VMCVM c/o 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Really? You think schools have more than one token old person in each class? I was flat out told I would never get into UGA because I’m over 40 by someone last year “Oh honey, I’m sorry, you’re too old. You needed a 4.0 to be that one person”. I guess I’m stuck on that conversation....

I was speaking more to your assumption that research means nothing because it didn't result in the outcome you desired, but I can speak to the age issue as well. My class (at VMCVM) had quite a few people in their 30s and 40s, and even one 50s. I'm sorry the outcome was not what you wanted, but its better to accept unfortunate events with grace rather than salt. On the flip side, whoever told you you were "too old" in the manner you describe is a douchecanoe.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
“On the flip side, whoever told you you were "too old" in the manner you describe is a douchecanoe.” Love.

I guess I’m wondering what in the world I’m doing wrong because “research” is definitely not helping me. So you think I have too much competition in neuroscience? I mean I have ichthyology and equine too (not published just posters...like 10ish). All I’m saying is, I’m not standing out. Research doesn’t give you some miracle highlight on your application. It really doesn’t SEEM to matter. Not being “salty”, just realistic. There are MANY students that get accepted with absolutely no research experience. If I don’t get in anywhere, this is my last cycle applying (it’s not looking good). I keep seeing this “I don’t have research” panic amongst applicants and it really isn’t something to worry so much about! That’s all.

I think having a PhD after my name is just as worthy (and hey, I’ll get a stipend and free school instead). So “salt” was not what I was going for! Disgust in making these young people charge up more and more debt thinking it’s something they “need” is more like it.

“Even one in their 50’s” yep. One.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Have you done any file reviews? From what you say, you sound quite competitive (I was also a very research-heavy applicant when I applied:highfive:).

Or perhaps something unknowingly came off oddly in your essays? A trap that us research-y people can fall into is harping TOO much on the research - to the point that committees think you are better suited to a PhD or something of the sort rather than a clinical degree (i.e. is this person really dedicated to veterinary medicine, or at they just dedicated to research). In any case, still sucks. I loved the older cohort in my class - they added so much diversity of experience.

A PhD is definitely just as worthy IMO. My PhD was harder than vet school by a mile.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,

I figured I’d go ahead and make a profile after reading from the shadows. Thanks for all the heads up over the last few months, I know things have been beyond stressful!

I’m an IS applicant that received an invite for the regular DVM program and the DVM/PhD Dual Degree program yesterday. Is anyone else interested in research or the PhD portion?

Hey everyone,

I figured I’d go ahead and make a profile after reading from the shadows. Thanks for all the heads up over the last few months, I know things have been beyond stressful!

I’m an IS applicant that received an invite for the regular DVM program and the DVM/PhD Dual Degree program yesterday. Is anyone else interested in research or the PhD portion?

Feel free to PM me. I did my PhD here (as well as DVM) and my SO is a nontrad dualy.

I had a sub cumGPA but good last 45 and science if they took my newer grades due to 7 year rule. I did have 4000hrs of vet experience and 1500-2000 of LA so maybe thats what saved me from outright rejection but I feel like waitlisted is a delayed rejection. Still I had a feeling id be outright rejected at all so this is good

Reactions: 1 users
Really? You think schools have more than one token old person in each class? I was flat out told I would never get into UGA because I’m over 40 by someone last year “Oh honey, I’m sorry, you’re too old. You needed a 4.0 to be that one person”. I guess I’m stuck on that conversation....
Research hours are actually wanted in a few schools. I know UF likes them and so do a few I applied to. They help round out applicants. Not needed per say but it helps diversity

I had a sub cumGPA but good last 45 and science if they took my newer grades due to 7 year rule. I did have 4000hrs of vet experience and 1500-2000 of LA so maybe thats what saved me from outright rejection but I feel like waitlisted is a delayed rejection. Still I had a feeling id be outright rejected at all so this is good
You have a lot of hours. That's really good. I barely scraped 100 of veterinary hours, I have to work full time to support myself and undergrad makes my schedule so hectic no vet would pay me

For those of you on the wait list and going into finals week here's some inspiration
IMG_20181205_153441.jpeg

You have a lot of hours. That's really good. I barely scraped 100 of veterinary hours, I have to work full time to support myself and undergrad makes my schedule so hectic no vet would pay me
I did the same, most of my hours are after undergrad. I did most of my vet work for little or no pay while retaking my courses I had issue with due to working 2 jobs and hardships ( house damage..living in basements...grandfather dying and taking care of him) I was lucky to find a vet to take me on who would pay me in gas ( filled up my tank) and when she lost most staff when she plamned to moved to wellington paid me what she could.

