VMCAS ..how far along are you? C/O 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was super productive today. I called and sent in GRE scores (so expensive!) I also called schools about the annoying quarter to semester unit conversion. All my school's classes are 4 quarter units, which is 2 2/3 semester units...which is less than 3, which is the required amount for a lot of schools. So now Missouri is out and possibly Colorado too, but it sounds like they may let me use mol bio for the last 1/3 unit of biochem. I'm hoping calc is good for the last 1/3 unit of statistics too. We'll see.

You may want to call the schools to verify. They may look at content and overlook the last 1/3 semester hour. Ohio says it only uses the hours listed as a guideline and the course content outweighs exact hours. I wouldn't give up on a school without first asking!

Members don't see this ad.

I did call all the schools I'm considering yesterday, it was fine everywhere but CSU, which told me I should email a substitution request. I got an email back today and they're being all skeptical since my stats class was by the psych department. I just sent them a syllabus for the class (fortunately it uses a newer edition of the same book I did), but since I took the class 3 years ago, I don't have the original syllabus and I can't track down my prof in the school directory. Fingers crossed that it's ok...

You may want to call the schools to verify. They may look at content and overlook the last 1/3 semester hour. Ohio says it only uses the hours listed as a guideline and the course content outweighs exact hours. I wouldn't give up on a school without first asking!

I just sent them a syllabus for the class (fortunately it uses a newer edition of the same book I did), but since I took the class 3 years ago, I don't have the original syllabus and I can't track down my prof in the school directory. Fingers crossed that it's ok...

I needed a syllabus for my genetics class I took in 2004. The professor was long gone. I emailed the secretary of the science department who sent my request to the dean or someone higher. He emailed me a pdf of the syllabus for the exact class I took. I don't know if it is a requirement for them to keep them, but my school was very quick to respond. It is worth a shot. If you have already thought of that (since you seem to be ahead of my suggestions!), maybe it will help some of the other readers!! :)

I just hate to see people give up over something that is easily remedied!

Members don't see this ad :)
The closer I get to the end, I'm finding it harder to be motivated to finish this thing!! All I have left is to finish up my "Experiences" section and then do my personal statement (which I have put off writing this entire time)....think I will tackle the experience section and write my statement tomorrow :p

The closer I get to the end, I'm finding it harder to be motivated to finish this thing!! All I have left is to finish up my "Experiences" section and then do my personal statement (which I have put off writing this entire time)....think I will tackle the experience section and write my statement tomorrow :p

I am in the same boat with you. I have not started my personal statement. I still have to put in experiences and I am waiting on two of my LOR's to submit their stuff. I am going to try to get my stuff done today, but I am like you. "Procrastinator's of the world unite...tomorrow!" :D

I'm gloriously thankful that I'm down to waiting on the paycheck that will pay for me to hit the submit button on VMCAS, GRE scores, Transcripts and most of the Supplimentals. But I find myself strangely nervous about opening NCSU's supplimental. It's the only one I have that isn't basically a file cover sheet. I'm afraid it will have some bizarre and unusual question that I can't answer. Which probably means I should have opened it the first day. Ack!

I'm gloriously thankful that I'm down to waiting on the paycheck that will pay for me to hit the submit button on VMCAS, GRE scores, Transcripts and most of the Supplimentals. But I find myself strangely nervous about opening NCSU's supplimental. It's the only one I have that isn't basically a file cover sheet. I'm afraid it will have some bizarre and unusual question that I can't answer. Which probably means I should have opened it the first day. Ack!

NCSU's supplemental is a pain in the rear, but probably won't be that difficult once I actually sit down and do it. The essays are the obnoxious part, with "what are you passionate about,""what are your unique skills and talents,""what is the greatest challenge facing vet med today and what should we do about it," "where do you see yourself in five years/ when do you plan to retire/what will you do if you never get into vet school," and also a blurb about food animal practice. They also want you to plug in all your courses and list contact info and description of duties for all vets you've worked for who aren't writing your LORs. It's definitely the most involved supplemental I have to do.

