UK/Irish Vet Schools c/o 2022 (Hopefuls)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm visiting Edinburgh next month and will be asking students who moved with pets about this, as we're taking our dogs with us (from California). I'll post what I find out!
Please let me know what you find out! I have 2 dogs and 1 cat and would LOVE to bring them with me!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone applied for financial aid yet? I've heard that in the past it can be hard to get federal loans for attendance to UK schools - is that still true? Edited: just found this: US loans

Anyone applied for financial aid yet? I've heard that in the past it can be hard to get federal loans for attendance to UK schools - is that still true? Edited: just found this: US loans
I had no problems with loans for RVC. You just have to make sure you send everything the school requests and don’t fill out the FASFA too early or they will make you resubmit it. Since the Edinburgh is accredited in the US you shouldn’t have any issues.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if there is any sort of open house/ accepted students day at Glasgow? Went back to check my acceptance email but there wasn't any mention.

Does anyone know if Glasgow requires Physics II as a prerequisite?

Hi friends!! Super huge congrats on all of your acceptances :) question for anyone who has been accepted to RVC and has already made the decision to attend-did you get accepted to another out of country school? If yes, how did you decide on RVC? Im waiting for my last hope at an in country school (LMU) and I have been fortunate enough to be accepted to RVC and SGU. But if I don't get into LMU I have a big decision to make between England and Grenada and I'm stressed just thinking about it hahaha let me know thanks !

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone got accepted to both RVC and Edinburgh? Which school are you leaning towards and why?

Hi friends!! Super huge congrats on all of your acceptances :) question for anyone who has been accepted to RVC and has already made the decision to attend-did you get accepted to another out of country school? If yes, how did you decide on RVC? Im waiting for my last hope at an in country school (LMU) and I have been fortunate enough to be accepted to RVC and SGU. But if I don't get into LMU I have a big decision to make between England and Grenada and I'm stressed just thinking about it hahaha let me know thanks !

Hello, I attended RUSVM (Ross) for Fall 2017 from Sept - Dec. And I was accepted to Sydney and RVC, and waitlisted at Virginia, and rejected from Davis for 2018.
I accepted my RVC offer 3 weeks ago. I did not apply to other UK/Irish vet schools.

A major factor for me is that RVC is one of the most accredited schools in the world.
- One of the vet techs at my old clinic graduated from vet school in Brazil, and after moving with her husband and her family to the U.S for work she just did not have the time to go through with all the process of becoming a DVM in the states. She is very happy with her position as a tech, but for me I just prefer to have my options open if I wanted to work in another country possibly one day.

Reactions: 1 user
I’ll be accepting my offer to RVC today!

Reactions: 7 users
Hey y’all! I’ve been stalking these forums for months now. I applied to UCD, Glasgow and my home school and am very very excited to choose between UCD and Glasgow. After spending half a year in New Zealand, I feel like I’m in limbo, awaiting my next adventure. Glasgow certainly has my heart but with the British pound so strong against the dollar right now, it’s hard to commit. Any opinions?
the pound is actually a lot better than it used to be vs the dollar! It used to be that 1 pound was equal to 2 dollars, but now its more like 1 pound is equal to about $1.39!! you have some awesome options though!

Hello, I attended RUSVM (Ross) for Fall 2017 from Sept - Dec. And I was accepted to Sydney and RVC, and waitlisted at Virginia, and rejected from Davis for 2018.
I accepted my RVC offer 3 weeks ago. I did not apply to other UK/Irish vet schools.

A major factor for me is that RVC is one of the most accredited schools in the world.
- One of the vet techs at my old clinic graduated from vet school in Brazil, and after moving with her husband and her family to the U.S for work she just did not have the time to go through with all the process of becoming a DVM in the states. She is very happy with her position as a tech, but for me I just prefer to have my options open if I wanted to work in another country possibly one day.
so you started at Ross and then changed your mind?? do you mind me asking why??

so you started at Ross and then changed your mind?? do you mind me asking why??

