2022-2023 SUNY - Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
IS secondary Received.
@wysdoc

Prompts:

(If applicable) Please describe your activities for the period of September 15 to July 1:

Living in NYC​

What will be your support system while in medical school? (Limit 150 words)

Describe what personal, urban experiences prepare you to live and study in New York City (Limit 150 words)

Specific reason(s) for SUNY Downstate?​

Why do believe you are a good fit for SUNY Downstate?

What is your experience with diversity, health equity and social justice?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
IS secondary Received.
@wysdoc

Prompts:

(If applicable) Please describe your activities for the period of September 15 to July 1:

Living in NYC​

What will be your support system while in medical school? (Limit 150 words)

Describe what personal, urban experiences prepare you to live and study in New York City (Limit 150 words)

Specific reason(s) for SUNY Downstate?​

Why do believe you are a good fit for SUNY Downstate?

What is your experience with diversity, health equity and social justice?
The last two don't have word limits right? i cant find one listed. how many words are you guys going to do?

The last two don't have word limits right? i cant find one listed. how many words are you guys going to do?
There's no word limit listed, but I haven't tried typing a lot of words to see if it stops me. Either way I think my "Why us?" will end up being around 150-200 words and I'll probably copy/paste a different diversity essay to tailor to this one which will end up around the same length maybe more. But feel free to say as much as you think is meaningful!

It says that my MCAT and LORs were not received, but they should have been sent. Portals for other schools show that they received my MCAT and LOR. Is anyone else running into this as well?

When asked about "Describe what personal, urban experiences prepare you to live and study in New York City" - what is an example of this? I have lived in suburban areas in all of my life, but am a NY resident so not sure how to approach it

Last edited:
When asked about "Describe what personal, urban experiences prepare you to live and study in New York City" - what is an example of this? I have lived in suburban areas in all of my life, but am a NY resident so not sure how to approach it
Some of my childhood was spent growing up in suburban NY. I talked about how I would visit the city frequently and rely on public transportation to get there. Maybe you have a friend or family member in the city you visited?

I went to an urban college and talked about my experience living and working there. Not sure if you could talk about the same.

I also worded how I am a diverse individual, and thus, I will thrive in a diverse environment like NYC

Hey all
For the "who's your support system" question, is it just enough to briefly talk about friends, family etc. And like how much they're supportive? I just don't wanna be off-topic and I've never seen a prompt like this before. Sorry if it's a dumb question lol

I'm an OOS applicant with no ties interested in applying here because their MSAR page says "...the Admission Committee seeks applicants from socioeconomically disadvantaged backgrounds, applicants who are first-generation college graduates, or applicants who have served in the military." I'm a veteran and wondering if anyone can speak more to their interest in vets? I couldn't find anything on their website, and I'm wondering if I would be wasting my time/money by applying here.

It says that my MCAT and LORs were not received, but they should have been sent. Portals for other schools show that they received my MCAT and LOR. Is anyone else running into this as well?
Yep, just submitted and it says those still have not been received. Not sure why though...

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep, just submitted and it says those still have not been received. Not sure why though...
I think it just takes a few days to update. I haven't checked since Friday night, but looking now, it says it's complete.

got an email now saying everything was received and am completed

hey guys. I didn't take orgo 2. website says no biochem can be substited but unclear on the app. I emailed and i havent gotten a response. can someone lmk? thanks

hey guys. I didn't take orgo 2. website says no biochem can be substited but unclear on the app. I emailed and i havent gotten a response. can someone lmk? thanks
This page says "If your college/university offers an intensive one-semester general or inorganic chemistry course with lab for qualified students, and considers this equivalent to the traditional two-semester course, you may use this to satisfy our requirement for general chemistry. However, you should also take a higher level chemistry course, preferably Biochemistry."

Not sure if that helps, but it was on this page: Requirements | Admissions | College of Medicine | SUNY Downstate

Can anyone share advice for how to address: What is your experience with diversity, health equity and social justice?

How long were "why downstate" responses? I wrote 250 words and submitted it but now I feel like I should have done more.

Did anyone else notice that Downstate gives out nearly 1000 interviews for 150ish seats for in-state? That stat is kinda concerning me as far as the value of the II.

Hi! Has anybody else also experienced an internal error message pop-up when trying to pay for the secondary? I received a receipt of my application fee payment; however, the portal says it wasn't completed, and I was hoping to gain some advice as I wouldn't want to be charged twice. Thanks!

What years is downstate referring to when they say "please describe your activities from September 15 to July 1st" Is it Sept 2021-July 2022 or Sept 2022-july2023?

