2022-2023 Wayne State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @AstroSidekick for sharing this year's questions

2022-2023 Wayne State Secondary Essay Prompts (1250 character limit each)
  1. What characteristics and qualities are necessary for successful leadership? Do you think all physicians should be leaders? Please discuss your reasons.
  2. How would you address discordance between medical information vs disinformation? Discuss any impact on patients and society.
  3. What healthcare issues are faced by marginalized communities? Include the impact of at least one social determinant of health.
  4. Which of your experiences or activities align with WSU SOM’s mission? Please discuss how.
  5. Please answer if you have had a gap (career change, re-applicant, additional education, etc.). A “gap” is defined as a period of time between the end of your undergraduate education and the start of medical school. What activities have you participated in or plan to participate in during this period? How does this relate to your future career in medicine? Please mark N/A if this does not apply to you.
  6. If you are NOT a U.S. or Canadian citizen, please list and upload a copy of your current U.S. visa(s), including a permanent residency card (green card). *Please note, that non-Canadian international applicants are only eligible for admission if they have completed a degree at Wayne State University. International applicants are NOT eligible for federal student financial aid and must provide proof of funding prior to matriculation.
Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
Wayne State University School of Medicine Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
@wysdoc 1250 characters for each. $100 secondary.
  1. What characteristics and qualities are necessary for successful leadership? Do you think all physicians should be leaders? Please discuss your reasons.
  2. How would you address discordance between medical information vs disinformation? Discuss any impact on patients and society.
  3. What healthcare issues are faced by marginalized communities? Include the impact of at least one social determinant of health.
  4. Which of your experiences or activities align with WSU SOM’s mission? Please discuss how.
  5. Please answer if you have had a gap (career change, re-applicant, additional education, etc.). A “gap” is defined as a period of time between the end of your undergraduate education and the start of medical school. What activities have you participated in or plan to participate in during this period? How does this relate to your future career in medicine? Please mark N/A if this does not apply to you.
  6. If you are NOT a U.S. or Canadian citizen, please list and upload a copy of your current U.S. visa(s), including a permanent residency card (green card). *Please note, that non-Canadian international applicants are only eligible for admission if they have completed a degree at Wayne State University. International applicants are NOT eligible for federal student financial aid and must provide proof of funding prior to matriculation.

Reactions: 1 users
OOS secondary received :') but why did they change the prompts lmfao

• Haha
Funny enough I talked about prompt two on another secondary when discussing COVID got lucky I guess cuz I prewrote the old prompts T.T

Second year student here. Let me know throughout the cycle if y'all have any questions.

can anyone clarify #2, specifically, the part "How would you address discordance between medical information vs disinformation?"

Members don't see this ad :)
can anyone clarify #2, specifically, the part "How would you address discordance between medical information vs disinformation?"
I think this is mainly focused on the issue with COVID in America and how there was so much misinformation. How would you as a physician address this with your patients? Community? What would you do specifically? I would focus on that. I also discussed misinformation and history of mistrust in the medical community. I personally know a lot of people in the hispanic community who did not trust the vaccine and talked about past medical events that led to this (tuskagee is a good example). I mean my mother in law is refusing the COVID vaccine still because a freinds daughter who is a nurse told her it was dangerous! She would rather not get it than see her grand-daughter (requirement we made) it is nuts and sad at the same time.

I took it as how you, as a physician in the future, would handle a situation where a patient believes medically false information to be true.

Does anyone know what they mean when they say "2 of the 3 letters of recommendation must be from faculty members"? I've emailed them but received a really generic response...does it have to come from a science professor? what about university faculty who are not professors? so confused, any help is appreciated

Does anyone know what they mean when they say "2 of the 3 letters of recommendation must be from faculty members"? I've emailed them but received a really generic response...does it have to come from a science professor? what about university faculty who are not professors? so confused, any help is appreciated
Im guessing advisors count not just profs

If you google what faculty member means, it says "a person who teaches a course offered for academic credit by an institution of higher education". By definition, I believe that they're requiring 2 letters from professors but I don't think they have to be science profs.

