VMCAS ..how far along are you? C/O 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In theory I should be hitting the submit button this weekend. Tomorrow's paycheck goes towards the fees (arrgh) and I have it printed out and am going through final grammar and spelling stuff. Very scary stuff.

Has anyone been brave enough to hit submit yet?

everything is complete on mine except for two LORs, that's what i'm waiting on. i'm printing today.
 
Wow, so many people submitting early! Last year, I only started asking for letters around this time.

:luck:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wow, so many people submitting early! Last year, I only started asking for letters around this time.

:luck:

lol i won't be submitting early...it will be a miracle if i don't submit last minute b/c i still don't have 3 LORs lined up. 😱 although i'm still losing sleep at night about the LORs, at least i have the vmcas in good position. 🙂 it helps relieve SOME stress!
 
Wow...I thought I was going to be submitting mine early but GRE studying has halted all further VMCAS application stuff. I am close to getting it finished though just the experience, PS statement, and 1 LOR. I am going to be so scared when I finally do hit the submit button. I will be constantly worried about what I forgot or what stupid error I made in my PS that I missed. Good Luck to everyone! :luck:
 
I'm sending requests for LORs this weekend - I wanted to do them all at once, and I'm asking my last evaluator tomorrow. I'm fairly certain she'll say yes, and I have backups if I need them... I just wanted to wait until the end of our time together to ask.

I don't plan on submitting VMCAS itself until September - I want to have as many hours in there as I can, and I want to make sure some new cool thing doesn't pop up that I'd want to add. I'll probably hit the button around the 15th and then I have quite a while to try if it doesn't work for some reason.

I also need to sign up for the GRE so I can have that date in there too. Ideally I would have been taking it like, today... but... yeah, that's not happening. I have until November, but I also have some hard (IMO) classes, work, and the bio GRE to worry about. Oh, and finishing my PS.

I'm not as worried as I should be, I think.
 
I'm sending requests for LORs this weekend - I wanted to do them all at once, and I'm asking my last evaluator tomorrow. I'm fairly certain she'll say yes, and I have backups if I need them... I just wanted to wait until the end of our time together to ask.

I don't plan on submitting VMCAS itself until September - I want to have as many hours in there as I can, and I want to make sure some new cool thing doesn't pop up that I'd want to add. I'll probably hit the button around the 15th and then I have quite a while to try if it doesn't work for some reason.

I also need to sign up for the GRE so I can have that date in there too. Ideally I would have been taking it like, today... but... yeah, that's not happening. I have until November, but I also have some hard (IMO) classes, work, and the bio GRE to worry about. Oh, and finishing my PS.

I'm not as worried as I should be, I think.


Wow! That sounds very nerve-wracking. I would be very worried. Good luck to you twelvetigers. That is a lot to think about and worry about. :luck:
 
I'm sending requests for LORs this weekend - I wanted to do them all at once, and I'm asking my last evaluator tomorrow. I'm fairly certain she'll say yes, and I have backups if I need them... I just wanted to wait until the end of our time together to ask.

I don't plan on submitting VMCAS itself until September - I want to have as many hours in there as I can, and I want to make sure some new cool thing doesn't pop up that I'd want to add. I'll probably hit the button around the 15th and then I have quite a while to try if it doesn't work for some reason.

I also need to sign up for the GRE so I can have that date in there too. Ideally I would have been taking it like, today... but... yeah, that's not happening. I have until November, but I also have some hard (IMO) classes, work, and the bio GRE to worry about. Oh, and finishing my PS.

I'm not as worried as I should be, I think.


you got this!! 😀
 
you guys are all such overachievers submitting it before august even starts 😱

Agreed! If I weren't so busy and tired this summer, I'd be freaking out that I am so behind all of you!

I've got most of my classes, most of my employment and experiences, and my contact info entered, and yeah, that's about it.😳 I have spoken to all my evaluators and have them lined up, but I haven't actually entered them in. Haven't started my personal statement, haven't requested any transcripts, and haven't even thought about the explanation statement.

I've been busy racking up veterinary hours and trying to show current academic ability with some upper division bio classes. Not sure how well that is going to actually pan out. Sigh.

But despite all this I've been into the positive thinking lately and had some fun looking at real estate listings for Ft. Collins!😀 Of course that time would have been better spent studying, but whatever. A girl needs to dream too!
 