Speaking of supplementals, has anyone else sent KSU their packet yet and if so what did you do as far as GRE scores? They said they only want a copy, but the copy I have has a list of all other schools I have applied to/sent scores to. Should I cover that part when I make the photo copy, or would that seem shady? Also, if I don't cover it, will it be frowned upon that seven other schools are on the list?

I guess I kinda feel like it is damned if I do, damned if I don't. Any opinions or suggestions are appreciated.

Speaking of supplementals, has anyone else sent KSU their packet yet and if so what did you do as far as GRE scores? They said they only want a copy, but the copy I have has a list of all other schools I have applied to/sent scores to. Should I cover that part when I make the photo copy, or would that seem shady? Also, if I don't cover it, will it be frowned upon that seven other schools are on the list?

I guess I kinda feel like it is damned if I do, damned if I don't. Any opinions or suggestions are appreciated.

Do you have your copy from when you first took the test that only lists your four freebie schools on it?

I have submitted my VMCAS! As well as most of my transcripts and GRE scores. But I still have loads of supplemental things to do:thumbdown:

I submitted my VMCAS last night and am still paranoid that I missed some stupid little mistake! Nonetheless, it feels good to have it in! On to finish the supplementals... :(

I just decided to send it without covering the other schools since I don't have the sheet with the four free schools on it. Figure why draw attention to it, especially since they might have access to that information anyway.
As for VMCAS, just waiting on 2 evaluators, fine tuning my PS, and adding last minute hours. Should be submitting around the middle of the month.

NCSU's supplemental is a pain in the rear, but probably won't be that difficult once I actually sit down and do it. The essays are the obnoxious part, with "what are you passionate about,""what are your unique skills and talents,""what is the greatest challenge facing vet med today and what should we do about it," "where do you see yourself in five years/ when do you plan to retire/what will you do if you never get into vet school," and also a blurb about food animal practice. They also want you to plug in all your courses and list contact info and description of duties for all vets you've worked for who aren't writing your LORs. It's definitely the most involved supplemental I have to do.

I finally opened it up, yeah, not too much of a pain in the tail. I think the hardest for me is going to be special or unusual talents. Does talking to yourself out loud for the amusement of others count?

Members don't see this ad :)
Done! All I have to do is get the people who'll write my LORs lined out (which I'm going to talk to all of them later today so hopefully I'll have a resolution then) and then do the supplementals (of which I'm about halfway done with).

And then after that, I'll likely take the GRE again...so maybe not quite so 'Done!' after all, but getting there.

My goal is to push the magical "submit" button, mail everything, and have the supplementals finished by Tuesday at the latest.

I have 2 more supplementals to finish - Ohio and Wisconsin. Ohio's questions are stressing me out. I can't think of good situations for all their behavioral questions.

Also, in order to apply to Ohio I needed a second LOR from a vet. I asked the relief vet I work with, and he told me to write it myself. I need to have it written and to him when I go to work tomorrow morning. I don't know what to write. aargh!

Anyways, hoping to have it all done by Tuesday. Then I can sit back and begin the torture of waiting.

Pretty much done, but I just can't bring myself to hit that "submit" button! Just last touches on the personal statement left and a final read-through for mistakes. Plus working on Missouri and NCSU supplementals - I never know how to tackle those "what makes you diverse/unique/extra-super-special" questions. :p

Completely done with my application and all supplementals. Just waiting on two eLORs to be submitted. One of my references just left for a 3 week hunting trip in Alaska, though he assured me that he would get it submitted on time.

Grrr... I hate waiting until the last minute!

OSU's questions were REALLY hard! Still haven't finished them all!

Pretty much done, but I just can't bring myself to hit that "submit" button! Just last touches on the personal statement left and a final read-through for mistakes. Plus working on Missouri and NCSU supplementals - I never know how to tackle those "what makes you diverse/unique/extra-super-special" questions. :p
Yeah I've been procrastinating on those "why are you a unique butterfly?" questions. I'd like to submit on Tuesday though so I'm going to try and buckle down between now and then.

I dislike that Missouri essentially has two of the same 'unique butterfly' questions as well lol.

I haven't even started the first OSU essay yet.

