UNTHSC/TCOM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What is ROME?

The rural medicine program. I'm not doing it, but I did consider it when I applied...

The overall goals of the ROME curriculum are to:

1. provide educational experiences that will enable the student to acquire the

knowledge and skills necessary for a professional career in rural medicine;

2. provide a foundation for life and practice in a rural community; and

3. prepare the graduate for acceptance into premier graduate medical education programs.

The Rural Osteopathic Medical Education of Texas (ROME) curriculum gives students the real-world experience of living and working in rural Texas. The teaching progoram of this curriculum has been designed to encompass the overall goals of the institution in assisting students to acquire competency in clinical medicine.

( http://www.hsc.unt.edu/Ruralmed/rome/overview.htm )

no. If I get accepted I can then interview. It is supposed to be the other way around, but it wil be cool with them if I interview once accepted.

Talk to Dr. Bowling, he is in charge of ROME. I did not interview for ROME at my main interview, and only came to realize that I wanted to be in the program while I was there. So I contacted Ms. Scott and she helped me to be able to go back and interview with Dr. Bowling. I was not accepted when the interview for ROME was set up, although I found out I was accepted to TCOM the day before the interview. Be persistent about following the progress on getting a ROME interview set up, because there are things you have to do before school starts. Good luck, I hope to see you in ROME.

Members don't see this ad :)
With only a couple days to go, I want to wish everyone luck on match day! I'm looking forward to meeting the class. :)

Hey guys,

Just letting y'all know TCOM issued acceptances to about (approximately) 25 of us in the Medical Master's program on Friday!!

Good luck to all in the match!

Just matched this morning! I am soo excited! After 5 long months of waiting...

Any idea if TCOM will still be interviewing? My status says "Offline pending results of February 1st Match." So, I am not sure if that means there is still a chance they might continue interviewing after the match.....

I matched here today as well. Pretty excited that I don't have to move to attend school.

Not a lot of activity here today, wonder where everyone is?

Any idea if TCOM will still be interviewing? My status says "Offline pending results of February 1st Match." So, I am not sure if that means there is still a chance they might continue interviewing after the match.....

I matched here today as well. Pretty excited that I don't have to move to attend school.

Not a lot of activity here today, wonder where everyone is?

That's what I was thinking! Did you already join the facebook? There were a couple people who posted on there.

To mbc - to my knowledge, they do not interview past December. I could be wrong... but pretty sure they don't. You could always call them. If they don't interview, you might ask them what you could do to improve your application for next year.

I matched to TCOM today! I'm still waiting to hear back from an OOS school before I make a final decision, but I'm very very happy. I really like DFW, and I got a really good feeling when I interviewed there, like it was a really great fit for me.

Congrats to all my fellow c/o 2014ers who matched! This is so exciting! :thumbup:

Just matched this morning! I have a few OOS MD and DO applications floating in the ether, but TCOM was my first choice and I'll likely end up there. Congrats to the class of 2014!

BTW, for those who just matched...should we be expecting some sort of phone/email/letter confirmation?

Last edited:
Just matched this morning! I have a few OOS MD and DO applications floating in the ether, but TCOM was my first choice and I'll likely end up there. Congrats to the class of 2014!

BTW, for those who just matched...should we be expecting some sort of phone/email/letter confirmation?

Congrats! I think they send an official letter in the mail.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who have been accepted, did anyone's online status change on TCOM's website?

I was accepted but I am an OOS student so I didn't go through the match. But yes, my online status changed and I now have a green check instead of a green dot.

I matched yesterday as well! Congrats to everyone who matched.

For those who have been accepted, did anyone's online status change on TCOM's website?

My status on TCOM's website still says that it is pending a decision from the match so I guess they haven't updated it yet.

Congrats! I think they send an official letter in the mail.

Thanks! I did indeed get a letter today. Hope to see you there...it's a great town and school.

I matched yesterday as well! Congrats to everyone who matched.

