***Wayne State SOM Everything***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

UMP

Recovered Under-Achiever
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
You can talk all WSU-SOM in here....
one of the biggest classes ever.
I went through the process last year, and it's good to keep it in the same thread

Members don't see this ad.

a couple of things:

WSU loves Canadians... as long as you have 34+ scores
WSU loves OOS'ers.... as long as you are 30+.... I'm talking to you californian's....

this year was very competitive. The average MCAT score was around 33.
They love OOS'ers though, apply with 30+...
Others: you might get an interview with 24+ if you are real hot otherwise. WSU likes big MCAT scores

any questions, pose here... I'll try to get all WSU students here.

We have about 20 huge hospitals to play around with, including 8 that are exclusively ours. You will not get a better clinical experience anywhere else

After my interview there the only thing I didn't like was the tuition.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im a Michigander from Dtown. Wayne State is my top choice, but I haven't heard anything from them since I was complete (9/10). I really hope I do, I have the exact numbers on this years MSAR.

I have my interview there on Nov 20th! I am from Michigan also...though I am currently in Virginia Beach because my husbands military. I hope my interview goes smoothly!!

Im a Michigander from Dtown. Wayne State is my top choice, but I haven't heard anything from them since I was complete (9/10). I really hope I do, I have the exact numbers on this years MSAR.

don't worry too much right now. i was complete in late august and didnt get the request for secondaries until november. submitted everything within a few days--->was interviewed on 12/15 last year.

Interview Nov. 12th...looking forward to learning more about the school. I would really like to learn more about the relationship between the SOM and DMC. I've heard from several sources that it is strained.

Do you guys know what are the average stats for IS/OOS matriculants. Also what percentage of IS get secondaries.

Wayne's instate for me. I was a bit leery of Detroit at first, but I'm now totally psyched about Wayne. Fantastic clinical experience, what with the incredible patient population they've got a monopoly on. It's the only medschool serving Detroit, and they really played up the fact that you get to see EVERYTHING.

Major cool points.

probly a stupid question...but secondary invites are automatic and come in the mail?? or are the screened...i still havent gotten mine yet--or any notification that i put them on my amcas o_O;

I interviewed at Wayne a few weeks ago. Question for those currently attending: does anyone live close to the school or do most students live out in the suburbs? What about camaraderie among the students? Actual community involvement? When I asked my tour guide about local coffee shops, he just looked at me funny and said that he would stick to studying on-campus because it's not safe to walk down the street by myself. ??? Any thoughts?

probly a stupid question...but secondary invites are automatic and come in the mail?? or are the screened...i still havent gotten mine yet--or any notification that i put them on my amcas o_O;

Secondaries are screened. It took them about a month and a half to process my AMCAS and send me a secondary.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wayne State interviews are scheduled based on academic stats. Those who interview early in the season tend to have higher GPA/MCAT. Those who interview late in the season tend to have lower GPA/MCAT.

Wayne's instate for me. I was a bit leery of Detroit at first, but I'm now totally psyched about Wayne. Fantastic clinical experience, what with the incredible patient population they've got a monopoly on. It's the only medschool serving Detroit, and they really played up the fact that you get to see EVERYTHING. Major cool points.

The Wayne State University - Detroit Medical Center area is the safest part of Detroit. There is a police station on Woodward and Hancock, and there is also the WSU police and DMC security police that patrol the area. According to official statistics, the crime rate in the area is much lower than the city and even the suburbs. I often walk home from school late in the evening and haven't had any problems.

I interviewed at Wayne a few weeks ago. Question for those currently attending: does anyone live close to the school or do most students live out in the suburbs?
About 30-40% of the medical students live in the surrounding area.

What about camaraderie among the students? Actual community involvement?
The academic environment can be quite competitive.

When I asked my tour guide about local coffee shops, he just looked at me funny and said that he would stick to studying on-campus because it's not safe to walk down the street by myself. ??? Any thoughts?
The area is safe. Don't worry about it.

WSU loves Canadians... as long as you have 34+ scores
WSU loves OOS'ers.... as long as you are 30+.... I'm talking to you californian's....
Absolutely true.

I'm actually typing this in Scott Hall, and I would love nothing more than to be a med student here next year. I'm a little scared about my chances because of the sheer number of people applying. I'm a little below their average MCAT and ~3.8 science GPA, WSU undergrad, so lets hope they have some love for me.

If anyone has any questions about Detroit and Midtown please feel free to ask, I have spent the past 3.5 years here so I know a whole lot.

Im confused if there average GPA is 33, why would the like OOSers with just a 30 or so?

