UMDNJ-SOM Adcom meeting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
its a great school. Same reasons I applied to other schools out of state. And they dont have
in-state/out-of-state bias in admissions or tuition

I am from NJ and I attend a UMDNJ school but I've never been to SOM until I went for interview..I was really suprised by how nice the school is, especially in comparison to RWJMS

Members don't see this ad.

I went to undergrad at Stockton (NJ state school) and am now in a Masters Program at UMDNJ-Stratford
oh really, which masters program? I went to Rutgers and finishing up a masters degree at umdnj-piscataway

It feel like I have been waiting to hear from UMDNJ for an interview invite forever...I would give anything to get that letter!

Members don't see this ad :)
So did everyone here go to school in NJ/is NJ resident?

From MA and went to school about 300 years ago also in MA. ;)
Applied to the DO schools closest to home, and threw in Chicago 'cause I've lived there, like it there, and threw in Des Moines b/c I just had that feeling about it from the start. If the cost & distance from home were the same, I'd probably chose DMU, but they aren't the same, so, now I don't know what to do... :confused: "UMass!! Help me out here!!" :idea:

I'm NJ born, raised, and educated...but UMDNJ-SOM still hasn't invited me for an interview and I'm really upset. It's the only school I want to go to.

Pineapple, I too am from New Jersey and really want to get accepted to UMDNJ. I felt like I was waiting forever for my interview invite (2 months), so I called to check my status, and they lost my LORs!! They said they "thought they were around somewhere" and would look more :confused: I finally got my interview invitation 2 weeks later. So if you haven't done so already, I would give them a call just to make sure they have everything! Hope you hear good news from them soon :)

Pineapple, I too am from New Jersey and really want to get accepted to UMDNJ. I felt like I was waiting forever for my interview invite (2 months), so I called to check my status and they lost my LORs!! They said they thought they had them somewhere and would look more :confused: I finally got my interview invitation 2 weeks later. So if you haven't done so already, I would give them a call just to make sure they have everything! Hope you hear good news from them soon :)

Thanks, I called them a few weeks ago (~1 month?) and my application was complete.

How were you informed of your interview invite?

I got my interview invite in the mail, but others have posted that they were notified by email. It seems like UMDNJ is not consistent with communicating to applicants, so I guess you could find out either way.

I got my interview invite in the mail, but others have posted that they were notified by email. It seems like UMDNJ is not consistent with communicating to applicants, so I guess you could find out either way.

I am figuring that I would hear by snail mail. So far the admissions office has not replied to any of my eMails. :scared:

yeah for those waiting for an interview at SOM, the same has been happening at pcom for me. as long as your not rejected, an interview should be coming :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got my letter... I'm wait listed too!

yeah for those waiting for an interview at SOM, the same has been happening at pcom for me. as long as your not rejected, an interview should be coming :)

My PCOM file is complete but I haven't heard from them either. They're my next choice since they're near home.

*sigh*

Finally that stupid envelope has arrived! it seems like i will be attending umdnj next fall! yay!

PCOM and UMDNJ have been at the top of my list. So, a very hard decision is coming up... How about you? have you made a decision?

I know!!! You're my very first SDN friend, i'm glad i met you at COMP!
...though its sad that we won't be going to the same school =(

rub, I was debating b/w KCUMB and KCOM, but now UMDNJ-SOM has thrown themselves into the mix. I haven't decided yet.

The decision is rather easy for me...i only applied to umdnj and pcom and have not heard from pcom...so...

hey, where in MD are you from? I'm from jersey, but i go to UMBC.

UMBC!!! haha, i literally live down the street, in catonsville. are you here now?

Just got my letter... I'm wait listed too!

Yep just got mine, Waitlist.............

Koshka, Congratulations, when did you interview?

Dr KUBA you were right, the letter was confusing...

Yep just got mine, Waitlist.............

Koshka, Congratulations, when did you interview?

thanks =)
It seems they put a pretty large number of people on a waitlist..I wonder how long it is at the end of the year

I interviewed on November 1st..and this was the first time I thought the interview did not go too well...I don't remember the interviewer's name but he was very dry and not enthusiastic about anything I said..

btw, do you have any idea what the mcat/gpa averages were for the 2005 umdnj class?

Congrats, Koshka. Join the club, Dafertilizer. I'm sorry to hear that. I don't even know what to think of that waitlist....:confused:

Congrats!!

thanks!
I take my comments from yesterday back...everyone seems much nicer today =)
i actually have a question...the only other school i applied to is pcom...do you think i need to call and tell them to withdraw my application or do so passively?

thanks!
i actually have a question...the only other school i applied to is pcom...do you think i need to call and tell them to withdraw my application or do so passively?

ive withdrawn passively from a lot of schools

thanks!

