University of Arizona c/o 2024?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Were we supposed to get an email after we submitted out supplemental application?
It seemed like some people got emails afterwards. They just told me they have my app and anticipate informing people of interviews in 4-6 weeks

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! UACVM admissions office here. Once you complete your supplemental assessment it then comes to us for review. We review assessments when we receive them. After your supplemental assessment was scored, you get an email from the admissions office indicating we are reviewing all materials for an MMI invite. MMI invitations are rolling so even though you didn't get an invitation this last round, you can get one from now until January. MMIs will be from November to March of next year. If you want more information pertaining to your application please email the admissions office at [email protected]

Reactions: 9 users
Hello! UACVM admissions office here. Once you complete your supplemental assessment it then comes to us for review. We review assessments when we receive them. After your supplemental assessment was scored, you get an email from the admissions office indicating we are reviewing all materials for an MMI invite. MMI invitations are rolling so even though you didn't get an invitation this last round, you can get one from now until January. MMIs will be from November to March of next year. If you want more information pertaining to your application please email the admissions office at [email protected]
Thank you for taking the time to become a member and help our people applying do it right and answer questions during this process. It is greatly appreciated by all!
gallery_15587_3010_2599.gif

Reactions: 6 users
Thank you so much! We can already tell from your post that your program truly is student centered. We appreciate your guidance during this stressful time!

Reactions: 1 user
I do feel like everything has been incredibly organized and the teachers have been wonderful with responses, staying organized, and making sure we have a good experience. The classes are easily laid out for what we need to do-the way our teaching and learning is laid out is largely a flipped classroom style, meaning we have pre-work we do, and then when we're in class, we have three different ways of learning:

1. We have PI questions-this is where we answer questions (think clicker style questions) individually from the pre-work (this is reading that was assigned, and there is typically an assignment of some kind to go along with this reading that you get points for) and if 2. We have TBL (team based learning) sessions-this is where we get cases or questions that we work through with a group in breakout rooms for a longer duration and then we come back together and discuss our thoughts as a class.
3. We have iRAT/tRAT questions-this is where we have an individual 'test' (usually a set of a few questions) again from the pre-work that we answer individually, and then we go into our breakout rooms with your group to work through the same questions as a team, you can gain additional points here that you may have missed from your iRAT. We convene together as a group once your tRAT is done and do a similar style of learning to the PI questions where we work through the questions to talk about why the answers are correct, ask additional questions, etc.

If you are ever unhappy with how a question was worded during one of your learning sessions, you can submit an appeal with justification that the teacher will then look at and award points back at justified- they have been very understanding and have often recognized the error of the wording before we get a chance to submit appeals and have given credit to save everyone time.
At no point are we ever really 'lectured'- we do reading and pre-work prior to our learning sessions that is then applied. Each course opens 1 week ahead of time so if you want to get ahead, you have that opportunity. We have case based learning through a program called Thinkspace and then reading assignment questions that we have had so far as pre-work. Each class is easily laid out with objectives, terms, pre-work, when it's due, your assignment, etc. As far as scheduling goes- the days vary. Today I had class from 8-2, yesterday I had class 8-12, Wednesday was 8-11 and then I had lab 2:30-4, tomorrow is 8-4:30 (this is the longest day we've had so far). I would say a typical day is 8-2 or 8-12 with the occasional longer or shorter day sprinkled in. We have 1-2 in person labs per week with the campus varying, so far we've only been at the Hanley campus in Oro Valley, but in 2 weeks we start at the Agricultural Campus for large animal.

The facilities are beautiful, we've done live animal handling starting our second lab (1st lab was non-animal handling, we've done dog safety/restraint, a heart anatomy/dissection lab, and a cat safety/handling lab so far). There are student lounges and study rooms in Oro Valley with a kitchen, conference rooms, meditation room, etc and then our facilities for learning are all technologically very nice, there's tv's throughout for everyone to see what's going on, nice wet tables that are well ventilated, we're supplied lab coats each session that are washed for us as well as PPE when needed based on the lab, they're roomy so you never feel cramped, they've done a good job at breaking up the lab sessions so there's a good division of teachers/students.

The first week was rough adjusting, but I think that would be standard across the board regardless of who you asked. You are learning how to learn in a new format, study effectively and efficiently, I personally moved here by myself with my support system 1,800 miles away so that's been a big change in and of itself, and then you have the social and academic pressure of keeping up with your classmates and accepting that you're not always going to know everything all the time. I've learned to give myself grace and accept its okay to not know something or admit that in front of 109 of my classmates, we've all been there so far.

