University of Tennessee c/o 2023 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Keep in mind more things may become available as the school year ends and people move away :)
Make sure to look in South and north knox as the prices tend to be lower there. West Knox is almost always more expensive.

You may have to sacrifice price for proximity to school. Some people do live further away the first three years, just means you wouldn't be able to have a job at the school where you're on call. But that won't work well for clinics so if you do choose somewhere further away remember that as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Me! I think you already know that but I’m just so excited! I’ve also started browsing some housing and looks like it might be hard to find what I want in my price range :(
We aren't having any luck either! We're at the point where we will take basically anything with a fenced in back yard and in a decently safe area.

I haven't found anything either and I don't want to end up living 45 minutes away

We aren't having any luck either! We're at the point where we will take basically anything with a fenced in back yard and in a decently safe area.
Not if I find it first!! I have been using the Zillow app and it’s pretty helpful. You can even include max driving time to school and plug in a key word, such as fenced, to help narrow your search.

I don’t know the neighborhoods specifically but I think I’m aiming for between Farragut and school. Plenty of yoga/workout studios/gyms plus doggy daycares.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Not if I find it first!! I have been using the Zillow app and it’s pretty helpful. You can even include max driving time to school and plug in a key word, such as fenced, to help narrow your search.

I don’t know the neighborhoods specifically but I think I’m aiming for between Farragut and school. Plenty of yoga/workout studios/gyms plus doggy daycares.

Lol! I've been glued to Zillow too. That's smart to put in keywords!! Hadn't tried that yet. We are also aiming for Farragut-ish, but have found that houses are more expensive over there.. not that I'm surprised haha!

I feel like I'm trying to decide what variables are going to be most important, because it's hard to get the perfect combination of a good area, close to school, fence, close to family, etc... I'm thinking I'd rather be close to school than in a "nice area", since we are looking to buy and don't want to have to move for fourth year.

I'm trying to be patient and wait until summer when more students are putting their houses on the market, but I'm starting to get antsy lol!

Last edited:
How far is too far to be on-call? 30 minutes? I'm looking for a great blend of safe and cheap. I made the mistake of living cheap and close at my current institution, and I really never want my house broken into again (my doggo got out, we found him, but still, I was a mess). Is the area around campus generally ok? Has anyone looked at the crime map on zillow? Is that a good indicator of where to avoid?

How far is too far to be on-call? 30 minutes? I'm looking for a great blend of safe and cheap. I made the mistake of living cheap and close at my current institution, and I really never want my house broken into again (my doggo got out, we found him, but still, I was a mess). Is the area around campus generally ok? Has anyone looked at the crime map on zillow? Is that a good indicator of where to avoid?

Someone else may have a better answer for this, but I was randomly reading through a handbook online the other day (because, ya know, excitement lol) and I think it said they want you to be within 20 minutes of campus once you start clinicals. I'm not sure if that's still accurate, but I've used it as a guideline just in case.

And I'll be interested to see what someone who currently lives in the area has to say about what is/isn't considered safe these days. That's mucho important to me too.

Avoid East Knoxville and the Fort area (not sure why you would want to live there anyway, bleh, undergrads). Everywhere else is pretty safe.

You want to be within 20 minutes of campus 4th year (and that's with traffic, and time to get out the door once you're called in).

I just got an apartment with Papermill Square with my fiance for a decent price ($679/mo). We're 10-15 min from the school and they are allowing us to have my two cats, red eared slider and his parrot. There is a dog park there, too. (I'm waitlisted OOS, but will definitely be applying IS this May, so I'm hoping to have better chances this year!).

Also, do any of the students here know Ed Ramsay? I'm doing my senior capstone on CDV in wild tiger populations and I came across an article he co-wrote!! I was extremely overwhelmed that he helped test CDV vaccine safety over at Tiger Haven.

I just got an apartment with Papermill Square with my fiance for a decent price ($679/mo). We're 10-15 min from the school and they are allowing us to have my two cats, red eared slider and his parrot. There is a dog park there, too. (I'm waitlisted OOS, but will definitely be applying IS this May, so I'm hoping to have better chances this year!).

Also, do any of the students here know Ed Ramsay? I'm doing my senior capstone on CDV in wild tiger populations and I came across an article he co-wrote!! I was extremely overwhelmed that he helped test CDV vaccine safety over at Tiger Haven.
Probably everyone here knows Dr. Ramsay haha and he knows...like all the zoo people. Lots of zoo and wildlife vets either went to school or did some training at Tennessee or Davis so lots of connections, plus the zoo world is so small anyway they all know each other.