I dislike that Missouri essentially has two of the same 'unique butterfly' questions as well lol.
Haha yeah that's the one I'm stuck on. I have no clue what to put for the second one that's different from the first that doesn't sound completely toolish. I was trying to write it at work yesterday during some downtime and wrote two lines then decided it was lame and went and played some Sally's Spa on my phone.

i'm running out of steam on these essay questions. at this point i'm not feeling unique at all lol.

I finished my Missouri supp app today and now have to tackle Ohio, Western, and Louisiana.

Only saving grace is that I think I still have my Louisiana app from last year saved in a Word file some where so that one should go quickly with a bit of updating. Gonna tackle Ohio tonight and then start working on Western.

I really, REALLY hope I get in to good ol' OKState this year so I don't have to worry about any of these supps next year. They sound miserable - ESPECIALLY the unique butterfly ones.

Remember what Chuck P. said:

[FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everyone else, and we are all part of the same compost pile. ~ Fight Club, Chapter 17.
How's that for inspiration?

Will be submitting mine this week once I get this single question asked about my murdoch application. Also waiting for my pay check. ><; God I hate being poor and VMCAS knows the best way to make me even poorer!

I am also almost done. Close but still so far.

My VMCAS application is basically done (at least from my end) but I'm waiting for 3 more evaluators to write my LORs. My PI I know will get it done this week, the vet I shadow with has had all summer and told me last Wed that he was feeling guilty about not writing it and that it would be done in the next few days...but still not done, and a third person is kind of scatter brained so I'm gonna have to get on her to get it done.

Transcripts have been sent out, although none of the schools are showing receipt of them yet.

I take my GRE on Friday. and while I'm feeling like I've definitely improved, I am not feeling as good about it as I would like to feel. Verbal won't be bad, I always do good on verbal and analytical writing, but GOD I would love to get this quatitative score up to a competitive percentile range.

I've stalled on supplementals. I think once I take the GRE this Friday I'll spend all weekend and next week doing the supplemental thing.

I'm hoping to submit by Sept 18th since my fiance is taking me on a vacation and I do not want any of this hanging over my head while we're gone.

*sigh* its all very stressful and trying to find examples of times I've overcomed something or handled a difficult situation is well..frustrating.

Sorry for probably sounding really dumb with this question, but...

Is there some online method for checking to see whether your schools have received things like GRE scores/transcripts? Or do you all basically just keep bugging the admissions offices with phone calls until they've received everything?

Also, do transcripts need to be in by Oct.2nd as well? I don't see anything about them on VMCAS, so I wasn't sure whether the deadline is the same.

Some schools do have online tracking systems, I know UFl has one, maybe Cornell also...its hard to keep them all straight right now.

I had my transcripts sent back at the beginning of August but none are showing up yet on the online tracking pages. However most of the schools I've applied to say not to call the admissions office until October to verify receipt of GRE scores, transcripts etc, so I'm just assuming they're overwhelmed right now and aren't updating much.

As far as when they need to be in, it depends on the school. North Carolina wants everything in their hands by Oct 2nd. some schools say GREs can be taken as late as Nov 1st and transcripts can be received after the deadline so its good to go through and check on each schools webpage.

I submitted my VMCAS about a week ago, and am now working on Ohio's supplemental app. These questions are so hard to answer, and I feel that I am not unique enough to have great answers. sigh...

I'm finally finished. VMCAS, and all online supplementals are in, and I have a pile of envelopes to go out in the mail tomorrow. Now the waiting game...

I submitted my VMCAS about a week ago, and am now working on Ohio's supplemental app. These questions are so hard to answer, and I feel that I am not unique enough to have great answers. sigh...

Yah no kidding. I feel like a nerd cause I've used 3 work examples to answer 3 of the questions lol. They're going to think I have no life outside of work ha.

Just a thought.

But one of the first questions for my Ohio interview was "Elaborate on the situation you described for X question of the supplemental app."

Does anybody know if you still get the "your evaluator has finished and submitted your recommendation" email from VMCAS if you submit before all your LORs are in?

Does anybody know if you still get the "your evaluator has finished and submitted your recommendation" email from VMCAS if you submit before all your LORs are in?