I don't mind answering some questions on here, if you have specific questions feel free to pm me!

I am a first time applicant (2017) and applied to Ross last May (2017) through their website since they offer rolling admissions and also started my VMCAS applications for other schools. I was first waitlisted to their January (2018) term, but they bumped me up to a fall start in September. So when I was at Ross during the two category 5 hurricanes, I still had my applications in VMCAS submitted, and was actually affected by the power outages in the Caribbeans as VMCAS extended their deadlines haha.

Multiple reasons, in no particular order. This is off the top of my head so sorry if I may have missed a point that you or anyone are particularly concerned about.
___
From my previous post, Royal is one of if not the most accredited schools in the world which would better my chances of working abroad if I wanted to in the future, and I love having that flexibility.

This may be more of a med school issue, but I have read on the forums somewhere that for internships after school if you want to specialize, some places tend to stigmatize and reject Caribbean students. It was unclear if this extends to the vet schools however.

The island culture is just the way it is sometimes, previous Ross students on this forums have commented before. Sometimes administrative stuff at the school and off campus such as banking, etc could take a very long time to get a follow up on. I was okay for the most part but there are some instances where it could cause some trouble if you are not used to that lifestyle.

I was born in HK and have a British passport, while I still have to apply for a student visa the overall transition would be easier for me. RVC also had a talk/info session (2016) I attended at my undergrad after I had graduated. At the time, I was was well on my way toward engineering goals & opportunities (I have an engineering degree), but attending that session convinced me to go back to pursue my dream of becoming a veterinarian.
___
To anyone reading this who are also looking into their options, while I will not be returning to Ross I had a wonderful time there. The school was tough but the life/school balance was top notch, I can't think of anywhere else that allows you to unwind with calm waters at the beach after a long week of exams. The school is also located right on the southern edge of the island, walking out of your class and you can look out towards the Caribbean sea and the beautiful sunset. Studying on campus you would occasionally have families of green velvet monkeys running around on the trees or just chilling 10 feet away from you. The students in my class were very motivated and are all very helpful. On campus, the students and staff are all pretty friendly and trustworthy, I could leave my laptop in the student union for hours and come back to it untouched.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was born in HK and have a British passport, while I still have to apply for a student visa the overall transition would be easier for me.

If you have a British passport, you do not need a student visa to study in the UK (unless somehow you have the passport but are not a citizen?). In fact, you would be ineligible for a visa as a British citizen. You would, however, have to pay international student fees as you would not be eligible for home student fees if you haven't been living the UK for the previous three years. But there is no visa for British passport holders to live or study in the UK.

If you have a British passport, you do not need a student visa to study in the UK (unless somehow you have the passport but are not a citizen?). In fact, you would be ineligible for a visa as a British citizen. You would, however, have to pay international student fees as you would not be eligible for home student fees if you haven't been living the UK for the previous three years. But there is no visa for British passport holders to live or study in the UK.

Sorry I should have clarified, people born in Hong Kong between 1985-1997 hold British National (Overseas) status, it is separate/different from being a British citizen. I can enter the UK for up to 6 months visa free but beyond that such as work/study I would require a visa. Unless the law have changed recently.

Sorry I should have clarified, people born in Hong Kong between 1985-1997 hold British National (Overseas) status, it is separate/different from being a British citizen. I can enter the UK for up to 6 months visa free but beyond that such as work/study I would require a visa. Unless the law have changed recently.

That's interesting, thanks for the clarification. Sorry for questioning you, I just assumed British passport meant full British citizenship. Too bad, as it would have been nice to avoid the hassle and fees of a visa.

