University of New England (UNECOM) Discussion 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know how many interviews UNECOM gives out and how many they have already given or how full the class is already?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know how many interviews UNECOM gives out and how many they have already given or how full the class is already?

Hmm when I was waitlisted in December, the letter said that the class was already full. But as we get closer to and pass the deposit dates, they are interviewing again and hopefully we will hear back soon!

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone heard anything about when the adcom is meeting next or when they might start using the waitlist? Love this school, dying a bit!

On a side note, does UNE still put people on the ASA?

UNE no longer implements the ASA list.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed here yesterday...when I walked into the room, the DO that was interviewing me said she thought I was a strong candidate. Should that be taken at face value or do they say that to everyone to calm them down?

I interviewed here yesterday...when I walked into the room, the DO that was interviewing me said she thought I was a strong candidate. Should that be taken at face value or do they say that to everyone to calm them down?

Take anything interviewers say with a grain of salt. Don't think too much into it.

Just received an II for late February. I'm at work so I'll post more information later when I get home

Hmm when I was waitlisted in December, the letter said that the class was already full. But as we get closer to and pass the deposit dates, they are interviewing again and hopefully we will hear back soon!

This concerns me a bit. Considering they are giving out interviews this late, then are we all interviewing for the wait list at this moment? This seems backwards.

This concerns me a bit. Considering they are giving out interviews this late, then are we all interviewing for the wait list at this moment? This seems backwards.
They may or may not be doing that. The final day of deposit is June 30th. I was accepted in November, from my understanding it was one of the early batches. The deadline for people accepted November Decemberish is around mid to late February depending on when they paid their first deposit. You have 2 months from your initial 500 dollar first deposit date to submit your final deposit.

I'm assuming a fair number of people who are not planning on going have submitted their initial 500 dollars and saved a seat. They may not pay the second deposit and withdraw their acceptences. Since it's a considerably small fee to save seats the seats likey got filled, but that doesn't mean it's confirmed that it'll stay that way. So after the second payment is due there will be people who choose not to pay it and if they're going elsewhere. Then the people who are being interviewed now and those who are waitlisted would be candidates for those seats. I don't know who would have higher priority in the wait listers or those who are interviewing. But even if it's a late interview I wouldn't count it being automatic waitlist. Because by the time they interview you they may as well have seats available by cause others rejected them.

Sorry for the wall of text. Hope it helps any of you out who may be waiting. Goodluck!

They may or may not be doing that. The final day of deposit is June 30th. I was accepted in November, from my understanding it was one of the early batches. The deadline for people accepted November Decemberish is around mid to late February depending on when they paid their first deposit. You have 2 months from your initial 500 dollar first deposit date to submit your final deposit.

I'm assuming a fair number of people who are not planning on going have submitted their initial 500 dollars and saved a seat. They may not pay the second deposit and withdraw their acceptences. Since it's a considerably small fee to save seats the seats likey got filled, but that doesn't mean it's confirmed that it'll stay that way. So after the second payment is due there will be people who choose not to pay it and if they're going elsewhere. Then the people who are being interviewed now and those who are waitlisted would be candidates for those seats. I don't know who would have higher priority in the wait listers or those who are interviewing. But even if it's a late interview I wouldn't count it being automatic waitlist. Because by the time they interview you they may as well have seats available by cause others rejected them.

Sorry for the wall of text. Hope it helps any of you out who may be waiting. Goodluck!
The second, larger, deposit is refundable until june. So if people have paid $500, they may also pay the $1500 since it is refundable.

Last edited:

Thank you so much for your input. So, I should go in thinking there is still a good chance of acceptance?

How's the interview process like, if someone cares to chime in?

Members don't see this ad :)
The second, larger, deposit is refundable until june. So if people have paid $500, they pay also pay the $1500 since it is refundable.
Yeah, I was just making a point it's a lot easier to fill up seats when you have a small first deposit since it's easier to pay. So those may not reflect the actual number of people who will attend and since it's refundable it's easier for people to drop their seats if they don't want to go there.

Thank you so much for your input. So, I should go in thinking there is still a good chance of acceptance?

My interview was ~20 min. They asked why medicine, why DO, why UNECOM, where do I see myself in 10 years and about some of my volunteer activities. There were two interviewers- one student and one NP and they were both very friendly :)

Not a stressful interview at all

I honestly don't know how good the chances are for anyone waitlisted or interviewing. But I wouldn't think of it as an automatic rejection and do your best and enjoy the interview. It's a great school filled with great people. Just trying to shed some light into the process of filled seats. As @justdoit1234 mentioned it's a refundable second deposit so a lot of people may have paid it or will pay it. I would keep a lookout on the June final date, that's the deadline for when it'll be refundable till. Most people who won't attend will likely try to take their deposit out by then.

