be enrolled in any program during the 2023-2024 academic year?"

The reason I ask is because, if I say "yes" (since I'm going to be a senior in college this upcoming year), the options are "Georgetown Experimental Medical Studies," "Special Masters Program in Physiology", and "Other."

Should I pick "other" and type where I go for undergrad? Or should I answer "no" to the question?
"other" and list your college I may be wrong here according to posters below.
Is question 1 different from question 2 on your secondary? read the instructions, I guess..

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you @wysdoc!

Also, here are the secondary questions (same as last year):

1. Are you/will you be enrolled in any program during the 2023-2024 academic year?

2. Have you ever completed one of the following Georgetown Programs? (check all that apply):
  • The Georgetown University Academy for Research, Clinical, and Health Equity Scholarship (ARCHES)
  • Pedro Arrupe S.J. Scholarship for Peace (ARRUPE)
  • Gateway Exploration Program (GEP)
  • Georgetown Scholars Program (GSP)
  • Georgetown University School of Medicine Summer Immersion Program (GUSOM SCS)
  • Cultivating Opportunity & Realizing Excellence (CORE) Leadership Program
  • Graduated from Georgetown Experimental Medical Studies Program (GEMS)
  • Graduated from Special Master's Program (SMP)
  • None
3. The Georgetown University School of Medicine (GUSOM) strives to ensure that its students become respectful physicians, with cultural humility, who embrace all dimensions of caring for the whole person. With our Jesuit values of Cura Personalis, People for Others, and Community in Diversity, we are steadfast in our commitment to racial justice and to addressing the health inequities exacerbated by the recent pandemic. Please describe how your values, life experiences, and your identity will contribute to these GUSOM priorities. (1000 Characters)

4. Is there any further information that you would like the Committee on Admissions to be aware of when reviewing your file that you were not able to notate in another section of this or the AMCAS Application? (1000 Characters)

5. Why have you chosen to apply to the Georgetown University School of Medicine and how do you think your education at Georgetown will prepare you to become a physician for the future? (3000 Characters)

Reactions: 2 users

select no, it is Georgetown specific- GUSOM will see where you are doing your undergrad in your AMCAS application

Is anyone else having the SSN section glitch out on them? The bar is grey and hitting the reset button doesn't work. I can't complete this page because of it :/

Reactions: 3 users
I emailed admissions. They responded saying they are aware of this issue and are actively working on it.

Reactions: 4 users
Is anyone willing to share their interpretation of question 2 "further information" prompt? There is already a why Georgetown so wondering if this is meant to be for covid?

Members don't see this ad :)
The problem was fixed for me and you can submit now! GL everyone!!

Just making sure, is the bar supposed to turn grey after entering in your SSN and saving and moving on?

Are you just submitting and then doing the financial aid portion later?

Hello all, I applied to Georgetown before realizing the 125 cutoff for subsections. I scored a 124 in my CARS section (508-129/124/128/127) and received a secondary application invite earlier today. Is it worthwhile to complete the secondary or will this just be a donation because of my low CARS score. Thank you for the help.

Is prompt 3 essentially a diversity essay? or using a diveristy essay to then talk about georgetown's mission?

Do we have to complete the FAFSA to be considered for an interview?

Do we have to complete the FAFSA to be considered for an interview?
Pretty sure they just want applicants to be aware of the deadline. If I get an ii I'm going to make sure I have it done though

Pretty sure they just want applicants to be aware of the deadline. If I get an ii I'm going to make sure I have it done though
I agree with this; their financial aid department isn't gong to process FAFSA's from all the applicants, only those who are likely to attend (who have offers of admission).

But, don't forget to ever fill it out and then ask a school "do I get any scholarship?"
To be considered for scholarships they usually want the FAFSA on file. Yes, even for merit scholarship consideration.

anyone else OOS not received a secondary yet? don't know if I should be worried!

Is anyone willing to share their interpretation of question 2 "further information" prompt? There is already a why Georgetown so wondering if this is meant to be for covid?
I used it to talk about my reflections from being a reapplicant and also plans for next year

If I was a semi-successful applicant in a previous cycle, is it ok if I reuse essays with some minor modifications? I am asking as they do explicitly state that "Application materials for applicants who are not accepted are not retained for future applications. Applicants who applied in previous years and who wish to use the same credentials must have them resubmitted" which makes me think that they won't be comparing my prior application as they won't even have it?

I used it to talk about my reflections from being a reapplicant and also plans for next year
do you think I could use it for a diversity spiel or maybe talk a little behind why I chose my double major? or is that rlly not what they're looking for

do you think I could use it for a diversity spiel or maybe talk a little behind why I chose my double major? or is that rlly not what they're looking for
There's already an essay that addresses diversity so I wouldn't use it for that personally, but if why you chose to double major is important to you then that's a good topic! I think they're just asking about any information we want to share/explain that we couldn't include in other parts of our app

The "personal info" page is marked as incomplete. I do not have extra info to share for the last question on that page, but I cannot submit while leaving it blank? Is anyone else having this issue?

The "personal info" page is marked as incomplete. I do not have extra info to share for the last question on that page, but I cannot submit while leaving it blank? Is anyone else having this issue?
I just entered NA

Is it worth applying here with a 124 CARS? I feel like I fit their mission, but I'd rather not spend $130 on their secondary if my application will immediately get set aside.

Is it worth applying here with a 124 CARS? I feel like I fit their mission, but I'd rather not spend $130 on their secondary if my application will immediately get set aside.
If you have a ton of clinical and volunteering throw it in(like >3000, need something to stand out over the CARS).

Same position as you with a 124. I saw on older threads that someone called admissions and it just makes you uncompetitive in that portion of the application, still have plenty of other places to shine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone having trouble paying? Every time I hit submit payment it logs me out

For those who received II, did your status on the portal say "under review" or was it just "your application is ready"?

Reactions: 6 users
I want to add Georgetown to the list of medical schools that I'm applying to, because I recently looked into the school and I feel like my application really aligns with their mission. Do you guys think it's too late in the cycle to submit my application here? LM 78

I want to add Georgetown to the list of medical schools that I'm applying to, because I recently looked into the school and I feel like my application really aligns with their mission. Do you guys think it's too late in the cycle to submit my application here? LM 78
I submitted an application a couple of days ago and received the secondary two days later, I feel like it's worth a shot

In the 'Background Information' section is the short answer prompt 1000 characters with spaces or without?