He's given several lunch talks and such on that CDV study and the vaccine development

• Love
That is so exciting... I nearly cried when I realized that there were staff there with interest of studying big cats and disease spread impacting them. Epidemiology of CDV in exotic felids combines many of my own interests!

Fingers crossed for either waitlist movement or a better shot next cycle! :)

Hey everyone and welcome to those that have accepted a seat at UT. For anyone that is interested in the Anatomy Boot Camp course, feel free to shoot me a message or ask away on here if you have any questions. I took it when I was an incoming 1st year and have taught it with Dr. Reed the last 2 years as well. I'll be a 4th year helping to teach it again this summer as one of my clinical electives so I'm mostly capable of answering anything you all can think of.

Again, congrats and we'll see you all before you know it.

Hey everyone and welcome to those that have accepted a seat at UT. For anyone that is interested in the Anatomy Boot Camp course, feel free to shoot me a message or ask away on here if you have any questions. I took it when I was an incoming 1st year and have taught it with Dr. Reed the last 2 years as well. I'll be a 4th year helping to teach it again this summer as one of my clinical electives so I'm mostly capable of answering anything you all can think of.

:hello:

Members don't see this ad :)

Hi!!! Thanks for offering your help to us newbies! What do we need to bring with us to bootcamp in terms of laptop, scrubs, etc? And do you have any tips for getting the best learning experience in bootcamp? I guess I just don't really know what to expect at all

Hi!!! Thanks for offering your help to us newbies! What do we need to bring with us to bootcamp in terms of laptop, scrubs, etc? And do you have any tips for getting the best learning experience in bootcamp? I guess I just don't really know what to expect at all
Anytime. I truly enjoy what I do and what we do as a group to help prepare you all for the first year. Your two weeks will be very hands-on. Expect 1-3 lecture bits to help break up the dissections, but otherwise you all will be in the lab. Unless something has changed, you won't need any materials for the course, however, the dissection kits and books we use are the same that you'll have to have during the semester. Getting them early is up to you, but we usually take care of all that for the course. Bring your cell phone/tablet for pictures if you'd like a reference for later. Wear clothes that you don't mind getting dirty/stained. Shouldn't be bad, but always better to be safe. Closed toe shoes are highly recommended and maybe required per Dr. Reed. Follow his instructions before mine (obviously). You'll hear more from him as we get closer and the class is finalized.

This boot camp is for you to get comfortable with the lab, us, some of your classmates, and how things will be ran. It's very laid back and is solely what you make of it. One day of the course is about equivalent to one week of the semester's dissection. Don't worry about the material now or even in the summer. Trust me, you'll learn a ton if you apply yourself during the two weeks. We're there to help guide you through the dog, give you the highlights, help prepare you for success in Anatomy your first year here, and most importantly - have some fun before it all kicks in. It will be a lot, but it will be worth the time and money.

Accepted off the IS waitlist today!!! I’m so excited :soexcited:does anyone know if there is a certain laptop that is required?

Reactions: 3 users

Dr. Ramsey is very well known at the school, yeah. He was actually my academic advisor.

The entire exotics team are super great there. I miss working with them

Reactions: 2 users
I just accepted my seat (do we need to send a deposit or anything...? I couldn’t find any other information than just letting them know via mail, so I’m probably going to call today or tomorrow to check) and am now already worrying about housing. I’m bringing my cat and would ideally like to find a roommate to save on rent costs! If anyone has any suggestions please let me know (or just how to go about this whole prep process in general).

I just accepted my seat (do we need to send a deposit or anything...? I couldn’t find any other information than just letting them know via mail, so I’m probably going to call today or tomorrow to check) and am now already worrying about housing. I’m bringing my cat and would ideally like to find a roommate to save on rent costs! If anyone has any suggestions please let me know (or just how to go about this whole prep process in general).
There is no deposit, so no need to worry there
If you want to find a roommate, you may wait a bit until your class facebook page gets set up. You'll be able to connect with members of the class about rooming together, and you'll also get info passed down from the class above about available rooms and such.

ahhh anyone know when we accepted students get more info from UTenn about the next steps now that the 15th has come?
(I know people have said to be patient but I'm simultaneously excited and anxious)

ahhh anyone know when we accepted students get more info from UTenn about the next steps now that the 15th has come?
(I know people have said to be patient but I'm simultaneously excited and anxious)

I feel like we will receive something tomorrow! Total guess but that's what I'm hoping for haha

In so anxious too! I think I was one of the earlier to accept my seat and Anna has gotten contact info from me and set up my UTK account, so if you don’t have those yet that will be happening soon.