My status on TCOM's website still says that it is pending a decision from the match so I guess they haven't updated it yet.

That's what my online status says as well, but I got the official letter and forms this afternoon (I live in North Dallas, so the mail didn't have far to travel). The letter was dated for 1/29, but it wasn't postmarked til 2/1 (makes sense). Hope that helps...you'll probably get your letter tomorrow.

Thanks! I did indeed get a letter today. Hope to see you there...it's a great town and school.

That's what my online status says as well, but I got the official letter and forms this afternoon (I live in North Dallas, so the mail didn't have far to travel). The letter was dated for 1/29, but it wasn't postmarked til 2/1 (makes sense). Hope that helps...you'll probably get your letter tomorrow.

I got my letter yesterday also, I live in Fort Worth about 15 minutes from the school so it had even less to travel.

I am hoping someone who is a freshman now at TCOM sees this. I received my letter and I am going to be part of the 2014 class at TCOM!!!!:D
And now I am wondering how I need to start to prep. Are there books/classes that I should start to review since I am sure next fall is going to be a whirlwind of work.

Hey everyone, I have a question--I received my acceptance letter (so nice to see it in writing!), and it says that we have to post mark our reply by February 16. I'm still waiting to hear from an OOS school before I make a final decision though. I should receive a letter from the OOS school sometime that same week. Is anyone else dealing with this? Do I just forget about the OOS school and send in the acceptance conformation, or is there any way to get around the postmark date?

Hey everyone, I have a question--I received my acceptance letter (so nice to see it in writing!), and it says that we have to post mark our reply by February 16. I'm still waiting to hear from an OOS school before I make a final decision though. I should receive a letter from the OOS school sometime that same week. Is anyone else dealing with this? Do I just forget about the OOS school and send in the acceptance conformation, or is there any way to get around the postmark date?
Send in your acceptance-if you get the OOS school later, you can always recline yours at TCOM. No worries

TO ALL THOSE ACCEPTED: CONGRATULATIONS!!! Get ready for one of the craziest rides of your LIFE :p

You are wondering how you can prepare???

TAKE THE BEST VACATION OF YOUR LIFE. Honestly. Whether it be exhilarating or down right laziness, just take it before school starts.

I took a pre-mat class that helped me get back in the groove of being in class, but didn't really put me at an advantage for the class. TCOM prepares you for the madness with a long orientation week...I honestly don't think reading or studying something before will help you. When time gets closer-mentally prepare yourself for school-really long weeks. They start off nice and easy, so you get out at 2 or 3...then they hit you with the 8-5 later on.

BTW-I am having a blast. Sometimes too much fun-all after test days of course :rolleyes:

Questions? PM me, or ask here and I'll respond so everyone sees!

TO ALL THOSE ACCEPTED: CONGRATULATIONS!!! Get ready for one of the craziest rides of your LIFE :p

You are wondering how you can prepare???

TAKE THE BEST VACATION OF YOUR LIFE. Honestly. Whether it be exhilarating or down right laziness, just take it before school starts.

I took a pre-mat class that helped me get back in the groove of being in class, but didn't really put me at an advantage for the class. TCOM prepares you for the madness with a long orientation week...I honestly don't think reading or studying something before will help you. When time gets closer-mentally prepare yourself for school-really long weeks. They start off nice and easy, so you get out at 2 or 3...then they hit you with the 8-5 later on.

BTW-I am having a blast. Sometimes too much fun-all after test days of course :rolleyes:

Questions? PM me, or ask here and I'll respond so everyone sees!

:thumbup: Always so helpful ^.^

Hello Future TCOMers-

Congratulations on your acceptance to TCOM and welcome to the beginning of a long but extremely rewarding career. I hate to spam your thread, but I will be moving off to begin residency training soon and I will be having to sell my house.

Some quick info:
This a 3BR/2BA with around 1800 SF in North Fort Worth (Keller/Saginaw area) in a safe neighborhood with excellent schools.