You can submit your application even if the people writing your LOR's have not submitted yet.
 
^^ I don't know about them, but I'd feel too anxious about that since once you submit you can't change the person if they somehow don't submit on time or need to back out for whatever reason.
 
I just need to finish proofreading and editing my personal statement, wait for my summer grades to come in so I can enter them, and pester my last two evaluators to finish their letters.

I know I'm losing it when I plugged my ps into a LOL cat translator, and couldn't stop giggling at the thought of submitting "I can has dvm?"
 
I know I'm losing it when I plugged my ps into a LOL cat translator, and couldn't stop giggling at the thought of submitting "I can has dvm?"

WHERE IS THE LOLCAT TRANSLATOR? "I can has dvm" achieves new heights of amazingness :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

ETA: Everyone should do this!!!!!!!!! Comic relief is the best stress reliever ever. Though apparent LOLCat doesn't have words for "autodidactic" or "imminent."
 
Last edited:
I think I'm mostly done with VMCAs part of the application. I'm waiting for my LOR people to submit and I'm still polishing the PS a bit.

Some of these supplemental apps are a royal pain in the ass though, making me re-enter everything that's already on my VMCA app (no small feat with 3 degrees and 7 transcripts to enter every time :help:) and then asking some pretty lame additional mini essay questions. Oh well...I'm slogging on through. I can't wait till this is over!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ugh so does anyone think that it's a huge deal if I entered my stupid experiences in the opposite order that they wanted them - oldest to newest? There's so much there and it will be such a pain in the butt to go back and change it now!! Why can't they just order it chronologically themselves? I could write one damn line of code to do that, ffs. 🙄
 
Ugh so does anyone think that it's a huge deal if I entered my stupid experiences in the opposite order that they wanted them - oldest to newest? There's so much there and it will be such a pain in the butt to go back and change it now!! Why can't they just order it chronologically themselves? I could write one damn line of code to do that, ffs. 🙄

i re-entered mine. ugh! some of mine were in reverse as well bc opportunities came up after i had entered all of my previous experiences in. so then it went new to old then the two newest ones. it was a pain. but the only reason i re-entered mine was b/c it started out new to old then had new again. since all of yours are in one continuous order i wonder if they will let that slide.
 
Where's it say it has to be new --> old?

i think it was in the "instructions" for that section. let me look again.

when i clicked on "add new - veterinary experience" then clicked "instructions" it says this:

"List your veterinary experience, beginning with the most recent"
 
as most you know...i turned my spots down at UCD, RVC, and Western and instead will be starting a vet public health masters program at OSU...in the hopes that I get into OSU's vet school for fall 2010 also.... so this summer will be my 4th application season with VMCAS....

I'm being such an unmotivated bum!!!! In all my previous years, I had the VMCAS all filled out and done by August....I've barely started it this go-around....I have all my eLORs and I filled out one or 2 sections...just gotta get my butt in gear and copy all the info in (for like the other 10 sections)! I think I am most unmotivated about rewriting/tweaking my personal essay...and the fact that I just moved from Florida to Kansas this past week! After the house gets unpacked I am gluing myself to the computer to get all of VMCAS done by the end of August!
 
ugh, annoying. Good thing I only have like two things in there so far. Is it the same for all the other sections (extracurric, honors/awards?)

Rules, rules. 🙄

of course not! you have to check each b/c i know at least one of them is in order of importance lol.
 
as most you know...i turned my spots down at UCD, RVC, and Western and instead will be starting a vet public health masters program at OSU...in the hopes that I get into OSU's vet school for fall 2010 also.... so this summer will be my 4th application season with VMCAS....

I'm being such an unmotivated bum!!!! In all my previous years, I had the VMCAS all filled out and done by August....I've barely started it this go-around....I have all my eLORs and I filled out one or 2 sections...just gotta get my butt in gear and copy all the info in (for like the other 10 sections)! I think I am most unmotivated about rewriting/tweaking my personal essay...and the fact that I just moved from Florida to Kansas this past week! After the house gets unpacked I am gluing myself to the computer to get all of VMCAS done by the end of August!


at least you have all of your eLORs! i'm probably gonna be 1 short which makes all of this hard work of filling out the vmcas a waste. 🙁 congrats to you starting your master's program. i know it was probably a hard decision to make to turn down spots at those other schools (it would be for me). good luck this year and with unpacking. 🙂
 
Thanks rileyroo...I hope you find that last eLOR. Turning down my spots to vet school was terrifying and very hard... I couldn't do it until I knew it was for the right reasons (and have faith that I will be starting vet school in 2010). I was an absolute wreck for about 2-3 weeks when trying to make that choice!