Our teachers really want us to succeed and have made that obvious by how available they have made themselves and their style of teaching, they are always excited and willing to answer questions and have gone above and beyond, they've been kind and caring and I do truly feel like they're invested. There are always multiple doctors in our labs at all times to help with whatever questions we have/want to learn/etc and they've always been willing to stay after our sessions to continue to answer our questions. During our longer sessions we are given multiple brain breaks and they never stop us from answering questions- if we don't get to questions it's okay, we've never felt pressured to stop asking questions or feel like we're bothering them. During any given session we also have multiple doctors on as well so its nice to have different perspectives of an answer or a case, so whether that be from an internist, a pathologist, an ER focused doctor, an equine focused doctor, an anesthesiologist, we've gotten a really great variety in teaching so far and that's been really wonderful to have.

To sum up your question on if I feel crammed or not- the answer at this second would be no. I chose this program because they emphasized the work life balance and that was important to me. I feel like they've done a really good job at sticking to their word of maintaining that balance so far. I'm much happier having pre-work and learning this way than sitting in lecture from 8-5 and then studying after personally. I feel like I've been absorbing the material much better now than I ever did in undergrad and don't feel like I don't have time to not do anything else. I work every other Saturday for 10 hours, I've gone out a few times with friends, I find leisure time in my schedule to run errands and give myself a brain break by watching trashy reality tv and my pre-work is normally done 4-5 days ahead of time and I review the material for the next class the night before. Many of my classmates are parents and/or have continued to work, so we're all finding out what works for us, but I think that they're doing a good job at keeping us in a healthy balance.
I hope this answers all of your questions, please let me know if you have anymore, I am more than happy to answer them!

Hi! What does the pre-work consist of if you haven’t learned the material yet?

Did anyone receive anything from U of A? I didn't receive anything yet :/ Now I am worried that I really really bombed the supplemental. :(

Did anyone receive anything from U of A? I didn't receive anything yet :/ Now I am worried that I really really bombed the supplemental. :(
I haven’t heard anything. Feeling the same way :(

Members don't see this ad :)
They are working on the applications that were submitted the week of September 14th im sorry.

Reactions: 2 users
They are working on the applications that were submitted the week of September 14th im sorry.
Thank you for clarifying and for the information! I submitted my application on the 15th of September so I am assuming that I might get an invite next Monday. You calmed my nerves!

Thank you for clarifying and for the information! I submitted my application on the 15th of September so I am assuming that I might get an invite next Monday. You calmed my nerves!
You're welcome!!! Don't worry, especially since they said they will be having interviews till March!

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Hi! What does the pre-work consist of if you haven’t learned the material yet?

The pre-work consists of learning the material and then applying it. So, for example, we may be assigned a module where we have chapter readings we have to do, and then a module to work through and answer questions that apply what we just read- we'll have pictures shown, cases to work through, etc. We may have modules where we have videos and questions that will relate to the videos to answer. We may have modules where we have just cases. It largely depends on the class/teacher, but what I mentioned is the majority of the pre-work we've had so far. The pre-work is about you doing the lecture/reading on your own, applying the material, and then coming into class with a basic understanding of the topic. Please let me know if this answers your question/if you have any more questions. Sorry for the delay in my response!

I just checked my junk mail and I got an email on Monday that my application is under review!! Hoping to hear something soon.

I just checked my junk mail and I got an email on Monday that my application is under review!! Hoping to hear something soon.
Interesting, never received any sort of email about reviewing my application. Hope to receive some good new this coming Monday!

Hey everyone! For current students, would someone be available to meet with me when I am in Arizona on the 28th and walk me around the college (even outside) and ask questions?

Hey! I hope everyone had a good weekend. Has anyone heard anything on when the next round of interview invites will be sent out? Thanks!

Hey! I hope everyone had a good weekend. Has anyone heard anything on when the next round of interview invites will be sent out? Thanks!
Nope, but I’m sitting here not so patiently waiting!

I still didn't receive an email saying that my application is under review. :sorry: I am losing hope..

Now not so patiently waiting for the next round of invites to be sent...

