Wayne vs MSU CHM... need help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindWillieMCT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I got into both schools (my top two:thumbup:)

I just got into Wayne after holding an acceptance at MSU CHM for months, I originally thought I would go MSU no matter what but now I need to really think this out

Original thoughts
-Loved MSU after my interview
-Bad experience with interviewer at Wayne
-I've heard nothing but great reviews from MSU students
-Wayne students have given mixed reviews (mostly positive still)
-Wayne has higher stats for accepted applicants (= better reputation?)
-MSU is great for Primary Care, not sure what I will end up doing

$
-IS tution for both, relatively cheap and roughly equal
-Parents live close enough to commute to Wayne, taking out rent/utilities for at least one year. This makes ~8,000 for every year I could stand living at home

Instincts/Biases
-Wayne is cheaper and harder to get into, why turn it down?
-I feel like I would enjoy MSU CHM more (but who knows, right?)

Overall I like the idea of going to either one. So help me out, please give any insight you may have into either school and/or my thoughts above

TIA:D

Members don't see this ad.

I am in exactly the same position. Are you EL or GR at CHM? I feel like I'd rather be in Detroit than east Lansing but the Grand Rapids campus at CHM seems pretty legit.

Not having to take out loans for living expenses is awesome. Also, I think wayne is more prestigious and certainly has more residency programs at their school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in exactly the same position. Are you EL or GR at CHM? I feel like I'd rather be in Detroit than east Lansing but the Grand Rapids campus at CHM seems pretty legit.

EL, went to undergrad at MSU and worked in EMS in Lansing. I love East Lansing and have a great apartment right next to the med school lined up.

Taking MSU here, hands down, and my goal is not primary care. But following the money is not a bad idea.

I had the same dilemma - I chose Wayne State. It's reputation, hands on experience, new building, are zero to none compared to MSU. I am confident I made the right decision, but everyone doesn't always have the same 'right' answer. I have no doubt I will be able to be trained as an outstanding physician at Wayne and have actually been told by residency directors/hospital recruiters that Wayne is more attractive of a school than is MSU currently. Several physicians I shadowed also told me they feel Wayne is a better school then is MSU and I had already known more anatomy than most of the MSU students did coming in to do clinical work. Take it as you will, but I am impressed with Wayne.

Its funny because the same things that you say made you pick WSU are what are making me pick MSU. But like you said, both are going to attract IS students for their specific reasons so really it comes down to which one you felt better about.

I had the same dilemma - I chose Wayne State. It's reputation, hands on experience, new building, are zero to none compared to MSU. I am confident I made the right decision, but everyone doesn't always have the same 'right' answer. I have no doubt I will be able to be trained as an outstanding physician at Wayne and have actually been told by residency directors/hospital recruiters that Wayne is more attractive of a school than is MSU currently. Several physicians I shadowed also told me they feel Wayne is a better school then is MSU and I had already known more anatomy than most of the MSU students did coming in to do clinical work. Take it as you will, but I am impressed with Wayne.

Thanks for the details, looking over the budget I think I would actually save over $10,000 a year living at home. That's pretty hard to ignore, I think it is just hard because for so many months I was mentally prepped to go to MSU.

I'm startin to really lean towards Wayne, my apologies to those waiting for my spot!

I was in the exact same position! I chose Wayne and will be living at home. For me, Wayne just had a better feel than MSU and the students seemed to be extremely happy there. I really like urban settings and think training in Detroit will be an advantage. Good luck with your decision!

Status
Not open for further replies.