University of Tennessee c/o 2023 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
To get our minds off of decision send outs, I'd love to learn why some of you are hoping to get into UT (mainly, what drew you to their program?).

Can I answer this as gracefully as I did in my interview?

“Because this is the only school I applied to.” *crickets*

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Can I answer this as gracefully as I did in my interview?

“Because this is the only school I applied to.” *crickets*

Hey, I mean it shows you're dedicated

Reactions: 1 user
I could go on about this for literally ever so I'm going get to try to keep it concise.
1. UTK is my IS school so it's the cheapest option. Although that is really the least notable reason for why I love it, I know I need to mention that the cheapest school usually equals the school you should attend from what I've learned as an SDN member
2. UTKCVM places a large emphasis on the human-animal bond, and has several outreach programs dedicated to it, (as hopeful_vet2023 also mentioned)! This is one of the reasons why I chose vet med and I really want to be involved with the different outreach programs UT has to offer.
2. UTK and Knoxville as a whole both have great opportunities for students who want to work with the ag industry
3. They have a fantastic reputation with the locals (and elsewhere), and since I want to come back to Knox to practice, having a degree from UT would be a major step towards gaining trust and building rapport with my local clients.
4. They have access to literally everything a vet student could ever want. New equine facility, exotics, close relationship with local zoo, large animal and small animal specialties, nutrition center, etc. I have not exactly narrowed down exactly what I want to do in terms of specialties and I know that UTK would allow me to gain exposure to anything I could possibly want.
5. This is probably the biggest one for me. I don't know how they do it, but UTKCVM has cultivated the kindest and most caring atmosphere ever. Their currents students and faculty are some of the best people I've come across in vet med thus far. I was actually convinced for several years that UT was my #2 option, but those words are literally painful to type now haha. I visited so many vet schools over the past 2 years-ish, and no place made me feel the way UT did. When I was at UT for my interview, I had current students coming up to me left and right asking if I needed help, or even just to chat. I made several life-long friends with current students (and others) in just my short weekend of being there for my interview. I did not have this experience anywhere else I visited. People who go to UTKCVM seem to genuinely love it.

I basically cried the whole drive home after my interview weekend because I realized how much I have to lose when it comes to this school.

And to answer the last part of the question, I want to do both large and small animal medicine, but unsure of if I want to specialize in anything or not. I'm interested in oncology but there isn't a huge need for oncologists in the large animal world and I'm not willing to give up my cows. Lol!

*wow, so much for keeping it concise. Sorry y'all*
Ohh, these posts are just making me so much more excited about the potential to be a part of a vet med community like this one! SO many like minded people, incredible facility, it makes my heart soar just thinking about it! That being said, I really, really hope we are in class together @vethopeful_2!!

Members don't see this ad :)
TBH... It's the only one I applied to as well! Lol! But, it's the only school I feel will provide me the foundation I want/need... If this isn't my year, I'll be back again... And again... But hopefully not too many agains.
I could go on about this for literally ever so I'm going get to try to keep it concise.
1. UTK is my IS school so it's the cheapest option. Although that is really the least notable reason for why I love it, I know I need to mention that the cheapest school usually equals the school you should attend from what I've learned as an SDN member
2. UTKCVM places a large emphasis on the human-animal bond, and has several outreach programs dedicated to it, (as hopeful_vet2023 also mentioned)! This is one of the reasons why I chose vet med and I really want to be involved with the different outreach programs UT has to offer.
2. UTK and Knoxville as a whole both have great opportunities for students who want to work with the ag industry
3. They have a fantastic reputation with the locals (and elsewhere), and since I want to come back to Knox to practice, having a degree from UT would be a major step towards gaining trust and building rapport with my local clients.
4. They have access to literally everything a vet student could ever want. New equine facility, exotics, close relationship with local zoo, large animal and small animal specialties, nutrition center, etc. I have not exactly narrowed down exactly what I want to do in terms of specialties and I know that UTK would allow me to gain exposure to anything I could possibly want.
5. This is probably the biggest one for me. I don't know how they do it, but UTKCVM has cultivated the kindest and most caring atmosphere ever. Their currents students and faculty are some of the best people I've come across in vet med thus far. I was actually convinced for several years that UT was my #2 option, but those words are literally painful to type now haha. I visited so many vet schools over the past 2 years-ish, and no place made me feel the way UT did. When I was at UT for my interview, I had current students coming up to me left and right asking if I needed help, or even just to chat. I made several life-long friends with current students (and others) in just my short weekend of being there for my interview. I did not have this experience anywhere else I visited. People who go to UTKCVM seem to genuinely love it.