This move couldn't have happened at a more inconvenient time! Moving truck delivers tomorrow...then starts the rush to unpack and get my VMCAS done... good luck to the rest of you! 🙂
 
I'm just waiting for my last evaluator to finish, and then I can send my application in.

But now I'm scared. Are you really supposed to send in the VMCAS app before you send in your supplementals? I've just been doing my supplementals while I've been waiting for my evaluator to get his act together. So most of them have been sent in. That shouldn't matter though, right? It's not like they'll toss my supplemental out before the deadline just because they don't have my VMCAS application yet....right??
 
Loolical, I definitely had stuff arriving before my VMCAS. They won't throw it out. To put your mind at ease, just call the admissions office at the beginning of September and ask them to verify that your file is complete besides VMCAS. You can also send the rest of your supplementals with certified mail so you know they arrived.
 
I'm a little frustrated with the VMCAS application and have a few questions. We are supposed to enter our coursework in chronological order, by semester, beginning with the institution we first attended. Correct? I did that and it looks fine on my application page. But, when I print my application, the coursework is not in chronological order. Is anyone else having this problem? I guess I will delete it all, start over, and hope that it works this time. Also, does anyone know the correct address for UGA where our transcripts should be sent? I realize there is one listed on the website, but most of that information is from the 2008 cycle. Every school I am applying to has at least 2 different addresses for transcripts on their website. I have emailed UGA twice to get the correct address, but no one has answered.
 
I'm a little frustrated with the VMCAS application and have a few questions. We are supposed to enter our coursework in chronological order, by semester, beginning with the institution we first attended. Correct? I did that and it looks fine on my application page. But, when I print my application, the coursework is not in chronological order. Is anyone else having this problem? I guess I will delete it all, start over, and hope that it works this time. Also, does anyone know the correct address for UGA where our transcripts should be sent? I realize there is one listed on the website, but most of that information is from the 2008 cycle. Every school I am applying to has at least 2 different addresses for transcripts on their website. I have emailed UGA twice to get the correct address, but no one has answered.
Mine does that too for all the sections. I just figured it was a bug in the printing part. Maybe I'll drop them an email about it - they usually respond pretty quickly to inquiries.
 
Yeah I just called them and they say when it sends to the school then it will be in the correct order, but when you print preview it for yourself it comes up all wonky. She told me not to worry about it.
 
It did that for me last year too - don't worry about it, and don't delete and redo if you haven't already.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm just waiting for my last evaluator to finish, and then I can send my application in.

But now I'm scared. Are you really supposed to send in the VMCAS app before you send in your supplementals? I've just been doing my supplementals while I've been waiting for my evaluator to get his act together. So most of them have been sent in. That shouldn't matter though, right? It's not like they'll toss my supplemental out before the deadline just because they don't have my VMCAS application yet....right??

i'm sending supplementals in before the vmcas, while waiting on my evaluators as well. i'm planning on calling to confirm they are receiving everything soon.
 
Chaaa, I cant believe Im sitting here 2 in the morning doing VMCAS. I suddenly got the motivation to put my experiences in the experience section. Do you guys know if its okay to have your experiences slightly out of order or do you have to do them all over again in chronological order? Also does anyone knows whether >3500 is an example of pretty good Veterinary experience expanding over shelter, exotic and emergency and small animal medicine with very little large animal? Geez..personal statement almost done, university of melbourne app done except without personal statment...there is too much applications to handle.
 
Eeek! I just realized that there's only 7 weeks left until applications are due, and I'm still harassing LOR writers, still haven't finalized my personal statement, still haven't put a dent in my supplemental applications, and worst of all, still haven't figured out 100% how I'm paying for the application process.
 
Dude, seriously, I believe that if I get my personal statement done everything else will fall into place at this point. Like everything is riding on getting that done. ><; I haven't put a dent on the supplementals but Im only applying to two schools with them. Heres for hoping!
 
