VMCVM c/o 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How soon will they start pulling people off of the waitlist? Do they only pull people after April 1st?

Members don't see this ad.

How soon will they start pulling people off of the waitlist? Do they only pull people after April 1st?
People can drop out of the waitlist now, or can get pulled off the waitlist now. April 1st is when you can contact admissions to receive your waitlist number.

Reactions: 1 users
The general rule is to wear something appropriate. You're definitely allowed to wear hoodies. There's really only a set dress code for labs (pants, lab coats, closed toed shoes.)
So would leggings and a hoodie be something that's okay to wear to class?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how many kids are put on the waitlist usually? (OOS and IS)

From what I understood they put everybody that interviewed on the wait list. I don’t think they deny anyone but I could be wrong

From what I understood they put everybody that interviewed on the wait list. I don’t think they deny anyone but I could be wrong
Last year one of my friends was rejected without being waitlisted and I know many years everyone who was waitlisted eventually got a seat so we have a chance. My boyfriend attended the information session during my interview and that is what they told him.

Is it VMRCVM or VMCVM?? I see it both ways but was wondering if one was actually correct?

Last year one of my friends was rejected without being waitlisted and I know many years everyone who was waitlisted eventually got a seat so we have a chance. My boyfriend attended the information session during my interview and that is what they told him.

Do you know if they were referring to IS or OOS?

Hi Everyone, out of curiosity, has anyone dropped either from the OOS waitlist or is no longer attending the OOS acceptance pool? Trying to see if the OOS waitlist is moving!

Do you know if they were referring to IS or OOS?
They didn't specify which leads me to believe both but I could be very wrong. I know waitlists can be extremely variable.

Members don't see this ad :)
They did say at the interview info sessions that most people who get declined an interview should contact them for feedback on their app. I did that last year and it was EXTREMELY helpful since I got an interview invite this cycle after pinpointing everything they suggested. You get feedback on your essays and everything in between. Also, those who were waitlisted after receiving an interview and don’t get in typically can resubmit their application for the next cycle and *most likely* get another interview the following year but sometimes the pools have gotten so much larger a few people may not get a repeat interview. In either case, meeting or talking to admissions after rejection or waitlist after interviews is almost mandatory if you want to give yourself the best chance to get in.

Does anyone know how many kids are put on the waitlist usually? (OOS and IS)
Everyone who was given an interview but did not get accepted is put on the waitlist (I would assume that there are a few exceptions in which someone interviewed and for whatever reason was deemed a poor fit for the school).

If it’s at all helpful, I HIGHLY recommend contacting the admissions office when they offer application reviews in the spring. My first time applying, I was waitlisted for an interview and didn’t move far enough up the list to get an interview. I got very helpful feedback on what I could improve on and what elements were very good and didn’t need to be changed. The following year, I was able to fix my application and I was accepted. Take advantage of admissions counseling!

They did say at the interview info sessions that most people who get declined an interview should contact them for feedback on their app. I did that last year and it was EXTREMELY helpful since I got an interview invite this cycle after pinpointing everything they suggested. You get feedback on your essays and everything in between. Also, those who were waitlisted after receiving an interview and don’t get in typically can resubmit their application for the next cycle and *most likely* get another interview the following year but sometimes the pools have gotten so much larger a few people may not get a repeat interview. In either case, meeting or talking to admissions after rejection or waitlist after interviews is almost mandatory if you want to give yourself the best chance to get in.

I would agree with this! Got an interview last year and talked with Dr. Pelzer on the phone, and I found her feedback super helpful. Got waitlisted for an interview this time around, but again, pools/# of applicants change each year. Congrats to everyone who was accepted :)

Okay so maybe I’m too excited lol but does anyone know where to get VMCVM apparel?

There’s a big SAVMA meeting at the beginning of the semester where all the clubs sell logo merchandise.

Can anyone here talk about their experiences as a small animal tracker? Also what schools did you choose VM over and why?

Can anyone here talk about their experiences as a small animal tracker? Also what schools did you choose VM over and why?

I can answer the second question: money (IS).

