UMDNJ-SOM Discussion Thread 2012 -2013

Started by JamesLMT
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been accepted! So happy and relieved. I was freaking out all day, and now... oh man. It's like zen. I feel great right now.

Just some info, I received a phone call at 3:20-ish from the 3rd year med student who interviewed me last week. She told me that I will receive an acceptance packet in the mail in the next week or so. My stats: 3.5 GPA, 33Q MCAT. I applied to both DO/MD, and I am a reapplicant.

Congrats! What letter does your last name start with? Lol
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just got a call and hung up on them accidently. i looked up the number and it's from umdnj-som and i can't seem to call back b/c the lines are busy.

lol damn it.
 
Would they call on Monday if they didn't get through everyone today?

No calls for me 🙁

My interviewer actually commented on this and said it was possible. He said don't freak out and wait until Monday. Needless to say that doesn't make me feel better.

I'm really pulling for all of us.
 
My interviewer actually commented on this and said it was possible. He said don't freak out and wait until Monday. Needless to say that doesn't make me feel better.

I'm really pulling for all of us.


Oh ok. Why do they tell us when they are calling...they should just surprise us...this waiting kills me...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was accepted by phone today... My interview was as bad as they get, so I'm sure you guys got in!

My first acceptance!

Out-of-state
3.89gradGPA
2.87ugrad
3.03cum
32N
 
Nothing here. Probably got rejected 🙁

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using SDN Mobile
 
Yea its over.

My stats are so much lower than the above. I thought my ECs would have brought me up.

Did you call?

And yeah my MCAT compared to the above 2 acceptances are a good 4 points lower so I'm sure that's a factor.

Sorry guys. Here's hoping for some waitlist miracle.
 
I got hit with the same thing at AZCOM.

The day of, a good portion of the forum got the portal change.
I was not one of them but the day after I did recieve the portal change and phone call.

Not to get anyone's hopes up but looking at last years forum, monday still is a very reasonable probability b/c it did happen last year.
It is what it is, relax and give it some time b/c monday calls are still quite rational.
 
Last edited:
Did you call?

And yeah my MCAT compared to the above 2 acceptances are a good 4 points lower so I'm sure that's a factor.

Sorry guys. Here's hoping for some waitlist miracle.
Gave them a call around 6. Got an answering machine. Sounds like they closed down around 6 or even before. I did hear there were alot of Applicants this round so who knows I guess.
 
Did you call?

And yeah my MCAT compared to the above 2 acceptances are a good 4 points lower so I'm sure that's a factor.

Sorry guys. Here's hoping for some waitlist miracle.

For some reason I got some hope. Maybe they called all the stellar stat people first and we are going to be on Monday. Not sure but I guess ill hold out.
 
Did you call?

And yeah my MCAT compared to the above 2 acceptances are a good 4 points lower so I'm sure that's a factor.

Sorry guys. Here's hoping for some waitlist miracle.
Don't lose hope. I was accepted today and I had a 28Q on my MCAT (and I'm out of state!). Maybe they didn't have time to call everyone today. 🙂

Also, I was in an area without service so they had to leave a message. Make sure to check your voicemails!
 
Don't lose hope. I was accepted today and I had a 28Q on my MCAT (and I'm out of state!). Maybe they didn't have time to call everyone today. 🙂

Also, I was in an area without service so they had to leave a message. Make sure to check your voicemails!

Guess we'll just wait and pray
 
For some reason I got some hope. Maybe they called all the stellar stat people first and we are going to be on Monday. Not sure but I guess ill hold out.

Then they would have called you! I can't believe it's all stats, so have hope!

My interviewer called. Yours might just want to wait... It's Friday.

Also, I interviewed on October 2, so maybe it's in order of when you went? 1 day to go over 4 weeks of applicants is a task.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Then they would have called you! I can't believe it's all stats, so have hope!

My interviewer called. Yours might just want to wait... It's Friday.

Also, I interviewed on October 2, so maybe it's in order of when you went? 1 day to go over 4 weeks of applicants is a task.

I appreciate the thought but I don't have stellar stats. I am a UD with a grad GPA of 3.56 and an MCAT of 24. ECs are EMT/Firefighter for 7 years, trained probies, worked in a UMDNJ lab for a year and got great recs, worked at an ER for 4 years as a patient care tech, honors frat, awards for leadership, did the school council and etc. I thought I did well in my interview but i'm not sure. I def made an impression but who knows if it was good enough. It's rough. Well that's prob not it because someone that interviewed a week ahead of me got the call and i didn't so. Its rough. I interviewed Oct 9th. I agree that it's a task and i'm hoping for the best but idk. I'm at the grief stage. I'm sure the other applicants can relate. I haven't eaten dinner, just in that grief stage. This really is my top choice and I really want to be a DO. I wanted it so bad like everyone else on this forum but who knows. I'll wait for monday but i'm not too sure how much hope i have.
 
I appreciate the thought but I don't have stellar stats. I am a UD with a grad GPA of 3.56 and an MCAT of 24. ECs are EMT/Firefighter for 7 years, trained probies, worked in a UMDNJ lab for a year and got great recs, worked at an ER for 4 years as a patient care tech, honors frat, awards for leadership, did the school council and etc. I thought I did well in my interview but i'm not sure. I def made an impression but who knows if it was good enough. It's rough. Well that's prob not it because someone that interviewed a week ahead of me got the call and i didn't so. Its rough. I interviewed Oct 9th. I agree that it's a task and i'm hoping for the best but idk. I'm at the grief stage. I'm sure the other applicants can relate. I haven't eaten dinner, just in that grief stage. This really is my top choice and I really want to be a DO. I wanted it so bad like everyone else on this forum but who knows. I'll wait for monday but i'm not too sure how much hope i have.

