Upstate vs downstate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zempa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need a comparison based solely on academics/ease of getting matched into a competitive specialty. I've heard it both ways that upstate can provide one with more opportunities while also hearing that downstate can help you land a better residency? Any input would be appreciated?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
i was wondering the same question. i was hoping someone would reply...did u already get accepted to both???

i was wondering the same question. i was hoping someone would reply...did u already get accepted to both???

i've been accepted to downstate and have an interview scheduled soon in upstate. I've been very lucky to get several interviews and at this point I'm a bit tired/burnt out. I love the location of downstate a lot more..but the only thing holding me back is the difference in reputation. Basically would going to one over the other help me land a competitive residency down the line (if that's what I desired)

My opinion may be meaningless to some as I have had a closer look at Upstate, but I would say Upstate is a much better school. But my definition of a good school does not require an amazing location. I have friends at Downstate, and know graduates as well. I might be wrong, and do not wish to offend anyone but in my sincerest opinion I would have to say if we took Downstate out of Brooklyn and planted it somewhere it would take the ranks of super safety medical school. However, things being as competitive as they are there really is NO such thing as a saftey school anymore. I would say Upstate offers a much better training. It services a HUGE population ( I mean really big) and you can do just about anything there. I really think Downstate has a lot to do with its location and less to do about academics. Upstate is 11th in the country for placing its graduates in academic positions, not bad for a state school in freezing Syracuse. To ME, and only me as this is just my opinion, that says something about the school.

What do you ladies and gents think?

My opinion may be meaningless to some as I have had a closer look at Upstate, but I would say Upstate is a much better school. But my definition of a good school does not require an amazing location. I have friends at Downstate, and know graduates as well. I might be wrong, and do not wish to offend anyone but in my sincerest opinion I would have to say if we took Downstate out of Brooklyn and planted it somewhere it would take the ranks of super safety medical school. However, things being as competitive as they are there really is NO such thing as a saftey school anymore. I would say Upstate offers a much better training. It services a HUGE population ( I mean really big) and you can do just about anything there. I really think Downstate has a lot to do with its location and less to do about academics. Upstate is 11th in the country for placing its graduates in academic positions, not bad for a state school in freezing Syracuse. To ME, and only me as this is just my opinion, that says something about the school.

hmmm thanks..I'm wondering do you happen to know how the two schools compare in terms of getting placed in a competitive residency?

how do you gauge great academics? isn't a great clinical experience the epitome of great academics? Downstate graduates are very successful in placing into competitive residencies, especially in the NYC area.

I really liked DS when I interviewed there. They have a good hospital and good clinical exposure for the students.

Hands down, the facilities at Upstate are far more advanced and resources are more plentiful. They just built a brand new children's hospital that was a huge investment. My impression of Downstate was that facilities are on the older end and deteriorating. I thinking Downstate still attracts a lot of people because people want to be in NYC, but I think Upstate has more resources available for students.

I can't speak for downstate really (I did interview there but that's about it) but Upstate is a good school if you can get past the colder weather. In terms of getting into competitive specialties, I think if you do well in either school and do well on the boards, you'll get into a ortho/optho/rads/etc. residency. We get a bunch of people matching into competitive specialties all the time.

I don't think the school that you go to will make getting into a certain specialty "easier". However, speaking on academics and opportunities here, there are a lot of research opportunities here and the professors really go out of their way to help you if you're struggling and need help in a course or wanna go from P to HP or something. The facilities here are pretty good as someone here had mentioned.

when i went to upstate i loved it more than case western.

never been to downstate, but i did hear the location is better!

Status
Not open for further replies.