So with trying to decide between schools (RVC being one of them) I had a weird question. My one doctor went to veterinary school abroad (he went to the Philippines in the 80s) and he said to me that I should think about the medicine aspect of my education if I'm going to study at RVC. He said that the medicine is verry different in different countries and that when I would come back to the states to practice I'd have to relearn a lot of that kind of stuff. I don't know if this is necessarily true, but can anyone who is currently a student let me know what they think? As of right now thats a big thing that would decide where I would be going. Thanks so much :)

So with trying to decide between schools (RVC being one of them) I had a weird question. My one doctor went to veterinary school abroad (he went to the Philippines in the 80s) and he said to me that I should think about the medicine aspect of my education if I'm going to study at RVC. He said that the medicine is verry different in different countries and that when I would come back to the states to practice I'd have to relearn a lot of that kind of stuff. I don't know if this is necessarily true, but can anyone who is currently a student let me know what they think? As of right now thats a big thing that would decide where I would be going. Thanks so much :)

Not yet a student obviously but I have heard for the NAVLE - North American Veterinary Licensing Examination, us American students would have to study/focus on some extra materials for the examination not covered in international schools.

I’m in first year of the graduate program and I have already come across a few things that are different but they do tell you it’s different so you’ll know. Also when you do EMS you can do some in the States so you can experience the differences before you get out of school. One major difference is the drug names but that’s a simple adjustment in the grand scheme of things. Also leaned about flank spays two weeks ago and I was floored. I had never heard of anything like it, so I’m enjoying learning about things we don’t have at home.

I could see how learning somewhere not AVMA accredited could require a lot of relearning, but if the AVMA thinks it’s an equal education I think it should be okay. I know studying for the NAVLE will be a bit more of a challange (they come right out and tell you) but I hear most people do fine.

I was accepted at my in-state university so I ended up declining my acceptance at the RVC yesterday. Best of luck to you all!

Hey guys, for anyone on the Edinburgh waitlist, just wanted to let you know that I declined my offer of admission as I was accepted into my in-state! I hope I was able to help someone's dream come true!! Love you all!! Have a great time in Scotland:biglove:

I was wondering if anyone who was shortlisted and/or accepted the scholarship at RVC could tell me about this elusive scholarship? Trying to find info on how to be considered when/if I apply and haven't had any luck. Thanks!
There is one full ride international scholarship. It is entirely based on merit and how well you interview. You will be notified in your acceptance letter if you are being considered for it. If you are being considered, you write an essay. The essays are read and one candidate is awarded the scholarship.

That’s what we were told at my interview.

Giving up my seat today for RVC hopefully this gets the waitlist moving for someone! Best of luck guys xoxox :)

Who accepted their seat for RVC? I wanna know who my future classmates will be

Who accepted their seat for RVC? I wanna know who my future classmates will be
Fellow RVC class of ‘22 granny here! :soexcited:
Just accepted my offer Monday. Also interested to see who our other classmates are!

Just got my acceptance to Dublin on April 18th! They were really slow this year.

Reactions: 2 users
Just got my acceptance to Dublin on April 18th! They were really slow this year.
Congratulations on your acceptance!!!!

Just curious, were you on a waitlist? I would assume so since you got an acceptance after the aavmc deadline and I’m pretty sure that even though Dublin isn’t in the USA, that they’d still have to follow the acceptance deadline rules to continue to be able to use vmcas. Which one is they’re not allowed to require people to make a decision before April 15th so they can have all of their initial decisions before having to decide, so I would think there would be a rule (whether written or just implied) that initial acceptance decisions would have to be out sometime BEFORE the 15th as well......
if it was an initial acceptance and they’re sending them out after the deadline, that’s kind of weird and I’m not sure if they’re following policy at that point.....

Well a part of me is bummed that I won’t be joining you all in London I wish you all the very very best on your upcoming adventure.

*~I’ll be there in spirit :love:

Hey RVC friends! I was wondering how everyone was going about finding a place to live in London. I have been considering using a relocation service since I'm not super familiar with areas or how things work to rent in the UK.

Are there any real besides Camden that people know are safe/close to school?

Congratulations on your acceptance!!!!