Im confused if there average GPA is 33, why would the like OOSers with just a 30 or so?

To the best of the collective knowledge, last year was a fluke...
-higher scores than usual
-less alternate list movement than usual
-etc

I heard the same thing happened at Michigan last year, where their average MCAT was 36. I certainly hope it's a fluke, because I am screwed otherwise.

Fantastic clinical experience, what with the incredible patient population they've got a monopoly on. It's the only medschool serving Detroit, and they really played up the fact that you get to see EVERYTHING.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think recently, something happened at the DMC so that MSU students will get to do their rotations at the DMC (so WSU isn't the ONLY medschool w/ DMC monopoly). I was upset when I heard they were deciding whether to go ahead with this but I'm not sure ife it pulled through.

I interviewed at Wayne a few weeks ago. Question for those currently attending: does anyone live close to the school or do most students live out in the suburbs? What about camaraderie among the students? Actual community involvement? When I asked my tour guide about local coffee shops, he just looked at me funny and said that he would stick to studying on-campus because it's not safe to walk down the street by myself. ??? Any thoughts?

It seemed like a lot of my classmates live either in Detroit or Royal Oak (almost 50/50). A few people live in other areas (commuting from home, etc)

Hey guys, question about my possibilities:

WSU is my #1 choice
Live in MI, went to WSU for undergrad
Excellent EC's
4.0 Post-bac GPA
4.0 MBA GPA
23 on the MCAT

any chances?

Hey guys, question about my possibilities:

WSU is my #1 choice
Live in MI, went to WSU for undergrad
Excellent EC's
4.0 Post-bac GPA
4.0 MBA GPA
23 on the MCAT

any chances?

Not unless you're "special" and your EC's include serving as a general during the battle of antietam.

Is Wayne State harder to get into this year? All of my friends do not have interviews yet.

Is Wayne State harder to get into this year? All of my friends do not have interviews yet.

Every single school looks harder to get into this year....

As when it comes to Canadians it seems they are trying to become less and less friendlier. I called the admissions office and talked to Barbara few weeks ago and was informed that they will only be accepting 5 Canadians this year....If I had a 34+ on the MCAT, the last thing I would do would be paying 54K/year to live in Detroit...

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think recently, something happened at the DMC so that MSU students will get to do their rotations at the DMC (so WSU isn't the ONLY medschool w/ DMC monopoly). I was upset when I heard they were deciding whether to go ahead with this but I'm not sure ife it pulled through.

It seemed like a lot of my classmates live either in Detroit or Royal Oak (almost 50/50). A few people live in other areas (commuting from home, etc)

it's a hell of a lot more than that... DMC more or less tried to completely pull away from Wayne last year, which would have resulted in the entire Wayne residency program dissolving. They've signed a new contract, but nothing is stopping this same **** from happening again at that time.

The dispute actually caused the demise of a couple residency programs including Ortho; so basically all the residents at that time became SOL when their program no longer existed.

...Wayne is currently more than 50% FMG in their residency programs. Obviously this wouldn't affect the med students a whole lot, but there's something to be said about the advantage of being able to match at your home institution.

Im not too sure about those Wayne state numbers...
when I checked USnews.com....

Wayne state average for 2007 class was 3.55 and thier MCAT was....(brb let me go check)

Wayne State University (MI)
3.54 ~ average UG GPA
9.8 ~ average MCAT score
9.3 ~ average MCAT verbal
9.8 ~ average MCAT Pysical science
10.2 ~ average MCAT biological science
O ~ MCAT writting

and here is a chart of IS/OOS applicants vs acceptances
Applied Interviewed Accepted Enrolled
Total: 3,385 881 518 288
In-state: 1,170 668 415 230
OOS: 2,215 213 103 58
Women: 1,581 409 257 146
Minorities: 1,614 386 205 107
Internat: 321 66 31 11

I am Canadian and I have an interview at Wayne in early November. From what I read, someone said they would only be taking 5 Canadians this year. Shoudl I am hence deduce that my chances are slim to nil?
Anything Wayne particularly likes about applicants?
What hotel do you Detroit residents suggest I apply to?
Thanks!

I am Canadian and I have an interview at Wayne in early November. From what I read, someone said they would only be taking 5 Canadians this year. Shoudl I am hence deduce that my chances are slim to nil?
Thanks!

Good luck with your interview! I'm not from Detroit, but when I interviewed at Wayne earlier this week, I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn in downtown Detroit, and liked it there. I got the special rate for interviewees mentioned on Wayne's website too. Here's the link in case you didn't know about it: http://www.med.wayne.edu/admissions/applicants/index.asp

Thanks!

