UNTHSC/TCOM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'll be applying next summer (2011) and I was wondering if anybody has been accepted into their ROME program (Rural Osteopathic Medical Education of TX).

Here is the link: http://www.hsc.unt.edu/Ruralmed/rome/faqs.htm

I did a search but I didn't find anything about this specific program, just rural medicine in general. I'm very interested. Any opinions? Sorry if this has been addressed somewhere in this very long thread... :D

I have been accepted into ROME, and therefore I think it is very neat. If you are insterested in ROME then you need to check that box on your secondary application to TCOM. If you are accepted into ROME you will have an extra class each semester, and you will visit the community that you are partnered with, and several of your clinical rotations in years 3 and 4 will have to be at rural sites.

Members don't see this ad.

I have been accepted into ROME, and therefore I think it is very neat. If you are insterested in ROME then you need to check that box on your secondary application to TCOM. If you are accepted into ROME you will have an extra class each semester, and you will visit the community that you are partnered with, and several of your clinical rotations in years 3 and 4 will have to be at rural sites.

An extra class every semester? Hmm... :scared:

I'm glad you mentioned the clinical rotations because I was worried that all rotation sites would be rural, and while I am interested in rural medicine, I would also like to have the experience of working at an "urban" site too. I love the idea of having a community site that students will be visiting.

Thanks for the info. Congratulations on your acceptance. Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Any out of staters here that were accepted? Did you already have ties to Texas? Did you mention you eventually plan on staying in Texas and practicing? If you don't mind, what were your stats? I would love to attend here, but i'm out of state and the whole 10% rule is a little intimidating. Thanks!

I got in here, ended up rejecting, but I am OOS. I did go to Baylor, but was living in Oregon at the time I applied and interviewd. I'm now living here (TX) and during my interview, one of the interviewers was quite concerned with my staying in TX for a long time since my husband is in the army. 3.6 GPA and 29R MCAT. If your OOS and want to go to a school in TX, make sure you interview before OCT 15, otherwise, you don't have much of a chance. The whole match process sucks for us.

I got in here, ended up rejecting, but I am OOS. I did go to Baylor, but was living in Oregon at the time I applied and interviewd. I'm now living here (TX) and during my interview, one of the interviewers was quite concerned with my staying in TX for a long time since my husband is in the army. 3.6 GPA and 29R MCAT. If your OOS and want to go to a school in TX, make sure you interview before OCT 15, otherwise, you don't have much of a chance. The whole match process sucks for us.

How was the interview? Do you think it was more difficult or laid-back? I have pretty much the same stats as you

Any out of staters here that were accepted? Did you already have ties to Texas? Did you mention you eventually plan on staying in Texas and practicing? If you don't mind, what were your stats? I would love to attend here, but i'm out of state and the whole 10% rule is a little intimidating. Thanks!

I was also accepted as an out of state applicant. I had strong ties to Texas with my husband being a TX resident. I had also mentioned in my application my strong intent to establish a TX residency (have done so since). My MCAT was 30 and my cum GPA was 3.5 (strong upward trend-freshman year low GPA, other than that 3.6 or above). Although, I should mention that I had several other factors making my application very unique. I am a non-trad. PM me if you wanna know the details.

How was the interview? Do you think it was more difficult or laid-back? I have pretty much the same stats as you

The interview was very laid back. I was interviewed by two separate faculty. Both interviews were very conversational. Both of them actually ended up going over the time. The staff at the admissions makes you feel so comfortable when you are there. From my experience in dealing with UNTHSC TCOM staff, I can tell you that they are genuinely nice and they care about students.

I'm OOS state too and was accepted. I don't really have any ties to Texas though. I'm kind of also a non-trad, it has been 4 years now since I graduated from undergrad. My MCAT is 30 and gpa is 3.5. If you really are interested in applying I wouldn't let the fact that only 10% of the class is OOS discourage you too much, because they don't get as many OOS applicants since you have to go through the seperate TMDAS system - so I think your odds are a little bit better than it might initially seem. I really thought TCOM was going to be a long shot for me, but it ended up working out. :) Good Luck!

I had a friend who just got in to the Baylor College of Medicine. I know some waitlists are still moving, so I wouldn't give up hope just yet. I don't know the situation with TCOM, but I wish you the best of luck!

Any movement on the waitlist??:confused::confused::confused:

nope ...still waiting for something to happen in TCOM. I talked to someone from admissions and she said that most of the waitlist movement should start from mid may through june (which has the most movement). But so far it doesnt seem like anything has moved (except for that mass acceptance on april 2nd....very wierd). Major bummer

yup, waiting just plain sucks. I wish they would at least tell us if we rank high, medium, or low on the waitlist. That way I would be able to gauge how reasonable my expectations are.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just waived my acceptance, so there should be another spot out there for the taking. Good luck.

nev,

I think there has been some movement, slow, yet some. I talked to this student who interviewed the same day we did. he was the black one, who was into the army, navy, some shiznet like that.. He got off the waitlist. Hopefully you are next :)

nope ...still waiting for something to happen in TCOM. I talked to someone from admissions and she said that most of the waitlist movement should start from mid may through june (which has the most movement). But so far it doesnt seem like anything has moved (except for that mass acceptance on april 2nd....very wierd). Major bummer

nev,

I think there has been some movement, slow, yet some. I talked to this student who interviewed the same day we did. he was the black one, who was into the army, navy, some shiznet like that.. He got off the waitlist. Hopefully you are next :)

Hey dude! Thanks for the update! Thats so good to know....i think I know who you are talking about. We had a lot of people who deserved a shot...im glad he made it. I hope I get in!

Hey Guys!
After I submitted my secondary application for TCOM, the status was Application is complete. Then, It said you have been invited for an interview. I already interviewed, and now the status changed to Under Review but after like 3 weeks of my interview. Is that normal? Did it happen to anyone? Is it a good or bad thing? Thanks

Hey all,

First post because first acceptance! Just got the call at 11 AM this morning - OOS, 3.7, 36R, interviewed way back in November.

Hey all,

First post because first acceptance! Just got the call at 11 AM this morning - OOS, 3.7, 36R, interviewed way back in November.

CONGRATZ!!! I am also going to TCOM...u have amazing stats...Where else did you apply and r u on waitlists at any other schools?

Oh I applied to a ton of places, but I'm on waitlists at UTH, UTMB, UTSW, UCLA, Georgetown, USC and Baylor. Apparently I interview well, just not great :laugh:

Oh I applied to a ton of places, but I'm on waitlists at UTH, UTMB, UTSW, UCLA, Georgetown, USC and Baylor. Apparently I interview well, just not great :laugh:

Hahhah...I hope you get into your top choice. But tcom is a great school too.:)

Definitely! I loved it at my interview, I'm super excited to be accepted!