I submitted my supplemental on 9/14 and just got the email last week so I don’t think hope is lost for you!
I am just hoping it comes in the next weeks. I am spamming my email every Monday. This is definitely not healthy. :laugh:

I submitted my application on 9/15 and I took the supplemental on 9/25
I'm in the same boat, I took my supplemental on 9/28. I'm trying not to panic yet... hopefully next Monday we'll hear something

• Care
Just got an email that my application is under review!

Reactions: 2 users
I didn’t receive mine until 8pm EST last week. It seems like they sent them at the very end of the day! Hoping you guys receive them today!
When did you submit you’re supplemental application?

Cool thanks! So it took about 3 full weeks from the time you submitted the supplemental to the time you received an interview invite

Yes, roughly 3 weeks! I did submit my VMCAS application back in August, so I feel like I got my Supplemental Application invite very early which may have sped up the process for me. If you did yours after the VMCAS close date, they probably have a lot more applications to go through before sending invites. The email update I got after submitting my Supplemental App said that it could take 4-6 weeks, so I would not worry if I was you! UofA said that they are sending invites out until January :)

Yes, roughly 3 weeks! I did submit my VMCAS application back in August, so I feel like I got my Supplemental Application invite very early which may have sped up the process for me. If you did yours after the VMCAS close date, they probably have a lot more applications to go through before sending invites. The email update I got after submitting my Supplemental App said that it could take 4-6 weeks, so I would not worry if I was you! UofA said that they are sending invites out until January :)
Awesome thank you!

Hey everyone! Just checking in again to see if any current students are free on Wednesday to give me a brief tour of the college?

Hopefully, those who took the supplemental around 9/25 hear something back soon. I feel like I bombed the supplemental so I am very upset with myself because I feel like I lost the opportunity to go to this awesome school. U of A, please just tell me my fate. :laugh: I am an anxious wreck and I am checking my email every day. Anyways, here is a picture of me rn during this cycle.
1603747358560.png

Reactions: 4 users
Hopefully, those who took the supplemental around 9/25 hear something back soon. I feel like I bombed the supplemental so I am very upset with myself because I feel like I lost the opportunity to go to this awesome school. U of A, please just tell me my fate. :laugh: I am an anxious wreck and I am checking my email every day. Anyways, here is a picture of me rn during this cycle.
View attachment 321448

I totally doubt that you bombed it! We are our own worst critics. Keep the faith! (Trying to do this myself lol)

• Care
I totally doubt that you bombed it! We are our own worst critics. Keep the faith! (Trying to do this myself lol)
there was one question that I never experienced so I tried to play it cool but I rambled lmao. So much for practicing for a week lol.

View attachment 321448
I feel this sooo much! I also felt like I didn’t do well and I just want to rip the bandaid off and know if I’m getting an interview or not. I really hope I get a chance to prove myself because I would really love to go here!! I’ve been obsessively checking my email today hoping to hear anything!

I feel this sooo much! I also felt like I didn’t do well and I just want to rip the bandaid off and know if I’m getting an interview or not. I really hope I get a chance to prove myself because I would really love to go here!! I’ve been obsessively checking my email today hoping to hear anything!
I agree! I can get over the rejection but I can't get over the waiting game. This isn't good for our psyche lol.

Anyone hear anything tonight? I got the email about being in review 2 weeks ago but nothing since

Anyone hear anything tonight? I got the email about being in review 2 weeks ago but nothing since
same! got the email that my application was under review about 2 weeks ago but haven't heard since. I'm hoping they took a few weeks off or something?? idk but good luck!

same! got the email that my application was under review about 2 weeks ago but haven't heard since. I'm hoping they took a few weeks off or something?? idk but good luck!
How long after submitting your supplemental did you get the email alerting you that your app was under review? I submitted my supplemental on 10/6 and it’s been radio silence...

How long after submitting your supplemental did you get the email alerting you that your app was under review? I submitted my supplemental on 10/6 and it’s been radio silence...

It was about a month! Submitted supplemental on 9/14 and got the "application received and under review" email on 10/15. I wouldn't worry too much :)

Hello! UACVM Admissions Office here. Once your supplemental assessment is reviewed and scored, we will send an email to you indicating that you are officially under review for an MMI. Right now, we are reviewing supplemental assessments that were completed on 09/25. If you are not invited for an MMI right away, you still can be as we review your file every week for an MMI invitation. We have 13 MMI dates and you can be chosen to attend an MMI from now until February. If you have specific questions about your file, please email us at [email protected]

Thank you.

Reactions: 3 users