The house was built in 2005 and has a full 2 car garage with a HUGE backyard.

Of note, we currently have an FHA mortgage that is capable of being assumed, meaning that you could own the house with zero down payment and zero closing costs (PM me for details) and basically just take over our mortgage payments (which are fixed at a 6% interest rate).

If any of you is interested, please PM me and I can send you some pictures or if you are in the area, we can arrange a time to show you the house.

I would rather sell to a TCOM student than have to go through the hassle of hiring a real estate broker! Plus you could end up with a heck of a deal!

Thanks!

Jerod

Hello All...

Surprisingly, I was called in yesterday for an interview invite... I am interviewing on the 12th of february... any one has any advice? How should I prepare. I apply extremely late..... :(, yet I am happy that I got a chance to interview.

Keep me posted.
Jose

Yasepicito, that's amazing! I did't know they did interviews this late. Some pointers:

-know a decent amount about the school
-be able to talk about osteopathic medicine (differences between DO and MD)
-you might get a question about health care reform so be sure to read up on it a little. they dont expect you to be an expert, but you should have an opinion (pick a middle of the road opinion so you don't offend anyone)
-be able to defend any weak spots on your application. did you make a bad grade? explain why and what you did to better yourself
-and most importantly, just relax and be yourself. don't be afraid to ask the interviewers questions about their positions, research, etc.

goodluck!

Just got a call today for an interview...totally surprised, but in a good way! Only problem is I have an interview with Western the same day they are offering me an interview :scared:TCOM is my top choice, but if I cancel my other interview at Western, I won't get another date! Any advice??

hi daisy, did TCOM tell you that this was the only date available? when i asked them to reschedule my interview back in october, they were more than happy to do so. if it's the only slot TCOM has, then I would reschedule your Western interview.

I think they continue to interview for several more months. You could call and explain the situation or just be vague and say its for personal reasons. Whatever you decide, I hope it works out. Goodluck!

Yeah, I asked and she said 18th was it. You were probably able to reschedule because it was so early in the cycle. I would think that Western would still be interviewing...? I dunno, I will probably try and re-schedule with Western, thanks for the advice!

Does anybody know how the post-interview committee works at TCOM? Do they put weight only on the interview in making their final decision, or do they look at stats again also? I feel so lucky to be getting an interview even after match day, just curious as to what my chances are at this point! Anybody get rejected post-interview because of grades/mcat? I ask because I am slightly below their averages, but have high hopes for this interview!:xf::luck::xf::luck:

Both schools I interviewed at (TCOM and an MD school) claimed that once you make it to an interview, your grades no longer really matter. The strength of your interview is all that matters. However, I am somewhat skeptical of this. Even if they do not actively re-examine your grades/MCAT, they must be in the back of the mind of the committee.

I am well below the average gpa and only slightly above the average MCAT. One of the admissions personnel said that they really liked my personal statement, and I also think that I interviewed well. So I would say that stats still matter, but the most important thing at this point is the interview. Your case is very unique so it's hard to comment on your chances, but TCOM offers admission to almost half of the people they interview. Those are some pretty good odds!

Does anybody know how the post-interview committee works at TCOM? Do they put weight only on the interview in making their final decision, or do they look at stats again also? I feel so lucky to be getting an interview even after match day, just curious as to what my chances are at this point! Anybody get rejected post-interview because of grades/mcat? I ask because I am slightly below their averages, but have high hopes for this interview!:xf::luck::xf::luck:

Doesn't it suck Dazedaisy? We were just cancelled... :( Well I guess that is no more driving for me.. At least for today!

Doesn't it suck Dazedaisy? We were just cancelled... :( Well I guess that is no more driving for me.. At least for today!

Why was your interview cancelled? Due to the weather or are they done with interviews?

The roads are expected to ice over late tonight/early tomorrow. I just heard from my friends at TCOM that their classes were canceled today and tomorrow, meaning a 4-day weekend....