You do. I submitted my application on Thursday and received one of those e-mails (for the last eLOR I was waiting on) either yesterday or the day before.

i wish i could get up the courage to submit mine. it's ready. just sitting there. i just can't click the button. :scared:

I am waiting for my GRE scores to arrive so I can plug in my percentiles and writing section score.

That should be it for me.

I know others who are just starting though.

All of my applications are complete and just sitting there....taking the GRE next Tuesday, so will probably submit after that.

Also waiting on one LOR to be submitted, but I guess I don't have to necessarily submit until then.

But if they backed out, I'd be screwed. :scared: ...maybe I'll wait til Wednesday to submit...

I submitted all my supplementals but Mizzou yesterday, and mailed all my checks, signature pages, and transcripts out today. I'm waiting for my third LoR to be submitted to finish the VMCAs application and I need to clean up one of the Mizzou essays so that it sounds less lame.

I'm dreading paying the VMCAs fees. $530 makes me want to punch a wall, especially after paying all those supplementals.

Just finished the Colorado State Supplemental, I will probably submit that tomorrow after I take the GRE (YIPES).

UPenn supplemental is done (best supplemental ever!..though still pricey)

This weekend I'll work on the NCSU supplemental and then I'll have all my supps with an Oct 2nd deadline done.

VMCAS is still done but still waiting on 3 LOR to be entered. gotta get on those people about that.

My goal is to submit VMCAS, and the CSU, NCSU, and Upenn supps by Sept 18th.

My next few supplementals aren't due til late October so I'll start working on them later

what are signature pages?
Some schools make you send in a signature page. I think it's either Iowa or Ohio that does it.

Actually, I think it's both, just Iowa wants your signature, and Ohio wants someone else's.

Some schools make you send in a signature page. I think it's either Iowa or Ohio that does it.

Actually, I think it's both, just Iowa wants your signature, and Ohio wants someone else's.

oh ok i'm not applying to either of those schools, which is probably why i didn't know what they were. thanks :)

Sooooo....got my last LOR person today, now it's just submit and payment time. Joy!

I figure by the time it's all said and done I'll be about $1000 in the hole.

Well I finally hit the VMCAS submit button today. I feel both sick to my stomach and utterly relieved.

Now I need to finish supplementals and raise/find more $$$ to pay for those.

So I'm totally panicked :eek:, but trying to make it through as much of the apps and supplements as I can without having a total breakdown and thought I would post something for those of us that don't quite all our **** together :)

I have to say it's quite intimidating reading how much other people have done. But I keep reminding myself there is still time and that I just need to work on it every day. My PS is...incomplete and I'm still missing some classes and all of my animal experience on the VMCAS. For the supplemental stuff, I've barely started and am cringing at the amount that needs to be written. Oh and I'm planning on taking the GRE a second time in 2 weeks and am struggling to find any study time :scared:. Lots of fun going on here, haha.

So to those out there who feel you don't have everything together, to those who can't quite see the light at the end of the tunnel or to those that feel they should just pack-up their bags....Don't Give Up!!! I'm sure there are quite a few of us in this boat and I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone. We'll get through this and then we'll be another step closer to our dream of being veterinarians. So keep your chin up and keep moving forward.

Ok, I feel a little better now :p

Finished!!!! Submitted tonight. I am not going back to look and drive myself crazy.

Good Luck to all of you who are still working on your apps.:luck:

Let the waiting begin. Sighhhhhh.

I submitted last night. Feel pretty ****ty in the morning though. I still have to send Edinburgh their transcript which they so lovingly didn't send me the address until a week ago. ><; Oh well. Such a busy time for the entire world.

Finally submitted VMCAS and my OSU supplemental today (the only school I am applying to this cycle...hah, well hopefully the last cycle for me too)...and just like lambgirl, I'm not going to drive myself crazy by giving it a second thought...good luck to the rest of you still working on it! :luck:

Last edited:
Finally submitted VMCAS and my OSU supplemental today (the only school I am applying to this cycle...hah, well hopefully the last cycle for me too)...and just like lambgirl, I'm not going to drive myself crazy by giving it a second thought...good luck to the rest of you still working on it! :luck:

i put my printed app in a folder. i refuse to look at it again! :D good luck to everyone who has already submitted and the rest of you who are preparing to submit!