2022-2023 Wayne State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any current medication student lurking right now that I can ask questions to? I don’t drive and I heard that it’s gonna be hard to travel to hospitals during clinical rotations if one doesn’t drive, any advice for this type of situation cause I’ve been stressing over this?

Members don't see this ad.

Received an A this morning off the WL! I will not be accepting, I hope it goes to one of yall! :)

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Any current medication student lurking right now that I can ask questions to? I don’t drive and I heard that it’s gonna be hard to travel to hospitals during clinical rotations if one doesn’t drive, any advice for this type of situation cause I’ve been stressing over this?
Current M4 here, you will most definitely need a car as an M3. Regardless of which hospital you do your core rotations at, you will have to do something at a satellite clinic/hospital (IE students rotating at St John do their family medicine rotation at a clinic that is a 10-15 minute drive away, and students at Henry Ford might have to go to Henry Ford Wyandotte for part of their OB/GYN rotation).
Also, during some of your rotations you will have to be at the hospital very early in the morning, and on some you might get off very late.
Detroit public transit is not the greatest and I would not recommend relying on it.

There is hope for IS people!! I was just accepted off of the waitlist - I have been on the waitlist since October.
517, 3.9x, IS ORM

• Care
Current M4 here, you will most definitely need a car as an M3. Regardless of which hospital you do your core rotations at, you will have to do something at a satellite clinic/hospital (IE students rotating at St John do their family medicine rotation at a clinic that is a 10-15 minute drive away, and students at Henry Ford might have to go to Henry Ford Wyandotte for part of their OB/GYN rotation).
Also, during some of your rotations you will have to be at the hospital very early in the morning, and on some you might get off very late.
Detroit public transit is not the greatest and I would not recommend relying on it.
For students who don’t drive what options do they pursue? Cause idk if I can afford a car or take driving lessons at this time…

Cause idk if I can afford a car or take driving lessons at this time…
Not to be too blunt but this is the Midwest. You need to drive M3. You have two years to figure something out before then.

Reactions: 1 user
Doesn’t clerkship start the second half of year 2?
Clerkships for the incoming class would start in March/April of 2025 (If I am mathing correctly lol), but you will have a clinical placement that you will need to go to 1-2x a month during M2. This could be at DMC (aka you could easily walk there), but I feel like the majority of students are placed at smaller clinics or branches that essentially require you to drive there. You could get away with just using Uber or Lyft during M2, but that will add up very quickly during M3

Clerkships for the incoming class would start in March/April of 2025 (If I am mathing correctly lol), but you will have a clinical placement that you will need to go to 1-2x a month during M2. This could be at DMC (aka you could easily walk there), but I feel like the majority of students are placed at smaller clinics or branches that essentially require you to drive there. You could get away with just using Uber or Lyft during M2, but that will add up very quickly during M3
How about during M4?

Members don't see this ad :)
How about during M4?
I am only an M2, so I can't really speak from personal experience regarding M4. I'm pretty sure you will have elective rotations, audition rotations, and maybe some more during M4, but I think it would be better if an M4 answers this

How about during M4?
It all depends on where you are and what you want to do. If you’re planning on going into something like IM you could probably get by without a car as long as you lived near DMC or Henry Ford. If you’re interested in some of the more specialized fields (like anesthesia) or fields where rotation spots can be tight (OB/GYN) you will probably end up rotating at multiple sites.
For CEC, there are a limited number of spots available in midtown for people who cannot/do not drive, but the school will not guarantee you a spot at one of those clinics

In the process of registering for classes and I see only 163/ 300 seats remaining to enroll in in first year classes, def think seats are still available.

Will be withdrawing cause idk how to drive LOL :rofl:. Hoping someone here gets it and best of luck to everyone <3

Curious on the grading at Wayne. Is it honors/pass/fail preclinical and clinical? Also, do they rank students preclinical and use it for AOA? And is there any limit on the number of students that can get honors? Just curious about all aspects, please let me know if I missed something.

Curious on the grading at Wayne. Is it honors/pass/fail preclinical and clinical? Also, do they rank students preclinical and use it for AOA? And is there any limit on the number of students that can get honors? Just curious about all aspects, please let me know if I missed something.
It's completely P/F during M1 and M2. If for the whole school year, you have an overall grade that is 1 S.D. above the overall average of your class, you get honors for that school year. Clinicals is P/F and if you get X% of pts, you get honors. There's no set number of students that can get honors for preclinicals or clinicals. I'm not 100% sure how AOA works here, so maybe an M3 or M4 can answer that.

It's completely P/F during M1 and M2. If for the whole school year, you have an overall grade that is 1 S.D. above the overall average of your class, you get honors for that school year. Clinicals is P/F and if you get X% of pts, you get honors. There's no set number of students that can get honors for preclinicals or clinicals. I'm not 100% sure how AOA works here, so maybe an M3 or M4 can answer that.
Thanks for replying. Also, are the students ranked preclinical?

Not sure if there has been a curriculum shift, but I heard from an M4 that you are internally ranked. They said they found out while applying for residency.

The top 10% of the class in M1 and M2 are invited to apply during M3. The top 25% of the class during are invited to apply during M4. Once invited to apply, students have to go through an application process that assesses their leadership, service, and research. Applications have not gone out yet so I cannot provide more information about this.

Not sure if there has been a curriculum shift, but I heard from an M4 that you are internally ranked. They said they found out while applying for residency.
Based on your grades across M1-3 you are given a superlative on your MSPE that corresponds to your place in the class (IE exceptional is given to the top 5% of the class).

Hey everyone! Accepted from the alternate list on 5/25 but I will be turning down the A. Good luck to everyone!

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
for anyone accepted from the WL, how many days did you have to PTE? and when are the CTE and start dates for this school? ty!

Just got accepted off waitlist!!! Interviewed in oct, OOS and my first acceptance

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users
for anyone accepted from the WL, how many days did you have to PTE? and when are the CTE and start dates for this school? ty!
You have 5 business days to PTE. CTE deadline is June 14. Orientation starts July 5.

Edit: June 14, not 15. Also after June 1, you will only have 2 business days to PTE.

Have any IS people gotten in lately? seems like only OOS

Reactions: 1 users
Just got off the WL today! OOS, interviewed in Feb and was put on the WL in early March (-:

For my fellow admitted students... I haven't registered for classes yet. Is there a deadline for that? I figure by June 14th obviously as that is the CTE date, but I didn't see any notes about a deadline otherwise.

Gave up my WL spot ! I love Wayne but attending another school I love who had an earlier CTE date!!!

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted off the WL today and will be turning down the A. I hope it goes to one of you!

Reactions: 4 users
I’m sure it’s a dumb question, but anyone know what the dress code in the classroom is? I can’t tell if it’s whatever or business casual

I’m sure it’s a dumb question, but anyone know what the dress code in the classroom is? I can’t tell if it’s whatever or business casual
Casual default unless you’re in Kado Clinical Skills or P4 (business casual/clinic wear)

This time last year the tracker was already at like 680 acceptances but the tracker for this cycle is only at 532. Is the 532 still accurate?