University of Tennessee c/o 2023 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey dude, so sorry to hear about this! I understand your frustration and understand the pain of rejection. I was frustrated too when I got rejected the first time I applied! But please try and be compassionate and understanding towards the people in admissions! They work hard going through all the applications and sometimes, things happen that are out of our control!

I would like to let you know that even if you do get a hold of one of them, it might still take more time to get your application review. When I got rejected, I didn't get my application review until May! This is of course, to be expected since there are other applicants that want their applications reviewed as well. I completely understand not being able to stand still, but patience is an important quality to have in veterinary medicine :happy:
Thanks man ur reply was very helpful! Tysm! :)

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys! I'm an OOS alternate and have been following this thread for a while now! I didn't really know if I should get my hopes up or not about moving from the waiting list. Does anyone in previous classes kind of know how the waiting list moves? I was going to call in the next couple weeks to find out more information regarding it!

hey guys! I'm an OOS alternate and have been following this thread for a while now! I didn't really know if I should get my hopes up or not about moving from the waiting list. Does anyone in previous classes kind of know how the waiting list moves? I was going to call in the next couple weeks to find out more information regarding it!

I don’t know how much it moves, but try to wait until after April 15 because that’s the deadline to confirm acceptance. After that date they should know a whole lot more about how many spots are actually available.

Members don't see this ad :)
After we have sent in our letters of intent, will we receive an email or anything about how to proceed with the things we need to complete before matriculation? I'm nervous that I'm going to miss a deadline or something!

Reactions: 1 user
After we have sent in our letters of intent, will we receive an email or anything about how to proceed with the things we need to complete before matriculation? I'm nervous that I'm going to miss a deadline or something!
Yeah you'll get emails, it may be a bit though, so don't worry! You won't miss any deadlines :)

Reactions: 1 users
@WildZoo Would you say that most of your class is comprised of first-time applicants? Or do you even talk about that kind of thing once you're there in veterinary school?

@WildZoo Would you say that most of your class is comprised of first-time applicants? Or do you even talk about that kind of thing once you're there in veterinary school?
I'm not sure of percentages or anything since I haven't talk to everyone about it, but off the top of my head I know a few who got in on their second try, a few on their third or fourth. I would guess that most people it was their first? Just based on the "random" sampling that is my friend group.

I’m a third time applicant that was accepted this cycle. :) Also... Completely non-traditional student. So, don’t ever lose hope.

Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone know if you are able to get instate resident tuition after a few years m? Or are you forced to pay 4 years of OOS tuition?

From what I gathered from interviewing there, they said that your parents can either move to TN OR you can get married to someone (TN res initially or not) and they need to be working a full time job in TN. Those are the two things that can get you IS status, from what I understand. She (Dr. Kirk) was pretty clear about it.

From what I gathered from interviewing there, they said that your parents can either move to TN OR you can get married to someone (TN res initially or not) and they need to be working a full time job in TN. Those are the two things that can get you IS status, from what I understand. She (Dr. Kirk) was pretty clear about it.
Anyone know any willing and eligible bachelors who may be residents of Tennessee? Asking for a friend....

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know any willing and eligible bachelors who may be residents of Tennessee? Asking for a friend....
One of my friends may have made a similar comment while giving IS interview tours. And another while we were introducing ourselves during and OOS info session. Of course she was offering herself as an option since she is in state :laugh:

One of my friends may have made a similar comment while giving IS interview tours. And another while we were introducing ourselves during and OOS info session. Of course she was offering herself as an option since she is in state :laugh:
LOL can I have her number??

Hey y’all, I had my folder review with UTCVM today and was hoping to get some advice on how to up my interview skills? I work at a veterinary clinic right now, and I feel so comfortable talking to my coworkers, clients, etc. but I do tend to be the “quiet” one most of the time. I’ve just never been a good talker. Apparently in my interview they wished I had elaborated more rather than simple answers. They also felt I didn’t understand the profession as much as they prefer but in my head I don’t feel that way at all and to be honest I don’t remember much of my interview because I was so nervous which most likely affected my answers.. any tips?? I feel like i have the knowledge yet I’m unable to verbalize it.. i hope this makes sense

Hey y’all, I had my folder review with UTCVM today and was hoping to get some advice on how to up my interview skills? I work at a veterinary clinic right now, and I feel so comfortable talking to my coworkers, clients, etc. but I do tend to be the “quiet” one most of the time. I’ve just never been a good talker. Apparently in my interview they wished I had elaborated more rather than simple answers. They also felt I didn’t understand the profession as much as they prefer but in my head I don’t feel that way at all and to be honest I don’t remember much of my interview because I was so nervous which most likely affected my answers.. any tips?? I feel like i have the knowledge yet I’m unable to verbalize it.. i hope this makes sense
Are you still in undergrad? Do they do mock interviews?