I basically cried the whole drive home after my interview weekend because I realized how much I have to lose when it comes to this school.

And to answer the last part of the question, I want to do both large and small animal medicine, but unsure of if I want to specialize in anything or not. I'm interested in oncology but there isn't a huge need for oncologists in the large animal world and I'm not willing to give up my cows. Lol!

*wow, so much for keeping it concise. Sorry y'all*

Ohh, these posts are just making me so much more excited about the potential to be a part of a vet med community like this one! SO many like minded people, incredible facility, it makes my heart soar just thinking about it! That being said, I really, really hope we are in class together @vethopeful_2!!

I feel the same way. The more I get to know people who are applying, the easier the process becomes. Because I know that even if I'm not chosen for a spot, the people who were chosen are very deserving, kind, and passionate people who want it as badly as I do! And I would love to be classmates!

Hey guys! I am new to SDN. I interviewed with the in-state crowd and was so impressed with the faculty and students I spoke with. I had toured the facility years prior while my husband was doing an internship at Denso and was very happy with what I saw then. However, the most impressive thing in my opinion has been the many encounters I have had with the doctors who are alumni from here. Their teaching skills have all been exceptional even during intense situations. I love that this is a focus at UTCVM. I have three kids and I know how thirsty these kids are for knowledge and it extends beyond them and into the community and to see an emphasis on this touches my heart. I have been working with a group of doctors at an equine practice and have watched them refer many horses to the UTCVM hospital and the owners are always very pleased with outcome and service.
This was my first time applying and I so hope I get in but I believe everything will work out exactly as it should. :)
We should all be so proud of ourselves to be where we are now. I wish everyone luck and PEACE during what seems like one of the most anticipated moments of my life (besides having my babies in my arms), as I am sure that is the case for all of you!! It has been so nice to see the conversation on this forum and I hope we all get to meet in the near future!!

Hey guys! I am new to SDN. I interviewed with the in-state crowd and was so impressed with the faculty and students I spoke with. I had toured the facility years prior while my husband was doing an internship at Denso and was very happy with what I saw then. However, the most impressive thing in my opinion has been the many encounters I have had with the doctors who are alumni from here. Their teaching skills have all been exceptional even during intense situations. I love that this is a focus at UTCVM. I have three kids and I know how thirsty these kids are for knowledge and it extends beyond them and into the community and to see an emphasis on this touches my heart. I have been working with a group of doctors at an equine practice and have watched them refer many horses to the UTCVM hospital and the owners are always very pleased with outcome and service.
This was my first time applying and I so hope I get in but I believe everything will work out exactly as it should. :)
We should all be so proud of ourselves to be where we are now. I wish everyone luck and PEACE during what seems like one of the most anticipated moments of my life (besides having my babies in my arms), as I am sure that is the case for all of you!! It has been so nice to see the conversation on this forum and I hope we all get to meet in the near future!!

Totally agree about UTKCVM having an amazing group of alumni! Thank you for reminding us that we should be proud of ourselves *now*, and not just when we get accepted to vet school. We've all worked so hard to get to this place!

Reactions: 2 users
Yes! Idk ab you all but I am 33, I have 2 kids, I thought this dream was long gone BUT after a near death and life changing experience, I decided I wasn't too old or too far in my life to pursue what I KNOW I was meant to do. So, after 2 previous attempts at college, one of them for technician training, I went full force for this dream! To be invited to interview was so validating that you can do anything you put your mind to and if you want it enough, you can have it! Whether it's this year or another year, the fact that I interviewed makes me prouder than I've ever been.

Enough of the corny talk from me, just wanted you all to know why I'm here and to also say, I am proud of us all! It's hard work to get HERE, so good work!

Im still DYING for that letter lol, but I read part of a thread from a recent year where they were all getting their acceptance letters and the joy was infectious!
Totally agree about UTKCVM having an amazing group of alumni! Thank you for reminding us that we should be proud of ourselves *now*, and not just when we get accepted to vet school. We've all worked so hard to get to this place!