If you don't get in this cycle work until next cycle and reapply. I tell all my careers in animal science students to take a year off and work. Its worth it. Im 28 with 2 degrees, I took off 3 years to retake courses and work. It was hard but im hoping it pays off.

Here is a message from a random bench during UF finals.

Attachments

• received_343432066444241.jpeg
    received_343432066444241.jpeg
    89 KB · Views: 133
Members don't see this ad :)
Not applying to VMCVM but this is how the name of this thread suddenly reads on my feed. Not when I click on it. Only on the feed. XD
IMG_1988.jpg

We're you on the wait list before?
No. Just late posting this. Best of luck to everyone who got waitlisted! There's a waitlist for a reason.... you never know! Unfortunately there are just more qualified applicants than there are seats.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know the specifics of the MMI interviews? How many stations are there? How much time do we have to prepare? How much time do we have in each room?

Does anyone know the specifics of the MMI interviews? How many stations are there? How much time do we have to prepare? How much time do we have in each room?

The administrative staff will answer more detailed questions for you the night before your interview or the morning of, but unless it's changed since last year (and I doubt it has) I can tell you this: there are around 8 scenarios/rooms. You have two minutes to stand outside of the room and read the scenario on the door (during this time and while inside the room, you are provided with a paper, pencil, and clipboard). The scenario will be posted on the table inside the room, so if you don't finish reading (you will) or you want to look it over again you can do so while in the room. You have six minutes once you enter the room to answer the questions provided.

They seem scary because they're different and interviews are scary in general, but most people seem to enjoy them once the nerves are settled!

Has anyone on the waitlist been emailed for an interview yet?

My best advice for MMIs is that you can't possibly prepare for all the scenarios, but you can prepare for how you present yourself. Are you articulate? Are you humble? Are you polite? Are you logical? Are you approachable? Are you professional? Are you someone who these people would be proud to call their student? Are you someone who your classmates would want on their team? Etc. My biggest tip is: please don't come off as a fake, entitled DB who thinks they are the best thing since sliced bread. Trust me, interviewers can see right through you.

This can be difficult for introverts, of course. I do think MMI format is a little harder for us because we aren't naturally talkative and open with people. Practice on honing your "interview personality". I was a huge introvert aaaall through vet school until I learned to cultivate a sort of "alternate persona" for clinics, teaching, and interviewing.

Reactions: 13 users
My best advice for MMIs is that you can't possibly prepare for all the scenarios, but you can prepare for how you present yourself. Are you articulate? Are you humble? Are you polite? Are you logical? Are you approachable? Are you professional? Are you someone who these people would be proud to call their student? Are you someone who your classmates would want on their team? Etc. My biggest tip is: please don't come off as a fake, entitled DB who thinks they are the best thing since sliced bread. Trust me, interviewers can see right through you.

This can be difficult for introverts, of course. I do think MMI format is a little harder for us because we aren't naturally talkative and open with people. Practice on honing your "interview personality". I was a huge introvert aaaall through vet school until I learned to cultivate a sort of "alternate persona" for clinics, teaching, and interviewing.

THIS is some of the best advice I have read on here-and not just for MMI, for all interviews, AND what you need to come across on your application. Too many applicants are worried about numbers. You need to show that you are a professional, who can be a leader. Stop worrying about all the shadowing hours, and get involved with something that shows your leadership skills.
And as a fellow introvert-that alternate persona was quite useful all through college and during interviews. I actually really enjoyed MMI format.

anyone move from the waitlist?

Does anyone know if they will give out information about your rank on the waitlist

Does anyone know if they will give out information about your rank on the waitlist

I don't think they will...I emailed them and received no response. If you want to know, I would recommend calling

Hey everyone, I scheduled my interview for Sunday morning at 8am but I'm trying to change to any of the Saturday interview times. If anyone who has a Saturday interview wants to switch to Sunday morning please contact the admissions office so we can switch!!