I've been a ff for 7 years too!

Your ECs are awesome though, I'm jealous! If your stats weren't good, they wouldn't have interviewed you. It's easier to see these things when you aren't the applicant. We focus on our weaknesses, not our strengths.

Plus, they invited you pretty early, so they're trying to grab you quickly! Even if they wait list you, you're probably high on the list!

Think of the worst case scenario. Accept it. Then attempt to improve on the worst.
 
I appreciate the thought but I don't have stellar stats. I am a UD with a grad GPA of 3.56 and an MCAT of 24. ECs are EMT/Firefighter for 7 years, trained probies, worked in a UMDNJ lab for a year and got great recs, worked at an ER for 4 years as a patient care tech, honors frat, awards for leadership, did the school council and etc. I thought I did well in my interview but i'm not sure. I def made an impression but who knows if it was good enough. It's rough. Well that's prob not it because someone that interviewed a week ahead of me got the call and i didn't so. Its rough. I interviewed Oct 9th. I agree that it's a task and i'm hoping for the best but idk. I'm at the grief stage. I'm sure the other applicants can relate. I haven't eaten dinner, just in that grief stage. This really is my top choice and I really want to be a DO. I wanted it so bad like everyone else on this forum but who knows. I'll wait for monday but i'm not too sure how much hope i have.

Wow. You beat me out in ECs for sure. Man just reading this post gives me hope because there's no way they would reject/WL someone who has done so much, so maybe Monday is a real possibility. We just don't know.

Lets take it easy this weekend so that way we can start stressing out again on Monday.
 
Wow. You beat me out in ECs for sure. Man just reading this post gives me hope because there's no way they would reject/WL someone who has done so much, so maybe Monday is a real possibility. We just don't know.

Lets take it easy this weekend so that way we can start stressing out again on Monday.

Take it easy, yea idk if any of us can. I'll just have to remind myself to not freak out. Sort of feels like limbo though.
 
Your ECs are awesome though, I'm jealous! If your stats weren't good, they wouldn't have interviewed you. It's easier to see these things when you aren't the applicant. We focus on our weaknesses, not our strengths.

I agree. A few schools (including UMDNJ) have told me that if one gets invited for an interview, s/he has passed the scores/academic evaluation of the process. 🙂
 
Please excuse the weird question, but did you guys send the secondary in a regular envelope? Not sure if they mind me folding each page of the app...
 
How do you know we didnt just all not get accepted?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using SDN Mobile

Because my interviewer stated the possibility of a Monday call, and past threads have also been called on Monday. Also blind hope 🙂
 
Because my interviewer stated the possibility of a Monday call, and past threads have also been called on Monday. Also blind hope 🙂

I just can't believe 4+ SDN hopefuls were waitlisted/rejected. Usually people that post regularly end up doing pretty well for themselves and then some other people who lurk come out when they are accepted. That has been the trend I've noticed so I just find it hard to believe that people who felt so good leaving the interview were all rejected/waitlisted.

Just my thoughts...I think there will be calls going out on Monday.
 
I just can't believe 4+ SDN hopefuls were waitlisted/rejected. Usually people that post regularly end up doing pretty well for themselves and then some other people who lurk come out when they are accepted. That has been the trend I've noticed so I just find it hard to believe that people who felt so good leaving the interview were all rejected/waitlisted.

Just my thoughts...I think there will be calls going out on Monday.

Just so everyone knows, no one is rejected post interview. You are either accepted or waitlisted. And you are right, sometimes calls do extend until Monday. So don't all lose hope! Also, if you do get waitlisted, the waitlist moves a lot, so you still would have a good shot of being accepted!

Good luck to everyone!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Because my interviewer stated the possibility of a Monday call, and past threads have also been called on Monday. Also blind hope 🙂

Blind hope more than anything for me. I looked at last year's forum and there were a lot more acceptance posts. I also find it weird that the interviewers called yesterday. When I spoke with the secretaries, they said they usually do it or the director so I find it weird. Again, who knows.
 
Blind hope more than anything for me. I looked at last year's forum and there were a lot more acceptance posts. I also find it weird that the interviewers called yesterday. When I spoke with the secretaries, they said they usually do it or the director so I find it weird. Again, who knows.

It depends on the interviewer, some of them want to call personally.
 
I didn't hear anything on Friday either and I felt really good about my interview. Maybe whoever was going to call was just really busy yesterday??
 
Does anyone know how long they take to make a decision?

I was interviewed on 16th and I heard that the decision would be made on 19th.

I didnt receive a call so I'm guessing that I am now being waitlisted or rejected.

But I'm still surprised that they would actually accept/reject me after two days.

Also, my interviewer told me that the decision would be made in two weeks so I'm a little bit confused here.

Do I have to wait til November to get the call or do they actually process that fast?

Any insight would be helpful..
 
Does anyone know how long they take to make a decision?

I was interviewed on 16th and I heard that the decision would be made on 19th.

I didnt receive a call so I'm guessing that I am now being waitlisted or rejected.

But I'm still surprised that they would actually accept/reject me after two days.

Also, my interviewer told me that the decision would be made in two weeks so I'm a little bit confused here.

Do I have to wait til November to get the call or do they actually process that fast?

Any insight would be helpful..



Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using SDN Mobile