On APVMA, someone spoke to someone in admissions from UT at a vet conference and they said decisions were delayed, but are suppose to be released next Wednesday 27th.

On APVMA, someone spoke to someone in admissions from UT at a vet conference and they said decisions were delayed, but are suppose to be released next Wednesday 27th.
When she said they fell behind I was like....I’m going to fit right in!

Lol, i know right? There will be no judgment from me! And Feb 27th is WAY better than March 1st, every day may as well be a month in "waiting for decision letter" years
When she said they fell behind I was like....I’m going to fit right in!

Although, I'm wondering if that conference was the continuing education seminar they held two weekends ago and if so is that the most accurate information lol. I'm just kidding, kind of, I'm not that neurotic..... Or am I?

Members don't see this ad :)
Although, I'm wondering if that conference was the continuing education seminar they held two weekends ago and if so is that the most accurate information lol. I'm just kidding, kind of, I'm not that neurotic..... Or am I?

She said on APVMA the conference was yesterday.

Does Tennessee over accept applicants? I can’t remember exactly, but I thought they said they send out about 100 OOS acceptances.

This is the week, guys and girls. I've never been so excited for a Wednesday!

My fiance and I have resolved to celebrate regardless on Wednesday, since it conveniently falls on our 2 year 10 month anniversary! :)

This is the week, guys and girls. I've never been so excited for a Wednesday!

My fiance and I have resolved to celebrate regardless on Wednesday, since it conveniently falls on our 2 year 10 month anniversary! :)
You literally beat me to the celebration! I already had a message typed lol. Glad to see someone is as excited as I am.

Whoop whoop!! The week we've all been waiting for!! Would love for all the SDN'ers to have a spot. I'm rooting for all of you!!

Aaaanyyy day now!! Perhaps we will hear today? There’s always a chance, right??

I've never been so excited for a Wednesday either! As my daughter would say... Only today, tomorrow and a wake up!! It's down to the wire y'all!

Reactions: 4 users
Have a terrific Tuesday everyone! Just gotta get through today and hopefully the wait will be over tomorrow! And all of us will be rejoicing and crying happy tears!

I thought y'all could appreciate this picture lol... I weighed my backpack at work this weekend when I had all class materials in it (computer/charger, 2 binders, 2 5 subject spiral notebooks, enormous BCMB textbook and various supplies) and even with consolidating 2 classes per binder it STILL weighs as much as a 2 year old.
20190224_133334.jpeg

How is everyone hanging in there? Eager? Restless? Excited?

TBH, sitting here doing schoolwork and I realized it's evening, soon it will be bedtime, then we wake up and just wait for that coveted email! I have myself a t shirt design ready to make that I'll hopefully be honored enough to sport and sport it I shall!

Might be my clever way of telling my family/friends the good news too, lol, see how long it takes them to notice and ask!

But to answer the question.... I'm feeling much calmer than I would expect. Excited as I've ever been but calm nonetheless.
1551222592402.jpeg

Reactions: 5 users

I'm much calmer than I was last week. I have two exams and a quiz tomorrow, so I think that has kept me preoccupied. Just ready to know either way!

*will caveat by saying that I will probably be a lot less calm tomorrow, ha!

Oh, BTW, if I am not one of the lucky ones but any of you SDN'ers that ARE chosen want one of these shirts, I would be glad to make them as a congratulatory gift! I will be thrilled for all of yall!

Oh, BTW, if I am not one of the lucky ones but any of you SDN'ers that ARE chosen want one of these shirts, I would be glad to make them as a congratulatory gift! I will be thrilled for all of yall!
If I get in, I will definitely order one from you. It is so hard to find CVM t-shirts.

Gift! Congratulatory GIFT! And I know right?? About the t shirts. If I get in, I'll be making them all day erry day, as long as it's not a copyright infringement issue of some kind lol.

You are seriously so sweet! I enjoy reading your comments all the time. You're always so positive and with the stess of waiting since September you've been a breath of fresh air! I really hope you get in! You deserve this!