So here I am sitting home on a Saturday night stressing about my application and moaning over my lack of progress on it over the summer! WHY must I be such a procrastinator?????

The current thing I am stressing about is the community activities section. I am feeling really lame because most of my current community activities relate to animals and are already elsewhere on the application. I feel like I am a really active and involved person, but this section is making me look and feel otherwise! If I go back to college (11-15 years ago) I have more, and high school (15-19 years ago) even more if I can remember them, but that seems really lame to put such old stuff down. Do you think I still should? I almost think it will make me look worse... like I use to be a cool, caring person who volunteered for everything and now I am a useless self-centered slug.

Anyway, thanks to all you overachievers here making me feel inadequate😳, I am going to get all my transcripts requested this weekend! Not sure what it is going to take to get my personal statement written though... and one of my letter writers doesn't want to write the letter until she has seen the PS😱! Hmmm... maybe that there will motivate me soon.
 
Gone2dogs, how about sending that reference your CV/Resume instead? Sometimes doing a PS can take a long time. >>; I know Ive been working on mine for the past two months. It could be easier to just talk to them over a cup of coffee and then sending them a resume. >>; Just to quicken the process.
 
Gone2dogs, how about sending that reference your CV/Resume instead? Sometimes doing a PS can take a long time. >>; I know Ive been working on mine for the past two months. It could be easier to just talk to them over a cup of coffee and then sending them a resume. >>; Just to quicken the process.

I think that is what it is probably going to come down to this week... I actually already took her out to lunch where we discussed things pretty extensively. I think our discussion is actually going to form a lot of the basis of my personal statement. But in addition to helping guide her letter, I think she also wanted to give me feedback on the PS which is really an opportunity I should not waste! Tomorrow.... tomorrow I shall crank out a first draft...

And since posting here last, I just either requested or printed the proper forms to request all 7 transcripts... thank goodness I am only applying to one school, otherwise there would be an even bigger ding on my credit card bill!
 
Oh let's see...

Pretty much done with the TMDSAS one for A&M, but I do have to update it for my MBA stuff.

As for VMCAS....ehhhhh....I still have to put in all my classes (I hate doing that! Especially the way VMCAS does it). Then I need to get my 3 LORs, which is just a matter of going to talk to them.

THEN I need to start my supplementals! Oh well....I'll get it done eventually.
 
I need to finish editing my PS. Need one more letter submitted. Then VMCAS is ready. Entering all the coursework was depressing and I did take a few days off after that.
Got two supplementals done with $ sent in. Just need to sit down and do the others (and wait for next paycheck to cover it!). Retaking GRE in a few weeks... classes start soon. I had off from work and school yesterday and today, thought I would get outside and enjoy whats left of summer before I stress out for the next 8 months of my life. I told my mailman today I would be stalking him too. He said he's ready but I don't really think he understands... haha!
 
All you overachievers with your getting things done early...or maybe you're all just regular achievers, making me a slacker. In any case, my PS is still a sheet of random thoughts that I've been brainstorming, though I think I've got a (rather vague) idea of what I'll be centering it around. I'm in the midst of entering experiences, I have yet to officially ask for LORs (I want to give my evaluators at least a draft of my PS when I ask) and I've hardly touched my Tufts application. This all is really beginning to stress me out.

How precisely did you guys pop the question about your LORs? Two of them, I'm not too worried about, but I'm beginning to feel weird about asking the doctor I'm working for right now because 3 of my coworkers are also applying and they've been working this job for years longer than I have and I know they've all got glowing letters from him. I've only been working this summer, although I went in and shadowed/volunteered weekly for about 9 months previous. So he's seen me quite a bit, but compared to the other letters he's written, he hasn't known me long.
Eeeek. I so hate this.
 
All you overachievers with your getting things done early...or maybe you're all just regular achievers, making me a slacker. In any case, my PS is still a sheet of random thoughts that I've been brainstorming, though I think I've got a (rather vague) idea of what I'll be centering it around. I'm in the midst of entering experiences, I have yet to officially ask for LORs (I want to give my evaluators at least a draft of my PS when I ask) and I've hardly touched my Tufts application. This all is really beginning to stress me out.