II today as well. guess they sent out a bunch today! lol excited to interview. hopefully its not just for a waitlist spot although that what it sounds like on sdn

II today as well. guess they sent out a bunch today! lol excited to interview. hopefully its not just for a waitlist spot although that what it sounds like on sdn

I honestly doubt that is the case. SDN can be a breeding ground for neurotic theories based almost entirely on hearsay. Most if not all medical schools still have openings

Reactions: 1 users
They told me that and I got in. Hope this helps...

Did anyone else get an invite for a reception for current applicants?

Reactions: 4 users
I got the email, I think it's like a information session. It might be helpful for students still making up with mind about it. Doesn't seem like a mandated thing, so I'm gonna save the plane ticket for another time that's required for the accepted class.

II just now, complete 1/13.
Just got a II! Complete Dec 14, LizzyM 65
Just received an II for late February. I'm at work so I'll post more information later when I get home

When is the soonest one can interview at this point? And congrats to all yall.

When is the soonest one can interview at this point? And congrats to all yall.

I didn't get an option. In the II, they gave me my date (Feb 23).

I got one. I'm going to go. I don't know if it will help my chances at this point (waitlisted), but it certainly can't hurt. It's only a 3 hour drive for me, and I found someone to teach my class.

Has anyone been accepted off of the waitlist at all/recently? Interview 12/3 and on the waitlist now.

Hello all! I was sort of out of the blue invited to interview here yesterday. I was really surprised and excited EXCEPT I already put a deposit down for WVSOM. Should I attend the interview?

I don't know a whole lot about the school so if anyone has any reasons I should go or not go it would be very much appreciated! Thanks!

Hello all! I was sort of out of the blue invited to interview here yesterday. I was really surprised and excited EXCEPT I already put a deposit down for WVSOM. Should I attend the interview?

I don't know a whole lot about the school so if anyone has any reasons I should go or not go it would be very much appreciated! Thanks!

I would probably attend the interview unless you're dead set on WVSOM and/or you're an in-state student, considering how much less you'd be paying at WVSOM.

I'm interviewing on Feb 3 - anyone else in the same boat? Any accepted applicants willing to share how they prepared? Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated!

I'm interviewing on Feb 3 - anyone else in the same boat? Any accepted applicants willing to share how they prepared? Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated!
I'll be up there on the 3rd as well. Pretty excited.

I was accepted in November, the only advice I have is to honestly don't stress and enjoy the day. It's a really nice campus and the interviewers are very nice people. They're genuinely inserted in you, so they might ask anything from your app. Know your stuff well, I know someone got stuck on what research she did when asked about it. Have some questions ready to ask, and try not to be nervous. Good luck!

I was accepted in November, the only advice I have is to honestly don't stress and enjoy the day. It's a really nice campus and the interviewers are very nice people. They're genuinely inserted in you, so they might ask anything from your app. Know your stuff well, I know someone got stuck on what research she did when asked about it. Have some questions ready to ask, and try not to be nervous. Good luck!

The biggest thing they stressed in my interview day was that the whole point of the interview was to see if the school is a good fit for you and vice versa. They just want to see if your style as a student matches with their profile. Be yourself, know what you put on your application and why you want to go to UNE, and just think of it as a conversation. They try to make it as stress free as possible. Good luck!!

The biggest thing they stressed in my interview day was that the whole point of the interview was to see if the school is a good fit for you and vice versa. They just want to see if your style as a student matches with their profile. Be yourself, know what you put on your application and why you want to go to UNE, and just think of it as a conversation. They try to make it as stress free as possible. Good luck!!
Sorry I quoted the wrong post lol

Don't judge, but question - does UNECOM drug test? On their site it says they can before matriculation and sporadically throughout the 4 years. Wondering if this is a hair or urine test?

Does UNECOM silent reject? Haven't heard a word since I submitted in September, not sure what to think of it (average stats, west coast)

Does UNECOM silent reject? Haven't heard a word since I submitted in September, not sure what to think of it (average stats, west coast)

I submitted late september last cycle, only got an II in mid-february, interviewed early march. DO cycles tend to run longer and slower, so it's not unusual for it to take a while.

Don't judge, but question - does UNECOM drug test? On their site it says they can before matriculation and sporadically throughout the 4 years. Wondering if this is a hair or urine test?

Been here a while now and I've never heard of it. I'm assuming once you get to the wards 3rd year they'll do some testing. It would be a good idea to scale back and/or stop now, there's some time for recreational weekend nonsense in first/second year but your time to "experiment" before becoming a real person is winding down. Prepare to completely stop activities like that by 3rd year (when you'll be responsible for patients, a positive drug test will ruin your career).

interviewed 1/14, waitlisted today. they said they have "transitioned to their waitlist period"

interviewed 1/14, waitlisted today. they said they have "transitioned to their waitlist period"

Does that mean they are done interviewing for the cycle?