Beyond that I have no idea! I am trying to focus on my last two classes this semester so luckily I have something to distract me, at least when I’m not super busy procrastinating. Pleeeease vet school don’t be like Ochem.

In so anxious too! I think I was one of the earlier to accept my seat and Anna has gotten contact info from me and set up my UTK account, so if you don’t have those yet that will be happening soon.

Beyond that I have no idea! I am trying to focus on my last two classes this semester so luckily I have something to distract me, at least when I’m not super busy procrastinating. Pleeeease vet school don’t be like Ochem.

I was thinking the exact same thing in Biochem a minute ago. I don't enjoy memorizing complex molecular structures of 80 million types of carbohydrates. I'm praying that vet school info is more.......relevant..... haha!

I was thinking the exact same thing in Biochem a minute ago. I don't enjoy memorizing complex molecular structures of 80 million types of carbohydrates. I'm praying that vet school info is more.......relevant..... haha!
That’s my other class!! I never want to hear the word “phosphorylate” again.

I wouldn't really expect to hear much from the school in particular in the next few days unless you haven't gotten your email set up. It will take time for them to "finalize" the class as they go through and call people off the waitlist based on decisions.

Over the next month though, I'd expect to get info on the facebook page, and emails from Dr. Kirk with details on orientation and Tennessee Welcome. You'll also likely get something from VBOT about ordering textbooks and supplies. Early in the summer, likely near the end of next month, you'll get your big sib matches.

I just haven’t gotten an email about setting up my email or that they received my letter of intent or anything (I’m not sure if they send some sort of confirmation email when they receive it, but UPS tracking says it got there). I have this irrational fear that it never made it or something!

I just haven’t gotten an email about setting up my email or that they received my letter of intent or anything (I’m not sure if they send some sort of confirmation email when they receive it, but UPS tracking says it got there). I have this irrational fear that it never made it or something!

You could always just call to make sure! I did get emails following my letter and still debated calling to make sure I checked all the boxes because I'm psycho

When did you send your letter?

I sent it this monday, I got the UPS tracking “recieved” message on Wednesday. Anyone know which number I should call? I wasn’t sure who to contact!

Honestly I'd give them a week or two. They probably send stuff out in batches and I'm sure they got a bunch of letters around the same time. But if you want to call, probably Deborah Shepherd would be best.

I sent it this monday, I got the UPS tracking “recieved” message on Wednesday. Anyone know which number I should call? I wasn’t sure who to contact!
I emailed Deborah Shepherd today to see if they received my letter and she called back to tell me they did receive it and someone would call me in the next few weeks to set up my myutk account and stuff.

I did finally get my email about setting up my information and a phone call from them It feels so real now!

Going to look at laptops this evening because my undergrad is having a huge tech sale this week. MAC laptops--- are both the Air and MacBook Pro compatible with examsoft? Is that a question that the techies at Best Buy will know?

Going to look at laptops this evening because my undergrad is having a huge tech sale this week. MAC laptops--- are both the Air and MacBook Pro compatible with examsoft? Is that a question that the techies at Best Buy will know?
We use examsoft at Illinois and my 2012 MBP is compatible. I’m running I think OS sierra?
The techies likely won’t know the requirements of examsoft without looking them up. Best bet is to see if the school has a tech requirements sheet and buy according to those specs. Just in case there’s something beyond examsoft they need to be compatible with.

i use a MBP and my best friend uses an air. both work with examsoft!

Does the school offer deals for student rabies vaccines? I’ve met my deductible but the new year starts in July so wondering if I should to start on that now.

Does the school offer deals for student rabies vaccines? I’ve met my deductible but the new year starts in July so wondering if I should to start on that now.
As far as I'm aware you only get a discount if you're on the student health insurance

If your insurance will pay for it since you met your deductible, DO IT NOW
It costs me $202 per visit to a physical therapist but they cover the rabies vaccine 100%. Go figure.

Just got pulled off the waitlist. Declined my spot. Good luck to everyone waiting!