2022-2023 Wayne State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Pre II R

Members don't see this ad.

Does this quote below mean if we have another acceptance, we just like.. can't move forward with scheduling or anything regarding enrolling on the chance we get off the AL? This is so neurotic but just wondering if anyone can shed clarity on this for me. Thanks!

"ALTERNATE/WAIT LIST OFFERS: You will have five business days to respond to an acceptance offer from WSUSOM between May 3, 2023 and May 31, 2023. After June 1, 2023, you will have two business days to respond to an offer. We will not offer places to any candidate if they have attended orientation or enrolled in classes at another medical school OR have selected “COMMIT TO ENROLL” at another medical school. Wayne State University School of Medicine follows all AAMC Application and Acceptance Protocols and expects all applicants to be familiar with the Application and Acceptance Protocols for Applicants."

Source: https://www.med.wayne.edu/admission...d_expectations_for_admitted_students_2023.pdf

Members don't see this ad :)
Does this quote below mean if we have another acceptance, we just like.. can't move forward with scheduling or anything regarding enrolling on the chance we get off the AL? This is so neurotic but just wondering if anyone can shed clarity on this for me. Thanks!

"ALTERNATE/WAIT LIST OFFERS: You will have five business days to respond to an acceptance offer from WSUSOM between May 3, 2023 and May 31, 2023. After June 1, 2023, you will have two business days to respond to an offer. We will not offer places to any candidate if they have attended orientation or enrolled in classes at another medical school OR have selected “COMMIT TO ENROLL” at another medical school. Wayne State University School of Medicine follows all AAMC Application and Acceptance Protocols and expects all applicants to be familiar with the Application and Acceptance Protocols for Applicants."

Source: https://www.med.wayne.edu/admission...d_expectations_for_admitted_students_2023.pdf
After April 30, you will have the option to select “plan to enroll” or “commit to enroll” for the preferred school. If you select “plan to enroll”, you can hold onto waitlist positions. If you select “commit to enroll”, you withdraw all your other applications. So the policy is saying that if you select “commit to enroll” for your desired school, you will be taken off Wayne’s waitlist.

Reactions: 1 user
After April 30, you will have the option to select “plan to enroll” or “commit to enroll” for the preferred school. If you select “plan to enroll”, you can hold onto waitlist positions. If you select “commit to enroll”, you withdraw all your other applications. So the policy is saying that if you select “commit to enroll” for your desired school, you will be taken off Wayne’s waitlist.
Thank you for the info! Will they also be notified if I commit to enrolling in a DO program? Thanks in advance!

wait.. i’m WL here so basically if i don’t hear back from wsu by may 1 and i put commit to enroll somewhere else since i haven’t heard back from wsu then i’m automatically removed from their WL??

wait.. i’m WL here so basically if i don’t hear back from wsu by may 1 and i put commit to enroll somewhere else since i haven’t heard back from wsu then i’m automatically removed from their WL??
Yes, but that’s why “plan to enroll” is an option.

However, every school has its own “commit to enroll” deadline, meaning you have to choose that option by a certain date in order to hold onto your acceptance. So look that up for your other school if you choose to use the “plan to enroll”.

AMCAs website has more info than I do so I would look there if you’re still confused.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm pretty sure the acceptance tracker has been at 451 A's for at least a month or two now. Are they waiting until April to start accepting students again? Has it been like this in previous years? I've been on the waitlist since November and I'm reealllly hoping to get off!

Reactions: 1 users
I'm pretty sure the acceptance tracker has been at 451 A's for at least a month or two now. Are they waiting until April to start accepting students again? Has it been like this in previous years? I've been on the waitlist since November and I'm reealllly hoping to get off!
i’m sure they are periodically looking at the AL. I was taken off in November so movement can happen at anytime. I think a lot of people are still holding onto multiple As until the deadline to narrow down in April

Got an II for the 3-Year MD program! Has anyone had this interview yet and know what to expect?

Members don't see this ad :)
current student here! what questions do you have?
Not sure what year you are, but do you feel that the large class size hinders you from having a lot of unique opportunities? i.e. rotations in hospitals, research, volunteering, etc.

thanks for taking the time! could you talk a little about how clinical rotations work here (ie how are sites chosen, electives scheduled etc)? are there opportunities for early clinical exposure to non-core specialties?

also class-wise is there internal ranking? would you say it's competitive among your classmates? how much/what kind of support do you get from professors and educators? how well-prepared did you feel for boards and what steps did you have to take outside of class to put your best foot forward there?

how easy is it to find research here? is it something most/a lot of students partake in?

thank you!!