How precisely did you guys pop the question about your LORs? Two of them, I'm not too worried about, but I'm beginning to feel weird about asking the doctor I'm working for right now because 3 of my coworkers are also applying and they've been working this job for years longer than I have and I know they've all got glowing letters from him. I've only been working this summer, although I went in and shadowed/volunteered weekly for about 9 months previous. So he's seen me quite a bit, but compared to the other letters he's written, he hasn't known me long.
Eeeek. I so hate this.


maybe you could phrase it in a way to ask for an evaluation based on your experience with that particular doctor. that way you aren't just asking for a letter of recommendation but specifically asking for him to evaluate you based on the time spent with him. i hope that makes sense.
 
I entered all my experiences today! I'll update my hours before I submit, but it's all there, save one name under vet experience... I saved it as 'Dr. Imnot Sureyet' so I need to make sure I remember to fix that. 🙄

I still need to schedule GREs and list the dates... I need to figure out my third eLOR since my LA person will NOT respond to my voicemail/text/message left at clinic... ugh! I also need to finish that dang PS. But I'm closer to being done. 🙂
 
I entered all my experiences today! I'll update my hours before I submit, but it's all there, save one name under vet experience... I saved it as 'Dr. Imnot Sureyet' so I need to make sure I remember to fix that. 🙄

I still need to schedule GREs and list the dates... I need to figure out my third eLOR since my LA person will NOT respond to my voicemail/text/message left at clinic... ugh! I also need to finish that dang PS. But I'm closer to being done. 🙂


wow you've been SO productive recently. you've accomplished a lot. however, i'd love to hear the responses to "Dr. Imnot Sureyet" if you forgot to change it. 🙂 sorry to hear about your LA issue. is this the one you started riding with at the beginning of the summer or who you assisted for your first float? maybe i'm making all of that up, lol but i thought i remembered you asking about holding a horse for a float or something at the beginning of the summer. either way, sorry they aren't responding. i definitely know how that is! very frustrating!
 
I am almost done. I have done almost everything VMCAS related. I retook the GRE a few days ago so that's done with. My personal statement is so close to being done that if I work on it everyday this week it should be finished in a week. I'm waiting for 3/5 eLORS to get done. I plan on submitting my VMCAS app September 2nd and then the supplementals will follow. So excited to be done with this mess, unfortunately I won't be completely done until early to mid-october when I take the supplementals into consideration.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Rileyroo, that's exactly right. She's really busy, but I just can't believe she's busy enough that she hasn't had a moment to respond... I just wish she would tell me if she just doesn't have time or doesn't feel comfortable... so either I did something wrong, or she's just being sort of... well, inconsiderate. She should know what sort of position I'm in, she only graduated in the late 90s or early 2000s.

I guess I should try to call her one more time. :d
 
MY VMCAS is 100% done, now I am just waiting to get paid so I can hit submit and be done with it already.

Working my way through supplementals now🙁 Big boo.
 
i haven't worked on it in weeks. it's completely filled out, but i just don't feel like working on it anymore (reading over it, editing information, etc) until i know if i'm going to have a 3rd eLOR or not. i might just submit it to my IS school and not meet qualifications this year -- i know this is expensive but if i submit it this year, won't that information be saved in vmcas for next year?? i thought i had read that somewhere previously. if that's true, it would be worth the fee to not have to enter all of that information next year. 😀
 
i haven't worked on it in weeks. it's completely filled out, but i just don't feel like working on it anymore (reading over it, editing information, etc) until i know if i'm going to have a 3rd eLOR or not. i might just submit it to my IS school and not meet qualifications this year -- i know this is expensive but if i submit it this year, won't that information be saved in vmcas for next year?? i thought i had read that somewhere previously. if that's true, it would be worth the fee to not have to enter all of that information next year. 😀

They might save it for you anyway--if you registered for your app and have it filled out (regardless of having submitted it). Don't quote me on that though. I still have yet to ask them about entering AP classes and such--I'm on the west coast, and since the hotline closes at 12pm EST (9am my time) I'm gonna have to get up early tomorrow to do that.

I was super productive today. I called and sent in GRE scores (so expensive!) I also called schools about the annoying quarter to semester unit conversion. All my school's classes are 4 quarter units, which is 2 2/3 semester units...which is less than 3, which is the required amount for a lot of schools. So now Missouri is out and possibly Colorado too, but it sounds like they may let me use mol bio for the last 1/3 unit of biochem. I'm hoping calc is good for the last 1/3 unit of statistics too. We'll see.