The Inn on Ferry Street is pretty awesome, although its a bit of a walk to the med school, probably 15 minutes. You could hop on a shuttle and get there quickly. It's in a safe area,

http://innonferrystreet.com/05/

Hey guys. My grandparents/uncle live in Toledo, so I've spent much time in the Detroit area (much cooler than Toledo).

I myself am Canadian. I've been complete at WSU for less than a week now. Any idea how long it will be before I get an interview invite (I haven't had any yet!).

Also, this 34+ MCAT thing...how hard/important is this? The reason I ask is, that I wrote the MCAT twice, and the first time I only got a 32O (tried to improve on the O for Canadian schools but it just got worse).

Also: Accepting 5 Canadian students? or enrolling 5?

Hey guys. My grandparents/uncle live in Toledo, so I've spent much time in the Detroit area (much cooler than Toledo).

I myself am Canadian. I've been complete at WSU for less than a week now. Any idea how long it will be before I get an interview invite (I haven't had any yet!).

Also, this 34+ MCAT thing...how hard/important is this? The reason I ask is, that I wrote the MCAT twice, and the first time I only got a 32O (tried to improve on the O for Canadian schools but it just got worse).

Also: Accepting 5 Canadian students? or enrolling 5?

The admissions committee meets at the beginning of every month. I was complete about a week ago too, the lady at the office said I should wait till around mid-November to hear anything, if I am to hear anything at all.

The admissions committee meets at the beginning of every month. I was complete about a week ago too, the lady at the office said I should wait till around mid-November to hear anything, if I am to hear anything at all.

Sounds good. Good luck to the both of us. :thumbup:

I've been complete since 9/7. I visited a few weeks ago (informal walk around) and loved it. I hope Wayne State contacts me, I absolutely love the school, and being from Michigan I thought I would have a good chance. However, I fear they may have passed me up.

What are your stats like DocCallaway....
Even though wayne state has (approx) 300 student class, they are VERY selective I hear...

Good luck to ya

31 MCAT, 3.67 overall, 3.60 sci. Research, collegiate golfer and other EC's.

yeah, I'll throw a rec in for the Hilton Garden Inn... a little pricey, but worth it. However, if you have an interview during the Auto show, forget it. the room rate will almost double.

Question, WHat are my chances at Wayne State??

And is there anything in specific that makes this school special, or something that separates it from the rest of the Med schools?

Question, WHat are my chances at Wayne State??

And is there anything in specific that makes this school special, or something that separates it from the rest of the Med schools?

You have a great GPA and a good MCAT, but since you're out of state you may have trouble getting in. It's worth a shot in my opinion, cause Wayne has a big class.

Wayne is big on urban medicine, and its the only medical school in metro Detroit. It has pretty much every hospital in and around the city at its disposal. The clinical exposure is pretty amazing from what I have seen. The school is pretty well rounded with good opportunity for research, but I would say that the clinical aspect of Wayne sets it apart.

Also according to MSAR and their website they super value pre-meds with hands on clinical experience (free clinic, EMT, phlebotomy).

You have a great GPA and a good MCAT, but since you're out of state you may have trouble getting in. It's worth a shot in my opinion, cause Wayne has a big class.

Wayne is big on urban medicine, and its the only medical school in metro Detroit. It has pretty much every hospital in and around the city at its disposal. The clinical exposure is pretty amazing from what I have seen. The school is pretty well rounded with good opportunity for research, but I would say that the clinical aspect of Wayne sets it apart.
Thank you!

I'm flying down there for an interviewing next monday (10/29). kinda nervous :oops:

31 MCAT, 3.67 overall, 3.60 sci. Research, collegiate golfer and other EC's.

No clinical experience? If not, that may be the problem because the rest looks great.

Some shadowing, but not too much.

Does Wayne do anything by email?

Hey Guys I was accepted to Wayne State on Oct 1 as an EDP candidate. In my interview the interviewer (Genetics Professor) really seemed to like that i volunteered in a free clinic and at a physical therapy clinic and told me to elaborate on those points. I felt like i bombed the interview as i wasnt ablet o adequately potray my personality and me and the interviewer has no connection. Otherwise my GPa and MCAt were average and i still got in....So i guess if you havent please try to get clinical experiance cuz it helps alot....
PEACE

Bus bye busy zada bhaat nahi CheifSAAB

What does clinical experience mean? Other than volunteering in hospitals, I don't really have any. Two of my research projects were medically related. Do you think if I did research at my university's hospital I'd be ok for hospital exposure?

Status
Not open for further replies.