University of New England (UNECOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Complete email!

Members don't see this ad.

do you guys know when the earliest II can be expected?
Last year the first II was Sept 3rd. The complete emails were sent Aug 5th, so we appear to be around the same timeline.

Last year the first II was Sept 3rd. The complete emails were sent Aug 5th, so we appear to be around the same timeline.
Still waiting for my complete email. I got be payment received email on the 25th of July so I'm sure I should get it soon

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone confirm that all classes are mandatory now, beginning this year? I got some intel from an MS-1, but I'm still incredulous about this.

I got into some intel that suggests that class attendance is now mandatory; historically it has not been. I wanted to confirm with someone else.
Oh okay I see now what you are saying. I feel like that isn't a bad thing. :)

Oh okay I see now what you are saying. I feel like that isn't a bad thing. :)
If you were going to go to class anyway, then it has no effect on you. If you weren't going to go to class, like the vast majority of medical students, then it is a massive inconvenience and waste of time. There is a reason very few schools have mandatory lecture.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
If you were going to go to class anyway, then it has no effect on you. If you weren't going to go to class, like the vast majority of medical students, then it is a massive inconvenience and waste of time. There is a reason very few schools have mandatory lecture.
This is a serious question. If you got into medical school, and you are paying that much, why wouldn't you 1) just go and 2) be super excited to go!

No, and absolutely not. Sitting through lecture is probably the least effective mode of learning for most people. At most schools, lectures are recorded and can be watched, from the comfort of anywhere, at 1.5x - 2x speed. If you need to hear something again, jump back a minute. If you don't understand or want to cross-reference something, hit pause.

No, and absolutely not. Sitting through lecture is probably the least effective mode of learning for most people. At most schools, lectures are recorded and can be watched, from the comfort of anywhere, at 1.5x - 2x speed. If you need to hear something again, jump back a minute. If you don't understand or want to cross-reference something, hit pause.
Oh no way I didn't know they did that. That's pretty cool. I never minded going I would feel horrible not going to a medical school class tho..... That's me though

Oh no way I didn't know they did that. That's pretty cool. I never minded going I would feel horrible not going to a medical school class tho..... That's me though

Every MS-1 feels the same way....until a couple of months in when you realize that you're drowning and every moment spent sitting in lecture is a moment that is not spent studying. I'm really hoping they redact this new attendance thing -- hopefully the current MS-1's will push to change it.

Members don't see this ad :)
More time in class = less time to study for boards.

Hi, I'm a current UNECOM student right now and I can confirm that yes, all classes are now mandatory. Having said that, in you first year, you're not going to be worrying about studying for the boards. What you will have to worry about is studying for exams, etc, which going to lecture and classes will help you do. In addition, all lectures are recorded and put online after the class, so you're free to review them, speed them up, slow them down etc at your leisure. And lastly, not all of the classes are straight up lectures where you sit and stare at the teachers. Some lectures are like that, but they're also interactive, other classes are integrated classes that help tie everything together, small group case based learning classes etc etc etc.

Hi, I'm a current UNECOM student right now and I can confirm that yes, all classes are now mandatory. Having said that, in you first year, you're not going to be worrying about studying for the boards. What you will have to worry about is studying for exams, etc, which going to lecture and classes will help you do. In addition, all lectures are recorded and put online after the class, so you're free to review them, speed them up, slow them down etc at your leisure. And lastly, not all of the classes are straight up lectures where you sit and stare at the teachers. Some lectures are like that, but they're also interactive, other classes are integrated classes that help tie everything together, small group case based learning classes etc etc etc.

I'm not saying this sarcastically, but can you do me a favor? Can you update us in a few months? Honestly, it would be great to see if you still feel that it's not a hindrance because, us not being intimately familiar with the day-to-day, it's impossible to say what the implications of this are. I think it would be helpful to a lot of people.

While I'm inclined to agree with parts of your assessment, my husband just graduated in May (not from UNECOM). He, traditionally, is a pretty avid classroom-learner. However, after about halfway through his first year, he was rarely in class and sat in our office studying. He constantly mentioned the increased efficiency of being at home, being able to go through lectures in half the time, and having the freedom to cover the necessities at his own pace. Having observed his progress, helping him study, and supporting him through all of it, I can tell you that having the ability to CHOOSE is pretty invaluable. If class is optional, a student can cover the material in a way that suits their personal academic needs; if class is mandatory, there is a risk of forcing students to adapt to personally ineffective study modalities that could ultimately be quite detrimental to retention.

Last edited:
The same exact thing happened to me. I'm debating whether I should call and have them hold my application until I get the DO letter in or just see how it plays out.
You don't NEED a DO letter, you can use an MD letter in place.

You don't NEED a DO letter, you can use an MD letter in place.
You don't need an MD or a DO letter. Several people have gained acceptances with a letter from an employer, etc.

No worries! If you app is complete, you have a shot! Best of luck to everyone applying!

Last edited:
Scanning past threads, it seems as though interview invites typically start being sent out between ~August 20th and September 3rd. :whistle:

Reactions: 1 users
INTERVIEW INVITE!

2° submitted 7/21, IS, 71 LizzyM
Congratulations!! Are you interviewing in the morning or afternoon? Do you mind sharing which day?

Also, what are you most excited about in this school?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Congratulations!! Are you interviewing in the morning or afternoon? Do you mind sharing which day?

Also, what are you most excited about in this school?
I'm not sure how specific I want to get on a public thread. You can PM me if you want.

As for the school, what456 kinda nailed it. Everyone I've met/talked to there has been really great with very positive things to say. And I love the area, I really don't want to leave.

Totally spaced and slept on this secondary, received it 1+ month ago. Is it still worth it to submit it?

Congrats! You were complete as in received "the" email 7/19, or did you submit your secondary with payment confirmation by 7/19?
Wait I lied. Submitted 7/19 complete 8/12. Sorry about that

Got an interview but had to email and reschedule the date they gave me. Hopefully that won't affect me negatively

Got an interview but had to email and reschedule the date they gave me. Hopefully that won't affect me negatively
What date are you switching to/what was your original date? I may need to switch as well

Totally spaced and slept on this secondary, received it 1+ month ago. Is it still worth it to submit it?
done. Dam such an easy secondary, definitely wish I did this earlier.