2023-2024 Wayne State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 Wayne State Secondary Essay Prompts

1. When reflecting on the roles and responsibilities of a physician, discuss what appeals and does not appeal to you. (1250 characters)

2. How would you address the inconsistencies between medical information and disinformation? How do these inconsistencies impact patients and society? (1250 characters)

3. List healthcare issues faced by marginalized communities and include their impact on social determinants of health. How would you address them?
(1250 characters)

4. Which of your experiences or activities align with WSU SOM’s mission? Please discuss how. (1250 characters)

5. Please answer if you have had a gap (career change, re-applicant, additional education, etc.). A “gap” is defined as a period of time between the end of your undergraduate education and the start of medical school. What activities have you participated in or plan to participate in during this period? How does this relate to your future career in medicine?(1250 characters) Please mark N/A if this does not apply to you.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:
Wayne State University School of Medicine Interview Feedback

Wayne State Admissions Tracker

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
From last year: "5. Please answer if you have had a gap (career change, re-applicant, additional education, etc.). A “gap” is defined as a period of time between the end of your undergraduate education and the start of medical school. What activities have you participated in or plan to participate in during this period? How does this relate to your future career in medicine? Please mark N/A if this does not apply to you."

If I will be graduating January 2024 and matriculating July/August 2024, would this question apply to me? I'm a trad applicant but would have a ~6-month break before M1 (hopefully!).

From last year: "5. Please answer if you have had a gap (career change, re-applicant, additional education, etc.). A “gap” is defined as a period of time between the end of your undergraduate education and the start of medical school. What activities have you participated in or plan to participate in during this period? How does this relate to your future career in medicine? Please mark N/A if this does not apply to you."

If I will be graduating January 2024 and matriculating July/August 2024, would this question apply to me? I'm a trad applicant but would have a ~6-month break before M1 (hopefully!).

I don't know the answer to this (sorry!), but personally if I were you, I would try to take this opportunity to answer this question. I would mention this gap starting in January of 2024 and mention any activities planned for this time up until matriculation.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Yes, it applies to you.

"List healthcare issues faced by marginalized communities and include their impact on social determinants of health. How would you address them?"

A little confused by the wording of this question - wouldn't SDOH have an impact on healthcare issues, not vice versa? Can't tell if I'm smooth braining this one. How are people approaching this?

"List healthcare issues faced by marginalized communities and include their impact on social determinants of health. How would you address them?"

A little confused by the wording of this question - wouldn't SDOH have an impact on healthcare issues, not vice versa? Can't tell if I'm smooth braining this one. How are people approaching this?
can you post the questions please?

Also, yes SDoH normally impact healthcare issues and I think it is fine to answer the prompt that way

This is a good time to do a little research. :) We cover this in Becoming a Student Doctor.

Clue: I don't think the prompt does a great job defining "healthcare issues". A lot of issues can be loosely connected as healthcare issues. (If they struck out the word healthcare, that would be clearer. )

Message if you need to.

Last edited:
1. When reflecting on the roles and responsibilities of a physician, discuss what appeals and does not appeal to you. (1250 characters)

2. How would you address the inconsistencies between medical information and disinformation? How do these inconsistencies impact patients and society? (1250 characters)

3. List healthcare issues faced by marginalized communities and include their impact on social determinants of health. How would you address them?

4. Which of your experiences or activities align with WSU SOM’s mission? Please discuss how. (1250 characters)

5. Please answer if you have had a gap (career change, re-applicant, additional education, etc.). A “gap” is defined as a period of time between the end of your undergraduate education and the start of medical school. What activities have you participated in or plan to participate in during this period? How does this relate to your future career in medicine? Please mark N/A if this does not apply to you.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)

5. Please answer if you have had a gap (career change, re-applicant, additional education, etc.). A “gap” is defined as a period of time between the end of your undergraduate education and the start of medical school. What activities have you participated in or plan to participate in during this period? How does this relate to your future career in medicine? Please mark N/A if this does not apply to you.
THANK YOU !!!

Here to vent about the fact that we only have 1250 characters to answer questions that I can write about for days.....