I mean I got a committee letter so hoping that is good enough
From their website: "A secondary application must include a statement from the pre-medical advisory committee at your college or university, or three letters of recommendation — with at least two from faculty members."

It's definitely enough. I think by"statement" they mean a committee letter.

For "4. Which of your experiences or activities align with WSU SOM’s mission?", do I need to limit my answer to the AMCAS experiences/activities, or can I discuss my background as well?

For "4. Which of your experiences or activities align with WSU SOM’s mission?", do I need to limit my answer to the AMCAS experiences/activities, or can I discuss my background as well?
I think given that it says "experiences" you could also use something like that! I think as long as you tie it into the mission and it's significant to you as an applicant that should be fine.

Ok so I'm pretty sure the answer is yes, but just want to ask bc I'm overthinking the "gap" question. So I'm a reapplicant but I also recently graduated with my bachelor's this year in June, would I still answer this question?

Ok so I'm pretty sure the answer is yes, but just want to ask bc I'm overthinking the "gap" question. So I'm a reapplicant but I also recently graduated with my bachelor's this year in June, would I still answer this question?
Yes, because it will have been a year of you out of school until the time you plan on matriculating (2023). I would discuss what you are currently doing and what you look to do in the upcoming year before matriculating.

Can someone clarify what they mean by "one social determinant of health." for question #3?

Took me a little while to turn this one back around, but I really liked the questions. Broke away from stereotypical secondary questions and made really think and gave me a chance to really articulate myself. Hoping I have success at this school :). Good luck everyone!

Also, if there are any current students - could you share a bit about your experience as a student at WSU SOM? What is the vibe of the cohort? Is school leadership supportive/responsive? Anything WSU SOM does really good? Anything you wish they did a bit better? Thank you!

Reactions: 4 users
OOS II just now! LM 76.80 v average ecs so im shocked lol
ETA: i submitted secondary/was complete 7/14

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
IS II about 30 mins ago :)

IS II about an hour ago! Complete 7/11

Last edited:
Hi just wondering how people approached the first essay? Did people just list traits to respond to the first question? I was going to do this, but found it to be a weak introduction

Anyone know if they review applications linearly or have experience getting an interview later even if you submitted early? I submitted 07/08 and no II :'(

Hi just wondering how people approached the first essay? Did people just list traits to respond to the first question? I was going to do this, but found it to be a weak introduction
I did list traits, then expanded on why those traits were necessary/how they would be used.

Anyone know if they review applications linearly or have experience getting an interview later even if you submitted early? I submitted 07/08 and no II :'(
When I applied for the first time in 2020, they sent IIs in batches. The timing of II batches somewhat corresponded to the completion time, but I rmbr when I got my II in nov/december (second or third til last II batch), a lot of ppl who received IIs were earlier apps too. So I wouldn't worry too much.

i gave a short anecdote that showed what i thought a leader should be like, and then applied those qualities to medicine

I looked at their tracker right now, its at 77 interviews out of 3700 apps. Last year they sent out ~600 interviews at the end of July out of ~3700 apps. I severely doubt they only invited 77 people for interviews for those complete from 7/6-7/14. I Just have no idea how they're reviewing apps or in what order.

Reactions: 2 users
I looked at their tracker right now, its at 77 interviews out of 3700 apps. Last year they sent out ~600 interviews at the end of July out of ~3700 apps. I severely doubt they only invited 77 people for interviews for those complete from 7/6-7/14. I Just have no idea how they're reviewing apps or in what order.
I'm guessing it's a lot of ED and above-median stat RD applicants who were invited.

How do you look at the tracker?

Reactions: 3 users
IS secondary received 7/6, submitted 7/12, II 7/18 🤯

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users