2022-2023 SUNY Upstate (Norton)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @hec0201 for sharing this year's questions!

2022-2023 SUNY Upstate Secondary Essay Prompts

1. If you earned your baccalaureate degree prior to this past June, please provide a brief statement indicating your plans for the upcoming academic year:

2. You might consider yourself disadvantaged if you grew up in an area that was medically or underserved or had insufficient access to educational opportunities. Do you consider yourself within this description? If you answer Yes please explain your particular circumstances regarding why you consider yourself a disadvantaged applicant.

3. If you are interested in Primary Care, are you interested in receiving more information about potential scholarship opportunities?

4. We understand that the COVID-19 crisis disrupted many aspects of our lives. Please share if you had any curricular impacts during this time, for example, change to pass/fail courses or to online coursework or if you anticipate any deficiencies in experiences as a result of COVID-19.

5. Please upload an essay, under 500 words, answering the following question:
Upstate Medical University is strongly committed to providing a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment for the patients we serve and all who work at, study at, or visit our campus. As a potential partner in this effort, please describe your commitment to eliminating health inequities, discrimination, or other forms of social injustice. (500 words)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
SUNY - Upstate Medical University College of Medicine Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
If you earned your baccalaureate degree prior to this past June, please provide a brief statement indicating your plans for the upcoming academic year:

You might consider yourself disadvantaged if you grew up in an area that was medically or underserved or had insufficient access to educational opportunities. Do you consider yourself within this description? If you answer Yes please explain your particular circumstances regarding why you consider yourself a disadvantaged applicant.

If you are interested in Primary Care, are you interested in receiving more information about potential scholarship opportunities?

We understand that the COVID-19 crisis disrupted many aspects of our lives. Please share if you had any curricular impacts during this time, for example, change to pass/fail courses or to online coursework or if you anticipate any deficiencies in experiences as a result of COVID-19.

We understand that the COVID-19 crisis disrupted many aspects of our lives. Please share if you had any curricular impacts during this time, for example, change to pass/fail courses or to online coursework or if you anticipate any deficiencies in experiences as a result of COVID-19.

Please upload an essay, under 500 words, answering the following question:
Upstate Medical University is strongly committed to providing a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment for the patients we serve and all who work at, study at, or visit our campus. As a potential partner in this effort, please describe your commitment to eliminating health inequities, discrimination, or other forms of social injustice. (500 words)

OOS Secondary received 6/12 verified 6/7.

@wysdoc

I think these are all the questions... the application system is pretty hard to navigate lol

Anyone follow the directions to log into the secondary, but it won't let you log on?

Jankiest secondary application portal I have ever seen

Reactions: 2 users
If you earned your baccalaureate degree prior to this past June, please provide a brief statement indicating your plans for the upcoming academic year:

You might consider yourself disadvantaged if you grew up in an area that was medically or underserved or had insufficient access to educational opportunities. Do you consider yourself within this description? If you answer Yes please explain your particular circumstances regarding why you consider yourself a disadvantaged applicant.

If you are interested in Primary Care, are you interested in receiving more information about potential scholarship opportunities?

Please upload an essay, under 500 words, answering the following question:

OOS Secondary received 6/12 verified 6/7.

@wysdoc

I think these are all the questions... the application system is pretty hard to navigate lol
Also there is "What medical specialty do you plan to pursue?"

Members don't see this ad :)
So weird I still have not received anything

IS but does anyone else see this in their portal:
Screen Shot 2022-07-12 at 7.15.18 PM.png

Even though I didn't submit a Fall 2023 app yet?

Did you guys elaborate on the medical specialty or just list it?

For those who are struggling to login into the secondary portal after the initial sign-in, use incognito on google chrome.

I have had no issues accessing the website or navigating it.

Reactions: 1 user
The way the secondary app is receiving applications/materials is so whack

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know word/character limits for any of the other questions besides the last one?

Does anyone know word/character limits for any of the other questions besides the last one?
I think unlimited - it didn't have any limit within the text box, and didn't mention any limits.

I forgot because I submitted but if you're over some number of characters, a prompt pops up. I think its 1500 but to be totally honest, I don't remember

Is anyone else having troubles logging into their secondary portal?

Is anyone else having troubles logging into their secondary portal?
How so? The instructions are in their email.
Log-in is the letter A + your AAMC ID e.g. A12345678
Pw is your bday in the format mmddyy I believe.

I'm a reapplicant but a first-time applicant to this school. I just wanted to say I respect the fact they haven't updated their secondary portal since 1985

the limit is 1800 characters btw for the COVID prompt at least, I imagine it's the same with the others.

Same question here, anyone have any advice?
To be honest I just listed “undecided” and then noted a few specialities I have an interest in. I found it really hard to list just one. But, didn’t think I needed to elaborate. Not sure if that was a good move or not though.

To be honest I just listed “undecided” and then noted a few specialities I have an interest in. I found it really hard to list just one. But, didn’t think I needed to elaborate. Not sure if that was a good move or not though.
I did the same thing! I checked a couple boxes as well as undecided. I think they should understand

How do we know if we're complete or not? The portal is... something else

Has anyone not received a secondary yet? Checked my spam folder already but still nothing.

Anyone's application disappear from the homepage after submitting? I imagine it's fine but mildly concerning to no longer see it.

Anyone's application disappear from the homepage after submitting? I imagine it's fine but mildly concerning to no longer see it.

I can’t see my responses but I see an application summary that has some status updates

I haven't, but I added them late on 7/15
I submitted my primary on 5/31. Would you mind PMing me when you get yours just to make sure I don't need to follow up with them?

Does anyone else not have their committee letter downloaded yet? It says CASPER and secondary load submitted though

are you guys submitting a full essay for what speciality? or no

Does anyone else not have their committee letter downloaded yet? It says CASPER and secondary load submitted though
Yeah I have the same thing

In-stater but did not receive secondary yet...do they pre-filter applicants? Should I email them?
When did you send your primary to them? I was verified on 7/7 but added them on 7/15. Got my secondary this afternoon

In-stater but did not receive secondary yet...do they pre-filter applicants? Should I email them?

When did you get verified? SUNY Upstate does not screen applicants according to MSAR. It took me a few days/up to a week to get the secondary after verification, so if you were verified later it'll come in due time.

If it's been over a week since you submitted your primary, I would reach out to them. Mine was submitted on 6/24 and I didnt hear back at all. I reached out and there was some issue and they had to manually fix it for me to get my secondary .