What years is downstate referring to when they say "please describe your activities from September 15 to July 1st" Is it Sept 2021-July 2022 or Sept 2022-july2023?
I think 2022-2023 lol, thats how I did my response around

I thought the same but a friend asked admissions office on the phone today and they said 2021-2022 so I am very confused

Hi all,

In their supplemental application, it states that "AP courses...can not be used towards fulfilling the lab component". This made me concerned, as I did not take Gen Chem I at my university, due to me testing out of it from my AP Chemistry course. I have fulfilled all of the other lab requirements, but I have not taken another General Chemistry Lab other than Gen Chem II (which is its own requirement), because I did not need to.

Anyone else dealing with the same issue? How I can make sure my application does not get rejected? I already finished rest of the secondary, and I would be disappointed to not even have a chance after putting so much time and effort towards it.

I feel like many people would have run into similar issues but I can't find any information online about others dealing with the same issue.

I thought the same but a friend asked admissions office on the phone today and they said 2021-2022 so I am very confused
Wait really? I thought they were asking about 2022-2023 as in like a gap year question

Reactions: 1 users
Wait really? I thought they were asking about 2022-2023 as in like a gap year question
Surely you are correct... that is also how I interpreted it. Especially because 2021-2022 should be well-described on our primaries. Pretty sure its referencing 2022-23

Reactions: 5 users
I didn't realize their website states they only want 2 letters of recommendation... I submitted all 4 of mine due to MSAR's information. Does anyone else have a similar problem and know how to approach it?

I didn't realize their website states they only want 2 letters of recommendation... I submitted all 4 of mine due to MSAR's information. Does anyone else have a similar problem and know how to approach it?
I emailed them about this and they pretty much said dont worry about it

Its been silence so far.... I think II go out in mid-August (based off 2021-2022 Downstate forum).

Reactions: 2 users
hi friends, would u say the question regarding breaks in employment/education is a gap year question? And then the sept 15 - july 1st is whatever you have planned for the application cycle (Even if its a continuation of what you did during the gap year(s))?

hi friends, would u say the question regarding breaks in employment/education is a gap year question? And then the sept 15 - july 1st is whatever you have planned for the application cycle (Even if its a continuation of what you did during the gap year(s))?
hopefully during your gap year you will be employed to some extent, so it shouldnt really be considered a break. Or at least thats the way I interpreted the question.

Hi friends! For Instate applicants, do we still answer the support system question and urban experiences question? I’m from Brooklyn so lol I’m not sure how to about answering

Hi friends! For Instate applicants, do we still answer the support system question and urban experiences question? I’m from Brooklyn so lol I’m not sure how to about answering

I spoke about my family and friends and how they keep me grounded even during the most difficult time i faced. Idk if that’s good tho

Yes I would definitely answer them! That is the place to discuss your upbringing and how you are a good fit since you are from Brooklyn!

Hey all this might be a dumb question but... has anyone else ever been asked to provide clarifying information about a secondary prompt? They contacted me and asked for more information (with a very strict deadline), and I'm just wondering if it means anything (other than them needing the information lol)

I was also contacted by them for more info. Not sure if that was good or bad, couldn’t find much else about it on here .
Hey all this might be a dumb question but... has anyone else ever been asked to provide clarifying information about a secondary prompt? They contacted me and asked for more information (with a very strict deadline), and I'm just wondering if it means anything (other than them needing the information lol)

Like, did they ask you to explain further about your essays?

Like, did they ask you to explain further about your essays?
Basically yeah they asked me to explain what "exactly" I am doing in my gap year (they said to be very specific) and gave me a deadline that's coming up in a few days. I've never heard of this happening to anyone so I was wondering what's going on.

Basically yeah they asked me to explain what "exactly" I am doing in my gap year (they said to be very specific) and gave me a deadline that's coming up in a few days. I've never heard of this happening to anyone so I was wondering what's going on.
Huh, that is odd. I mean, I guess it would be best for you to give them a very detailed answer, but I didn’t think gap year plans were THAT important for admissions.

Oh damn….i wrote that i was applying to research associate jobs and continuing my volunteering. Do you think that is specific enough or should I be expecting an email as well lol

Huh, that is odd. I mean, I guess it would be best for you to give them a very detailed answer, but I didn’t think gap year plans were THAT important for admissions.
yeah honestly I'm glad my month-long job hunting went somewhere otherwise i'd have very little to add.

Oh damn….i wrote that i was applying to research associate jobs and continuing my volunteering. Do you think that is specific enough or should I be expecting an email as well lol
Actually I didn't even get an email it just came up on my portal

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users