Are you still in undergrad? Do they do mock interviews?
I’m fixing to graduate in a couple of months. I know there is a career center that is supposed to help with resumes and stuff like that. I’ve been meaning to stop by and see what all they offer.

I’m fixing to graduate in a couple of months. I know there is a career center that is supposed to help with resumes and stuff like that. I’ve been meaning to stop by and see what all they offer.
I would definitely do that to see if they do mock interviews, or at least can give you some tips

Do you remember what questions they asked that were getting at what you know about the profession, or things you talked about along those lines? Hard to give specific feedback on making sure you understand it without knowing what the level of understanding that you demonstrated was.

Have you ever taken a debate or public speaking class? Tbh, I never have but I’ve been tempted to because of exactly what you’re describing. I feel like they would give you valuable skills to clearly say what it is you want to say and be comfortable doing it in front of people you don’t know.

I also definitely recommend the mock interviews too. Plus that’s probably easier to do!

Hey everyone! Has anyone tried to find out what their placement is on the alternate list? I sent an email last week, but I don't want to seem naggy by sending another since I haven't heard back. If they are doing folder reviews at this point though, that leads me to conclude that there are people in office now who can help answer these sorts of questions?

Hey everyone! Has anyone tried to find out what their placement is on the alternate list? I sent an email last week, but I don't want to seem naggy by sending another since I haven't heard back. If they are doing folder reviews at this point though, that leads me to conclude that there are people in office now who can help answer these sorts of questions?
I'd probably call rather than email. Emails are more likely to get lost in the shuffle between applicants, accepted students, and current students all vying for administration's attention!

I would call, any time I had questions during the application process I discovered I was more likely to get a quick answer from a phone call than email

hey! has anyone started looking at housing around UT? Any current students have suggestions for where to look? Thank you!

I'd probably call rather than email. Emails are more likely to get lost in the shuffle between applicants, accepted students, and current students all vying for administration's attention!
Who is the best person to call? I’ve tried several times and I never get someone to answer.

hey! has anyone started looking at housing around UT? Any current students have suggestions for where to look? Thank you!

I’ve started looking but don’t know much. Zillow has some good options. I’m looking for a house with a fenced yard and it looks like 1-1.5K+/month.

I think she’s out of the office for a while, that’s who I have attempted calling at least 10 times... maybe I’m just unlucky
Have you tried leaving her a message? There was one time she was out but still checking messages and gave me a call back

I’ve started looking but don’t know much. Zillow has some good options. I’m looking for a house with a fenced yard and it looks like 1-1.5K+/month.

We've started looking for something similar and haven't had luck either. I'm thinking the market will be better closer to summertime? Wishful thinking maybe haha!

My class will be setting up a facebook page for your class sometime soon. My class will initially be a part of your facebook group, so it will be a good chance to ask us about housing! It's also a good way to find roommates as well, if you are wanting to live with someone within your class (or ours!).

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone waitlisted hear about their placement? (I have indeed tried calling). :) just asking to see if anyone else has gotten through.

I just called this morning and left a message, and Deborah called me back within minutes! I am an OOS alternate and she told me what third of the waitlist I'm in. Hope this helps!

My class will be setting up a facebook page for your class sometime soon. My class will initially be a part of your facebook group, so it will be a good chance to ask us about housing! It's also a good way to find roommates as well, if you are wanting to live with someone within your class (or ours!).

Are you’re a current student at UTenn ? Would it be okay if I asked you a few questions? I’m trying to decide between UTenn and KState and am completely stuck! I’ll be visiting Knoxville next weekend to try to help make my decision (right after my interview I had to scurry home and didn’t get to really look around, because a huge snowstorm was coming and I had no desire to drive through the mountains in the snow!)

Are you’re a current student at UTenn ? Would it be okay if I asked you a few questions? I’m trying to decide between UTenn and KState and am completely stuck! I’ll be visiting Knoxville next weekend to try to help make my decision (right after my interview I had to scurry home and didn’t get to really look around, because a huge snowstorm was coming and I had no desire to drive through the mountains in the snow!)
When are you going to be in Knoxville? I'm going next week, too!