If you don’t have an IS school, VA-MD’s new curriculum is the bomb. It’s not perfect, but way better than what I see other students talking about at their school. The faculty is very responsive to student feedback, and they’re tweaking it every year to make it better. Of course, the real test will be to see how the class of 2020 does on NAVLE’s this fall (they’re the first students at our school to go through the new curriculum), but I’m confident they’ll do very well.

If you have an IS school, wait and reapply there until you get in, because money. Kidding! Kind of...

Reactions: 2 users
Usually, the rule of thumb is that you go to your in-state school because of the money factor. This is HIGHLY recommended!! Student debt starts accruing interest the second you accept your loan, so it is wise to attend your in-state school.

Usually, the rule of thumb is that you go to your in-state school because of the money factor. This is HIGHLY recommended!! Student debt starts accruing interest the second you accept your loan, so it is wise to attend your in-state school.
I didn't get into my in-state (Cornell) . But I'm weary against re-applying because of the stress of it all and the increasing competition.

I didn't get into my in-state (Cornell) . But I'm weary against re-applying because of the stress of it all and the increasing competition.
By all means, it is your choice, but veterinary student debt does get a lot worse with the accruing interest. Personally, I would do a file review with Cornell, re-apply and work for more experience, save money for a year, and then hopefully be accepted.

By all means, it is your choice, but veterinary student debt does get a lot worse with the accruing interest. Personally, I would do a file review with Cornell, re-apply and work for more experience, save money for a year, and then hopefully be accepted.

That plus apply to OOS schools that let you switch residency to get IS tuition.

Reactions: 3 users
I was just wondering if they said that at this past interview info session or if that was from a previous year?

I personally would probably accept my offer this year. I know that you can apply to be a transfer student to Cornell, a friend of mine who went to Midwestern was accepted as a transfer. You never know if you are going to get in again let alone in the next year.

Because the courses are the same for all tracks years 1 and 2, you'll really need a 3rd a 4th year student to give you a sense of things...

But, if you haven't seen it already this may be useful:

DVM Curriculum and Course Information

The DVM Curriculum at a Glance section (scroll down a little) shows you the class requirements over all 4 years, including the core curriculum completed during years 1 and 2.
The Table of Courses -Third Year pdf linked at the top has the 3rd year required + elective classes for all tracks.
The DVM Clerkship Master Table pdf linked toward the top has the required + elective clerkships for all tracks.

(Small Animals Trackers generally stay put on campus for all of their clerkships except for one possible elective.)

(I'm totally late to this party)

I'm not a SA-tracker, but as a third year I can confirm what was previously said that tracking doesn't matter at VMCVM until clinical rotations and 3rd year. All students are taking the same classes the first two years of the curriculum, which are balanced to try and reflect the percentage of questions for each species on the NAVLE (so around 60% or so of our courses were SA focused and the remainder was split between equine and food animal with some sprinkling of aquatic, wildlife, etc). Third year is when you take your track courses and your electives. What was mentioned before about SA trackers having to remain on campus primarily for their clinical rotations is accurate.

As for reasons I chose this school, as an OOS student I can still say money. To be fair, my only other option was Iowa (I was waitlisted), but I love Virginia and would've chosen it over Iowa regardless. My in-state was UC Davis and Western. I'm a non-traditional student without a Bachelor's so Davis wasn't an option anyway, but when I looked at the tuition + cost of living information that was provided at the time (I believe by SAVMA? Or AVMA, I can't recall), it would've been more expensive than my OOS tuition at VMCVM anyway. Same goes for Western. Tuition at the schools you're looking at is important, but so is factoring in cost of living. My friend's who go to Ohio (a school where you can change to IS tuition after first year if you change your residency) ultimately will owe about the same I do in loan repayments due to the cost of living in Columbus and the price of their first year's OOS tuition. So definitely keep all of that in mind when looking around!

I agree with everything stated about the curriculum by far. Third year is reminiscent of the old curriculum and it's tiring. I don't envy those who have to marathon this type of course load for three years. The appeal of the new curriculum was also a major reason I was enticed by this school, and though it's had some hefty bumps for my class it's also been pretty great. From what I've seen, it's only been improving for the classes below us as they work out the kinks.