Not sure what year you are, but do you feel that the large class size hinders you from having a lot of unique opportunities? i.e. rotations in hospitals, research, volunteering, etc.
No, the large class size does not hinder me or other students from the opportunities you mentioned.

thanks for taking the time! could you talk a little about how clinical rotations work here (ie how are sites chosen, electives scheduled etc)? are there opportunities for early clinical exposure to non-core specialties?

also class-wise is there internal ranking? would you say it's competitive among your classmates? how much/what kind of support do you get from professors and educators? how well-prepared did you feel for boards and what steps did you have to take outside of class to put your best foot forward there?

how easy is it to find research here? is it something most/a lot of students partake in?

thank you!!
You put in a preference and the school does a lottery system to decide which students will be going to what site as there are a limited amount of spots at each site. Support is there if you need it. I felt well prepared for boards by using third party materials during M1 and M2 to learn as well as keeping up with Anki. My experience finding research was not difficult and I would say the majority of the people I know here are involved in research in some way or another. Any other questions are welcome via DM.

Do most student from Metro-Detroit live in their hometown or do a good amount move downtown? Also any tips for starting school/studying like desk essentials something like that

Do most student from Metro-Detroit live in their hometown or do a good amount move downtown? Also any tips for starting school/studying like desk essentials something like that
I would say the people who are local stay home with their parents and OOS students live Downtown by the school. I would have a good laptop that will last you all four years, good headphones/earphones, and a good desk and/or chair. If you really want you can familiarize yourself with Anki by watching Anking’s videos on YouTube.

You put in a preference and the school does a lottery system to decide which students will be going to what site as there are a limited amount of spots at each site. Support is there if you need it. I felt well prepared for boards by using third party materials during M1 and M2 to learn as well as keeping up with Anki. My experience finding research was not difficult and I would say the majority of the people I know here are involved in research in some way or another. Any other questions are welcome via DM.
@frozenyogurt123 I’m currently finishing up M3 and I have a few things to add to this.

I heard that 86% of the rising M3s got assigned to their first or second choice clinical site, so the large class size doesn’t really affect your ability to get 3rd year rotations. When it comes to 4th year rotations, we were a little short on pediatric, OB/GYN, psych, and anesthesia rotations, but the school was able to work out some solutions for students who needed a rotation but weren’t able to get it. As long as you’re willing to cold call/email faculty you should have no problem finding research.

I didn’t use a lot of 3rd party materials as an M1/2 prior to starting dedicated and I did well on Step I, although very few students chose my strategy.

@frozenyogurt123 I’m currently finishing up M3 and I have a few things to add to this.

I heard that 86% of the rising M3s got assigned to their first or second choice clinical site, so the large class size doesn’t really affect your ability to get 3rd year rotations. When it comes to 4th year rotations, we were a little short on pediatric, OB/GYN, psych, and anesthesia rotations, but the school was able to work out some solutions for students who needed a rotation but weren’t able to get it. As long as you’re willing to cold call/email faculty you should have no problem finding research.

I didn’t use a lot of 3rd party materials as an M1/2 prior to starting dedicated and I did well on Step I, although very few students chose my strategy.
how did u study for step?

how did u study for step?
I didn't open Uworld until the first day of dedicated, but then I did 80-100 Uworld questions per day, and used First Aid/Up to Date/occasionally class notes to do targeted content reviews. I also did 1 CBSE, 1 Uworld half length, and 1 NBME half length.

Is the tracker accurate or has it not been updated in a while?

Has anyone been offered / completed an interview for the three-year MD program? I am curious what the interview will be like as I have no basis to speculate from

I have withdrew my acceptance here and hope it goes to one of yall GL

• Care
Reactions: 8 users
Hi everyone! Is there a GroupMe for the new accepted class yet? If there is, could anyone send me the link to join!

Does anyone know to who we should address LOIs and if we should email them OR submit them to the portal? I would really appreciate any advice.

its honors/pass/fails, im unsure what percentage of people get honors though...
Grading in M1/M2 is P/F, BUT if you score above either a 92 or 1SD above the class mean (it seems to keep on changing) for the entirety of M1 (or M2) you get comprehensive honors for that segment (there is no option to individually honor each M1 or M2 class).

Reactions: 2 users
Grading in M1/M2 is P/F, BUT if you score above either a 92 or 1SD above the class mean (it seems to keep on changing) for the entirety of M1 (or M2) you get comprehensive honors for that segment (there is no option to individually honor each M1 or M2 class).
Did you feel like this grading system made life hard? I would imagine at least some students stressing about trying to obtain honors.

Did you feel like this grading system made life hard? I would imagine at least some students stressing about trying to obtain honors.
Despite having this grading system, my class maintained a collaborative environment. Most people don't worry about grades a lot during M1-M2, but your grades in M1/M2 are factored into your MSPE ranking (you need comprehensive honors in M1+2 to get the very top tier, and you need at least an 84 to get the next highest tier).