Just curious, were you on a waitlist? I would assume so since you got an acceptance after the aavmc deadline and I’m pretty sure that even though Dublin isn’t in the USA, that they’d still have to follow the acceptance deadline rules to continue to be able to use vmcas. Which one is they’re not allowed to require people to make a decision before April 15th so they can have all of their initial decisions before having to decide, so I would think there would be a rule (whether written or just implied) that initial acceptance decisions would have to be out sometime BEFORE the 15th as well......
if it was an initial acceptance and they’re sending them out after the deadline, that’s kind of weird and I’m not sure if they’re following policy at that point.....

Thanks! I have no idea if I was on a wait list. I didn't apply through VMCAS - I just applied through the UCD website itself. My guess for why they took so long is that I originally applied for the 5-year programme since I didn't have Physics as a prereq. During my interview, they asked me if I would be willing to take Physics during the summer to be eligible for the 4-year programme so they would consider me for a conditional offer. I said yes and got a conditional offer for the 4-year.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks! I have no idea if I was on a wait list. I didn't apply through VMCAS - I just applied through the UCD website itself. My guess for why they took so long is that I originally applied for the 5-year programme since I didn't have Physics as a prereq. During my interview, they asked me if I would be willing to take Physics during the summer to be eligible for the 4-year programme so they would consider me for a conditional offer. I said yes and got a conditional offer for the 4-year.
Ahhh applying directly to the school makes more sense. They don’t have to go with the vmcas rules then.
Congrats on getting the 4 year instead!!!

For anyone out there who has applied or is applying to UK/Irish vet schools for September 2018 start (c/o 2022)!

Hi there! prevet student from the US applying this cycle! Currently some of my top choices are RVC and Glasgow (my family lives in Europe so financially and location wise this makes a lot of sense). I have a question for US students at RVC, did the age gap have any affect on your choice to ahead on or not? Since some UK students will be much younger.

Hi there! prevet student from the US applying this cycle! Currently some of my top choices are RVC and Glasgow (my family lives in Europe so financially and location wise this makes a lot of sense). I have a question for US students at RVC, did the age gap have any affect on your choice to attend or not? Since some UK students will be much younger.

Commonly Asked Questions - Posting this in case it is helpful to any considering UCD! I will be a third year in the grad entry vet program this fall. I have compiled some of the questions I get asked most and would be happy to answer any others you may have. If you do have further questions, please e-mail me (contact info on the blog) as I am not on this site very often. Best of luck to all of you with your choices!

Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone! I got an offer to interview with UCD in January and I’m so excited!! Considering my GPA is below the required 3.2 and I was in total shock when I got the email to interview!! I also plan to take cell biology in the spring. If anyone could share their interview experience I would greatly appreciate it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hi everyone! I got an offer to interview with UCD in January and I’m so excited!! Considering my GPA is below the required 3.2 and I was in total shock when I got the email to interview!! I also plan to take cell biology in the spring. If anyone could share their interview experience I would greatly appreciate it!!!

Congrats! I had a Skype interview and it was really nothing scary - I seriously overprepared for it since I researched the 60 most commonly asked vet interview questions and made sure I had responses for all of them. But UCD was chill - they just asked about why I wanted to be a vet, how I felt about abattoirs, how I tend to study, etc.

Congrats! I had a Skype interview and it was really nothing scary - I seriously overprepared for it since I researched the 60 most commonly asked vet interview questions and made sure I had responses for all of them. But UCD was chill - they just asked about why I wanted to be a vet, how I felt about abattoirs, how I tend to study, etc.

Thank you so much! I have to go to NYC for the interview I’m hoping it’s similar! They said it would only last 30 minutes. Did you interview last year? Are you a current DVM student at UCD?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hi there! Any current RVC and Edinburgh students I could PM and ask some questions to regarding the program?

I was accepted to the 4 yr program at RVC and have my Edinburgh interview in Feb:)

Hi there! Any current RVC and Edinburgh students I could PM and ask some questions to regarding the program?

I was accepted to the 4 yr program at RVC and have my Edinburgh interview in Feb:)
Feel free to message me, I am here right now

I go to RVC, I’m currently a 3rd year after doing the graduate year last year. I’m happy to answer questions.