When are you going to be in Knoxville? I'm going next week, too!

March 29-31 probably, I’m leaving Thursday and driving down, staying in Knoxville friday and probably part of Saturday, and then swinging by Nashville on the way back up north. It’s been fun trying to fit in vet school visits and interviews in between classes and work!

Absolutely! Feel free to PM me! Hopefully I got answers to questions!

Hey everyone!

I'm still trying to make a decision about where to go. One thing I was wondering, what do students do during the summers? Are there any opportunities to gain experiences in different countries?

Thanks!

I'm unsure if there are organized trips with UTCVM to other countries. There is a list of faculty that have connections in other countries and can help set up externships though! There is also a club here for students interested in international experiences that will send out information regarding opportunities. We also get information from the school regarding scholarships to fund international travel expenses. There are some external opportunities to gain experiences in different countries through organizations such as World Vets. :)

Hi everyone I am currently deciding between a couple of great schools and have a couple of additional questions I was hoping current students could help answer for me. 1) What is the format of testing? Is it a midterm and a final or is there one test a week and the classes rotate? 2) Is there any opportunities to work in the hospital during first and second year as a tech or on emergency teams like colic team etc and do you have enough free time to do so? 3) What do the majority of students do during the summer aside from research? I am an OOS student and don't know if most oos people go home for the summer or find work in the area or at the school since your are still paying for an apartment. Thanks in advance!

To anyone who has accepted their offer, have you heard back from UT with more information?

To anyone who has accepted their offer, have you heard back from UT with more information?
I haven’t. A first year told me it seemed like it took forever last year. I wonder if they wait until after April 15 to send in bulk.

For those accepted: I recieved an email today asking for additional information to get set up in their system. Check your emails!

Hi everyone I am currently deciding between a couple of great schools and have a couple of additional questions I was hoping current students could help answer for me. 1) What is the format of testing? Is it a midterm and a final or is there one test a week and the classes rotate? 2) Is there any opportunities to work in the hospital during first and second year as a tech or on emergency teams like colic team etc and do you have enough free time to do so? 3) What do the majority of students do during the summer aside from research? I am an OOS student and don't know if most oos people go home for the summer or find work in the area or at the school since your are still paying for an apartment. Thanks in advance!
We have a midterm and a final week. For opportunities, we have the small animal emergency team and large animal emergency team. These aren't paid positions and its a sign up for a shift sort of thing. From what I can tell, people usually have time to do one or two shifts a month. Occasionally a paid position opens up that we can apply to. There aren't many summer opportunities available from the vet school itself aside from a summer research program. What people do over the summer will vary depending on the person. Some people go home, some go back to work at their former place of work, and some find externships.

Hope that somewhat helps! Let me know if you would like more information on something!

To add to the above....

There are actually several paid positions in the hospital

1. Small animal ECC assistant - this one grew out of the unpaid small animal emergency team. Once you've worked a certain number of unpaid shifts you can apply for the paid position. Weekend shifts in small animal ER.

2. Large animal ECC assistant - Similar to above, but in the large animal hospital. You don't have to be part of the large animal emergency team to apply. Weekend and overnight shifts in large animal, you help with inpatient treatments and any emergencies that come in.

3. Clin path - on call to run bloodwork for emergencies in the small or large animal hospital after hours

4. Small animal surgery assistant - on call as a non sterile assistant for emergency surgeries

Those are the official paid positions I can think of off the top of my head. People also kind of make their own opportunities by talking to clinicians they're interested in working with.

As Bubbles mentioned there is small animal emergency team, large animal emergency team, there's also field services and wildlife care team. They're all structured a little differently but during first and part of second year when I was involved in all of them (before I got the paid job in large animal) I did at least two shifts a month for each.

Who all is doing anatomy bootcamp? I'm really looking forward to it

Who all is doing anatomy bootcamp? I'm really looking forward to it
Me! I think you already know that but I’m just so excited! I’ve also started browsing some housing and looks like it might be hard to find what I want in my price range :(

Me! I think you already know that but I’m just so excited! I’ve also started browsing some housing and looks like it might be hard to find what I want in my price range :(

We aren't having any luck either! We're at the point where we will take basically anything with a fenced in back yard and in a decently safe area.