Reactions: 4 users
Well, excuse me while I go cry now! That's the nicest thing ever! I know how hard the road to just get here is and we all really SHOULD be so proud of ourselves! Get in this year or not, if the answer is no it's for the best this time and they know that... We have to trust that when it's our time, they will send that wonderful email! But of course, I am crossing all fingers and toes that this is our year!
You are seriously so sweet! I enjoy reading your comments all the time. You're always so positive and with the stess of waiting since September you've been a breath of fresh air! I really hope you get in! You deserve this!

Gift! Congratulatory GIFT! And I know right?? About the t shirts. If I get in, I'll be making them all day erry day, as long as it's not a copyright infringement issue of some kind lol.
Thank you! You are AWESOME!! When I have t-shirts made with my school's name they just have the "TM" added. They don't care as long as I am not selling them for profit. I would just reach out to the marketing department for prior approval.

Ahh, good idea!! I will absolutely do that! Idk about you all but I would wear just about anything that had UTCVM emblazoned across it lol.
Thank you! You are AWESOME!! When I have t-shirts made with my school's name they just have the "TM" added. They don't care as long as I am not selling them for profit. I would just reach out to the marketing department for prior approval.

I agree with this so much!! I took myself out of UTK’s applicant pool but I’ve been following this just to see how it’s going for all of you and you all are so encouraging and kind. I wish the best for you all!! Seriously!!

Reactions: 3 users
Not to rain on anyone's parade but the shirt, especially using the UT logo, does touch on some trademark issues. Not sure about the exact rules for that, I just know you can't sell them. Giving them away is more of a gray area that I'm more unsure about.

On a more positive note, I'm really rooting for you guys! Hopefully tomorrow is actually the day!

Ahh, good idea!! I will absolutely do that! Idk about you all but I would wear just about anything that had UTCVM emblazoned across it lol.
If you PM me I can give you the contact info for the lady in charge of all of that by the way :)

Oh and don't worry, there's plenty of UTCVM branded stuff sold by the clubs and classes here. I'm pretty sure at this point I could get rid of all of my other shirts and still have enough to wear with just UT merch.

That would be great! Thank you!
If you PM me I can give you the contact info for the lady in charge of all of that by the way :)

Oh and don't worry, there's plenty of UTCVM branded stuff sold by the clubs and classes here. I'm pretty sure at this point I could get rid of all of my other shirts and still have enough to wear with just UT merch.

Hoping today is the day on what looks to be a mostly sunny day! At least in my area. I agree that quizzes/exams have definitely helped keep my mind preoccupied. Here is to knowing we have done all we can and that these decisions we are so eager for are just another step in our journey, whether it brings big or little change to our lives it will be significant! No matter what the outcome, celebrate yourself!! ♥️ You are all with me in my thoughts today!!

Alright friends, I did some stalking and last year they sent out acceptances starting at 1:50 PM !!! Maybe they will do the same this year?!

I think that's pretty average, as I also did some stalking on the last few years! At least for the last 3 years, I THINK. I could be wrong!
Alright friends, I did some stalking and last year they sent out acceptances starting at 1:50 PM !!! Maybe they will do the same this year?!

So I've been following this thread for a while, but I've been too busy with classes/life (and stress, lets be real haha) to actually reply haha. But I just want to say good luck to everyone waiting to hear back, I'm glad I'm not the only one insanely paranoid and anxious over this whole experience! Just reading everyones comments makes me even more excited that I applied to TN (top choice!!.. But also only choice xp) and I hope we all make it in together! Here's to today hopefully being the day we *finally* find out, and making this exhausting wait worth it!

Yay! Welcome to The Chronic Obsessors Club! A thousand Good Lucks to you as well and hope to hear good news today!
So I've been following this thread for a while, but I've been too busy with classes/life (and stress, lets be real haha) to actually reply haha. But I just want to say good luck to everyone waiting to hear back, I'm glad I'm not the only one insanely paranoid and anxious over this whole experience! Just reading everyones comments makes me even more excited that I applied to TN (top choice!!.. But also only choice xp) and I hope we all make it in together! Here's to today hopefully being the day we *finally* find out, and making this exhausting wait worth it!

DOOOOO IT!!! WE WILL APPRECIATE IT ENOUGH FOR THEM AND US!!
I just got to school and I almost want to pop over to admin and ask when decisions are going out, but they might not appreciate that