It depends on whether you are certain you want to go to UMDNJ and not stick around to hear from PCOM. I had friends that loved UMDNJ and others that chose PCOM b/c they felt it suited them better. So only withdraw if you feel you don't have a chance there or if you're sure u'd be happier at UMDNJ.

ive withdrawn passively from a lot of schools

:luck: to you...if it helps I know a few people that had accepted UMDNJ and ended up withdrawing around april...i know it's not what any of us want-to wait that long...but just saying there is hope...esp if you let them know u're interested. :)

thanks!

PCOM's a great school w/a great rep. I wouldn't withdraw b/c they might still interview you. It would be worth it to go & see what you think if you get the opportunity. Congrats, anyway!

UMBC!!! haha, i literally live down the street, in catonsville. are you here now?

haha i knew i'd ask just for the heck of it. i'm home now for thanksgiving, but i'll be back on monday/tuesday. do you live near frederick road (or edmonson)?

I'm on the waitlist too. Really disappointing.. I thought my interview went well!! and this school was one of my top choices... It seems like they are waitlisting so many people!!:( How difficult is it to get accpeted off the waitlist???

Well I got great news from Paula today. I am one point shy of the composite to get in, so she said I have a "better than great" chance of having a seat. She also said I could be an automatic acceptance after I recalculate my gpa this semester.

Well I got great news from Paula today. I am one point shy of the composite to get in, so she said I have a "better than great" chance of having a seat. She also said I could be an automatic acceptance after I recalculate my gpa this semester.

Oh great! So that means I'm a point shy too, pretty much. Still haven't gotten an interview yet tho haha...

If I don't get an interview at any UMDNJ school i might be sad. I've applied to NJMS, RWJMS, and SOM.

yea, but now I am having second thoughts on the whole thing, lol. This is all so crazy, it will be a hard choice between UMDNJ and NSU I think.

Hey that's great news for you, Dr. Kuba!! :D
Although I don't really understand how they are thinking. They interviewed you even though they are basically saying that your GPA kept you from being accepted initially?? Huh? :confused:

Hey that's great news for you, Dr. Kuba!! :D
Although I don't really understand how they are thinking. They interviewed you even though they are basically saying that your GPA kept you from being accepted initially?? Huh? :confused:
Thanks!
No, I dont think that's how it works. I got an 84 composite score. You need an 85. I also received 16/20 points for interview(remember my wonderful interview panic?lol) So I could have been accepted with another point on interview. But I can choose to recalculate the AACOMAS as soon as it comes out and they will recalculate the composite score. So if I do that I'll get a straight acceptance letter. If I don't I will still probably beone of the first couple people off of the waitlist.

When I spoke to Paula she told me that I was a few points shy of the magic number and I have nothing to worry about either. The committee was concerned about my grades from 10 years ago.

When I was an UG I was not very focused and my grades suffered. Because of that I have a 2.5 UG GPA. Then I went to graduate school and have a 3.78 GPA and a 29 on the MCAT. When oh when will people leave the past where it belongs, in the past!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

When I spoke to Paula she told me that I was a few points shy of the magic number and I have nothing to worry about either. The committee was concerned about my grades from 10 years ago.

When I was an UG I was not very focused and my grades suffered. Because of that I have a 2.5 UG GPA. Then I went to graduate school and have a 3.78 GPA and a 29 on the MCAT. When oh when will people leave the past where it belongs, in the past!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

o, wow! the composite scoring system kind of screwed you, huh. I bet if it was just a straight subjective you would be sitting pretty right now. But either way, Im glad you have nothing to worry about!

Hey glad to hear both of you guys will soon land up at your top choice!!
Can't wait to read about it, officially!! :D

Just talked to Paula and she told me that over 90% of students get their first choice in the match most years?! That is so high. I am impressed, if it's true!

o, wow! the composite scoring system kind of screwed you, huh. I bet if it was just a straight subjective you would be sitting pretty right now. But either way, Im glad you have nothing to worry about!

How does the composite system work?

Thanks!
No, I dont think that's how it works. I got an 84 composite score. You need an 85. I also received 16/20 points for interview(remember my wonderful interview panic?lol) So I could have been accepted with another point on interview. But I can choose to recalculate the AACOMAS as soon as it comes out and they will recalculate the composite score. So if I do that I'll get a straight acceptance letter. If I don't I will still probably beone of the first couple people off of the waitlist.

I just spoke to Paula and she told me I have an 82, only 3 points. The committee is meeting for the last time of the year on December 15th and will start looking at the alternate list in January.

I just spoke to Paula and she told me I have an 82, only 3 points. The committee is meeting for the last time of the year on December 15th and will start looking at the alternate list in January.

it's amazing how much information she gives you over the phone...I have not had this experience with any other school...I've had admission office say they can't tell me if i am in the first or second half of the list before.

hmm, i just remembered something interesting that Paula told me.. She said you get points based on your undergrad school. I wonder where Uconn ranks on that list and how many points it got me or lost me. I hope they realize that we choose undergrad schools for many factors, especially the public ones(tuition). I wish I had asked her.