2022-2023 SUNY Upstate (Norton)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
first hold of the cycle received today.
IS, Complete 08/09

Members don't see this ad :)
For question 2: You might consider yourself disadvantaged if you grew up in an area that was medically or underserved or had insufficient access to educational opportunities. Do you consider yourself within this description? If you answer Yes please explain your particular circumstances regarding why you consider yourself a disadvantaged applicant.

If I grew up in a medically underserved country, as my family saw a lot of disadvantages when obtaining healthcare, would that be enough to consider myself a disadvantaged applicant? I am having a hard time translating it to how it would make me disadvantaged as an applicant now, although it did give me new perspectives on healthcare as my family had to seek abroad for healthcare.

For question 2: You might consider yourself disadvantaged if you grew up in an area that was medically or underserved or had insufficient access to educational opportunities. Do you consider yourself within this description? If you answer Yes please explain your particular circumstances regarding why you consider yourself a disadvantaged applicant.

If I grew up in a medically underserved country, as my family saw a lot of disadvantages when obtaining healthcare, would that be enough to consider myself a disadvantaged applicant? I am having a hard time translating it to how it would make me disadvantaged as an applicant now, although it did give me new perspectives on healthcare as my family had to seek abroad for healthcare.
I think the wording of the question leaves it up to you - like I don't necessarily think they mean disadvantaged in TERMS of your application, more so that you are identifying your self as disadvantaged and ARE an applicant. So I believe if you feel its right you can reasonable utilize this area to talk about your insufficient acess/circumstances, and then you have the opportunity to state how it affected you and your family, the perspective it gave you, and why it connects to your application to medical school and Upstate specifically

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats. can I ask how was the interview? also was it open or closed file?
Interview was not bad! Do a mix of traditional and MMI prep. It was closed file

Congrats!! Did you hear back exactly 3 weeks post interview?
I was a 9/7 interview date. I remember from the last time I applied that I got my waitlist around a month later so probably 3-6 week turnaround?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry if this has been asked before but is this the same as SUNY Upstate? I don't see Norton on my application page? I was put on hold back in early Sep...

First hold of the cycle was received today.
IS, Complete 10/10

Im literally dying of laughter.. I got the pre-II rejection email yesterday and then today I got the Hold email?!?!?!?! so I don't know what to believe but I just can't believe this, it's too funny

Im literally dying of laughter.. I got the pre-II rejection email yesterday and then today I got the Hold email?!?!?!?! so I don't know what to believe but I just can't believe this, it's too funny
check your portal? or email for clarification

Anyone have general advice for the interview?
honestly this interview was very fun and like a game. Make sure to relax and enjoy the time. I know that sounds crazy becuase it is so stressful but i found practicing helped a ton.

Just got an A! Check your portals!!
I checked my portal, but I'm not seeing much helpful information except that I submitted an application for admissions term fall 2023. Am I on the wrong page?
Thanks for any help.

for people who interviewed was it the entire day or only your scheduled interview time?

Just got an A! Check your portals!!
Congratulations!!! Wow. I already interviewed and I submitted a letter of interest but I'm worried about my Casper score since I scored 25 percentile. I need this acceptance, I only have one other interview with Stony :cryi:

• Care
Anyone know when they pull people off the hold based on prior years?

Not a current applicant but did anyone apply to Upstate this year without a committee letter even though their undergraduate institution has a prehealth committee? Kind of worried about this since on the website it states committee letter is required if undergrad has a preheatlh office but the school I attend has an extremely large amount of premeds and is pretty infamous for its very stringent letter requirements which I will not be able to fulfill for the next application cycle so I was thinking of using individual letters from Interfolio instead. I am IS if that matters and stats well above median. Good luck to everyone applying and congrats to the II/A !!!

Not a current applicant but did anyone apply to Upstate this year without a committee letter even though their undergraduate institution has a prehealth committee? Kind of worried about this since on the website it states committee letter is required if undergrad has a preheatlh office but the school I attend has an extremely large amount of premeds and is pretty infamous for its very stringent letter requirements which I will not be able to fulfill for the next application cycle so I was thinking of using individual letters from Interfolio instead. I am IS if that matters and stats well above median. Good luck to everyone applying and congrats to the II/A !!!
I did this. I am a non traditional applicant, whose undergraduate school did have a committee. However, I am so far removed from the university that I didn't think it was important. I personally don't understand what the big deal is. The letters are more important anyway. What could this committee say about me, someone who has not been to the school in nearly a decade??

I did this. I am a non traditional applicant, whose undergraduate school did have a committee. However, I am so far removed from the university that I didn't think it was important. I personally don't understand what the big deal is. The letters are more important anyway. What could this committee say about me, someone who has not been to the school in nearly a decade??
Ah okay it is likely completely fine for you since you haven't been in undergrad recently. I was just kind of concerned for myself since I am a traditional applicant but the committee letter requirements at my school are so insane (it was infamous on reddit for a while) and I feel like I can get just as better individual letters. Hope your application cycle has been going great!

Do you guys think its worth it to send an update if you were put on a pre-II hold?

I checked my portal, but I'm not seeing much helpful information except that I submitted an application for admissions term fall 2023. Am I on the wrong page?
Thanks for any help.
My bad for a week later response I don't really check SDN lately lol. It is in red letters at the bottom with a Congratulations message. You would get an email too at some point.

If it's a significant update, then yeah, def!
Would you say a new clinical employment and a few hundred hours is worth it? I know its not as significant as a pub but thats all I have for the time being

Would you say a new clinical employment and a few hundred hours is worth it? I know its not as significant as a pub but thats all I have for the time being
Yeah I'd say that's worth submitting. That's not insignificant and you need to keep popping your head in, so they know 1. you are interested in their school and 2. so you don't get drowned out.

Yeah I'd say that's worth submitting. That's not insignificant and you need to keep popping your head in, so they know 1. you are interested in their school and 2. so you don't get drowned out.
Thank you!!

Is anyone still waiting to hear back post-interview for a long time? It's been 9 weeks since my interview and I haven't heard anything. I called them too, and they just said no updates. I see some people in this thread interviewed a month after me and already got their results.

Is anyone still waiting to hear back post-interview for a long time? It's been 9 weeks since my interview and I haven't heard anything. I called them too, and they just said no updates. I see some people in this thread interviewed a month after me and already got their results.
Ya mine isn't in either idk why

Just got the A this morning via email!!! Interviewed Mid Oct

• Love
Reactions: 5 users