Just received an interview offer from the waitlist!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 16 users
Hey everyone! I'm a current 1st year at VMCVM. I went through the interview process more then once before I got in. I'm happy to answer any questions that anyone has, I know this is a stressful time for everyone!

Reactions: 8 users
Hey all, I know interviews are around the corner and I just wanted to wish you all who received an invite good luck! I am currently a 1st year at VMRCVM and honestly feel like the interviews were just yesterday. VMR has the most fun interview sessions, by far, compared to the other vet schools. For those of you who are waitlisted, don't give up hope! You'd be surprised how far down the waitlist they go some years! If you have any questions about Virginia Tech or generalities about the MMIs I'd be happy to help :)

Reactions: 6 users
Hey all, I know interviews are around the corner and I just wanted to wish you all who received an invite good luck! I am currently a 1st year at VMRCVM and honestly feel like the interviews were just yesterday. VMR has the most fun interview sessions, by far, compared to the other vet schools. For those of you who are waitlisted, don't give up hope! You'd be surprised how far down the waitlist they go some years! If you have any questions about Virginia Tech or generalities about the MMIs I'd be happy to help :)
Hope they go far down this year but we only have 10-12 days until they close it :/

People are hearing from other schools so there's always a chance.. will anything come of asking how long the list is or where you are on it

I emailed them asking where I was on the interview waitlist and they never replied! That was when I initially got the interview waitlist email

I emailed them asking where I was on the interview waitlist and they never replied! That was when I initially got the interview waitlist email
Hello,
Admissions is usually fantastic about responding back to you promptly. They are more than likely inundated with preparing for interviewing the class of 2023, and they are in charge of calculating our class rank after each semester so they are trying to get through everything. I would just send them a friendly follow up email :)

Hope they go far down this year but we only have 10-12 days until they close it :/
We had people last year literally get an email a day or two before interviews, so remain hopeful! Even if you don't get an interview, remember that applying to veterinary school is an incredible feat in itself and you will be even more prepared for next year's round of applications. Trust me, staying optimistic is always helpful. My stats (compared to other applicants who applied last year) were not all that sexy and yet I still somehow ended up here.

We had people last year literally get an email a day or two before interviews, so remain hopeful! Even if you don't get an interview, remember that applying to veterinary school is an incredible feat in itself and you will be even more prepared for next year's round of applications. Trust me, staying optimistic is always helpful. My stats (compared to other applicants who applied last year) were not all that sexy and yet I still somehow ended up here.
That is encouraging :)

I was waitlisted for an interview and I wonder how hard it is to get out of the waitlist? I just wanna be prepared

I was waitlisted for an interview and I wonder how hard it is to get out of the waitlist? I just wanna be prepared

Well Virginia Tech is a very popular school as it is, especially their vet school so it is hard to say--some years they go far down the waitlist, others they don't make it into the double digits.

OOS waitlist. There’s still hope lol although this waitlist seems very long. Wishing all of us luck!

Initial materials said the interviews would be on the 18th and 19th. Then the waitlist email said 19th and 20th. I'm holding out hope (and a hotel reservation, lol) to move up from the waitlist so does anyone know the correct dates? Are they on Sat and Sun (19th and 20th)?

(edit: I did reply to the waitlist email asking this question but of course they are way too busy to get back to me)

Initial materials said the interviews would be on the 18th and 19th. Then the waitlist email said 19th and 20th. I'm holding out hope (and a hotel reservation, lol) to move up from the waitlist so does anyone know the correct dates? Are they on Sat and Sun (19th and 20th)?

(edit: I did reply to the waitlist email asking this question but of course they are way too busy to get back to me)
Interviews are on the 19th and 20th, hopefully the waitlist shifts around

Hi everyone! To those of you who may have accepted other seats at schools that have released their acceptances, please remember to take your name off the waitlist!

Reactions: 6 users
Hi everyone! To those of you who may have accepted other seats at schools that have released their acceptances, please remember to take your name off the waitlist!
Thank you for the reminder! I know a lot of folks accepted seats at schools already so this is helpful.

Just received an email that I was pulled off of the interview waitlist!!! I'm OOS and my interview is this Sunday!! :soexcited:

Reactions: 19 users