They are rescheduling y'all, right?
The roads are expected to ice over late tonight/early tomorrow. I just heard from my friends at TCOM that their classes were canceled today and tomorrow, meaning a 4-day weekend....
Yes! It's crazy-means we have an exam and a practical on Monday:p But it's nice being at home looking at all the snow :D

Yes! I thought my dilemma was over, but now I don't know when they're going to reschedule! I'm not surprised though, they almost got a foot of snow in Fort Worth, conditions were pretty bad.

Why was your interview cancelled? Due to the weather or are they done with interviews?

They are rescheduling y'all, right?

Yea it was the snow, the whole school is closed tmrw, and they said they will reschedule

Dazedaisy and Yasepicito:
Sorry they had to cancle; but at least they will re-schedule...Good luck! What does your status say online? Mine still says "pending outcome of Feb 1st match". I don't know what that means... I applied rather late, but am still hoping for an interview.

Dazedaisy and Yasepicito:
Sorry they had to cancle; but at least they will re-schedule...Good luck! What does your status say online? Mine still says "pending outcome of Feb 1st match". I don't know what that means... I applied rather late, but am still hoping for an interview.

Yeah, mine says the same thing. They are goign to re-schedule us. I am glad that is happening. Hope all is good with your application, maybe you will be called back later.

Yeah, mine says the same thing. They are goign to re-schedule us. I am glad that is happening. Hope all is good with your application, maybe you will be called back later.

Good luck!!!! :xf: Is TCOM your first choice?
I'm starting to go crazy waiting around for something to happen....Oh, well, I guess that's all part of the deal

anyone have an idea how full the class is so far...i know they're increasing the size for this incoming fall to 200-220 seats i think which is good for me becuase i hope i can get in. I just had in interview yesterday with a group of 16 students. The interview was really laid back and went great!!! I really want to go here!!!

Well, right now there are 156 people in the facebook group...I don't know if this is a completely accurate count, but I guess close enough. I remember during the interview day Lynn mentioned the incoming class would be 200 people this year.

Well, right now there are 156 people in the facebook group...I don't know if this is a completely accurate count, but I guess close enough. I remember during the interview day Lynn mentioned the incoming class would be 200 people this year.

Yeah, it's probably pretty close. The facebook group link was sent in a mass-email to all of the accepted members of the class, so most of them probably joined.

Anyone know when the late-interviewers will hear back?

I think I spotted a good 10+ in the group who are 1st or 2nd years...most of them were classmates of mine from MedSci last year.

Yes! I thought my dilemma was over, but now I don't know when they're going to reschedule! I'm not surprised though, they almost got a foot of snow in Fort Worth, conditions were pretty bad.

Yea it was the snow, the whole school is closed tmrw, and they said they will reschedule
Dazedaisy:

Are you going this Wednesday?

Have any of y'all applied for scholarships at my.hsc.unt.edu? I filled out the scholarship app, but I'm confused about whether or not we're supposed to write an essay.

I was also wondering about the scholarship application. Are we supposed to answer the questions from the perspective of a TCOM student? What I mean is for like the 'academic achievements' section, can we list stuff from our undergrad? This is similar with employment, etc. I hope that just made sense...

I was also wondering about the scholarship application. Are we supposed to answer the questions from the perspective of a TCOM student? What I mean is for like the 'academic achievements' section, can we list stuff from our undergrad? This is similar with employment, etc. I hope that just made sense...

I did the scholarship application in January, and as I recall, I only had to submit 1 essay. I forget which one it was. The people at financial aid are super helpful, you should email them to ask what you should be writing about. :)

I just listed my undergrad stuff. On the question about where I will practice, I just put something about how since I haven't begun my medical education I have not made a decision regarding that, but I'm currently interested in practicing IM or OB/GYN in North Texas, etc.

I just finished my essay, but we have to include our student ID on it...does anyone know where to find this? Thanks!