Reactions: 2 users
Here to vent about the fact that we only have 1250 characters to answer questions that I can write about for days.....
Seriously! This is so frustrating. You want me to detail HOW my experiences align with the mission of WSU? That literally lets you highlight maybe one or two experiences, in a few short sentences for each.

Like just making a connection with their mission is already 600 chars for one thing.

I tackled this problem by treating the prompts as introductions/springboards for things to be talked about in interviews

It seems that people were already getting II's around this time last year?
Any predictions or insight for this cycle?

It seems that people were already getting II's around this time last year?
Any predictions or insight for this cycle?
I was thinking the same thing. Hopefully we start hearing back from the school next week? It seems that secondaries were sent a little later this year so I wouldn't be surprised if we don't hear back from them until next week or the week after.

Anybody else suddenly getting mail and emails after sending in your secondary… “apply today!” … how bout you review my secondary 🙄

Reactions: 6 users
Welp....pre-II rejection this morning

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 6 users
WSU SOM just updated their tracker:

1690387488372.png

Reactions: 8 users
Sorry to hear that. If you don't mind me asking, when were you complete and stats?
thank you and ofc..LM 70 and I completed 07/15. I have absolutely zero ties, so that/s what Im guessing I got the R. I wonder though if anyone else got a pre-II R, seems like im the only one....

^Additionally, does anyone know if the amount of applications has increased or decreased from previous year trends?

This is a dumb question, but don't social determinants of health affect the healthcare issues? for prompt 3? Like how a low SES (social determinant) might be related to not good insurance (healthcare issue)? Or should I spin it that bad insurance might be related to low SES (just as a random example)

^Additionally, does anyone know if the amount of applications has increased or decreased from previous year trends?
If it means anything, on 7/19/2022 they had 3700 apps (per last years thread). Seems like its about the same # of apps since this is later in the cycle than that. No way to tell if they are primary or secondaries.

Per MSAR, the school got a total of 8016 primaries for the 2021-2022 application year. I think the tracker is counting primaries since before they updated it for this years it showed a total of 8049 for the 2022-2023 cycle.

Hi guys! Current M1 who can try to answer any questions about Wayne. Good luck with your applications!

Reactions: 1 users
This is a dumb question, but don't social determinants of health affect the healthcare issues? for prompt 3? Like how a low SES (social determinant) might be related to not good insurance (healthcare issue)? Or should I spin it that bad insurance might be related to low SES (just as a random example)
I also noticed this and was a bit confused. I wrote about it more like how your first interpretation (social determinants of health affect healthcare issues). I feel like as long as you address both it's okay?

Is there any good place on the secondary to explain my ties to Michigan? I grew up here for a while and my mom did her residency here but there's no essay where I can explain that, and I've heard Wayne is pretty heavy on ties

Is there any good place on the secondary to explain my ties to Michigan? I grew up here for a while and my mom did her residency here but there's no essay where I can explain that, and I've heard Wayne is pretty heavy on ties
if your time growing up there showed you something about marginalized communities and healthcare, that might be a good place to start. your mom may also have insight that could allow you to mention her in the "healthcare issues faced by marginalized communities" prompt as well.

Would it be appropriate to explain specific activities you're interested in at WSUSOM for prompt #4? Like saying these activities I've done align with your mission and I want to continue them at Wayne State? Or is that technically not answering the prompt

Does anyone know how WSU screens? MSAR says they don't stat screen but that they do screen, does anyone know how exactly they screen?

Reactions: 2 users
Would it be appropriate to explain specific activities you're interested in at WSUSOM for prompt #4? Like saying these activities I've done align with your mission and I want to continue them at Wayne State? Or is that technically not answering the prompt
I talked mainly about two of my experiences, which are related to their mission, and then tied it to their mission "Similarly, WSUSOM's mission in BLANK is evidenced through this PROGRAM which I am excited to be apart of" or something along those lines.

Do they have anywhere to mention alumni ties if I have a sibling attending the med school right now, or would that not help at all?

Welp....pre-II rejection this morning
I wish you the best for the rest of your application cycle, however I am new to SDN so what is a pre-II rejection and how do you know you have been rejected? Did they send you an email or?