The curriculum is good so far up to year two but I’ve been pretty grumpy about year 3 from the small animal side. Feel free to DM if you want specifics but keep in mind some of our issues will likely be resolved by the time 2023 gets there.

I went through with the old curriculum and was a public/corporate tracker....but the thing that appealed to me the most about VMCVM (besides the IS tuition) was the faculty. They're just baller. An absolutely wonderful group of people who really want to see everyone succeed.

I found out I’m waitlisted for WSU and I’m instate anyone know how much movement there is and what are my chances?

I found out I’m waitlisted for WSU and I’m instate anyone know how much movement there is and what are my chances?
I think it depends on the VA or MD pool. I think most people say the VA spots move like 3 spots give or take, and Maryland has some more variation

Getting way ahead of myself here, but does VMCVM allow transfer students? I was accepted OOS, but VMCVM is my IS and I was selected as an alternate. Would it be possible to transfer after my first year to receive IS tuition? I couldn't find anything on the website.

Getting way ahead of myself here, but does VMCVM allow transfer students? I was accepted OOS, but VMCVM is my IS and I was selected as an alternate. Would it be possible to transfer after my first year to receive IS tuition? I couldn't find anything on the website.

Doubtful IMO, as you would have been living out of the state for a year. You would somehow have to prove that you were not returning to Virginia specifically for the purpose of school...which is what you would be doing. You also would have needed to reside in Virginia for at least one year prior to attending school, including paying VA income taxes, having a VA driver's license, having VA voter registration, etc...which would be impossible if you were attending an OOS institution. I can't say for sure if you could convince them, but it would be difficult. You'd have to speak directly to the school for a clear answer.

Doubtful IMO, as you would have been living out of the state for a year. You would somehow have to prove that you were not returning to Virginia specifically for the purpose of school...which is what you would be doing. You also would have needed to reside in Virginia for at least one year prior to attending school, including paying VA income taxes, having a VA driver's license, having VA voter registration, etc...which would be impossible if you were attending an OOS institution. I can't say for sure if you could convince them, but it would be difficult. You'd have to speak directly to the school for a clear answer.

Thank you! I figured that might be the case. Staying with my OOS acceptance would be cheaper than returning to VA in that case, unless there were extenuating circumstances (marriage to a resident, etc.).

BTW, love your user name. Big REM fan here! :D

Has anyone been pulled off the OOS waitlist yet?

Finally decided to actually make an account on here, accepted IS!! This was my third time applying and interviewing, so to those of you waitlisted, stay strong, keep fighting, and don't lose hope!!

Reactions: 5 users
I believe we were told that they stopped accepting transfers because of the new curriculum. Since it doesn't line up with other schools' curriculums, there is no way to integrate a transfer student. (You'd be ahead in some respects, but behind in others.) So, even if they allowed you to transfer, you would have to start over as a 1st year.

Email admissions for sure to confirm that though because I don't remember specifically who told us that or when so I may be totally off base or misremembering.

Hey guys, what's the rough timeline for housing? Right now I'm waiting to see if I'm going to room with a friend of mine, so I haven't looked at housing yet. When do leases usually get signed? If I wait until May is that pretty late?

Hey guys, what's the rough timeline for housing? Right now I'm waiting to see if I'm going to room with a friend of mine, so I haven't looked at housing yet. When do leases usually get signed? If I wait until May is that pretty late?

Tagging off of this, how hard is it to find housing if you’re called off the waitlist in the summer. Will a lot of places already be taken by then?

Tagging off of this, how hard is it to find housing if you’re called off the waitlist in the summer. Will a lot of places already be taken by then?

There are lots of places looking to sign leases for July-August timeframe now. We had ours signed by May. If you get called off the waitlist, there will still be options, but yeah, more limited than before. Blacksburg/Christiansburg area has a huge rental market, though, so I wouldn’t worry.

I signed my housing In July, there are always places available

I need my rabies vaccine--anyone know the approximate cost for the vaccine? I haven't hit the deductible for my insurance so I'm sure this is going to be a hit to my HSA. Is the rabies clinic VMCVM puts on gonna be cheaper?